*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1221826-The-auction
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Women's · #1221826
A auction with a differnt type of payment system.
         "Are you sure?"
         "That item right there is without a doubt Pandora’s box. And I want it"
         Nevada picked up the auction flyer off her desk. The law teacher looked hard at it. "I believe you. But why do you need my help to acquire it?"
         "If you turn to the front page you'll see that this is a charity auction. Everything raised goes to Africa."
         "You have more money than I do."
         "It isn't money that I need. Keep reading."
         Nevada kept reading "Say what? You have got to be kidding?"
         "I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on bras. Look here. A A cup is equal to a hundred dollars, a B cup is one thousand dollars, and so on. Instead of me buying a bunch of D cups I thought I would ask you to help me out."
         "But I'm not a D."
         "Melantha was. She left you her estate. Don't tell me you already got rid of her clothes. She always loved her underwear." Christina watched Nevada walked to the window. "I am not trying to hurt her memory but this is for charity."
         Nevada turned. "Alright you can have her bras. But I'm going with you."
         That weekend the two women walked into the Civic Auditorium with a big trunk between them. They careful made their way to the ballroom where they looked around. Many women had arrived each something full of bras. As they reached the sign-in table Nevada shifted the weight of her end of the box.
         "Names? Oh yes the archaeologist and the pop stars' sister. You're in row three seats twelve and thirteen."
         They went into the room walking carefully around others to their seats. Nevada was surprised to see so many people of all ages gathering. Christina noted her interest as they placed the truck at their feet.
         "Are there are more of these?"
         "Yes I went to one in South America that had animal tails as the currency."
         Nevada look appalled. "Do you go to these things all the time?"
         "Only when one of the world's greatest treasures ends up in one."
         Nevada almost asked what Christina bided for at the auction with the tails but decided against it. Something told her she didn't want to know. The room began to fill up quickly. Nevada looked around to she who she recognized and after a few friendly waves figured it wasn't a good idea. She saw a news crew setting up to film and thought she should not draw attention to herself. Bad enough she was sitting next to last months cover story in Discovery magazine. Thinking about that caused a thought to cross her mind.
         "The news is here, looks like they just went live and after last months article, another archaeologist might realize there is something of value here."
         Christina turned and saw the camera looking right at her. She groaned. "Swell."
         The auction started. As the host welcomed everyone to the event both women turned to look forward and tried to push all stray thoughts from their minds. The host talked briefly about the importance of sending bras to needy African women. Nevada tried to picture tribal women wearing Victoria secrets while gathering water. The host then talked about breast care, cancer and reminders of how wearing a good bra can relieve back pain in bigger women leading to better posture. When the auctioneer brought up the first item both women tucked their hands under them. It wasn’t a silent auction but they weren’t taking any chances. They didn’t want to get got with the winning bid to the wrong item. The items moved quickly. Although the currency was odd the items were not as Nevada watched one woman win a bid for a gold trimmed mirror. Christina sat up straighter when the box appeared. Nevada bit her lip. The auctioneer spoke. "Item 28 comes to us from a collection of Greek artifacts. It is three feet by two feet and is made out of bronze. It is sealed and unopenable. What is my opening bid?"
         "Two hundred thousand dollars." Christina said.
         "Two hundred thousand. Do I hear three?"
         "Four hundred thousand." Another woman said." Christina upped her. The two went back and forth till the bid stopped at one million. The other woman shook her head. "I'm out."
         Another voice spoke. "Two million." Christina turned.
         "Jones."
         "A rival?"
         "Yes." Christina stood. "I bid all I have. Sixty bras. Six million dollars."
         Nevada whistled. Jones smiled. Nevada felt her stomach fall. The auctioneer spoke. "Do I hear seven?"
         "Eight million." Jones said. Christina was fighting the urge to look defeated. Nevada couldn't stand it. She felt in her pocket for her cell phone and dialed quickly. As the two women staged a silently stare down Nevada heard the other end of her call being answered she spoke quickly as the auctioneer raised her gavel.
         "Do I hear nine? Nine million? Going once, going twice, -"
         "One billion!" Nevada stood. She held up her phone. "My sister is bidding enough bras to equal a billion dollars. In REAL value."
          Both Jones and Christina stared. “I’m out.” Jones said. They won. Christina hugged Nevada. She then took the phone. Jones walked up. Christina held up her hand before she could speak. Both Nevada and Jones stared at her as she spoke into the phone. As she handed the phone back to Nevada she spoke.
         "Your sister says that since you got her into this you and I have to donate what we have and buy the rest of the bras we need to come up with one billion."
         Jones offered the bras she brought. Christina thanked her then went on "But there is more. We have to appear in her next music video without any bras."
         Nevada paled "But her next video is being shot at Mawson Station in Antarctica!"
© Copyright 2007 Amyaurora (amyaurora at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1221826-The-auction