*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216735-A-Place-Where-Heaven-and-Earth-Meet
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Nature · #1216735
This is a 1,000 word non-fiction article I wrote for a writing course assignment.
Standing outside the dining hall, a majestic scene unfolded. The day is sunny without a cloud in sight. A breeze cools my face as I gaze at the splendor of God’s creation. I see a panoramic view of fields, hills and mountains covering five states, the dark pine covered hills contrasting with the fields checker boarded across the landscape. Calm settles over me. I am at peace.

Where am I? At Good Tidings Bible Camp located in the Catskill Mountains of upstate New York, a retreat and conference center serving the Christian community for forty-eight years. It is a 501c(3) non-profit, non-denominational organization governed by a Board of Directors and run by an Executive Director.

The ground I’m standing on is part of two-hundred acres of woodlands, meadows, hiking trails, outdoor camping spots, two ponds and an unbelievable scenic view. A statement from a Board member comes to mind. “What we primarily offer is the opportunity to get away from the stress and pressures of daily life and spend time with God in a meaningful way. I can’t explain it, but when you drive on the property, you just sense that God is here in a special way.”

The camp’s mission statement backs up that claim. “Good Tidings exists to provide a safe, beautiful camping/retreat environment where God is honored and attendees/campers have the opportunity to learn of Him and develop an abiding relationship with Christ.”

Bob and Debbie Borman (affectionately known as Mr. and Mrs. B.) direct the camp. They’ve been leaders in Christian camping since 1987. “From Chicago to New York City, they have led hundreds of urban and rural campers in powerful and life changing summer camping experiences,” reads the biography on their website. They continue that tradition in their tenure here by improving the grounds, upgrading the food service, deepening the spiritual atmosphere and adding services and programs that enhance the camping experience.

The ministry has a two-fold emphasis: a high-energy, summer camp program consisting of three weeks of Teen Camp and three weeks of Junior Camp followed by a conference/retreat ministry the rest of the year.

Efforts the last four years have centered on developing the summer camp ministry. Through commitment, prayer, new programs and marketing, Good Tidings has enjoyed an increasing attendance the past three years at a time when camp enrollment is declining around the United States.

In perusing their summer camp brochure, it is easy to see why children and teens enjoy coming here. Following is a sample of what is offered: archery, arts and crafts, admission to a nearby water park, outdoor camping, Christian workshops, character building Bible lessons, paintball, bonfires, All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) and horse rides at neighboring Tanglewood Ranch!

On arrival, campers register and meet their counselors and dorm mates. Each dorm group has ten campers overseen by a senior and junior counselor. They eat, attend chapel and enjoy the activities together, often developing lasting friendships.
The week’s highlight is Friday night. After a countryside hay ride, the campers and staff enter the chapel for awards and recognition. Individual awards are given for levels attained in archery, ATV riding, riflery and swimming. (Each activity has been taught by state certified instructors using guidelines set by nationally recognized organizations in each field.)

Then, the counselors give recognition and encouragement to each of their campers in the form of a personalized certificate highlighting a positive attribute in their life.

A trek to the high-meadow is next where a bonfire is kindled. We sit reverently, as the crackling fire and chirping crickets quiet our hearts. A counselor begins a song of praise to God and we all join. As the flames leap in the air accompanied by our singing, we sense the presence of God.

After singing, opportunity is given for anyone to share what the week meant to them.

“I met some brand new friends that I’m thankful for,” said one camper.

“My counselor helped me meet God this week and now I’m one of his children,” said another.

“I enjoyed the food and the water park rides.”

A counselor chimes in expressing appreciation for the girls in her cabin group. And on it goes for twenty minutes. After the testimonies wind down, Mr. B. speaks, sharing once more how they can personally know God and challenges them to serve Him faithfully.

Once the summer camping season is over, the conference and retreat season begins. Good Tidings hosts three annual conferences; a Women’s Conference the first weekend in May, a Hunter’s Conference the opening of hunting season and a Teen Winter Conference between Christmas and New Years. In each conference, a guest speaker teaches the word of God in a practical, caring manner. Other weekends, church groups and organizations schedule weekend retreats, providing their own speaker.

Many of the summer activities are available during conferences and retreats, but winter brings more. Good Tidings is minutes away from Windham Mountain, a well known ski resort. Ice skating, hockey and snowball fights are also popular. But, by far, the favorite outdoor winter activity is tubing. Good Tidings has an unbelievable sledding/tubing hill that beats any other in the area.

Whether it’s summer camping or conferences/retreats, Good Tidings offers the perfect blend of fun, food, spiritual rest, fellowship and more in a safe, clean atmosphere.

To learn more go to www.GoodTidingsFellowship.com. Or better yet, give Mr. B. a call to set a time for him to give you a personal tour and sampling of the great food served here. This article only gives a taste of what Good Tidings has to offer. After seeing it for yourself, I think you’ll agree; Good Tidings is the place where Heaven and Earth meet.
© Copyright 2007 PuppetTim (rubytim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216735-A-Place-Where-Heaven-and-Earth-Meet