*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1223025-Understand
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1223025
My first item, wee! So excited.
The people didn't understand...perhaps they never will.

Let me show you something. See this leaf I just picked from a tree? Isn't it a beautiful green? I remember seeing childern collect leaves from trees to play. Then, after a couple of days, the leaves would turn brown.

Look at the leave in my hand, it is already yellowish brown.

Power of evil?, you may ask. No, it is not, I say. The power within me is the power of darkness. Darkness is not evil. I have the ability to stop every movement on earth. My power is the power of stationary, of calmness, of silence, or darkness. Darkness is not evil.

But the people did not understand. They were angry and scared of my abilities. They drove me away and burned down my home. I, now having no place to return to, chose the forest as my shelter.

I ran, I'll tell you. I ran as none of you have or would ever run. I did not know for how long, but when it seemed like forever, I stopped. I was scared, hurt and tired, but most of all paranoid. I shivered at every whistle of the wind and jumped at every sight of a moving shadow.

I knew the people didn't stop their hunt of me. I could smell the chaos in the air. Why could they not understand? I do not wish to be what I am, but I cannot choose, can I not? It was somebody up there that presented me of this curse, is it not? Why could they not understand?

The people have caught me. After a few days of hiding, I am glad that it was all over. If my life was what they wanted, they can have it. I have nothing left to treasure, not even my soul. They have taken that from me long ago. I can feel no fear, no pain. The only thing that appeals to me now is to be rid of this question ringing in my head: Why could they not understand?

The people didn't understand...perhaps they never will.
© Copyright 2007 ShatteredGlass (shatteredglass at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1223025-Understand