*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216048-Immersed
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1216048
Inspired by Edward Hopper's Nighthawks. R&R welcome.
Wiping the sleep from his old, blue eyes, Tom made coffee for a man who he would often categorize as a “late night loner.”  Just wanting the restaurant to empty so he could go home, Tom was disheartened when a couple walked in.

The two paid no attention to their surroundings as they walked whispering to the counter.  The loner’s shoulders became tense as the two sat down. 

The couple was absorbed in their own world, so Tom waited for a lull in their conversation to take their order.  As he waited, Tom couldn’t help but overhear tid bits of the couple's conversation.

“It’s alright, Julie.  Everything is going to work out.” The man said still whispering.

The girl squeaked.  “But Johnny, he was real mad.”

“He’s not going to find us.  You told him you were leaving and that’s that.  You’re with me now.” He put his hand on hers.  The girl looked unsure.  “You don’t love him anymore, right?”  The man said trying to reassure the girl and himself at the same time.  She still looked uncertain.  “You love me, right?” the man said shaking her hand and then stated firmly.  “You don’t love him.”

“He was my husband, Johnny.”  The girl began to cry.  “He was my husband.”

The loner stood up and cried, “He still is your husband!"  This was the first time the couple had noticed anyone else around them.

“Carl!” the girl shrieked.

BANG!
© Copyright 2007 Some Kid (vakiener at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216048-Immersed