*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1213894-Making-History
by Addy
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1213894
A short story about knowing yourself and finding love.
MAKING HISTORY

         "Can you imagine a world without love?" she asked this question every year. Emma looked around at the students in her classroom. She saw all the interested faces and the same thrill she always got coursed through her again. But today there was an extra thrill, whether excitement or dread she wasn't sure. There at the back of the class was Rodney's father, Derek Black, and he didn't look very happy.
         Great, Emma thought, another lecture is sure to follow at the end of class. With a small sigh she turned to her class. "Okay everyone. The reading lesson is on the board. I need a three-page essay on what love means to you and how love affects your world. I'll see you all in two weeks. Have a good Spring Break."
         Emma sat down at her desk. The students gathered their books and jostled out of the room as soon as the bell rang. She glanced up quickly to see if Mr. Black had left as well. She swallowed another sigh as she saw him coming toward her with a strange look on his face.
                "Hello again, Mr. Black. What can I help with today?" Emma asked politely, as she gathered her papers into her briefcase.
         "I have a question for you, Ms. Austin." Derek watched her intently as he came to the side of her desk. Perching lightly on the corner, he waited for her reaction.

         "What question?" she asked cautiously, trying hard to seem unconcerned.

         "What is a history teacher doing teaching about love?"

         "What do you mean?"

         "What does LOVE have to do with history? Love has nothing to do with your class and I don't approve of your methods or lesson."

         Emma closed her satchel then turned to stare intently at Mr. Black. "Don't you believe in love, Mr. Black?"

         "No, I don't. Not really, I think people confuse love with passion or security or plain lust. People ‘fall in love' all the time and the words are meaningless."

         "Then I feel sorry for you. Because love is a wonderful emotion and has, along with other emotions, shaped history as we know it."

         "Really . . . would you like to give some examples?"

         "No, I wouldn't. Now, if you are through criticizing my teaching methods, I have to go." Emma turned to leave but was stopped short by a hand on her arm. Her pulse sped up with a sensual awareness she hadn't felt in a long time.

         "I'm not sure I'm through discussing this with you Ms. Austin. You have an interesting view of this subject that I'd like to explore further." Derek said softly as he gently turned Emma toward him.

         "Unfortunately, I don't have time to tutor you in love or history today. I have an appointment that I'm late for now." With that said she slowly took a step back, effectively breaking contact. She grabbed up her briefcase and hurried out of the classroom.

         Why, she wondered, as she hurried to her car, does that man make her feel so irrational? Yes he's a very attractive man, with his thick brown hair and emerald green eyes.  She got into her car, automatically clicking her seat belt into place. Her mind was in a jumble and her pulse still sped faster than normal for such a simple encounter. As she backed out of her parking space she thought, it's probably his dimples, Lord knew she went crazy over dimples. They simply made her weak in the knees. That's beside the point, she scolded herself, the man picked at whatever she did or said. Going back to the very first time they'd met he had irritated her. First with that impertinent comment, asking if she was even old enough to be out of college. Then he had the nerve to grin at her, dimples and all, and ask if she gave private lessons to parents. The memory of that scene still made her hot all over.

    She had driven this route so many times that she barely paid attention to the colorful little houses with their trim yards and gardens. Today though she noticed the children playing make believe games, grills being cleaned and readied for the weekend. All of a sudden, she felt a pang of envy that she wasn't used to feeling. She had the feeling she was missing something. She turned left onto Wright Street and pulled to a stop in front of her mother's house.

    Taking a deep breath, her thoughts still going round in her head, Emma got out of her car and went up to the door of the little white house. Letting herself in while she called out, "Mom, I'm here!"

         "You're late today." This statement came from the slim figure at the window.

         "Yes, I got held up at work by one of the parents." Emma said as she hung up her jacket.

         "So who was the parent?" her mother asked.

         "It was Derek Black, Rodney's father." Emma said, flushing a little as she thought of him.          

         "You know I always love seeing you Emma but you don't have to come over every night you know." Emma's mother looked at her with affection and a small degree of exasperation. "I'm perfectly able to care for myself. Besides, when was the last time you went out on a date?"

    "Now mom, don't start on that subject again. I'm perfectly fine being single. I'm better able to focus on my career this way."

         "You know I worry about you. I've loved and lost often in my fifty plus years. I can tell you it hurts. But with all the memories I've made, the losing was worth it. You should think about that." Emma's mother reached over and squeezed her hand. "So what did you talk about?" Asked Emma's mom. She had noticed the blush that had crept across her daughter's face at the mention of this man and hoped it was a step in the right direction for her daughter.

         "He wanted to discuss lesson plans. Apparently he doesn't like the way I teach." Emma said as she sat down with a sigh.

         "Is he good looking and single?" Her mother asked, trying to sound uninterested.

         "Yes, but what has that got to do with anything?" Emma asked even though she knew what her mother was thinking.

         "Just trying to figure out why you're tense." Her mother responded casually but with a small smile on her face.

         "I'm not tense, just confused. He's a banker. I'm sure he has better things to do than a critique of my class." Emma rolled her shoulders and then let out a huff at the sound of a car horn in front of the house.
         
         "I've got to be off. I'm playing Bunco with the girls tonight. Come on, I'll walk you back to the car. I want to continue this chat later. Why don't you come over Sunday for a late lunch?"

         "Thanks mom, around four o'clock?" Emma grabbed her jacket and walked back outside with her mother.

         "It's a date. Now go home and rest while I go play." Her mother said, turning briefly to lock the front door.

    Emma thought about what her mother had said as she drove home. Maybe it was time to get out more. With that thought came the memory of emerald green eyes. Emma pulled up to her duplex and slowly got out of her car. Unlocking her front door, she walked into the dim, quiet house. She set her briefcase and keys on the entry way table.

    After locking the front door behind her, she turned to inspect her small home. Usually she loved coming home. She loved the cozy looking couches and the old polished wood. But something was off tonight. For some reason the silence didn't comfort her like it usually did, instead it seemed lonely. She thought, for a moment, that maybe she was missing something in her life. Again came the image of green eyes but she quickly closed that image off and went into the kitchen to start her supper.

         The next morning, Emma woke with the hope of finding that yesterday's feeling of incompleteness had disappeared. She pulled on her comfortable faded jeans, put on her favorite T-shirt and pulled her unruly hair back in a ponytail. She started doing her Saturday morning wash. She gathered all the dirty clothes and sorted them into proper piles. Then she sat down at her writing desk and started to work on her school plans for the next week. But she just couldn't get into the mood. There was something wrong her, she thought, maybe I'm getting sick.

    She looked outside at the beautiful day and decided that since school was out for break she wouldn't worry about her usual routine for once. Maybe I just need to try something new, she thought, to see if that can break me out of this mood I'm stuck in.

                She grabbed her jacket, a book and put some money in her pocket. After locking the front door she stuffed her house key in her pocket and set off for the park. The sun was shining and there was a cool comfortable breeze blowing, Emma felt her mood improve slightly. Emma sat down on the bench by the pond and opened her book. Soon she was relaxed and engrossed in novel. All of a sudden the sun was blocked out and she looked up to see Rodney standing there grinning.

         "Hi Ms Austin!" Rodney said, hopping from one foot to the other.

         "Hello Rodney, how are you? Are you having a nice break so far?" Emma asked.

         "Yeah, it's great. Dad is taking me over to the fair grounds.  Some charity is having a small carnival." Rodney waved his hand behind him, "We were having a little race, and dad got left behind a little."

         Emma looked up to see Derek trotting slowing around the corner. He stopped suddenly when he saw her sitting there, then began walking slowly toward her. Emma watched him and realized that she was dangerously attracted to this man. The teacher in her was yelling for her to run while she still had the chance but the woman in her was practically purring in delight. The way the sun lit his thick brown hair with lights of gold, the snug T-shirt outlined his broad chest and the way those jeans hugged his hard thighs. She sighed, the man was absolutely delicious to look at, too bad she was his son's teacher. It just wouldn't be ethical for them to be involved. Although she wasn't even sure he was interested in her and she knew he didn't care for her teaching skills.

         Derek was watching her as he made his way toward her and his son. Her hair was pulled up and her face void of makeup. She looked fresh, beautiful, and he felt his breath coming way too fast. He wanted to take her hair down and bury his face in it. He wondered, if she had any idea, what a perfect picture she made. Sitting there with the park's pond in the background.

         "Hello Ms. Austin, how are you today?" Derek said politely, hoping that she couldn't see the desire in his eyes.

         "I'm doing fine Mr. Black. I hear you got beat in a race." Emma said with a little laugh.

         Derek grinned, "I suppose I did. Why don't you call me Derek and I'll call you Emma? It's not like we are having a parent teacher conference, so we shouldn't be so formal."

         Emma smiled back at him. "I'd like that very much. You're absolutely right. There is no reason we can't be a little more casual out in public."

         "So Emma, now that's settled, why don't you join us at the carnival? It should be lots of fun." Derek asked hopefully.

         "I don't know if I should, wasn't it going to be a day just for you two? I'd hate to interfere with a father and son outing."

         "Please come, Ms. Austin! It really will be lots of fun and it'll be even more fun if you're there too! Please?" Rodney smiled and begged.

         "Okay I'll come.  It does sound like fun. As long as I get to buy the first round of cotton candy!" Emma said with a laugh. They started off walking to the other side of the park and the closer they got Rodney became more excited. They had no sooner gotten to the front gate when Rodney spotted his best friend and begged to go with him to ride the rides.

         Derek went over to the ticket booth and bought some tickets. "Here you go." Derek said, handing Rodney a stack of ride tickets. "When you get done with those, meet us at the Ferris Wheel. Don't talk to strangers and you two stay together! Okay?"

         "Sure dad, thanks!" Rodney yelled as he ran off with his best friend.

         Derek turned to Emma with a smile, "I'm very glad we ran into you, otherwise it looks like I'd have been wandering around here by myself."

         "What should we do now?" Emma asked hesitantly.

         "I've got tickets to spend, let's go see what's around." Derek grinned and silently thanked his son for running off. He really wanted to explore this strange feeling he got whenever he saw Emma.

         They walked around for a bit, enjoying the sights and sounds. Then they came to the ring toss game, Derek was sure he could win. He laid down several tickets and after several rounds he won a big purple elephant. He turned to Emma with a bow and presented it to her like it was a diamond tiara. He felt foolishly happy when she laughed and accepted it with a curtsey.

         The next stop was the cotton candy stall. Emma bought the big pink glob of sugar, tore off a huge piece and popped it into her mouth. Emma closed her eyes and savored the sticky sweetness as it melted on her tongue. She opened her eyes slowly and gasped lightly when she saw the way Derek was staring at her. The look in his eyes was intoxicating and she felt herself sway toward him. Then he was taking her into his arms and with the gentlest of pressure set his mouth on hers. Emma enjoyed this for a short moment then became aware of how public they were, so she stepped back and ducked her head embarrassed.

         "Emma, I'm sorry. I don't know what to say." Derek stammered, unsure of how to proceed when everything in him wanted to do it again.

         "It's okay Derek. Let's just forget about what just happened and go meet up with Rodney. It's getting late and I think it's time I went home." Emma said softly. She tried to smile but thought surely he would see right through it and know she wanted him to kiss her again. 

         "Fine, let's go."  Derek knew he needed to find his son but really wanted to have it out with this contrary woman. The first time they had met, she had been friendly and fun. He had given her what he thought was a compliment but she had apparently not thought it a very good one. Since then every time they had come into the same room she had either treated him with polite formality or completely avoided him. Now they were back to being friendly and fun. He wasn't sure what he was feeling for her or her for him but he felt he needed to figure it out. They found the Ferris Wheel without any trouble but didn't see Rodney anywhere.

         "Maybe he's on another ride still and hasn't made it here yet." Emma said with perfect logic. "I'm sure he's just fine. He's a very smart kid."

         "Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Why don't we take a ride on the Ferris Wheel while we wait for him? I promise not to rock the car." Derek said and grinned at her. Then he took her hand and led her to the line. Before Emma could protest they were being seated into the chair and the bar came down across her lap, effectively trapping her there beside Derek.

         With a little jump the wheel started to move. Pretty soon they were at the top and the ride stopped. As Emma looked down upon the fair, she felt Derek slip his arm around her shoulders.

She looked at him and he looked at her. She put her hand on his chest and felt his heart flutter. She had known this was going to happen, since she had seen the look in his eyes while eating that cotton candy.

         Derek read the acceptance in her eyes and could hardly contain his need. He knew that he needed to take this slow. He didn't want to frighten her by acting like a randy teenager. So he reached up and slowly let down her hair.
"I've been dying to do this all day. I have to know if it's as soft as it looks, if it really smells like sunshine." Then he thrust his hand into it and gave a sigh of  pleasure. He brought a handful to his face and took a deep breath. He looked down at her and watched her eyes flutter closed. Slowly he moved his hand to her face and then kissed her.

         As the Ferris Wheel started on its way back down, Derek ended the kiss and moved back to look at Emma's face. Just then he heard his son shouting from the crowd.

         "Dad! Ms. Austin!" Rodney shouted and waved from below.

         "Looks like my son found us." Derek waved back. "I'd like to take you to dinner tomorrow. Will you go?"

         Emma shook her head. "I don't think that's a good idea Derek."

         "Why not? You can't tell me you didn't feel anything when we kissed."

         "No, I can't. But I'm your son's teacher. I'm not sure it would be ethical for us to get too involved. Besides, I want a man who'll love me. And you don't believe in love, remember?"

         At that moment the wheel stopped. It was time to get off of the ride and get back to real life. The thought of it made Emma want to cry. She got out of her seat and quickly walked over to Rodney. Forcing a smile, she looked down at one of her favorite students. "Thanks for inviting me along Rodney. But I've got to go home now. I'll see you when school starts again. Have a good spring break." Emma turned to look at Derek pushing through the crowd toward her.

         He stopped short at the look of longing and sadness there in her eyes. He started moving again, quicker now. Feeling that if he didn't get to her and hold her, he might lose something precious. But the crowd worked against him; Emma was hurrying away and then she was lost among all the people.

         "What happened dad? Why did Ms. Austin look like she might cry?"

         "I'll tell you when you're older." Said Derek, as he put his arm around his son and started the walk back to their truck.

         "But you were having fun together and I saw you kiss. Why did you let her go?" said Rodney, trying hard to understand grown ups.

         "I don't know. It's just something you have to do when you get to be an adult. You have to learn you can't have whatever you want." Derek answered sadly.

         "I thought you liked her!"

         "I do. But it's not always that simple."
         "I think grown ups like to make things harder. If you like her and she likes you and me then we should all be together. You just need ask her." Said Rodney.
         "Maybe I will. Come on, let's go home."

         The next morning Emma got around early, thinking to go to her mother's house before their lunch date, hoping to get some advice. But, her mother wasn't home, so she drove down to the mall to window shop for a while. As she walked around, she started to notice that most of the people in the mall were families. In fact, it seemed that everyone in the whole mall was with someone, except her. Feeling really sad she left the mall and drove back to her mother's house.

         Letting herself inside with her key, she hollered, "Mom? Where are you?"

         "I'm in the kitchen, come on in." Her mom peeked into the living room from the kitchen. "What's wrong? You look horrible!"

         "Thanks mom. I'm fine, just feeling kind of blue today." Emma said, forcing a smile.

         "I've just put the roast in the oven. Let's have a glass of tea and talk while it cooks."

         "That sounds good." Emma sat down on the couch and waited for her mother. Her mother walked in and sat on the couch next to Emma, and handed her a glass of tea.

         "So, what did you do yesterday? Did you go out and party? You look like you didn't get much sleep." Her mother looked at her with concern.

         "No, I didn't party. I actually went to a carnival last night." Emma said, smiling slightly as she remembered.

         "Who did you go with? I thought you were going to stay in and work on your class assignments? Although, I am glad you got out of the house for a change."

         Emma sat and told her mother about the whole day. She talked about Derek and the Ferris Wheel and how the night ended with her going home alone and crying half the night.

         "Well, it's no wonder you look horrible then!" Her mother exclaimed.

         "I just don't know what to do. I don't think it would be ethical for me and Derek to be together." Emma said desperately.

         "Oh bull!" her mother said and loudly set her glass on the table.

         "What! I don't want to lose my teaching position.  I've worked too hard to get where I am today."

         "I think that's an excuse. I think you are afraid that if you let another man in he'll take advantage of you like Mike did."

         "Maybe part of that's true. But just the other day, in my classroom, Derek told me that he doesn't believe in love!"

         Emma's mother leaned over and looked her daughter in the face. "You came here looking for advice so I'll give you some. If you love this man then you have to take a chance. Go for it! Life is too short to waste any time you can be with him. Besides, people can be taught how to love. You're a teacher, if anyone can teach him, you can. Now, let's go eat. I'm starved."

         As they sat down and ate dinner, Emma looked at her mom, knowing she was right, and for some reason she suddenly felt better.  After dinner they sat down together and read the Sunday paper. Her mother loved the Sunday paper, mostly for the want ad's and garage sale notices. Her mother read some of the want ad's out loud and they laughed over some of the crazy things people wanted. As she was leaving to go home, Emma realized that she no longer felt sad.

         She turned to her mother, "Thanks for cheering me up mom. I love you."

         "I love you too. Think about what I've said and I know you'll make the right decision. Just listen to your heart as well as your head and you'll do fine."

      The next week flew by as Emma thought about her mothers advice and worked on lesson plans for the next school week.  Derek had tried to call several times but Emma was screening her calls. She made her decision but wasn't sure how to let Derek know. She had also gathered up her school handbook.  There was no mention of any penalty when parents and teacher's got involved.
      By Wednesday she'd made up her mind, the next time the phone rang she was going to answer it. But the phone didn't ring at all that day. Or the next day either, and by Sunday she was feeling very anxious. What if I lost him? She thought, what if I lost my chance? Then that afternoon the phone finally rang.
         Emma crossed her fingers, and took a deep breath. "Hello?"

         "Emma, it's mom. What are you doing right now?"

         "Nothing much, why?" Emma said, slowly letting her breath out.

         "I need you to come over, I have something you need to look at here. Come as soon as you can." Her mother said urgently. Hanging up the phone, she looked down at the Sunday paper and smiled.

         Less than ten minutes later, Emma was sitting on her mother's couch with a frown. "You called me up, sounding all urgent. I thought you were having an emergency! And all you wanted was for me to read you the Sunday want ad's? This is crazy!"

         "I think you'll find one especially interesting. I marked it for you."

         "I don't understand why you think I'll enjoy this. I was perfectly comfortable at my place. You couldn't have just read it to me over the phone?"

         "I thought this you should read with your own eyes. Let me know later if I was wrong."

         Emma opened the paper with a small huff.  Then rolled her eyes when she saw an ad marked with a big red heart. As Emma read the ad out loud, her mother got up and left the room.

"Wanted: Beautiful, kind, talented teacher wanted for father and son. Position is to tutor both in the subjects of history and love. Only applicants with the initials EA. are being accepted. We desperately need you. If you feel the same way please call me at 555-0018. Derek." Emma looked up while tears slid down her face. There was her mother, with tears in eyes and a smile on her lips, holding out the phone.

                                  Six months later
         Emma slowly tore the lovely silver wrapping paper off the last present, the present from her mother. There in a simple cherry wood frame was a newspaper clipping circled in red ink with a big heart. Emma laughed, then gave her mother a big hug. "This is the best present you could have given me. Thanks for everything mom."
         "You're welcome. Just be happy Emma, that's all the thanks I need." Her mother said, smiling through happy tears. 

         Emma looked up at her new husband and took his hand. He smiled at the last present, then smiled at her, and with love in his eyes he said, "I will forever be glad that you answered my ad that day. I've got the best teacher in the world, and the only one who could've gotten through to me. I finally believe in true love."

         Emma shook her head, grinning mischievously. "Don't get too cocky Mr. Black. You've still got a lot to learn. In fact, I read about something new that I think I'll teach you tonight."

         Derek kissed her long and hard, then pulled her to the dance floor. Leaning over, he whispered in her ear, "Is that so Mrs. Black? You know I'm always most eager to learn, but maybe this time we can both be the teachers, since I have a few ideas myself." Emma laughed, full of joy, as they danced toward their future.





© Copyright 2007 Addy (queenb1975 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1213894-Making-History