*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1222206-Beginnings
Rated: E · Short Story · Occult · #1222206
This is the first short stories in a series of short stories entitled Hidden Lust.
Beginnings.


Temperance Cole stood, staring out into the bleak nothingness of the night. The stars seemed to wink at her from the vantage point high up in the night sky. Her heart had been ripped out. In its place was a cold chunk of ice that was mistaken for a heart. Somehow, Temperance knew that this was the beginning of the rest of her life. Loveless. The heartless witch with the power of telempathy.

Telempathy was the most powerful power in the line of Cole Witches. The Cole Witches dated back all the way to the time of the Salem Witch Trials when the matriarch was hung. Sarah Cole prophesized that there would be two witches, male and female with distinct powers. Temperance held the power of telempathy; her twin brother Race, he had the power of telekinesis and premonition. Both were the most powerful witches of their time. Race Cole was the oldest of the twins; but Temperance was the most powerful.

But this time, Temperance felt like her powers had deserted her. For all her ability to read thoughts and feel emotions, she never saw Daniel cheating on her. She never saw it coming. Daniel Rodgers was scum. He’d taken her, used her, and then cheated on her and threw her out.

The gaping whole in her heart bled openly. She didn’t think that she could ever go back to feeling anything at all. “Men are such assholes,” she muttered to herself, sitting in a lawn chair outside on the grass. “The lot of them can burn in hell.”

If only Race were here, she thought. Race was protective of her; a little too protective at times. Not that she minded; not at all. In fact, Temperance was the same way with him. Race had married the woman of his dreams and had a set of twin girls and a little boy. His wife Ana wasn’t a witch, but an oracle. She was a powerful oracle, connected to all things in the magical world. Their children, Cressida and Janie and little Dayan, were the next generation of magical beings.

Cressida and Janie were the apples of Temperance’s eye. They held the powers of telekinesis and telepathy. Little Dayan, he was the most wonderful child and the light of the family at only four. His powers were premonitions and empathy.

Temperance herself had no children. And she didn’t want any. She didn’t feel that she could be a mother. She couldn’t even keep a man with her. Her relationships were rocky at best. Broken at worst. The gods cursed her, Temperance told her friends the day she’d finally released her true feelings about Daniel. Not that they believed her, of course.

Tonight, she was spending her last day in Los Angeles with her best friend and confidant, Natalie. Natalie lived outside LA, in the suburbs, where one could see the stars. Temperance looked up and wondered what it would be like to reach out and touch said stars. Not that it was in anyway possible. Temperance didn’t have the power of levitation, and even if she did, she’d have to conjure some sort of space suit to be able to touch said stars.

She felt too domesticated. Doing domestic things on a daily basis gave her the sense that she was too predictable. It was like she was watching her life pass her by. She didn’t want to live another day stuck in the shadow of her own mistakes.

Suddenly it hit her. Temperance smiled to herself. She knew what she had to do. She had to start over. A new beginning. Something that she felt she needed to do.

Temperance didn’t even jump when Natalie walked out with a hot cup of British blend tea from Tetley in one hand and a jacket in the other. “You’ve got that look on your face, Tempest,” Nat told her, a frown on her face. “That never bodes well for any of us.”

“I’m thinking that I might start over in San Francisco. I might finally start that book shop I’ve always wanted to. You know, Nat, the occult book shop that sells the occult books and supplies to do all sorts of rituals and crap like that.”

“Tempest, are you sure you can do that?” Nat asked.

“I can call Race and live with him until I get an apartment or rent a place in San Francisco,” Temperance replied. “We both know that I can’t stay in LA. Daniel will make it miserable by flaunting his relationship with Rachel in front of my face.”

“He’s scum,” Nat spat out. “I told you when I met him that I didn’t like the vibes he gave off.”

“I wasn’t getting those vibes, Nat, and we know that I should have,” Temperance replied. It had been the only time that her empathic ability had failed her. Daniel’s infidelity. Her empathic ability should have picked up on it the moment she met him, but it hadn’t. Thus she was in the here and now, still reeling from the pain and trying to figure out the perfect way to begin anew without anyone having known about her lack of good judgment in the case of men.

“Tempest, I know you should have,” Nat replied, laying a comforting hand on her shoulder. “We all have lapse’s in judgment sometimes. You are, after all, human first and foremost.”

“Yeah,” Temperance scoffed, “A human with the ability to read human thought and change memories. Let’s not forget the uncanny ability to feel everyone’s emotions at will. It’s called telempathy.”

“I’m very well aware of what it’s called, Tempest,” Nat chided. “I’ve known for a while know, and yet you still have to remind me that you aren’t fully human.”

“Because you seem to forget that little bit of information.”

“Do not.”

“Nat, can we not argue about it? I’m not technically human, end of story.” Temperance sighed and closed her eyes. Seconds of silence passed by before she opened them again. Natalie had seated herself across from Temperance and was drinking the tea she’d brought out.

“You know that it will take money to start an occult bookstore, don’t you?”

“Of course,” Temperance replied. “Race has offered to help me in anyway he can. And besides, Race and Ana are ready to teach the twins about magic and their heritage.”

“Heritage?”

“As the next generation of magic, Cressida, Janie and Dayan are going to need to know everything there is to know about magic.”

“I realize that, Tempest, but why now? The twins are barely six and little Dayan is only four.”

“Race wanted the girls to be able to protect themselves. He and I won’t be around forever. Plus, Ana thinks that Cressida may have more than just telepathy and telekinesis. She thinks that Cress has some of the Oracle powers too,” Temperance shifted her position on the lawn chair and looked Natalie in the eye. “Stop thinking that, Nat. I don’t want to hear it.”

“Stay out of my mind, Tempest. I was just thinking that Cress and Janie should be allowed to enjoy a normal childhood with normal childhood things. Not magic.”

“They aren’t normal kids, Nat, and you know that. Their parents aren’t your average parents. Race can see the future; so can Ana. Race can move things with his mind. Ana can predict when she’s going to conceive a child.”

“And they want to subject both girls to that?” Nat asked, completely misunderstanding the concept of training magical children early on in life about their powers and magic.

“Yes.” The answer was simple, but it spoke volumes of Temperance’s opinion of things within the magical world.

“I just think that it’s wrong, Tempest,” Nat told her in a defeated tone. Temperance could understand Natalie more than the young woman knew. The depth of emotion that radiated off the girl was a mass of compassion and rebellion that young children should lose their innocence so early.

“I know you to, Nat. Believe me. When I was their age, I was a mass of nerve endings ready to break. My parents were killed and I didn’t know how to use my magic. Race isn’t taking that chance with Cress, Janie and Dayan. And I wouldn’t want him too.”

“Tempest, I know that you and Race aren’t going to be around forever, but can’t you hold off until the twins are ten?”

“No. They have to learn now. By the time I was ten, I could read people like a book. I could manipulate memories and even implant memories into the minds of those that needed it. I could even take away a bad memory and replace it with new ones,” Temperance sighed. “They will be trained now, Nat. No matter how many oppose it.” Temperance knew that her voice had taken on a hard edge to it, but she didn’t seem to care.

“When are you leaving to go back to San Fran, Tempest?” Nat asked, effectively changing the subject.

“I’m not sure. I’ve finally quite the paper, so I don’t have to worry about quitting my job. Daniel took care of it for me. I don’t really have much to move. Just my bed and a few pieces of furniture that I left at my old apartment. Pretty basic stuff,” Temperance replied. “Oh! And my clothes. We all know that I have boxes upon boxes of clothing.” Natalie laughed.

“You do,” Natalie agreed. “I think we’ll need to call the movers just to move your clothes.”

“Will not!” Temperance exclaimed in, pretending to be insulted. “I don’t have quite that many cloths, Nat. Just about three big boxes, which should fit perfectly into the Jeep.”

“When we moved you into Daniel’s house, you had eight boxes of clothing. What’d you do with the rest of it?”

“Some of my stuff disappeared in the wonderful break up with Daniel. And it all went to Rachel. So, I have half the clothing that I once had. The ass of a man gave most of it to her. And I bet you have get all my crap stuff back.”

“Oh, I know that you’ll get all the shitty clothing back, Tempest. Daniel had an eye for clothing. He knew what was fashionable and most of what you have was fashionable.”

“It’s a damn good thing that I have my lace up boots. I’d have to turn Rachel and Daniel into toads,” Temperance mused. “It’s still a promising thought.”

“You couldn’t. You’d risk the wrath of Rhiannon and Apollodorus if you did,” Natalie stated.

“I know. Why do you think that I haven’t once thought about dunking Daniel in the Dead Sea? I’d be on magical probation for the rest of my short life.”

“That’d be funny though, Tempest. You’d find everyway to break the rules without actually breaking them wouldn’t you?” Nat laughed.

“You know I would. I hate conforming to rules. We all know this.”

“And somehow, you want to start an occult bookstore that sells ritual ingredients and tools for magic. How will Rhiannon and Apollodorus react when they find out?”

“Actually, Rhiannon and Apollodorus are all for the idea,” Temperance replied. “They’ve been trying to get me to do it for years. I just didn’t listen all that well.”

“I guess. Why listen now if you haven’t in the past? It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. You’ve never wanted to do something that they wanted you to do.”

“I’m starting to realize that the reckless nature has run out on me. Plus, I need to leave LA. The Cole witches need to start sticking together for the twins and Dayan. Race and I aren’t exactly sure, but within the next few years, we have a feeling that there will be ungodly creatures coming after the kids.”

“And Race wants you to be there to help him protect the kids.”

“Exactly. I’m a damn good fighter, and I’m quick on my feet,” Temperance replied.

“Well, you’ll work it out,” Natalie smiled and then yawned. “I think I’m gonna head in and slip off into dreamland. Lock the doors when you come in?” Natalie asked as she got up and began to walk toward the house.

“Yeah,” Temperance replied and sighed heavily. She hadn’t talked to someone like that since her breakup with Daniel. Upon hearing the door close, Temperance knew that it was safe to unblock her empathic abilities and feel the sorrow of the world. She felt a young woman near her, contemplating suicide by cutting her wrists open with a rusty razor blade. Immediately Temperance focused on the girl and saw the world through her eyes.

My name is Temperance Cole. Temperance felt the complete and utter shock that the girl felt. What is your name?

Abigail Susan McLaren. How am I able to talk to you like this?

I’ve got this special power that I am projecting to you, Abigail. I’ve felt your pain and I wanted to help you out.

I’m not in pain.

But you are! You wouldn’t decide on suicide if you weren’t in pain. I can take all the bad memories away for you, if you want me too. Temperance sighed and leaned back, closing her eyes so that she could concentrate again. Keeping a mental connection with anyone but her brother was taxing on her strength. Making a mental note to go inside before things got too bad, Temperance relaxed a little more into her mental connection with Abigail.

I don’t want to lose any memories! You can’t possibly do that to me, could you? Temperance could hear the wonder in the girl’s voice.

I could if it meant that I would be saving your life, Abigail. Can I call you Abby?

Yes. Would removing my bad memories mean that you’ll be able to replace them with other good ones?

Yes, if you want me too. And I can replace the ones of those who hurt you too.

You’d do that for me?

If it meant that you’d not kill yourself, yes. Though tampering with memories is tricky business.

Then why offer? I knew that you were too good to be true.

Abby, I’m not saying that I won’t do it. It’s easy enough to erase and replant new memories. What is not so easy is the time continuum of said memories. They have to feel like the real thing, even if it didn’t happen.

Oh.

Give me some names and I’ll take care of it.

Natasha Reid, Carson Phillips and Dawna Lauren. They’re all mean to me. They call me a liar, a cheat and a whore.

They’re child’s play to alter, Abby. But you, you’ll have to sit tight for a bit.
Temperance reached out; seeking all the names she’d been given. It took her a half hour to replace their memories with new ones.

Are you done?

Yes. You’re pain will ease, Abby. You just have to trust in yourself.

Thank you, Temperance.

You’re welcome. Anytime you have need of me, just call out with your mind and I’ll come to you.

Alright. Goodnight.

Night.
Temperance shook herself to wake up and gladly walked back into the house, remembering to lock the door as she went inside.

© Copyright 2007 Jennifer Bennett (jenniferbennet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1222206-Beginnings