*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1211611-IS-THERE-LIFE-OUT-THERE-THE-BEGINNING
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Les
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1211611
The first chapter of a fictional civilization on a small object, Sedna. Based on facts.
IS THERE LIFE OUT THERE? THE BEGINNING
By Lester Solnin

Outer space is vast, dark, and cold place where genius minds run rampant with theories while the imaginative minds expand in attempt to reach infinity.

The outer fringes of our Solar System is usually the first stop to infinity where we find a "minor" planet named Sedna. Two of the best minds in Astrophysics reside on that planet. Please, allow me to introduce you to them. We have Dr. Casi and Dr. Curso in a foul mood after receiving communications from a Mars orbiter, launched billions of years ago, that Earthling Astronomers will NOT provide a "seal of approval" in naming Sedna a "true" planet. Dr.Curso remarks "the Earthling geniuses have not yet discovered the orbiter," as both snickered.

"They don't think we are what?" Dr. Casi asks in a besieged tone.
"They don't think we are a "true" planet. I just received the information from our satellite."
"The next time we see another metallic object, from that planet, floating by, I'm going to shoot it down."
Dr. Curso laughs.
"I'm angry, myself, but remember my friend, we do not want to cause attention to ourselves."

Sedna, that is currently orbiting the Sun far beyond Pluto. It had aroused earthbound Astronomers several years before the declassification of Pluto. It's reddish color caught their eyes, although, not realizing life already existed on Sedna...intelligent life...for a very long time. The final verdict from the top Astronomers, located in Greenwich, England, conclude Sedna will NOT be classified as a planet. The two Astronomers on Sedna, Dr. Curso and Dr. Casi, are ones who are not lost on words.

"Isn't that typical of humans?" Should we send an answer, Dr. Curso?"
"If they knew we existed, our planet will turn into a Theme Park with walking mice and dogs. Our planet has endured every conceivable disaster one can imagine, yet, our civilization has endured for over one billion years. Besides, we are so far out, it will take them million years to realize life exists, here. It still amazes me the orbiter, that we launched some five hundred million years ago, still operates" (this is Sedna time).
"What is more amazing, Dr. Curso, is that as of yet, the orbiter has not been spotted by those Earthlings. Say Dr. Curso. I doubt if that civilization will survive another hundred years on their planet. History will prove my point."

Which brings me to the history of Sedna. It's one of turbulence. According to Sednian history books, it was formed originally as a Moon of Mars, a little over four and a half billion years ago, Earth time. The time stated by Dr. Curso and Dr. Casi, is in real time of the Sednians. This theory was layed down by the great Archaeologist and Pathologist, Dr. Balns, who lived eight thousand years ago, again, in Sednaian time. His theory states "primitive life formed Mars and Sedna." When primitive life came about on the two bodies, Earth was still in it's infancy. Planet Mars and its Moon, Sedna, eventually gave rise to intelligent civilizations in a five hundred million year period, Earth time. Thus the civilizations of "Martians" and "Sednaians" were formed. In all this time, the two civilizations, of very small people, lived in peace and harmony. Traveling restrictions between the two never existed nor were there any static between the populations. Jealousy was just a word used to describe failed personal relationships. Marriage between the two were very common.
However, a happy ending does not occur in this story. For an oncoming freight train, Jupiter, is fast approaching the inner planets. The disruption of the peaceful civilizations on both Sedna and Mars is predicted as cataclysmic. An emergency broadcast is aired on both bodies predicting the atmosphere of Mars will be vanquished into the dark sky and Sedna will more than likely be thrown out of orbit within a hundred years. In the announcement, a space station is promised for all inhabitants on Mars who do not have their own transportation to Sedna. Jupiter is estimated to be seventy-five million miles away at the time of the broadcasting. In the broadcast, it was also noted that a communication orbitor is planned to be launched and will orbit around Mars, to keep tabs of the planet. What happens next is devastation. In twenty-two years, a period that came a lot earlier than predicted, the majority of inhabitants on Mars vanishes with a mighty puff from Jupiter. The unfinished space station becomes fodder for the Sun as Sedna tugged into orbit for oblivion. Those who successfully escaped Mars for Sedna, could only shed tears. This former Moon of Mars is sent on a one million year trip to the outer fringes of the Solar System. The entire civilization living on Sedna retreat inside the Moon. Thus, a brand new life for the Sednaians begin as jealousy reigns, that never existed before, among the masses, as fights for a little space on this little planet, has now become common. It's the former Martians, who have been given legal status as Sednaians, as they could not assimilate to the new underground culture. In Sedna's million year travel to it's new orbit, the majority of ex-Martians, along with their families, many of whom are naturalized Sednaians, decided to venture from the caverns to the outside world, where, in the coldness of space, they would attempt to create a community that would resemble life as before. The social and economic state of those who left for the surface evolved much differently than those remaining underground as noted in the diary of Dr. Balns:

"The citizens of Sedna who opted for the surface evolved into a more intelligent race than those who stayed below. Those on the surface, called the i}"Uppers," needed the brain power to survive in a hostile and cold world. The life span of the "Uppers" doubled from those who stayed below. The "Belowers" life span never altered since the time Sedna was orbiting Mars. Due to the fear of viruses, the "Belowers" would appear on the surface only occasionally. In the year 21983, many "Belowers" came to the surface, in a last ditch effort to integrate with the "Uppers." The result was the eventual viruses to almost destroy the feeble population of rgw "Belowers." The panic that ensued plus the lack of resources down below, saw a substantial decrease in their population. Another difference in traits is the vast difference in size as the "Uppers" normally grow two feet taller than the "Belowers." My conclusion for this is obvious. The "Uppers" can roam freely on the surface, facing the dangers of the cold while the "Belowers" cannot grow more than their space."
"The "Uppers" managed to salvage the land and succeed in the growth of Agriculture."
"The eyes of both races increase enormously throughout our evolution due to the lack of the Sun. This is evidenced in the archaeological finds in many burial sites."

He continued to note the lack of historical records since the parting of the two neighbors. Dr. Balns has stated he has been monitoring a sattelite in orbit around barren Mars.

Currently, the "Belowers" are at a danger level of becoming extinct. Bedtime stories are told and re-told to children of the "Uppers" to keep them in fear of playing near the caves. A famous story, which is untrue, tells of a "Bogeyman" who eat children in the caves. As they get older and wiser, most understand the peril of the "Belowers". There is very little they can do as the "Uppers" pose a "viral" threat to them, if physical contact between the two races occur.

What Dr. Balns fails to note is another reason for the the increase of the life span of the "Uppers". The expanded orbit now takes ten and a half thousand years, Earth time, to orbit the Sun. For example, Dr. Balns, born in the Sedna year of 324682, is the one hundred and twenty-second generation of Sednaians. He lived to be one hundred and twenty-five years of age. In Earth time, that would be one million, three hundred twelve thousand and five hundred years. In Sednaian time, Dr. Curso and Dr. Casi are both one hundred and eighty-five years old. This is not all. Since the Sednaian "Uppers" are living longer, the counsel once ruled the names must start with the same letter for a hundred years, then another letter is used for the same period of time and so on. Those with prestige will be addressed as such. For example, doctors will be addressed as Dr. and the person's name or President and the person's name. This passage was passed in the year of fifty-six hundred and twenty-one. It commenced the following year. This method is found useful to track the population. A generation is equated to the names from "A-Z." Dr. Curso and Dr. Casi were born in the one hundred and twenty-fifth generation.

A word concerning Sedna's calendar, for it's complex. As stated earlier, in Earth years, Sedna orbits the Sun in ten thousand and five-hundred years. It rotates every twenty Earth days. This is much slower rate when it was a Moon of Mars. It's subsequent rotation slows as it drifts three times further from the Sun (apogee) than when it's closest to Pluto (perigee). The length of a day as it nears apogee doubles. On it's approach to and from apogee, it takes six thousand six hundred and forty years. The time frame to and from perigee is three thousand and four-hundred and ten years. This calculation is based on Earth's time. The time it approaches the perigee, the "Uppers" prepare to grow their crops that will last them for a Sedna year. To give you an idea how close to the Sun when Sedna approaches perigee, between Sedna and Pluto is the same distance from the Sun to Pluto. There are two thousand and three-hundred and eighty-five months in a year. I hope all of the earthingly intellects understand, now.

Back to the planet Earth, attention of the Astrophysicists on Sedna receives communication from their satellite orbiting Mars reveals surprises. They see a planet, known as Orpheus, crash into the blue planet. Occurrence of this event coincides with Sedna finally reaching its own orbit. These events mark the first year of the Sednaian calendar. Around four thousand years, after attaining orbit, they are witnesses to a larger than life events brewing on Earth. Excitement occurs for the Sednaians after it was a month's time ago they witnessed countless number of asteroids barraging Earth. It was a spectacular light show to say the least. Now, the orbiter sends back visuals of satellites jetting out from the planet. Authorities on Sedna decide to take a closer look at Earth. Most astronomers are aghast as Earth has weapons of mass destruction. The population on Sedna divides into two camps; older generation, or the "B's," and the younger "C's." It appears the "C's" are much more peaceful group.

In an emergency session of the delegates, Representative Burdle spews the following words in anger.
"If that blue planet has the capability to use the weapons of mass destruction on us, then I say in order to keep peace on our planet, we must destroy the planet."
"Mr. Burdle, Not only do they NOT know we exist, taking preemptive measures is not in our nature. I can assure you that life, or at least, intelligent life on Earth will not last long for they will destry themselves," responds President Ceris.
"How do you know that? How do you know that within ten years they'll have the technology?"
The President laughs. "If you saw what I saw on that planet, you'll be convinced they will blow themselves up first."

The audience laughs. A good natured Burdle takes the cue but warns, "You better be right."

We fast forward 3 months later. The initial shock of the news from their orbiter, that Sedna will not be classified as a "true" planet, has worn off as Dr. Curso and Dr. Casi calm themselves down. However, the "B" generation still feel the urge to destroy Earth as they feel physical confrontation is the only answer.

This is just the beginning of many stories relating to Sedna. One may wonder how does a citizen of Earth, like myself, has knowledge to know the facts and stories of Sedna. My dear friends, I did hack into the orbiter's computer, but please, keep it hushed!
(2020 words) Edited 2/21/2008
© Copyright 2007 Les (lester1952 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1211611-IS-THERE-LIFE-OUT-THERE-THE-BEGINNING