*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1226301-Crystalis-Moon-Runner-Ep-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1226301
Join Kouseki and Vingo in the next thrilling episode of Crystalis Moon Runner!
Crystalis Moon Runner
-by Charles "CZA" Sweet II          

Episode 1: Caution! Smooth Surfaces Crack Easily!

         It never really struck me as odd that I would die. I remember my Philosophy teacher prosetylizing over the hemlock Aristotle was forced to suck down. He would say things like, "Now! THIS is the most important time in your lives! Cherish the fact that you are here, and free, and even more so, free to think!" Yep. That guy was a few pennies short of a dollar, but I liked him. I mean, sure, he was every bit the eccentric with the wild white-gray hair that seemed to explode from his skull. Or maybe it was the way when he talked to you, you felt almost as energized and motivated as he was. At any rate, he made a significant impact on my life thus far, and I guess, for all intents and purposes, my death. Now, don't take me as being the melodramatic manic type just because I'm talking about dying. Truth is, just like I said a few seconds ago, I'm on my way out as we speak. Funny how one thinks back on their lives when they're about to lose it.
         "You know Kouseki, instead of always staring at the stars, you COULD be outside with the other boys playing ball. Sometimes I think you would rather be up there then down here."  My mother. I loved her dearly but man was she a pain or what? As a kid growing up in Urban Sub-Sector 3.581, I didn't really care for kiddish things like that. I was more interested in (I guess what I figured to be) more adult things like history, astronomy, you know, stuff decidedly NOT HERE. My moms was partly right about me wanting to be up there, because I did. That was after I found out that the majority of the adults here would rather learn about how to avoid the Lonestars as opposed to the backstory of where they live. Not too many knew that this cess pit used to be called Vermont back in the days. I bet even less knew that at one point, it used to be that you could vote on your public officials and therefore influence the way the nation (United States of America, I think it was called) was run. Naw. They're more concerned with cornering their next rat burger or dumping more cash on their EuroCard. Realization can be a bad thing because once I realized that bettering oneself was seen in the same light as falling on a vibroblade, my gaze went upwards and outwards.
         It wasn't totally that I was anti-social to the others in my projects, it just felt weird having everyone stare at me all the time. My family was one of the first to move here after Neo Tokyo lost the war with whatever fictional space alien fleet they cooked up that week. I personally think they didn't surrender like they said they did, but wanted to kick everyone out to get at the precious mineral deposits underneath. Everyone except the military were told to evacuate and we came here. I'm kind of losing what I was saying a moment ago, so I'm gonna double back, okay? Like I said, I wasn't being anti-social. I come from a very distinctively Japanese heritage, but the prior generation deviated because my Japanese mother married a black space pilot named "Something or other". I say that because I hate him. I hate him for not being there. I hate him for making my mother cry so many years ago. Most of all, I hate him because he didn't tell her about him being a part of a secret research project that would ultimately make me the anomaly (a.k.a. freak, a.k.a. laughing stock ,a.k.a. object needing to be constantly stared at but never spoken to--but its okay to talk ABOUT me behind my back to your snickering little buffoon friends) that I am today. My mother had long, rich black hair and raven eyes. I don't know about him, but I'm guessing his hair was black. My little sister's hair was black, and she had mom's eyes. What I don't understand is how I came out with coffee-colored eyes and ASH GRAY hair! I guess that's neither here nor there but, I'm still hot about that one.
         That was pretty much my existence althroughout middle school into high school where things became a bit more interesting. (I say "interesting" like its the grandest thing, don't I?) High School is where I met Vingo. Vingo's real name is Vincent Van Gough, but hates it so much he shortened it to Vingo. Can't say I blame him. Anyway, I met him one day after last period as I was on my way home. He was sitting lackadaisically underneath a NewTree on a hill bank with his hands behind his head staring aimlessly off into the distance. Obviously, he's not from around here. Either that or he's just weird. What got me was his attire. Did he really think he could go around dressed like he just hopped off a horse fresh from the 1870s? He wore calf high, leather-looking boots with ungainly high heels; a flannel shirt with breast pockets and to top it off, a dusty wide-brim hat. His bedraggled beige duster-now cruddy brown by the way-blew lightly in the wind.
         He must've heard me thinking as I passed him because rom behind me came a raspy "Like my threads?" Not wanting to stop, I shot back, "Sure. But I think you're a few centuries late on that fad." I was almost around the curve at the bottom of the hill when I heard "Only about 8 or so. 16th century America wasn't it?"{/i) That was it. Vingo and I hung together from then on. Turns out, he's into his culture as much as I am with mine. "You see 'Seki, my family can be traced back all the way to the 1830's in Nevaadey," (I hated when he would try to use the supposed accent when he talked. It sounded horrible but every now and again he would slip it in there for "authenticity" as he called it.) "Reckon that makes me one of the last REAL cowboys here since most everyone else either came from Neo Tokyo, The Canadian Republic, or one o' them lil' insugnificand places." Vingo could speak fully as well as anyone, but it was his thing, and who was I to try to change him.  Senior year, I even let him talk me into coming to class in a traditional kimono. That didn't help me win any votes with the chicks, but he always had a way of making things interesting. (there it goes again!)
         At the end of the term, we discussed what we wanted to do once we graduated. "'Seki, we ought to do somethin', how you folks say, praducdive, with ourselves once we leave here." I interjected, "Yeah, we should. Like College. That's what people do when they finish High School." Donning his trademark pseudo-angry face he snapped back, "No! I mean somethin' that'll set us up fo' life! Listen, I know you know about my family's history right? (I nod) We was some of the first to go out west when the gold rush hit. People was making their fortunes! Don't you want that, Seki? Don't you want to NOT follow the same mundane, overly drab existence that everyone is committed to?" Vingo always spoke more correctly when he really meant what he was saying, "Vingo...I don't know. I guess. I mean, the only options available to us are to join the SpaceNavy; become a Lonestar or go to college. That's it." "I hear that they got themselves a fine ol' expeditionary force cranking up set to travel outside of the federated planets! Do you know what that means?!? The treasures we could find?! The adventure? Not to mention the oodles and boodles of fine alien women who absolutendoodaly LOVE big, strong, military types." Shrugging it off, I turned and looked at my friend, "I just don't know. My mother really wants me to go to college because I'm the only one she has le-" Cutting me off in mid-sentece, Vingo said, "Just sleep on it a while. We still got a lil' time left before the year is over and we might find something better than that! C'mon, I got a present fo' ya."

*This is Kouseki Yoru, and I honestly can't believe that you're still tuned in! (Vingo) You're such a Pessy-mice...ah, Pissy-miss...um, Pe-(Kouseki) The word is Pessimist Vingo, and no I'm not. I just think people can find something better to do with their time than peer in on my life! Anyway, on the next episode, Vingo and I take the SpaceNavy exam, we go to the party of the ages, and a tearful goodbye! All this and more on Crystalis Moon Runner Episode 2: Starlit Dreams Ahoy!*

End of Episode 1
© Copyright 2007 The CZA (thecza at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1226301-Crystalis-Moon-Runner-Ep-1