*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1209082-The-Big-Decision
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1209082
This is the very real story of a decision I was faced with when I was younger.
The directions on the package said to wait 3 minutes for results. Less than 30 seconds later, I was staring at 2 pink lines and facing the biggest decision of my life. My childhood dreams of motherhood had never included poverty and hardships.My husband and I were 19 year old college students making minimum wage while living with my grandparents. My desire to be a mother warred with fears for the future.

Six weeks later we were homeless, unemployed, and unable to return to college.
For three weeks we lived in a car, showering at a friend's house. Welfare provided food and medical help, but the waiting list for housing was years long.How could we possibly care for a child when we couldn't care for ourselves?

The sonogram made my decision for me. Watching my son move and kick,
I knew there was no choice. We would do what we had to do. Randy took a fast-food job, and we found a small apartment. I found a job answering phones.
Two weeks before my son was born, my husband got a much better job.

I have never regretted keeping my son. While we have never been rich, we've never gone hungry or homeless again. They told me this one wasn't so important.
I was young and could have plenty more later, when I could afford them.Despite nine years of trying, Eddie remains my only child.How empty might my life be
if I had waited until I could afford a child?
© Copyright 2007 BMMiller (brandymmiller at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1209082-The-Big-Decision