*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1221400-Angel
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1221400
But where did illusions stop, and reality begin? Before she knew it, he was gone...
Notepad--check. Colored pencils--check. Blanket--check. Anything else? I scanned the living room, pressing the bundle of supplies against my chest. No, there was nothing else. Now all I had to do was go to my drawing place, a few acres west from my country paradise.

Imagine this; a small rolling hill, as green as summer, each blade of grass glistening with mildew like a thousand tiny diamond in the sun. The sun, high above the great blue sky and filling the air with warmth. The wind, tickling your cheeks. This was what I approached after a short walk, and I felt as if I had discovered heaven itself.

I trekked up the hill, threw my blanket across the ground messily, and plopped myself down on the ground; before giving a startled gasp.

"My my, what is a lady like you doing out here alone?" a man's voice purred. I stood with one quick motion, my heart fluttering in my chest with fright. I hardly noticed that my pencils scattered all over the ground when I stood.

"Who are you?" I demanded, summoning up all of my strength to make my voice seem as intimidating as possible. A lot of good that did; he laughed at me. I glared at him, but couldn't help but gaze at the face of the man--flawless. He was beautiful. His cheeks were round and pale, his figure tall and strong, his hair a mess of perfect black curls. I would have fallen in love if it weren't for his eyes--pitch black.

"Your new enemy," he whispered in reply. I took a step back, immediately regretting the involuntary action. My heel caught the blanket, and I stumbled backwards, rolling down the hill like a rag doll. Right before I hit the ground at the bottom, I felt powerful arms break my fall. In a matter of seconds, I was cradled against his chest.

I screamed, struggling and kicking with all of my might; but the man was abnormally strong, and he didn't even struggle with my weight. Eventually, I calmed down, and glared with fury up at him.

"No need to struggle, dear, I'm here to save you, not harm you."

"Put my down or I'll kick your-" use your imagination on that last word.

He laughed, a sound as perfect as his appearance. "There will be none of that. Now just let me finish what I came for, darling, and I will be-"

All I heard after that was a muffled 'oof' escaping his lips, and a rush of wind as he flew forward with me in his arms. I couldn't even scream as he fell on top of me, hitting the ground with the force from the blow. In the same instant he was hit from behind, I was also lifted off the ground and onto my feet, pushed a few feet back and behind yet another man.

The first one was beautiful, but in a dark and handsome way; the second man was like an angel. His bare chest shone in the spring sun, his muscles tense from anger; his eyes were as blue as the sky, his hair flawlessly blonde. I cringed, holding my bruised ribcage.

"Who... who are you? You both... are trespassing... on private property." I uttered. They both looked over at me, as I seemed to be interrupting some sort of silent glaring competition.

"We'll meet again, James," the brown-haired man growled. He then disappeared, out of thin air. I let out a surprised gasp, stumbling backward. Before I could fall, the angel's arms caught me. It was as if he had vaporized out of thin air he had appeared there so fast.

"Let me go!" I yelled, my voice shaky. He did so, his face contorted with amusement. "Who was that? Who are you? That the hell just happened?" I barked at him.

"It's... it's nothing," he mumbled in a voice like a dream. "I'm sorry I came, but it was a good thing I did. He was about to eat you." I could feel my face draining of blood, horrified. He then laughed, shaking his head.

"I'm only kidding! Gosh, don't take things so seriously."

"Who are you?" I demanded.

"My name is James, but I can't tell you who I really am. All I can say is that I'm sorry about all of this. I was only protecting you."

My heart fluttered, a mix of fear and something else. I paused, biting my lower lip and staring at him, keeping my distance.

"You’re not like that other man," I observed.

"No, I'm not, and I never will be. I promise nothing like today will ever happen again, okay? You'll never see me again after this." He looked down at my small figure, puny in comparison to his great height. I suddenly realized that I was covered in scrapes and bruises. I blushed deeply, looking at the ground.

"Here," he said, holding out his hand. I cringed--I was a bit jumpy after the past few minutes. He merely smiled, waiting for me to take the clear glass bottle in his hands. I accepted it hesitantly, feeling a little too comfortable with him. "It will heal your wounds. Now I will leave you alone; I'll never be back, like a forgotten memory. I wish you the best of luck." He waved his hand, and was gone, just like the other man.

"Wait!" I called, but he was gone. I stood there, speechless, hanging my head and staring at the bottle in my hands. "Phoenix Tears," the label read.

"Like a forgotten memory," he had said. No, I thought, more like a dream. Because dreams aren't real... or are they? My scrapes and bruises were real. The bottle I held was real. But where did illusions stop, and reality begin? Because it was either I was crazy, or I was dreaming.

He seemed like a dream to me.

“Thank you,” I whispered.


Words: 998
© Copyright 2007 ChallieOden♥ (rhiai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1221400-Angel