*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1225224-Walking-back-from-the-edge
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1225224
Nina looks over the edge of a cliff. Today's practice writing piece.
Nina's toes dangled over the edge of the cliff as she stood there looking down. The white foam and jagged rocks made an inviting scene as she watched the water ebb and flow crashing against the rocks. Absentmindedly she turned her head slightly so the constant wind would not blow her hair past her eyes as much and the sound of the wind going past her ears seemed to grow louder.

Her gaze shifted for a moment toward the deeper, seemly still water farther away from the land. A large plume of water erupting against the rocks brought her vision back to the vista below her.

She fought the urge to lean forward. She'd heard that for cliff diving you had to jump far enough away to land in the still water beyond the rocks and even then the winds could still blow you back to a disastrous landing among the rocks.

She tried turning back to look at her car parked on the gravel road behind her. The wind started whipping her hair about her face in earnest making it difficult for her to see, she raised her hands to try and grab her out of control hair. Why hadn't she put it in a ponytail today? Too late now, she didn't have anything to hold it back other than her hands.

She put her sandals back on, and slowly, reluctantly, she walked back away from the edge toward that gravel road and her transportation back.
© Copyright 2007 Erratic Echo (wcinotto at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1225224-Walking-back-from-the-edge