*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1209710-Mundane
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1209710
A short story about a woman wanting more in life... sometimes
Her eyes opened slowly to the low sound of soft tunes murmuring forth from her clock radio. The lightly illuminated numbers read 6:30. Lying there for a moment, enjoying the quiet melody, Millie planned her day. After a shower and breakfast, she would go out for her leisurely morning stroll through the park. Returning home before nine o’clock, she should have time for another cup of tea before her morning program began. She really did enjoy watching daytime television. Regis and Kelly were her favourites. She thought that they were quite funny and often dreamed about what life would be like living in New York, having your own talk show. Millie also found Regis very attractive, wishing that she could have a man in her life as vibrant as him. Enough lollygagging.

Lifting back the warm covers, Millie shifted her feet to the floor. Giving a slight stretch, she stood up and headed for the bathroom. The hardwood floors were cold on her sleep warmed feet, so she moved a little quicker than normal. Not bothering to close the bathroom door, for there was no one else to interrupt her shower, Millie pulled off her flannel nightgown. Folding it tidily, she set it on the top of the empty clothes hamper. She could get two nights use out of her gown and save on doing more laundry if she put it there.

Setting the spray at medium and pulling back the curtain, she climbed in to the shower. Slowly lathering and rinsing, she noticed a few more wrinkles in her hands. Her body had begun its inevitable decline since she had turned thirty-five twelve years ago. Millie often wondered at the small changes, which occurred over time, slightly altering her appearance in ways that only she could see. She had never thought that her life would turn out as it had. Towelling off, she headed back to her bedroom, noticing that Samuel, her tabby cat had also awoken. He was now heading towards her, hoping she might feed him soon. Sliding in to her cotton panties and bra, Millie decided that navy slacks would be good for today. She would finish the ensemble with a grey and navy sweater that her Aunt Mildred, whom she had been named for, had knit her years ago.

After setting the kettle on the stovetop, Millie gently dumped some food in to Samuel s dish. He eagerly began to eat, stopping every few seconds to see what she was doing. After her toast and tea, she headed for the front door. Millie slid on her warm boots and old tan jacket. Her outerwear wasn’t very attractive, but it certainly kept her warm. It was practical and to Millie, that was all that counted. Not everyone liked practical, but to her it showed security and comfort.

The few times that Millie had tried dating, the men seldom called her back for a second night. Their excuses were always that they were too busy, or had no time to date right then. Millie knew different, though. She knew that people thought she was boring. In the end, though she preferred it that way. She never had to cater to anyone else’s needs or sacrifice the little things that she wanted, just for someone else. Sure there were times when she wished she had experienced more in life. A husband and children, maybe. A job that took her travelling around the world. Or maybe her own talk show in New York. Millie’s life was mundane. She knew that. Just once, she would like to do something exciting. Putting on her mitts she reached for the doorknob.

Taking her time on the icy steps, Millie planned her route. It wasn’t difficult since she always went the same way every day. Making her way to the park entrance, she passed a man coming out. He looked older than her and was certainly in a rush. No time for a good morning, either. His eyes met hers and then quickly looked away. Ducking his head, he rushed out on to the street. People these days were so rude sometimes. A little kindness really could go far, no one ever thought of that any more. Millie noticed that he was dressed in a business suit. Perhaps on his way to work, she thought. Maybe he was late.

Walking on, Millie enjoyed the crisp morning air. The snow crunched softly under her boots with every step. Listening hard for the twitter of birds, which usually kept her company on her morning strolls, Millie’s ears were only met with silence. Strange, she thought. The chickadees and Jays usually loved the quiet mornings as much as she did. Making her way around a corner in the path, Millie looked ahead and saw a dark figure on the ground. Perhaps that homeless man she had seen here a few weeks ago. It was off to the side a bit and lying at an odd angle.

Walking closer, she became aware that this wasn’t a homeless person sleeping in the park. The crimson stain around the body went out like a halo, starting at the head and ending below the shoulders. The blood was slowly pouring out of the neck wound at an irregular pace. Millie guessed that the victim’s heart was stopping, for the blood no longer pumped out as she had read in a novel once.

Frantically looking around for any sign of another person, Millie could find no one. Not a single soul, save her and the bleeding body, were in the park. Millie quickly began to walk on. She had to get away from here as quick as possible. What if the assailant came back? She should go and call the police. Or an ambulance. This person needed help. The memory of vacant eyes flashed in to Millie’s mind. It was too late for help, she was certain. The figure in the park was dead.

Millie slowed down a bit, thinking. If she were to call the police, they would need to take a statement from her. She could be at the station for hours, maybe even on the news. While on some level this excited her, it was also a little terrifying. Heading out the other side of the park, Millie decided to walk home around the block. The thought of coming across the body again was more than she could bear.

Walking up her steps, Millie remembered the man leaving the park. She stopped. Was he the murderer? Looking again around her and seeing no one, Millie opened her door and went into her house. Hanging her coat in the hall closet and sliding out of her cozy boots, Millie thought about her morning walk. Placing the kettle on the stove to re-boil, she went to the living room and flicked on her television. Regis and Kelly were on.

Leaning against the kitchen counter, Millie pondered her dilemma. As she walked back to the T.V., she found her answer. Sitting and watching her program, Millie felt her life slide back to normal. Thoughts of the morning walk in the park faded away as she chuckled with Regis at Kelly’s silly antics. Millie knew her life was mundane. Just once, she wished she could do something more exciting. Just not today.
© Copyright 2007 Daisybug (dzbgt2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1209710-Mundane