*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1219042-Thank-You
Rated: E · Other · Personal · #1219042
Whoever donated me an upgraded membership, please read. Musings on the kindness of people.
I dropped my shopping today.

The shopping centre was busy, as it always is in the holidays, the cold stone tiles echoing with the screams of angry children and the sharp Northern accents of their young mothers. I had too much stuff – it’s always the same at this time of year, with so many birthdays to buy for (what happened in June 1988, I wonder, to make all my friends’ parents so happy?), but my pride is much too great to ask for help, and I am much too lazy to go home and come back; still, I had too many bags.

I think someone bumped into me, but my head truly was somewhere else, and the event is not unusual in my city, where few people smile because everyone is far too busy for that. People say the British are polite – not in the North they aren’t, or so is my experience. Nevertheless, one second I was two years back, in a sunny day by the pond, I think, and then the next I was sprawling in the middle of the floor, the heel of my right hand digging into what I was unpleasantly sure was chewing gum. Presents and cards and – okay, I admit it, a jumper and a couple of bracelets just for me, went flying in all directions.

To be honest, I felt a bit of a fool, especially because I think my trousers were falling down a bit. You could see my pants, which was not a position you want to be in. I resigned myself to a couple of sniggers and stood up again, dragging together my carrier bags along with my dignity. But somebody was there before me, and an older man gathered up my carrier bags and gave them to me with a quick smile and an ‘Are you alright?’ Then he left. I didn’t even see his face, and I only just said thank you before he strode away. All he left me with was a smell of some lovely cologne and a smile.

That really did make my day; until I got home.

I logged on to the lovely www.writing.com, and was surprised to have 11 new messages on – but I hadn’t been on for a week. I’m new here, so I guessed they might be newsletters; but really, they were some lovely reviews for my story, and an upgraded membership.

Now I don’t know who you are, anonymous donator, and you didn’t even leave me with so much as a smell of some lovely cologne. But you certainly left me with a big smile. Not only do I feel that there are some really kind people in the world, but also I feel motivated to write more. Whoever you are, thank you very much.
© Copyright 2007 Mirror Image (mirrorimage at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1219042-Thank-You