*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1221944-til-rain-pours
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #1221944
1st time to write....a love story...hope you'll love it.R & R please
It was gloomy then…the place was serene, as I saw her standing, her hair dancing ever so lightly with the breeze of air. She is staring at an image assembling an angel with its wings wrapped against its arms. Suddenly I heard her utter……”You promised…”

It started to rain, one by one it falls on my back, but it never made her move even a bit, she’s standing there still, as if waiting for someone to pull her back…back into life’s reality.

The feeling was the same as I remember a story I heard over and over again since I was a child. It is Yana’s story. She’s a 19 year old college girl, has curly brown hair, eyes as dark as hazel but never had drawn boys attention because of her stereotype intellectual image portrayed in the university. She’s somewhat weird with the baggy pants and a t-shirt hanging on her slim shoulders, but she had a boyfriend named Jed. A happy-go-lucky guy, not so cool looking—just an average student seen in an old university. One Sunday of December 1980, was raining then and not a very good day for her. It always made her feel slack and empty every time the cloud pours its tears reaching the face of the earth. 9 o’clock, the phone suddenly rang and Yana hurriedly pushed herself up from her bed and ran to the living room.

“Hello. Who’s this?” the sound of bareness can be heard from her voice.
“Can I speak to Yana?”
“Uhmm! Speaking! Whose this?” though the voice seems familiar she still asked.
“Ethan, remember?”
“As in Ethan Cruz? How dare you! You never gave me a single call, then there you are, as if nothing happened for four long years!!! I really hate you!!!
“Please let me explain….”
“I thought you are my best friend…” Yana said with exasperation and tears fell from her eyes but she didn’t know if its for gladness or for hate she felt for him.
“I wasn’t able to call you because I have matters to deal with at school. I never had the chance. Did u change your number? I only got it when my mom e-mailed me. I know these are lame excuses…..but will you forgive me?”

Ethan and Yana are childhood friends and their families have close ties but Ethan had to go to London and study after he finished high school. Ethan being older than Yana of about 5 years, she still remembers crying behind the door when he said goodbye to her family.

“Still there?” asked Ethan
“Yeah, sure! You missed me? How are you now?“
“No I don’t, Just kidding!!!! Great, but I feel much comfortable being at home?”
“What do you mean?”
“I mean home! Just got here yesterday. From the very moment I arrived I tried to call you…I think the lines got trouble or something.”
         
Goodbyes heard from their lips and the feeling of sadness again entered her. ”This time goodbye is temporary” she said to herself.

The next day Yana saw Jed but he didn’t gave her a glance or ask her how she’s doing. Weeks passed and she never received a call, she tried to call her boyfriends house but he is always with his friends. She then thought maybe his busy or worst he want her out of his life. “That’s fine. I’m okay!” she calmed her self.
She decided to do something for herself and stop thinking what others would feel, pampered herself in a salon, go shopping and get some kinky dress, get her hair done and gave her best friend a call. They do talk every single day, if it wasn’t him who called, she would. They spent most of the time together, that made her realize what a kind-hearted, loving, humble and handsome best friend she has. Their not kids now, but they acted like one when they were together. Yana started to fall for Ethan, but hesitated to tell him about it.

On the night of Yana’s birthday, Ethan gave her a dinner. The place was so tranquil, starry sky enveloped the place with the moon served as their light and a candle embedded with sequins on their table. Ethan started to ask silly questions that made Yana somewhat irritated.
“Do you still remember Jed? How he’s doing” teasing Yana. ”he will never recognize you now, you have turned into a beautiful and witty swan.” teasing her again.
“He’s dead! I heard he’s going insane, got into drugs….I’m not sure!

Yana felt bad for what had happened to her 4-year relationship. She almost blamed herself for giving up on Jed. Ifs and maybes were on her mind but what she felt then hurts her more, falling in love for her best friend without a clue if he’s up to something more than friendship.
“You know I love you!” Ethan said then smiled
“Yes you do idiot!” she said to her self. ”Promise me you’ll never leave me again!”
“I promise!” and gave Yana a kiss on the forehead.

The two got really drunk, lost their senses and never know the next thing that happened.

Days passed…Yana was surprised when she saw Ethan parked his car on the lot near her college building in a white jacket and an umbrella on his left hand. The rain was so strong, like it’s endless. That time didn’t gave Yana the same feeling she always had when it rains.

Suddenly they heard a voice saying “Run for your lives!” followed by BANG! BANG! BANG! Ethan fell into the corridor, mud smothered his gentle face, the white jacket turned reddish, and he was shot right through his heart. Yana , so shocked, can't move from where she stands then after a split second ran to Ethan and cried for help. Another guy was shot not so long before the police came on rescue. It was reported that a psychotic entered the premises and Jed was the said suspect.
-------
The spectacle of yellow, orange and red hues shined through the window, the sun was  up but still the cold gust of air entered the opening.  Yana, sitting on the side of the hospital bed, was staring on the face of Ethan. Memorizing the curves, edges and every single detail of him, his straight black hair, almond shaped black eyes, long lashes and his manly lips.

“Ethan, please wake up..its been three months and you’re still asleep, don’t you miss me?” her voice almost whispering.
“You love me, don’t you? Don’t you love your son?”

Ethan’s mom gave her a box of letters, supposed to be for her but never sent. Yana just always prayed that one day he’ll wake up.

One letter reads:

Yana,

Hi there, been very busy these past months. Hope you’re here. I just want to tell you I love you and I’m serious. Okay! I don’t want to trade our friendship for my happiness. Don’t know what to say. I just love you.

                                                                                                   Ethan



“Ethan, don’t do this to me, never leave me again please.” Yana said almost crying.

Tears fell from Ethan’s eyes so did the rain from the sky.
--

“Ma, Did you ever miss him?” Nathaniel Asked Yana
“Every day son, everyday…..you know you’re so much like him. You’re eyes, lashes…everything, you always remind me of him.”

The cemetery  is as calm as we arrived. I hugged my mom and tapped the angel adorned in my dad’s grave. The rain stopped, the sun shines on us and a rainbow will soon appear, a life ahead of us, me and my mom.

© Copyright 2007 annethony™ passeddboardexams (annethony at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1221944-til-rain-pours