*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1209098-A-Midnight-Dance-Chapter-two
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1209098
The continuation of A Midnight Dance, feedback would be great!
Chapter Two



The lunch room was crowded as always. I strolled in slightly dazed from what just happened. That guy was so….I couldn’t even come up with a word. Something also bothered me about him. I couldn’t read his thoughts. I tried but all I got was those of the people around us. I decided not to tell Madissa. She would want to notify The Council and I didn’t want to have to explain why the guy had to drag me off of a human.

I got gawks from everyone who witnessed the fight, as I made my way to the table. I tuned out their pressing thoughts, most of them asking how I knew that guy. Garr. I was so irritated I could just spit. Madissa was waiting with a very worried look on her face. I tried to remain passive.

“Hey, how weird was that, huh?” I laughed a little but all humor died as Madissa's face turned to immediate anger.

“I can’t believe you!” She raised her voice slightly.

“Wow what is your problem?” I asked a little confused.

“You like him. I can’t believe it. I thought I saw this last night but I didn’t believe it.” She sat down abruptly and took out her thermos.

“What is the big deal? So I kind of like a human. It isn’t going to go anywhere because I know it can’t. So calm down, okay. You’re scary when you’re mad.” Gezz Madissa could really be a party pooper. So she dreamed of me meeting someone last night. I had to have details. But I never got a chance to ask.

The cafeteria doors burst opened and in marched Mr. Heckle, Mrs. Fisher, and Stacy. At the sight of them coming toward my table I knew I was in trouble. The thought of running crossed my mind but then the school would know I was a coward. Plus I would be in even more trouble for leaving school early. Since I had a few seconds before they reached my table I decided to slip into their minds.

First was Mrs. Fisher. As I listened to her thoughts I wanted to get up and strangle the old meat-pack. “I have waited four years for you to screw up and it is finally here. Luckily Stacy has marks to prove you guilty”

She’s waited four years, huh? Well that just made my day. Next I slipped into Stacy’s mind. What I heard almost made me laugh. “Stupid Jhena, making me look bad in front of the school. I’ll show you! You’ll get suspended and then I can pursue the b-e-a-utiful new guy who just so happened to come to my rescue! That will show you! Just like Billy State! Ha-ha.”

I struggled against the need to rip her throat out as I entered Mr. Heckles thought. To my surprise he wasn’t angry with me. “Way to go Jhena. I was wondering when you would put Stacy in her place. Evil girl. Her aura is all wrong. Gah, I’ll have to wait till I can tell you I’m proud because I don’t think I’ll make a good impression is I start congratulating students for beating up others, no matter how horrid the other student is.”

A smile stretched across my face as the trio reached my table. To calm my nerves I took a long drink from my thermos. Ahh, O-positive, my favorite. I’d have to thank my mom when I got home. Redirecting my attention back to the on comers, I braced myself for the consequence.

“You’ve done it this time Jhena! You will be expelled for sure.” Mrs. Fisher smiled inward as she laid out my punishment.

“What’s wrong Stacy? Had to go tattle on me cuz for once I kicked your ass.” I smirked as I added, “Snitches run even lower on the popularity line than losers of fights.”

“Jhena-“she started but Mr. Heckle interrupted.

“Stacy hush! Now Mrs. Fisher, since I am the principle I will come up with the punishment.” Uh oh, here it comes. “One week of after school detention and the wonderful job of assisting the new kid in school tours and anything else he may need. Oh and Madissa, the young man has a cousin I’d like you to be in charge of. It’s a bit much to expect Jhena to handle both new boys. Come to my office after lunch Madi and I’ll introduce you.”

Stacy’s jaw hit the floor. Wow. So I beat up my enemy, met the human of my dreams, got out of hard punishment, and got to hang out with a new kid. This day just keeps getting better and better.

“I expect you to be present this afternoon, Mrs. Vac’nolli.” And with that Mr. Heckle turned and walked away, a sulking Mrs. Fisher trailing behind. Stacy however remained silent and starring.

“Can I help you Stacy.” I said, trying hard to sound concerned.

She glared at me and turned away. As she stalked out of the lunchroom she yelled, “This isn’t over Vac’nolli.”

The room went into its usual chatter and I turned my attention back to Madissa. She was still angry based on the look she was giving me.

“See, it’s not that bad. All I got was detention and the privilege of showing around some new kid, whoever they are.”

“Jhena what happens if The Council finds out you were in another fight with a human, not to mention the same human as before? Oh and the new kid your showing around is the guy who pulled you off of Stacy today.” I started and shook my head in disbelief. “Yeah, I thought you’d feel that way.”

I cleared my throat before saying, “I can handle it. And The Council won’t find out. No one knows except us and some students. It’s not like anyone here can get the info back to them anyway. Don’t worry” I stood and began to walk away. “I’ve got everything under control.”

***

No way did I have everything under control. Not only was I losing Madissa’s companionship for a meat sack but I was gaining the companionship of a meat sack. I made my way down the hall to detention and wished that I could go home. I also wished I had a liter sized mug of O-positive to calm my nerves. Oh well. I swallowed hard when I reached the detention room and opened the door.

Mr. Heckle was seated at the teacher’s desk, the room was totally empty. I made my way to a seat in the back and sat, putting my head down on the desk.

“Jhena, I’m happy to see you. So this is how detention works. You come in, no talking, and work on stuff from other classes. Is that clear?”

“Yes, Mr. Heckle. What if I have all my homework done though?” I made my voice slightly whinny and didn’t lift my head.

“Then you can just sit there quietly. Oh wait I have something for you.” He got up and walked over to me with a file in his hand. It plopped onto my desk and I looked up at him confused.

“What’s this?”

“Oh I wanted you to be well informed on our new student. The last thing I need is for you two to fight over things you don’t know about each other. And yes Daden has a file on you too.”

That scared me and not a lot of things scare a vampire. Some other student had my personal file and was getting to know me. I just hope there isn’t anything embarrassing in there.

“Umm, okay, thanks Mr. Heckle. I’ll get to reading then.”

“Good, he should be here soon so you guys can meet.”

I swallowed hard. We had already met. Not really looking forward to another meeting but that’s okay. We were going to be forced to work together anyway so I might as well get used to it.
Mr. Heckle walked back and I opened the file. There was a nice picture of Mr. Musk-and-pine-fresh on the inside cover. I read the basic information.

Name: Daden Loren
Age: 17
Sex: M
Transfer: home schooled

Interesting I thought. He came to school for his senior year. Huh. The rest of the file was his grades, all A’s, activities he was in, as well as, things he liked. I came across something very cool. He was a horror film addict like me. Maybe we had more in common than I wanted to believe.

Just then the door swung open and a familiar scent washed over me. I glanced up and saw the guy in question-I glanced down- Daden stroll in and take a seat next to me. I felt as though I was in hell, his smell was so amazing. I glanced over to see that he too had a file in front of him. Oh great, I thought. I lifted my eyes to meet his. He was starring at me, and not in a nice way.

“Umm, hi.” I said my voice suddenly low.

“Your last name is Vac’nolli?” He seemed almost irritated.

“Yeah. What does that have to do with anything?” I was completely blown away by his bluntness.

“So why are you living here? Shouldn’t you be in hiding or something? Do the students around here know?”

“What are you talking about? I live here because this is where my mom and I moved to start our business. I don’t know what I should be hiding from, and what exactly should the students around here know?” Pure confusion hit me like a tidal wave while I tried to wade through his questions. None of them made sense to me

Daden studied me for a moment. After what seemed like eternity he said, “I’m sorry I must have been mistaken. Forget I said anything. So, are working together now?”

Wow, his subject change was fast which only further added to my suspicions. Shaking my head a couple of times to clear it I answered him. “I guess. I have the duty of showing you around and helping you out if you need it. It seems we also have all the same classes.” I was still trying to make sense of what he had said when the classroom door flung open.

“Oh man,” I grumbled.

In the door way stood the one person I really didn’t want to see: My Mom. She ignored Mr. Heckles attempts to stop her and she rushed over to me.

“What were you thinking?” She screamed. “What if The….umm,” she glanced around. “What if you grandparents found out about you getting into a fight? Do you think they will just let you off with a warning this time?” Tianna seemed more concerned for me than mad at me.

“Don’t worry mom, my…” I had to pause and lift an eyebrow, “grandparents won’t find out I got in a fight. Calm down.” I took this opportunity to look at each of the people in the room. My mom and Mr. Heckle were both starring at me and Daden was writing something down in my file. He glanced up at me and then wrote something else down. Weird I thought.

Tianna finally composed her face and turned to Mr. Heckle. “I apologize for the outburst Mr. Heckle. If I may, I would like to take Jhena home now. I know detention isn’t over yet but I think we need to have a nice long talk.” She smiled her million dollar smile and turned to me. “Get your things. We are leaving.”

I didn’t think twice about arguing. I gathered my stuff together and walked up to Mr. Heckles desk. “Here.” I handed him Daden’s file.

“No, no Jhena I want you to keep this. It is your copy. Do with it what you like.” He smiled a wicked smile, one I couldn’t quite see the meaning of.

“Okay,” I mumbled and headed for the door.

I dared one last look at Daden. He was starring at Tianna now. Big surprise there. A lot of guys like to stare at my mom. I gathered my power and threw him a mental blast. Nothing happened. He didn’t wince in pain or look hurt at all. Noticing that I was looking at him Daden smiled at me.

“See you tomorrow Jhena!”

I ignored him and Tianna’s piercing glare as walked out the door, with mom following close behind.

The sun had unfortunately come out so I searched through my bag to find my shades, being careful not to glance up. Once in place, I set out across the parking lot to my bug. Madissa was already leaning against her door. Surprise surprise, I thought. Keeping my chuckle to myself I headed for my door. Grabbing my keys I started to hit the unlock-
only to stop dead in my tracks. The tiny hairs along my spine stood on end as I turned slowly around. My eyes zeroed in on the far corner of the parking lot.

“Jhena, what is it?” Madissa asked in a quivery voice.

“Listen Madi, I have to go vampire.” I glanced over at the sound of her gasp but before she could protest I continued. “It’s only for a second and I need to see something. Just keep an eye out and don’t argue.”

“Okay,” was her only response, not that I was paying much attention anyway. Taking a deep breath I called to my inner demon. A gasp of pain left my lips as my irises ate up my entire eye, my nails lengthened and sharpened, and my fangs dropped down. I shivered with satisfaction at the eeriness and beauty of it all.

Turning one last time to Madissa, I readjusted my sunglasses and focused back on the corner that had me strung so tight. I almost gasped when I realized what was hiding. It was a guy. Lifted my nose I tried to catch a scent but cursed when I realized he was too far away. Narrowing my eyes I zoomed in on his face. Fear and shock seethed through me. I wasn’t staring at a guy; I was starring at a vampire. A very large, green eyed, very large vampire. A Lorenicki, I thought. Dropping my stance I prepared to attack, except when I did so the enemy dropped his eyes sadly, then raised his finger and pointed once before turning and fleeing away. I was so confused I didn’t notice someone approach.

A large hand landed on my shoulder and I attacked. Without even thinking, and still in my vampire form, I whirled around and knocked my-would be touch-er on the ground. Jumping up I pinned the person to the concrete, my hand squeezing their neck slightly.
A strangled sound came from below me and before I could react, was thrown toward my car.

Landing with a huff I forced myself back to human form. Now I was angry. I glanced up to see who could possibly have the strength to throw me in vamp form. I was going to beat them to a- all the blood rushed from my face.

“Daden?” I coughed uncomfortably and stood up. In a graceful movement he did to. “Um, are you okay?” Oh Devil please tell me he didn’t see anything weird…like me in vampire form perhaps.

He glared at me. “Other than a bruised ego I'm fine. Remind me never to sneak up on you again.” He laughed, that wonderful smile back in place. I found myself smiling too, but quickly recovered. No use getting my hopes up for a relationship I can’t have.
I looked around us trying to avoid his fixated gaze.

“Hey, where’d Madissa go?” I asked lamely.

“Who? Oh the girl who was here. She ran off to talk to that woman over there. Your mother right?” He spoke as he rearranged his sunglasses, and then pointed back to the school. I followed his finger. Tianna I realized. I completely forgot she was following me. Damned Madissa again for saving my princess butt. Daden cleared his throat so I turned back.

“So what were you staring at?” His curiosity was very clear. Its was a bit uncomfortable sharing with a human that I spotted a rival vampire so I dumbed it down.

“Well, I thought I saw an old friend. Someone from my past. But he just took off. Besides he’s dead. I think I’m losing it.” I laughed uncomfortably and looked back at Madissa and Tianna, who were heading our way.

A thought crossed my mind. “Wait didn’t I just leave you in detention? And your new so why were you even in detention?”

“Listen Jhen, I’ll see you later. Hope you don’t get into too much trouble.” He flashed a smile of perfectly white teeth and walked to a black mustang, which he got into and drove off.

Wow ostentatious, I thought. Giggling I unlocked the doors and climbed into my car. Buckling my seat belt I waited for Tianna and Madissa to put the lead out. Naturally Madissa had to open the door and then climb in the back. Something on her face told me I was in trouble.

I glanced up at my mom. I expected her to be angry but the look on her face was pure amusement.

“What” I asked wry.

“So you can’t read that boy huh? And he’s the one who broke up the fight?” Tianna’s smile turned sly as she climbed into the bug and closed the door.

“Madissa!” I whined, slamming my head down on my steering wheel.

“I’m sorry Jhen but she used her power on me and you know I can’t resist when she does that. Secrets are not safe when I comes to her.” She sighed and I lifted my head to meet her gaze in the mirror. I winked at her and started the car. I started to back out only to realize Tianna was still staring at me. Uh-oh, this can’t be good.

“Is something on your mind mom?” The smile grew wider and she reached into her bag, only to hand my a nice warm thermos. Finally! I was parched. Taking the bottle I untwisted the lid and drank in great greedy gulps, all the while backing out of the parking lot.

As the silenced stretched so did my patience. I let out a frustrated sigh when I noticed my mom was still looking at me. I got ready to bite off her head only to be cut off by a shocking question.

“So what are you going to so about it?” Tianna asked.

“What do you mean by ‘what are you going to do about it?” I asked, the venom I was feeling clear as crystal in my voice.

Tianna sighed heavily. “No need to get testy. I wanted to know where you go from here with the boy. You know very well what it means to not be able to use your powers around someone. It is a definite trait for a soul mate.” Seemingly pleased with herself she turned back in her seat and stared forward.

At first I had no response. What was I supposed to say to that? A human for a soul mate? It’s not like it hasn’t been heard of but it also causes problems since our clan are “meat-eaters.” I started thinking about Daden as my mate. I was so drawn to his scent now that I would go crazy if we bonded. No way would it ever happen.

“I know what it means mom but he’s human and you and I both know there is no way to turn a human.” I cursed silently thinking of having to watch my soul mate grow old and die. I’d have to find a new one I decided, turning my attention back to the road. “Since I’m such a wonderful daughter I’ll humor you. Say we are soul mates and we fall in love. Sure we’ll age the same till I hit twenty-five but then I’ll stop. Then before long I’ll look like a gold digger and him a cradle-robbing pervert.

Madissa chocked on her blood nearly spitting it out all over.

“Hey!” I shouted horrified. “Don’t even think about spilling on my seats. Do you know how hard it is to get a blood stain out?”

“I have nooo idea” she sarcastically. I glanced in the rearview mirror just in time to see her roll her eyes. Given my title in the clan I could have had her eliminated for that. Instead I wanted to celebrate. Focusing once again on the winding road from school I smiled long a hard. Madissa was finally growing some backbone.

The car remained silent for a while. It was nice to drive home in quietness and I was having a pretty good day. Well despite a fight, the principals office and the lovely duty of showing around a fragrant new kid it was good. Work would be a breeze and then I could relax. What could go wrong?

“Turn left up here.” Mom’s voice had lost its humor.

“Left? But mom left takes us to-“I sentence stopped dead. Oh no.

“Yes Jhena. Left takes us to The Tomb. The Council has requested a meeting right now and I really don’t feel like getting a lash for disobeying or rescheduling. So we will go, you will listen and then we’ll go to work. It’s not a big deal, just don’t argue and remember your place.”

“I know mom. I still remember how to act even though it’s a wonder how I do. How long have we been hiding, mom, cuz I forget.”

“Jhena!” She seemed hurt and anger as she turned to glare at me. “I don’t know enjoy it anymore that you do. I miss our homeland and wish we were there but it isn’t safe until you ascend. When you do take your place as queen and find your mate we can move back. Right now we just can’t.”

“But we’re losing money. The notice from the bank came yesterday and if we don’t make the studio payment we are going to lose it. Then where will we work?” A tear slid down my cheek coming to rest on my shirt and staining it. Stupid blood tears.

“Everything will work out sweetheart. I got a call from someone interested in being joint partner yesterday. They are coming in the studio later to talk details. So,” she reached over and whipped my face. “Dry those tears and get ready to follow the Code because we’re here.

I looked around as I pulled into the parking spot at the base of The Tomb. To the naked eye it looked like a grassy hill but to the vampire eye an entrance stood out in the side. The Tomb was placed on the east side of the Old Memorial park. The parks main use was for holding funeral services since it bordered the cemetery. So many ghost stories floated around the small town of Jackson Ville that people tended to stay away from this place.

Taking a deep breath, I unlatched my seat belt and climbed out.
© Copyright 2007 Codi-Ree (readinglife at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1209098-A-Midnight-Dance-Chapter-two