*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1210215-Loved-and-Lost
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1210215
a short story about a strict father
Loved and lost

Diana was the daughter of the local parish priest.She was brought up strict. Her mother died two years ago when she was just sixteen. From then on she had to do all the cooking and housework for her father. Her father never believed in hiring outside help
On very rare occasions she was allowed to go on a dance but dis was done with much disgust from her father. It was on one of these occasions that she met Mathew. Di was smitten by him. They danced on a few occasions that night then they parted company. Mathew thanked Di for her last dance. They lost track of each other for the rest of the night. It was John who walked her home.He was a local boy who Diane had grown up with they were close friends.
Diane could not get Mathew out of her mind. But it was to be another month before she would be allowed out to another dance. But much to her dismay Mathew was not there. So it was John who was again walking her home that night. On there way home Di asked John if he would do her favour. He said it would be obliged to do so.
She asked John to ask her father if she could go to the dance again next week. He could pretend to be her boyfriend. Her father knew John and his family.
During the week John called to the reverend's house and put the said proposal to him the reverend David had no objection. John said he would collect Diane at seven pm on saturday. that saturday John collected Diane at the said time and the reverend wished them luck as they left.
As the dance was not starting until nine pm John asked Diane to join him for a drink in the local hotel as only for John she would not have been left out to the dance tonight
While John and Diane were drinking their drinks Matthew happened to come into the bar he came straight up to them. They talked for a while where diane left Mathew know that John was not her boyfriend but he was doing her a favour by taking her to the dance tonight and she explained about her very strict father.
As Mathew was leaving he told Diane that he would meet her at the dance later on if that was ok with her
When Diane and John left the hotel to go to the ndance Mathew drove past them in a big blue bmw. Diane was impressed and even mentioned to John that he must have a very big job to have such a flashy car.
At the dance Mathew and Diane danced most of the night and John found a girl of his own to dance with.
Mathew drove Diane home and she asked him questions about his background. He told her that is name was Mathew Baldwin and that he was an executive in his father's company which worked with the construction industry. They made a date for the next week. Diane got dropped of at the end of the street so has her farther would'nt be asking anymore awkward question's.
The week went by in a daze and then saturday arrived again. But the reverend disallowed Diane to go dancing this week. But Diane was not about to let her father spoil her date. She managed to get out the back way of the house.
After months of being left out sometimes and other times sneaking out she decided to tell her father about Mathew. Her father insisted on meeting him. This was arranged for the following sunday.
Mathew arrived for tea that saturday. Diane did not have to worry as the two of them hit it off and the reverend told Mathew that he would be happy to have him date his only daughter.
Mathew then invited Diane to visit his parents. she got all dressed up and got her hair done and then Mathew arrived to pick her up. Diane thought Mathew was joking around when Mathew drove into a mansion until a man servant approached and opened the door for her and called him Mathew.
She asked him why he had not told her that her family was so rich he told her that he want her to love him and not his money.
Diane stayed at home for the next month and decided to have no contact with Mathew but she still pined for him an awful lot thats when she then decided that it was him and not his money she wanted
She contacted him and they met up and they became inserable. Six months later Diane and Mathew got Married and two years later along came Mathew Junior the couple could not be happier
That was all about to change. One morning Diane and Mathew decided to go out on there Horses as they usually did.
Diane galloped of on her horse with Mathew in hot pursuit. Diane's horse jumped the ditch but John's horse Jumped and fell half way through the ditch and landed on top of Mathew and broke his back. Quick as a flash Diane was back at the ranch and called the Ambulance and Mathew was taken to the hospital. Diane cared for Mathew for the next two years he could'nt walk and was now in a wheelchair.
Then Mathew started to get backpain's at first he took no notice of it but then the pain got to much so Diane told him he would have to get it checked out.
He got it checked out and he was sent for tests when the results came back he was told that he had maglignant tumour. He was told it was gone to far that he should have come in earlier. He was told at the most he had eighteen months left at tops.
Mathew decided to go to Europe and do everything they could do so that mathew could fill all the dreams as much as he good in the time they had left.
Then it was time for Mathew to back into hospital for the final time. Mathew junior was now four years of age and Diane tried to explain to him as best as she could why his daddy had to go back into the hospital and that he was preparing to go to the angels in the sky as it was his time to go there now.
Mathew had made some tapes for each coming year of Mathew Juniors life and also for Diane.
Two weeks later Mathew fell into a coma and a week later on a Saturday at nine pm Mathew died
Diane whispered into his ear that ironic it was that they had met at nine o'clock on a saturday and now he had left her at nine o'clock on a saturday.
The following day she took home her husband's belongings where she found the tapes and she listened to them. What she heard nearly broke her heart listening to Mathew pour out all his love for herself and Mathew Junior.
He was buried three days later and Diane decided to stay at the ranch where she could be near all Mathew's belonging's as it made her feel like she was still close to Mathew no matter what. She never married again because her heart belonged to Mathew and she beleived one day they will be together again up in the heavenly sky's

THE END
TITCH
© Copyright 2007 badger 54 (titch12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1210215-Loved-and-Lost