*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1215408-McConnell-Leaves-Widespread-Panic
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Hurley
Rated: E · Other · Music · #1215408
News piece regarding the departure of Widespread Panic guitarist, George McConnell
McConnell Leaves Widespread Panic
By Tim Hurley

Just days after announcing the band's fall tour, guitarist George McConnell has left Widespread Panic.  He performed his last show with the band in St. Louis on Saturday and officially parted ways.

McConnell was asked to join the band after founding member and guitarist Mike Houser died of pancriatic cancer in 2002.  Since then, he struggled to find his place in the band but managed to win over many fans with his rugged yet sharp sound.

Rumors started to swirl of McConnell's seperation from the band when long time collaborator John Keane and guitar technician Sam Holt were becoming regulars on stage for their summer tour.  Although specifics reasons for his departure are yet unknown, many in the Panic community were well aware of the growing distance between the band and McConnell.

Currently the band plans to continue touring through the end of the year along with Keane and Holt on guitars.  The rumor mill has also sprouted word that Jimmy Herring (Aquarium Rescue Unit, The Dead) may join the band sometime this year in McConnell's place.


Published August 2006 by Jammed Online Music Magazine (www.jammedonline.com)

© Copyright 2007 Hurley (tjhurls at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1215408-McConnell-Leaves-Widespread-Panic