*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1208753-One-Night
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1208753
A one night stand with a stranger. One mans search for happiness Follow the clues.
Joseph woke up with a ray of bright sunshine streaming across his face. He looked around and surveyed the room. Memories flooded his mind of the night before. Where to start?

He was in New Orleans on business. Another boring meeting of the board of directors was being held at the hotel. After the meeting he overheard two people talking about a party. What was the name of the hotel where the party was being held? A stroke of luck, it was at the hotel where he was staying. In one insane moment he decided to crash the party. What was the worst that could happen? They could throw him out. Even that would make a good story to tell his friends back home. The decision was made.

The party was a big one. So many people in one place. He hung around by the door and listened to peoples' conversations. He overheard some names and dropped them with security at the door. Entry was easier than he thought it would be. Actually, he never thought he would get this far.

It was a great party. The food was fantastic and the drinks were free. Joseph ordered a scotch and mingled with the guests. He engaged in some trivial conversations with various people and made the rounds. He overheard some people say that Ed and Julie had not arrived yet and that they were supposed to be flying in from Boston. Something about the flight from Boston being delayed. This was his ticket in. He was a friend of Ed and Julie. He was from Boston and his name was Jim Davis. A little white lie to keep his true identity a secret. After all, he was just here for fun and not to make lifelong friends.

He had a few drinks and was enjoying the party when he realized how late it was. He had the final meeting to attend tomorrow and it was time to make his exit. He was heading for the main door when he saw her. She had a natural beauty that made him stop in his tracks. He guessed a few more minutes wouldn't hurt. She was engaged in conversation with several people and he decided he would try to ease his way in. He made his way across the room.

The group was discussing people who had not made it to the party. Of course, his good friends Ed and Julie came up. Excuse me, he said, did I hear you say Ed and Julie won't be making the party? He listened intently as the people went on about the flight being delayed. He was quiet and tried to gain some basic knowledge of who Ed and Julia were. He added as little to the conversation as possible so as not to be caught in his little web of lies.

Finally Joseph got his nerve up and asked the girl what her name was. She told him her name was Megan. Then he held his breath and asked if she knew Ed and Julie. To his complete and utter relief, she said no she was a friend of Bevs. They talked about the party and he told her about himself. He told her the truth for the most part. Everything except his real name, of course.
She was so easy to talk to and they wound up talking and drinking for hours. Time slipped away without him really noticing. Somehow in the early hours of the morning he had talked her into going to his hotel room for a drink. To his great surprise, she said yes.

As they entered the hotel room he reached out and touched her face and gently kissed her. She stared at him intently for a moment and explained that she had never kissed a total stranger before. To which he said; we are not total strangers, we have mutual friends.They fell into each others arms and the passion was overwhelming. It was the best night he could never even imagine. It was wild and free. She was breathtaking and he couldn't get enough of her. The last thought he had before falling asleep was; she doesn't even know my real name. There would be time for that tomorrow though. He decided tomorrow he would come clean, whatever the consequences. Tonight, he was the happiest he had ever been.

As he was surveying the room the next morning, the first thing that he noticed was the absence of his female companion. It couldn't have been a dream because he still smelled a slight scent of her perfume. As he looked around he noticed his clothed were on the chair folded neatly. He was sure that wasn't where he left them. He got up and looked around. He checked the bathroom, but there was no sign of her anywhere. Actually there was no sign she had ever been there. All he knew was he wanted her back. He had to find her. The meeting didn't matter. It was half over anyway. The only thing that mattered was finding her.

Joseph got his things together and straightened up the room. He searched every place he could think of to find some trace of her. There was nothing. He didn't even have a place to start. He did not know her last name. Every scenario he thought of sounded crazy. He really had nothing to go on. It was hopeless.

He got dressed and packed his bags. He sat down for just a moment on the bed to collect his thoughts before leaving the room. That was when he saw it. It was across the room underneath the desk. A single piece of paper lay there in the dark. Was this a clue to her identity? Did he have even the slightest chance of finding her again? He walked across the room and picked up the piece of paper. He stood there staring at it for some time. It was a receipt for the purchase of a book. To his surprise it was from a store in a town about 20 miles from where he lived. He knew it wasn't his, but what were the chances that it was hers. He put it in his coat pocket and went to check out.

Joseph was on the plane flying back home. The events of the last two days wore heavily on his mind. All he knew is that he wanted to see her again. If there was even the slightest chance he could find her, he would pursue it to the end of his options. He reached in his coat pocket and pulled out the receipt. There was a time of purchase, the clerks name, and the name of the store on the receipt. He even knew her first name. It wasn't much to go on, but at least it was a place to start.





© Copyright 2007 N Moore (pirates1955 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1208753-One-Night