*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1209383-Preacher-Man
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Draft · Other · #1209383
character sketch
At first glance Claude F. Miller seems like an ordinary man. He is friendly, funny, and outgoing. When you get to know Claude aka Chip, you learn of his dual roles in life. He is a carpet-layer during the week and a preacher on Sunday. You will either adore or dislike him. It seems all the people I know adore him, but they only know the preacher.
Chip is a carpet installer by trade. His sons work for him, the most reliable would be his eldest son Art, then Dennis, and least reliable is Jimmy. Chip makes plenty of money though his wife is the bread winner. Nancy is a nurse practitioner. During the week Chip is modest enough, but gives the impression that because he is a preacher he is some how entitled to certain favors and inattention to his manic behavior.
As a carpet installer, he wears jeans worn at the knees from kneeling all day kicking carpet. His shirts are tired tees or sweat-shirts depending on the weather. He wears an old ball cap over his greasy blonde hair. He is the picture of a guy.
As a minister Chip shines. He is spit polished clean in his pressed blue or black suit. He usually wears a white long sleeved button down shirt with a power tie. His greasy hair is shampooed and slicked back. His black shoes are free of imperfection . . . and the socks match. He carries an old, dog-eared, falling apart Bible, given to him by his religious mentor. He tops the affair with his impeccably dressed, properly educated wife, Nancy. It is as if Nancy is his trophy for doing God’s will. He and she is the picture, touted by the religious market place, of prosperity.
On Sundays Chip is the good preacher. He is attentive, caring, friendly, and engaging. He services are lively, filled with tongues, prophesy, and people falling to the floor when Chip lays his hands upon them. Chip genuinely cares about his people. He helps those he deems most needy.
When Monday roles around, Chip is human again. He is like the rest of humanity trying to earn a buck. He is also like other people when he gossips. Things that are confided to him by his unsuspecting parishioners are talked about openly among his family members. He will say things like what a good for nothing so and so is. His most vulnerable targets are the associate preachers he brings on board. Chip and Nancy become very intimate with associate preachers and there are no secrets between them and Chip and Nancy. The unsavory bad habits of the associates are scrutinized by the Miller’s and degraded more.
These and other poor judgments are exercised by Pastor Chip. Earlier I mentioned he was my father-in-law. I’ve since removed myself from the family. My experiences with the Pastor are disappointing. Sadly, there will never be any changes because Pastor Chip thinks he can do no wrong, he has God’s anointing.
© Copyright 2007 Ms. Smith (shyviolet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1209383-Preacher-Man