*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1211238-The-Wedding-Dress
by Peny
Rated: E · Essay · Experience · #1211238
Personal story of wedding dress
The Wedding Dress

For weeks, Mom and I searched all of Oklahoma County for my wedding dress. I wanted it to be perfect, with delicate lace and a long train. Finally, after weeks of using every spare moment for searching, we found it – the perfect dress. It was to be made of delicate lace imported from France with a train that fell to the floor and flowed across the room.

My measurements were carefully taken. The dress would be made just for me. Mom and I were thrilled that my dress would be so beautiful.

A few weeks before the wedding, a representative from the store (Kerr’s) called while I was out. When I got home, Mom informed me that the store had called. Our government had a tiff with France and had placed an embargo on goods from France. They were not able to order the delicate lace from which the dress was to be made - from France. I had tried on another dress at the same store. They could make that dress for me. I cried and threw a tantrum. But Mom finally made me understand that I could not have the dress I planned to wear. There was no time to search for another dress and have it custom-made for me. I said I would accept the substitute dress.

The store informed me that I did not need to be re-fitted. They could use the measurements they had already taken to make the dress from American lace.
My dress would still be made of lace, but it would be heavy American lace, not the fine, delicate lace from France.

I cried and cried. But there was nothing to be done. I accepted the substitute dress.

At the wedding, and for years afterward, every time I thought about the dress, I was disappointed that I was not able to wear the dress I had chosen. My family and friends told me how beautiful I was and how beautiful the dress was, but I could not be consoled. I would have been more beautiful in delicate French lace.

Now, after nearly 45 years, I can appreciate that the dress I wore on my wedding day was beautiful and I was beautiful in the dress.
© Copyright 2007 Peny (peny at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1211238-The-Wedding-Dress