*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1212976-The-Apple-of-my-Eye
by Vibha
Rated: E · Short Story · Personal · #1212976
The item is woven around the most unselfish love I have felt in my life.
I love him but I'm not sure whether he loves me too.

“Of course he loves you,” My sister assures me.

“How do you know? Does he ever say so?”

“No, he never does. But I think I know.”

It all started the very first day I saw him. He was sleeping. His face mesmerized me and I started staring. Then he did something that made me crazy about him. He smiled.

“I'm sure he will forget me if I'm not there for even a couple of days.”

“He will not forget you.”

“Do you think he even knows me?” I ask hopefully.

"I'm sure he does. How can he not know you?" my sister said, smiling.

My fate was sealed on the day I observed him while he was busy in his favorite pastime. He was frowning and staring continuously at the fan above. To date, I have not understood what fascinated him so much but I fell head-over-heels in love with him.

He spends a large part of his day philosophically studying apparently insignificant objects that we do not even notice around us. That is something that adds to his charm.

“Do you think he misses me when I'm not with him?”

“Yes, he does.”

“I'm sure he does not even notice that I'm not around.”

“Don’t be silly. How is that possible?”

I have never set my eyes on anyone who is so unashamed of his material needs. He has absolutely no pretenses, what-so-ever. He wants food when he is hungry; he sleeps when he is sleepy; he smiles for no reason. Even though he is a male, he is not afraid to cry.

The ways of the pretentious, holier-than-thou world have not touched him. His innocence makes you want to protect him always.

I have not loved anyone more than I love him. Yes, I love Nishant, my one month old nephew. The person whose coming into the world has made my sister a proud mother, and me a very proud maasi*. No matter who else comes into my life, he will always be the apple of my eye.

* maasi means Aunt or mother's sister in Hindi 
© Copyright 2007 Vibha (vibha at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1212976-The-Apple-of-my-Eye