*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1218859-Understudy
Rated: E · Short Story · Arts · #1218859
A very short story written for " Pretty as a picture" contest
Understudy



    The years of training have never seemed a burden to the girl; it has, most definitely, been a labor of love. The hours of daily practice, years of classes, gala’s, and instructors less humane than war criminals, all for her one shot at greatness. Auditions for first understudy have begun; twenty-five girls from around the world for one spot, competition will be staggering.
 
    She arrived early to calm herself, studied the stage, walked every inch, noticed every nuance, as no two surfaces are the same. Never before has she seen such a theater; the Prima’s demonstration performance the night prior was flawless, made more spectacular by the magnificence of the luxurious place. Her turn will soon arrive and she must not allow herself to be awestruck by the enormity of it all, physically she is prepared, confidant of her routine, only mental aspects left to master.
   
    “A chance of a life time,” cannot begin to describe this opportunity, the chosen will personally train under, and alongside the greatest Prima Dona ballerina the world has known. If she is chosen, she will have to leave her home in Entburaugh Scotland and move here to Prague. That would be the hardest element to overcome, she would miss her parents and sister dearly, and they would not be able to afford this trip often. Many younger girls than her have made similar sacrifices for less, and she is secure that she can do the same.

    She reflects back on all that have supported her development, coaches and instructors, all of her sponsors, and many others that donated their time or skill to her training. Her dress would have cost her parents a thousand pounds had the British Isles Art Society not awarded her a bursary from London’s finest seamstress. Scotland’s premier composer volunteered to write her solo piece, “Mon coeur saigne pour vous” (my heart does bleed for thee), and her studio made available practice floor, and instructors for the past two years. The list goes on, an endless roll call of hopes and prayers followed her from home.
    Her time nears, she slides on her brand new pointe shoes, begins binding her feet, a process of winding and weaving the pink shear ribbons that pass as laces. She stands, moves onto point, (stands on the tips of her toes) to test the shoes for comfort, then lowers herself back onto her heels. Satisfied with her shoes, she walks over to the full-length mirror and inspects her appearance, from the ribbons in her hair, to the ribbons wrapped around her ankles. All is perfect; makeup, hair, leggings and dress, nothing left to do except leave everything she’s got on the stage.
  An assistant pokes her head into the dressing room and says,  “ Miss, you are wanted back stage,”  “ You are up next.”
    “Thank you” the girl replies, and follows the woman back stage, behind the curtains she waits for her introduction music to begin.
The end for now


 
© Copyright 2007 Port Lariat (guydickie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1218859-Understudy