*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1217302-The-Story-of-MaximusPart-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Other · Other · #1217302
This is a work in progress, please keep checking back.
"Emperor Augustus is only trying to defend his land, Octavia! For God's sake, drop the cleaver!" I protested. My wife, the most beautiful woman in all the land, was ready to butcher me, yet I again found myself defending my Emperor. "You defend him as he lies through his teeth, Maximus! He lies and kills like Hades, yet you still sing his praises like a child in awe!" she yelled, thin arms in the air, cleaver glinting in the evening light. I attempted to retrieve the weapon, but she would have none of it. "Octavia," I backed away from her as she advanced, "be reasonable. You cannot kill me for being loyal to my country!" I said, trying to calm her violent temper. "Don't preach to me about loyalty, Maximus! Every day I bathe and clothe your child and feed your tired soul. Everyday another village is pillaged and slaughtered under Augustus' bloody command, and everyday another neighbor wife is in mourning for a husband she shall never set eyes on again. Yet you expect me to sit and patiently, if not happily, await the tepid knock of foreboding death on our door? No, Maximus. I shall wait no longer." Setting the cleaver down, she walked to our son's room, and I could hear her singing to him softly.
She might've been right. Perhaps it would've been better for me not to fight her; she was, after all, my wife. Had the soldier not arrived, I may have even conceded and given her the wish she most wanted; solitude and a peaceful family.
But, at that moment, everything changed.
A knock on the door aroused my attention and I turned, opening it cautiously. A tall, heavily armored soldier met my eyes. "Maximus Arilius?" he asked in a deep voice. Recognizing his armor as a soldier of the Eastern Army, I breathed a silent sigh of relief. "Yes. What may I do for you?" I asked rigidly. "Forgive the interruption, but Emperor Augustus has informed us that General Falco was killed while off-duty in a tragic accident. His wish is for you to take his place as general of the great Eastern Army." the soldier said gravely. I stared at him, awaiting the punchline.When none came, I raised an eyebrow. "You are serious, aren't you soldier?" I queried softly. The man nodded. "Emperor Augustus is eagerly awaiting your answer, Maximus." pausing, he reached out to grasp my hand, palm up, as a symbol of trust. "As do the rest of the men, Maximus. We all have a deep respect for your leadership." he added. I nodded slowly. "May I have a moment to consult with my wife?" I asked, eyes darting to the people gathering to watch. The soldier nodded, a bit of urgency written on his chiseled features. "Yes. Please keep brevity in mind, Maximus. The Emperor wishes to know by sundown. The sun gets heavy and my head may be the price to pay for late news." he said, then walked to his horse after a brief bow. I closed the door slowly, meeting Octavia's questioning gaze. "Maximus...what is happening." she asked, holding our 2 year old son, Tiberius, in her arms. "Octavia, the Emperor wishes for me to be the General of the Eastern Army." I said simply. Her face grew dark as I continued to speak, unsure of myself suddenly."This is the highest rank a man can hope to achieve in a military post without being royalty, my love. I know your fears, but I shall prove to you that they are unfounded. I want beyond want to be the General of the Eastern Army. Please...as my wife, my friend...please support me." Octavia's eyes clouded with tears and she dropped her gaze to meet Tiberius' instead of mine. "Your strength is as fierce as your will. You are my husband, and as such I will support you." I smiled into her deep brown eyes and brushed the back of my hand against her cheek, then Tiberius'. "I will not let either of you down, you'll see. I will protect my family and my country, so long as possible in my heart, and by my sword. Fear not." Octavia smiled and pushed me towards the door. "Go...share your decision before the sun sets on that poor soldier's soul!" she exclaimed. Walking to the door, my eyes caught the glint of my sword. Ivory and onyx woven together formed the elegant handle, the blade fashioned from a newly smithed metal laid over pure obsidian. The sword was heavy, but as I lifted it, it felt surprisingly light. Flinging the door open, I strode into the fading sunlight, sword raised high in an ages old symbol of victory. "Tell your Emperor that General Maximus Arilius accepts his new title, and a new era has begun!" Cheers met my upheld sword and the soldier grinned, raising his sword from atop an appaloosa, whose dappled hide glinted in the sunset. "Thank you General!" he responded. "My Emperor expects you at first light of the new month!" I nodded, lowering my sword. Octavia and Tiberius watched from the doorway, Tiberius' green eyes wide. Commodus, the finest blacksmith in our small town, came forward eagerly. "Maximus...general...would you allow me the honor of fashioning new armor to protect you in battle?" has asked humbly. I nodded. "Yes, Commodus. My armor is threadbare. But, can you have it ready by fourth month's light?" I asked firmly. Commodus nodded. "Of course. Stop by first light tomorrow and I shall fit you in an indestructible suit as fine as the sword you wield." I nodded as the village guard, Osius, cleared his throat. "Maximus? A word." he asked politely. I smiled and excused myself from the glowing eyes of the village people, walking beside the gargantuan Osius slowly. "How will this village survive, Maximus? You are the finest hunter I have ever known." he said quietly. I smiled. "Thank you Osius. But why have you really called me out here?" I asked. He sighed, stopping by a flowing creek. "I fear for you, Maximus. I have heard whispers that General Falco's death was no accident." he spoke in hushed tones, as if fearful of intrusions. I almost laughed. "Osius, I too have heard the rumors. Are you suggesting that Emperor Augustus..." Osius interrupted me quickly. "No, Maximus. Not Emperor Augustus; he is naive. Have you ever heard of Hugo of Hero?" he queried. I shrugged. "In passing, why do you ask?" I responded, kneeling to pick a piece of errant lavender. Osius looked out to the sunset calmly. "Well, he was envious of Falco's position as general of the Eastern Army. He was given the lowly post of scouting leader instead. Obviously, he was displeased." I turned my back. "No, Osius. I will not be subjected to this gossip. General Falco was killed while..." Osius grabbed my shoulder roughly and whipped me around. "Plowing." he interjected angrily. I glared into his insolent eyes. "Yes. Plowing." I said firmly. Osius rolled his eyes, looking frustrated. "Of course, Maximus. Silly me; every man who has died while plowing has been found with arrows through their vital organs. A good shot by the oxen, wouldn't you agree?" he asked roughly. I shook my head. "No. He died of dehydration." I said, feeling sheepish. Osius snorted. "Open your eyes, Maximus. The danger in your life may be very real. Being blind will not help the people, we already have enough leaders that cannot see past their own foolishness. You do not know all that transpires, not if your sight is limited to Emperor Augustus. See the broader picture, my friend, or be condemned to a fate similar to our late general." This said, Osius made a quick bow and walked towards the village, leaving me alone with my thoughts.
The next morning, I met Commodus at his shop, hoping that the armor fitting wouldn't take too long. As I approached, his "cat", which was actually a full grown leopard, approached me, ears perked, silky pelt glistening in the mid-morning sun. "Good morning, Helios. Pleasure to see you, as always." I said quietly, stroking the spotted head. Commodus' wife, Adelaida, a Spanish beauty with long, flowing dark curls, greeted me from the doorway. "Welcome, General. Commodus has just taken Iairos for a ride near the springs. They should be back momentarily." I nodded, patting Helios once more before he returned to his breakfast of raw meat and cream. "You feed this cat as if he were a god." I commented. The Oedipus family (this was Commodus' last name, as shared by Adelaida and Iairos) was notoriously wealthy; there were suspicions that this wealth was not wholly due to the talents of Commodus as a blacksmith, but also to his teenage son, Iairos, as an assassin. These things were never spoken of, however, and rumors, though interesting to entertain for a short period of time, never lasted long in the tightly knit village. Adelaida smiled. "Helios is a part of our family; besides, it is wise to keep him placated, as he is a dangerous animal and we have many sheep to worry about." making a gesture towards the pastures, where at least 200 sheep grazed lazily, I nodded. "I suppose that is wise." Hearing hoof beats, I turned my attention towards the woods, where two bright, fire-red and shining golden horses were becoming visible, along with the riders on their backs. Astride the red horse, a new breed of warhorse that could stand nearly nine feet high, sat Commodus, while Iairos sat astride the smaller, more agile golden Percheron. Commodus signaled to Iairos and the horses slowed to a trot and eventually, a full stop directly in front of me. I patted the head of the red horse, whose nostrils flared from the run. "Fine animals, both of them. What are their names and breeds?" I asked, turning my attention to the golden horse. Commodus patted the red horse's neck firmly. "This is Iduma, and they call him a Pyrros Warhorse." I nodded, looking at Iairos. He smiled at the tussled mane beneath his hand. "This is Midas, a new breed of Percheron. His gold color is almost unheard of in the breed." I nodded, chucking the reigns attached to Midas gently. "Fine horses. Now, Commodus, I believe you and I had a meeting." I said, and Commodus hopped down, a long jump to be sure. "So it seems. Iairos, take Iduma with you while you put Midas away. Maximus and I have some business to attend to." Iairos nodded and grabbed Iduma's reigns, his eyes resting on me for a moment before leading both of them to the barn. Commodus walked to the entrance of his shop, pulling the heavy, lion skin cloth from the doorway. "After you, General." he said, a gap-toothed grin accenting his dusty features. I ducked through the door, greeted by the aroma of molten metal. "Your shop grows hotter each time I enter." I commented, sweat already beginning to bead from my forehead. Commodus chuckled, a soulful sound. "Yes, but the temperatures will make it easier to mold your armor to your body, instead of tapping it."

To be continued...
© Copyright 2007 Maytrix (smaytrix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1217302-The-Story-of-MaximusPart-1