*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216643-Shane
by Calist
Rated: E · Other · Detective · #1216643
An intriging piece I wrote in High School. The assignment was on the value of observation.
Shane

         I knew nothing aabout the inhabitant of the room, save her name and gender. I did not even know her age. It is my natural inclination to want to know things about the people I meet, that is why I had come during a time when I felt she would not be home. I had chosen mid-afternoon, the time when a student would be in school or when an adult would be out to lunch. I wanted time to absorb vital information about her personality, her likes and her dislikes, her passions and her fears, her routine and her style.

         I had been informed that her bedroom as located at the far rear of the house and to the far left. When I entered the room the first thing my senses attutuned too was the shift in the sounds that my steps produced across the floor. Suggesting that the flooring of this part of the house was different. Even more so, I noticed that the walls of this room were unnaturally white. They did not carry the grime and stain that the other walls carried. the obvious fact that many people lived in this house led me to believe that this was a very new addition onto the house and that preciously they had lived elsewhere. It would have been impossible for a large family to survive with the amount of space they had. They probably had moved recently into the house and had built the addition as soon as was possible.

         Her addiction to horses was exceedingly obvious as I took stock of my surrounding. Numerous horse ribbons, horse calendars and horse posters covered the walls. She had horse theme bedspreads and a great quantity of horse statues and figurines on various shelves around the room. On her dresser and night table there were several different pictures taken of a black horse with a young blond haired girl. The subtle fact that the horse was well taken care of and in splendid condition registered in my brain as I decided that this blond haired girl was very compassionate and loving. She took very good care of the animal in her charge. In that instant I also decided that this was most likely the being I would soon meet face to face.

         In the other picture frames there were a rather unusual amount of pictures that were clearly taken at a school. Who the friend sin the pcitures were, I don not know, but I decided that this was mostly likely the place where the young woman had moved from. There were no pictures taken with any snow around which lead me to believe that they were most likely taken ina warmer climate.

         She was young and probably still in school. This would make my task slightly easier but none the less arduous. Her youth would definetly be an asset to my cause. her interest in horses would serve as a basis for conversation and supply me with a way in which to relate to the girl. That she was an honorable girl I discerned from the fact that while there were a great number of ribbons around the room she had labeled only a few with the place and year in which she had obtained them. This suggested that the rest of the ribbons were simply decorations rather than acquisitions.

         The ribbons that I determined were actual prizes had no blue's among them which lead me to believe that she had not been riding for very long or simply did not have the impulsion to compete against others. I decided on the former since there were ina few select places basketball posters. One showed the Varsity Basketball schedule for what I guessed was the local high school. there was also a calendar showing dates for basketball games. I noticed that the dates from the calendar were different from the dates on the poster which lead me to believe that while this girl played basketball she was not a varsity player, which was all the better. I definitely did not need the girl to have any more attachments than could be avioded. The room was neat in layout but it was not clean. There were layers of dust here and there but they were in places where one would expect to find dust. She was not an obsessive child. She seemed to know how to budget her time. School work was obviously a priority, judging from the awards for attendance and other scholarly achievements, that were placed proudly on her desk. She did not dabble in frivolous pursuits.

         I decided that perhaps I had found the girl I had been looking for. One who could take up the reins of power with honor, personality and strength. This girl seemed to have all of those and more. would she be what her room suggested neat and clean? I now knew what I needed to know in order to persuade this girl to my cause. I sat down in a nearby chair and began to wait.

~Calist
© Copyright 2007 Calist (calist at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216643-Shane