*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1223349-Moores-Island--Part-1
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1223349
What happens to a teenage girl on an unexplored island with only her father to turn to?
Valerie and her father, Vincent, had finally set sail for the island that would be their new home. Vincent had signed the papers yesterday to purchase the rights to the island and it had taken some time to gather their belongings and load the ship. Valerie had been so excited she couldn't eat or sleep. Standing in the prow with the wind in her long, black hair she watched the dolphins leaping through the waves.

"Honey, you need to come down to the cabin. It's going to storm soon." said her father.

"Papa, what's our new home going to be like?" asked Valerie.

"Well, with the help of these sailors we can make our home any way we want. With the supplies and livestock we bought we shouldn't have too hard of a time. Why do you ask this now?" replied Vincent.

Valerie's brow furrowed in thought for a moment and she said "I know I'm only 15 but papa you're not a young man anymore. Why, your birthday is coming up and if I remember rightly you'll be 43. Are you sure you're up to adventure?"

"Now, Val, you know the doctor gave me a clean bill of health" said Vincent. "Now go below before this storm hits, ok?"

"Ok, papa." said Valerie.

She threaded her way through the coils of rope on the deck and Vincent followed in her wake. Once in the cabin she climbed onto her bunk and lay down. All the fresh air had made her sleepy and she wanted a nap. Vincent snapped up the rails on the side of the bunk to ensure his daughter wouldn't fall out of bed while she slept and left the cabin to look in on the livestock in the hold.

This trip overseas was a short one, only 3 days until their island adventure started but Vincent wanted to make sure their animals were being cared for to prevent any mishaps along the way. They brought along pigs, chickens, a milk cow, 4 sheep and a ram. The animals were in the aft or rear part of the hold and their family belongings were in the fore or front secured with various types of netting to insure things didn't bump around.

Vincent went back up to his cabin to make sure all was ready for the upcoming storm. The captain had spoken with him shortly before sailing assuring both of his passengers of a safe trip. He told Vincent that the safest place to moor the ship would be the lee of the island and showed a map of the area. Someone had already built a pier that would be useful but the captain stated that the island was, indeed, uninhabited. The crew would stay for one week helping to build the house and to secure the animals, Vincent had paid enough for this amenity.
© Copyright 2007 Doc Bones (biscuitboar65 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1223349-Moores-Island--Part-1