*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1212611-Youre-a-Star
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1212611
Katie wants to get out of her bland life and become something special.
I felt a burst of cold air as I entered the grocery store. I sighed in minor delight, seeing as it was so hot outside in the dry, lifeless land.

Sweat dripped from my sides, staining a light tank top. At another time, I would of been severely embarrassed. I was a very self-conscious person. But at this point, everyone looked just about the same as me, except for the 3 cashiers who had been inside the cool store for some time.

I recognized a friend of mine, Sue, standing in front of a customer, checking off items as the screen beside her added up the prices. She looked clean enough, with a pressed outfit, light makeup and no sweat in sight. At any rate, better then the rest of us.

I imagined my own figure. I was petite and thin. Long, brown hair with blond highlights always hung, lifeless and bored at my sides. There was nothing extraordinary about me. And as far as my personality I was nothing special. Maybe a bit sarcastic and had a odd sense of humor but nothing special.

Bland seemed to describe me. Yet it was not only me, it described my family, my town, this state. Bland, boring. Too boring to be important or special or anything but the person standing in the sidelines, watching the others take the glory while you never even had a chance.

I sighed. I hated my life. There was never any excitement. Nothing. Since I was a small child I had always dreamed of being someone. Someone you would look at on the television and wonder, 'Why can't I be them?'. I wanted to be someone people looked up to. I wanted to be pretty.

But here I was, in a small store, in a small town with unimportant people in it. There was no escape. And here I was buying generic Advil and white bread. Doing just as mother ordered. I knew as much as I hated my life I didn't have the guts to do something spontaneous or exciting. I had been in this rut too long.

But why couldn't I escape? I was 17 years old. Why couldn't I just go? Why couldn't I do something exciting for once? I would be 18 in 2 weeks. Why shouldn't I go where ever I wanted and do anything I wanted?

Excitement bubbled inside me and threatened to spill over the sides. It threatened to make me go outside of my comfort zone, a place, I was almost positive, I had never left. All my childhood dreams seemed to come up again, some I didn't even remember even thinking.

A small, logical thought came up asking me,"Where will you get food?"..."Where will you live?".."Where will you even go?" More questions came up after it, trying to convince me to stay in this crappy town longer.

"Shut up," I mumbled to myself. "I'm not listening..."

Within 15 minutes I was back in my car, with a few nice snacks and a t-shirt that was on sale. I was going to do it..I was leaving finally. I was..."ESCAPING!" I yelled it louder and louder until I came into a fit of laughter at my own antics.

For 5 days all I did was drive. By the start of the 5th day I had no water and no money to buy any with.

Hunger and dehydration were always there but one little thought kept me going,"You'll be a star! Look at you, you'll make it now, you have guts!" I smiled at that thought. I could just imagine ending up somewhere great with great people. And they would see me and they would say, "You must have the most exciting life!" and then they would accept me because I was exciting and fun and spontaneous.

Then I would be great and those girls in those crappy towns in crappy states with boring life's would say, "Why can't I be like her?" and they would put my picture on their wall and hope one day to be half as exciting as I was, but they would never be. They would be stuck in their own rut and would never have the guts like I had to just go. I would be better then all of them and they couldn't change a thing.

My eyes closed just for a second. Suddenly I was crashing into a store. People came running. They loved me, I thought to myself. I must be a superstar already. I struggled to sit straighter but my head throbbed too much to stand and I could feel some hot liquid running down my arm.

A girl my age came up to the car. One of those girls who wanted to be like me.

"Oh my god..oh my god. Can you hear me? Who are you?" the girl asked.

"I don't have time to sign autographs right now. Don't you see I'm Katie? I don't have time for little giirrllss...." I made a slight wave with my hand as my world seemed to go black.

'Look at you, you're a star now. You're great. You made it!'

------------------------------------------------------
If you have any ideas for the title, please leave those in your review. I'm not really happy with it right now.

© Copyright 2007 Anna D. (calli at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1212611-Youre-a-Star