*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1213508-playing-pranks
Rated: E · Essay · Comedy · #1213508
things sometimes lead us to places we would never go
Playing Pranks

A few weeks ago, as i was sitting in my pontoon, i was struck with an overreaching sense of boredom.  As everyone knows, there is only so much you can look out side and truly enjoy "Mother Nature" or "Mother Theresa" as she is often referred too.  Sure birds are pretty, and occasionally they sing a song, but most of these songs have an overly repeticious chorus, and the lyrics are barely audible. 
So stricken with a sense of wonderment, i decided to venture out, to sow my wild oats, to follow that internal voice that says "hey pardner, you best be hittin the dusty trail where the dogies roam and the deer and the antelope are asleep when you get there"(I'll just assume your internal voice is a grizzled prospector also.)

So I went.  I walked and I walked, my mind one step ahead of my new kicks. I didn't know where i was headed. My senses were confused all welded together. Answers were asking questions and questions were trying out for a reality show.  I hardly noticed the rickety school bus that almost gave me a new hat size or the kid i pushed in front of it just for fun.

And suddenly...suddenly--a destination.  I had found it.  To most it must have looked like a run down old movie theater.  God, the cracked marquee seducing me, the flickering lights guiding me--this was where i wanted to be.  I inched forward, inched forward, inched forward--i was racing an inchworm to get the best seats.  But that wasn't going to be an issue, it seemed. 

No ticket girl, no usher, to other humans.  Such a strange feeling to be so alone in a place that was created for companionship.  So ominous was this feeling that part of me turned for the door--my bottom half in fact.  But after sitting him down and explaining the consequences of his actions,  i moved ahead.

Then I heard something so strange, so out of place in this long ago landscape that my hair stood on end, right through my sombrero.  It was laughter, the sound of cackling, guffawing, and giggling coming through the doors.  It was the last thing i expected to hear but it was strangely comforting. I reached out my hand slowly, my heart exploding, pushing the doors open.  Then i yelled fire and ran away.
© Copyright 2007 hi-yaah!!! (54321curt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1213508-playing-pranks