*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216424-Dinner-under-the-stars
Rated: 13+ · Other · Contest · #1216424
A planned night of elegance for a young couple has an unexpected ending.
Small intimate tables were scattered over the dining room. Regal-colored, silk table cloths designated the different server’s tables.  Each table was set with a contrasting satin placemat, ivory napkin with a gold band, and intricately etched lead crystal stemware.  The floors were made of dark mahogany and gently reflected the overhead starry nights which could be viewed through the glass roof. To eat there you made reservations more than a month in advance. After a year of trying, Daniel was finally able to save a spot for him and his one true love.

With excitement, he had told Sarah about the date. She was awestruck that he was taking her there. Then she worried that it was just a cruel joke as she heard the day of their reservation, the first of April.  She spent the month searching to find an exquisite dress at a frugal price. She was sure that this one date was going to be one that she would remember more fondly than her courthouse wedding three years prior.

She looked at the white dress she donned for one last check before heading to the restaurant. The haltered neckline and a line skirt gave her the appearance of an hour glass figure. The beaded bodice accentuated the smile her face held. Finally, satisfied that she could come no closer to perfection, she left for the restaurant.

She arrived at the restaurant and provided the name for the reservation.

“I’m Mrs. Daniel Higdon. Our reservation is for 7 pm.” She said timidly.

The hostess searched the list.  Sarah saw her eyes scan up and down the list  twice, acting as if she couldn’t find the reservation. Sarah piped up, not wanting Daniel to have his date ruined by the stuck up hostess, pointing to her husband’s name, under the portion of the list marked “seven o’clock ‘B’”. Sarah was sure the B meant bump off to allow richer, more prominent individuals take their place.

“Oh yes,” The hostess said sounding relieved. “Right this way. Do you expect your dining partner shortly?”

“Dan is rarely late,” Sarah replied as they stopped at the table in the center of the dining room. Dressed in their favorite colors, purple and green, Sarah was left in awe. A few moments later the waiter stopped with her favorite bottle of wine, saying that there had been instructions to “keep her happy” until his arrival. This was followed by a box containing eleven white roses and one red.

She glanced at her watch while she thought, “Gosh, Dan seems to be taking his time tonight. It’s already quarter after I better call him.”

Sarah took out her cell phone and attempted to call him but voicemail answered. Unsettled, She hung up and called right back. “One ring, come on Daniel,” She thought. “Two rings, not funny, honey. Three-“

“Hello,” a gruff deep voice said halfway through the third ring. There was a lot of commotion in the background.

“I’m trying to reach my husband. You just answered his cell phone.”

“Ma’am you are going to have to meet us at Eastside General. I just answered the phone in the pocket of the victim we picked up at Second and Main.”

“Is he…. Is he….Is he going to be ok?” Sarah said trying to hold back sobs.

“I can’t say ma’am, but we are working on getting him to the hospital as quickly as we can.”

“Thank you,” She said as she hung up. Unable to hold back the tears any more, Sarah started sobbing uncontrollably.  Her tears flowed like a river of hot lava down her face. Many of the patrons came to find out if she could be offered any consoling, but she shooed them away.

It took some time before she was able to regain her composure. When she finally did she realized that she did not know the condition of her husband.  As she started to get up, the waiter offered the bill to her. The cost to cry herself out, drink wine, and have flowers delivered totaled close to two hundred dollars. She broke into tears again. She had only had a twenty in her pocket book, all of the credit cards were carried in her husband’s wallet because she found reasons to shop if she carried them. She never expected to be stranded at this location without Dan’s company.

Feeling defeated, she dropped to her knees next to her table facing her chair.  In that position she cried, loudly. It seemed just a short time until the police arrived to escort her away with a theft charge. They forced her to her feet. As she stumbled to the car, she acknowledged this night was more memorable than her wedding day, but not in the way she had hoped. Now, she wished the date had never been planned.
© Copyright 2007 MamaMarys3 (mamamarys3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216424-Dinner-under-the-stars