*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1218311-1-Message-Received
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Ekta
Rated: · Short Story · Activity · #1218311
An interesting new style of writing, it's called Flash Fiction. Tried it out and loved it!
Arun sat working in the office, working diligently through the night. In every coffee break he took, only one thought would bother him. Should he? He knew it was a big investment. But it was required, wasn’t it? Such big things always happened in the middle of the night. Didn’t the Hindi movies also assert that thought?

Two days after that night, Arun sat in the office. Not able to work. He kept opening the drawer of the table, where he’d kept it to avoid anyone from eyeing his new cellphone, and kept checking if it was still there. With invincible pride. The doctor had backed his thought. It would certainly help.

Each passing day had proved Arun wrong, nothing had happened in 3 days. Not even the greatly anticipated emergency. But he still kept stealing looks at his new cellphone every 15 minutes. The pride was still unvanquishable.

And it had happened. Arun had sat in the office, finally able to work, now that the initial excitement had worn off. And it had rung. For exactly 3 seconds and stopped. Arun had dropped his pen in the nervous excitement and opened the drawer, in slow motion, and seen the light that was just going off…had gone off. He took his new cellphone in his hand and eagerly, yet patiently, unlocked, and read the message. The phone fell from his hands. Too much excitement had numbed him. It had happened.

After precisely 3 minutes, he had managed to get on his feet, collect his new cellphone with renewed, glowing pride, locked the office, and take a cab to the hospital. He was finally a dad. And the owner of a fully functional cellphone.
© Copyright 2007 Ekta (e_4_ekta at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1218311-1-Message-Received