*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1223322-Fidelity-and-Devotion-WIP
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Experience · #1223322
A story of Girl meet Two Boys [i apologize for bad formatting]
~ One ~




It had been two years since Jamie had been Home. Not out of spite or any vengeful reason. It had just been put off over and over again until it became a vague plan for the future. Her parents had never been happy she had decided to go to school so far away, worried they would lose her. Perhaps, they were right.

The keys jingled as she pulled them from her coat pocket. Her fingers fumbling as she searched for the one to unlock the door the guest house.

“Hurry it up, would you. I’m freezing my ass off here.” A voiced hissed in her ear. Jamie looked up to glare mockingly at her best friend, Elizabeth Towne, or Izzy, as she was known affectionately by nearly everyone.

“I’m going as fast as I can. My fingers are frozen and I forget which key it is.”

“Just give it to me. Not even my place and I know it better than you.” Izzy mumbled as she yanked the keys from Jamie’s hand and found it immediately.

It wasn’t surprising, Izzy practically lived there, even when Jamie had been away at school. Jamie couldn’t remember a time when they hadn’t known each other, if there even was one. Their families had been close for so long there was no doubt a blood relation somewhere.

They had become best friends from day one, sharing everything from blocks to clothes to boys, and almost even birthdays. Yes, cliché, but true. They were barely five days apart.

“Yeah, yeah.” Jamie pushed open the door and stepped into the darkened hallway. It was like she was sixteen all over again.

Her parents, moderately wealthy, had purchased a modest mansion which included the small bungalow next door. They had converted it into a guest house which Jamie had quickly adopted as her own. It wasn’t anything fancy, but she loved it all the same.

It consisted of two bedrooms – the master bedroom having it’s own adjoined bathroom – a second half bathroom, a kitchen, and a living area. Outside was a large in ground pool shared with the main house, a hot tub, and a deck large enough for a table of six, a barbeque, and a wet bar.

Home sweet, home.

“No time to reminisce. We’re gonna be late and you’re not even dressed.” Izzy said firmly, stepping in behind her.

“Two minutes, I swear.” Jamie flashed her a meek smile.

“Yeah, right.” Izzy was right. Jamie was terrible with time. She would be late even if she had started getting ready two days earlier.

Jamie made her way down the hall to the master bedroom, suitcase in tow, and slipped in. Her brown eyes swept over the silhouettes illuminated by the twilight outside the windows. The queen sized bed in the center, the dresser to the right, and a small vanity.

Jamie heaved her suitcase onto the bed and unzipped it. The clothes she had planned to wear folded neatly on top; a pair jeans with a cute off-white lace top, and a brown sweater to go over. This shouldn’t take long at all, she thought to herself.

Somehow, getting dressed, doing her make-up, and running a brush through her hair, managed to take her nearly an hour.

“What were you doing in there?” Izzy said incredulously.

“Shut it.” Jamie retorted. “Just because you can climb out of bed in a pair of dirty, old pyjamas and still look like a million dollars, doesn’t mean everyone can.”

Izzy just rolled her eyes. She knew it was true. But that was Izzy. A free spirit who didn’t care what anyone thought of her. She radiated confidence, and it made her even more beautiful. No wonder everyone liked her. Throughout high school, one would be hard pressed to find an enemy of hers; if any disliked her, their animosity was borne of envy. For as outspoken and sarcastic as Izzy was, she was never rude or spiteful.

“I do look amazing, don’t I?” she struck a pose to model her cargo pants and a long sleeve shirt with the words Bang Me beneath a picture of a set of drums. Her short hair, tinted a dark, indigo blue this month, had been styled in a way that made Jamie think she really had just hopped out of bed and left it.

“Always a picture of perfection.” Jamie said methodically as she slipped into a pair of sneakers.

“No need to get sarcastic.” Izzy pointed to a small gift bag beside the door. “Don’t forget Tracy’s present.”

When they stepped outside, they found their ride awaiting them. It was Izzy’s twin brother, Mason Towne.

[Insert Twin Comparison Here]

“Finally ready, I see.” Jamie just rolled her eyes as she climbed into the back seat, happy to be out of the cold. It was only the beginning of March, so winter still had a firm grip on them. “Let’s go.”

Staring out the window, she watched the scenery drag by while the twins argues. She felt like she was waiting for something exciting, even though the invite had mentioned board games. Happy 21st birthday!

** *** **



~TWO~



“Jamie!” she barely had time to react before she was pulled into a bone crushing embrace. They had finally arrived and were currently standing at the front door of the quaint farmhouse. The door had flung open and the group was immediately greeted with a shout, Jamie bearing the brunt of it. She hadn’t seen the girl who was draped dramatically over her in months.

“Trace. Good to see you.” She was only released after awkwardly returning the hug. Jamie wasn’t a ‘touch-feely’ person and was still uncomfortable with this sort of thing.

“I’ve missed you,” Tracy cooed. Over the past couple years visits had been few and far between. After high school, their close knit group of friends kept in touch, but with everyone scattered across the country side for school and other such reasons, getting together had become increasingly difficult.

“You look amazing, Tracy, “ Jamie stood back so she could get a good look at her. During high school, Tracy had always been a plain girl. No makeup, hair pulled back, and her clothes were worn merely for necessity. It seemed two years did a lot to a girl.

Her jet black hair fell into soft furl around her shoulders, framing a face looking quite radiant. She wore a red mid0thigh length skirt topped with a white fitted t-shirt, a pair of pursed lips across the front.

“Thanks,” Tracy beamed. “You too.”

“Quite playing nice. You know she hasn’t changed at all.” Izzy commented. Tracy flashed Izzy a smile and stepped back from the door. “Come in, Come in.”

The three of them followed her over the threshold and found themselves standing in her kitchen. It was like they had stepped though a time portal.

“I see it still looks like the seventies threw up in here.” Izzy said playfully. It was true, they all knew it. Everything was a retro shade of burnt oranges and puke greens. Jamie hadn’t been there in what felt like forever. Memories came flooding back. Some good: baking cookies with Mrs. Viller. Some unpleasant: sitting with Tracy after her mother’s funeral. It was definitely more than a kitchen.

“The party’s downstairs in the rec room,” Tracy pointed towards the hallway on the left. “I’ll be down in a sec; I just gotta grab some munchies.”

The retro décor in the kitchen was carried through the rest of the house, the same colours in the geometrically patterned wallpaper and shag carpet. The familiar smell of Viller family recipes hung in the air. Jamie had almost forgotten how much fun she had had her as a kid. She smiled to herself.

They stepped into the rec room and found most people had already arrived. Everyone sat around the room on couches, spare chairs, and some on the floor. In the center of the room was a pool table, two guys she’d never met were in the middle of a game.

“You know most people here,” Tracy said, coming down behind them. “Tatum, Mark, Julia, and the lot.” She motioned to the group around them.

“Hey,” They said in unison. Jamie replied with a smile and a wave.

“These two guys are Alex and Brian.” Jamie looked up and Tracy and raised and eyebrow. Tracy just nodded in understanding, and introduce the others.
Jamie returned her attention to the guys at the pool table, pretending to be interested in the game. She snuck another look at the one named Alex and was pleasantly surprised. She found the brightest blue eyes she had ever seen looking back at her. He had dark blonde hair that came to his shoulders, and was wearing a black Metallica hoody. Jamie smiled shyly before looking away.

Izzy nudged her and mouthed “Hottie”. Jamie grinned back. So, tonight wasn’t going to be so lame after all.

** *** **


~Three~


“So, what is Alex doing here?” Jamie had pulled Tracy aside.

“He invited himself.” At a quirk of Jamie’s eyebrow, Tracy added. “I was talking to him the other day and mentioned the party. He just sort of showed up on his own tonight.”

“I didn’t realize you two were still in touch.”

“We talk occasionally.” Tracy shrugged.

“Interesting...” Jamie’s voice trailed off as she glanced across the room. A few years back, Tracy and Alex had had a fling. It didn’t last very long. Tracy ended things early on due to a disagreement. He wanted sex and Tracy wasn’t ready. Jamie remembered hearing stories about him but never had the chance to meet him.

“I know that look,” Tracy grinned.

“What are you talking about?”

“Don’t give me that. You know exactly what I’m talking about.” She looked towards Alex. “You like him, don’t you?”

“Don’t be ridiculous. I haven’t even said two words to the guy.”

“Yeah, but you think he’s cute.”

Jamie couldn’t think of anything to dispute it, probably because Tracy was right. So, instead, she gave Tracy the evil eye and walked away. She could hear her laughing the whole way.

“What was that all about?” Jamie was obviously still blushing when she sat down next to Mason.

“Nothing, Tracy is insane.” Jamie said flatly. She could feel the butterflies in her stomach and the quickened heartbeat. She may not have spoken to him yet, but she could tell a crush was forming. She had been sneaking peeks at Alex all evening. To her surprise – and enjoyment – she found that more often than not, he was looking back.

Mason smirked before changing the topic to music. Jamie attempted to listen, but her attention was elsewhere. She made sure to add in a nod and smile here and there, but Mason was not the be fooled.

“That was when I picked up the axe and chopped her to bits.” Mason said a little louder.

“Oh really? That’s wonder-“ Jamie blinked, “Wait! What?”

“You’re not even listening.”

“I’m sorry.” Jamie returned her full attention to her friend. “I promise, I’m listening.”

“Don’t worry about it. You’re obviously somewhere else tonight.” He gave her a dismissing wave of his hand. “Wasn’t important anyway.”

“I’m sorry,” she repeated.

“Dinner.” Eric, Tracy’s youngest brother, called from the top of the stairs.

It didn’t take long for the procession of hungry party goers to arrive in the Viller dinning room. Everyone grabbed a plate and got in line.

“They really went all out tonight.” Tatum said as she slipped in line behind Jamie. “Look at this. Salads, hamburgers, meatballs, chicken wings. Oh, spring rolls!”

Instead of returning to the basement, everyone scattered themselves throughout the dining room and adjoining living room. Jamie, choosing the latter, settled into a large armchair in the corner. Izzy followed and sat on the floor in front of her.

“I saw you staring.” Izzy’s voice was muffled by the mouthful of caesar salad. It did little to hide her amusement.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Jamie said sourly. “You and Tracy are imagining things.”

“I also saw him staring back.” Her heart skipped. So she wasn’t seeing things. Her eyes darted around the room, her years of high school crushes training her for subtlety.

It didn’t take long for her to find what she was looking for. Along with Mark and Tatum, Alex had joined Izzy and Jamie in the den.

Sitting almost opposite her, Alex was starting in on his dinner and talking animatedly to the others. Jamie watched him, under the pretence she was watching the television not far to his right. She was beginning to feel like a stalker.

He was attractive, she couldn’t deny that. Something about his eyes just jumped out at her. He seemed like someone you could trust, something very important to Jamie. She had not found a lot of that in her past.

“You think?” Jamie pressed ever insecure in matters of attraction. “Maybe you are just imagining things.”

Jamie almost preferred it that way. She could admire from afar with out detection or confrontation. It was safe.

After dinner, they hung out upstairs indulging in the dessert that had replaced dinner. It didn’t take long for Mr. Viller, to Tracy’s dismay, to bring out home movies. For an hour the group, which now included the rest of Tracy’s family, watched the videos. They were treated to the Viller’s vacations, renovations, and milestones of their childhoods.

“Hey, Trace. Didn’t you mention board games.” Mason piped up.

“Oh, right. You kids go enjoy yourselves.” Mr, Viller stopped the movie and smiled.
A few groans rang out as they made their way back to the rec room, but the majority were just happy to be free of them movies.

Games turned out to be more fun than expected. Twister was played most and livened things up. Grown up they may be, mature they were not. Many off colour jokes rang out, encouraged mostly by their new friends Alex and Brian.

People began to leave as the night went on. Each promised future get togethers and bid regretful goodbyes as the stepped out the door. When it came time for Alex and Brian to leave, Jamie felt heavy. She would never see this boy, those eyes, again. She sighed heavily and slipped into her shoes as the door closed behind him.

“Bye, Trace. It was great to see you again.” Though prepared for the hug, she stilled felt herself tense. Jamie patted her back awkwardly before adding. “We need to get together more often now that I’m living back in town.”

“For sure”

“Happy birthday.” Jamie pried herself from the vice-like grip and headed out.

She went straight for the bedroom when she got home. She hadn’t had anytime to herself since coming back and was happy with the solitude.

Letting herself fall back onto the mattress, the springs squeaking from the sudden weight, she found herself thinking about Alex. And those eyes{/i]. Without hesitation, she pulled her cellphone from her sweater pocket.

U never told me Alex was so cute. The words glared up at her from the LCD screen as she hit the button labelled ‘send’.
© Copyright 2007 Amingley (medablack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1223322-Fidelity-and-Devotion-WIP