*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1226338-We-Know
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Writing · #1226338
A conversation Terri and Jeremy have about work parents the way things turned out and why.
Maybe that's why you did it. Terri said. It looks like you left me so that you could try to make it in the desk jungle. The wilderness of school and the office.
But I couldn't. I didn't. I missed you. I said.
I know. She said.
Couldn't you see I went crazy? I asked her. Couldn't you tell when I was crazy?
This job will be good for you. She said. Labor jobs give you a sense of accomplishment. Forget about what your parents said. Listen to me.
You're working a nigger job. My mom had told me.
I don't have to listen to them anymore. I said. I don't live with my parents anymore. I don't live with Terri anymore either.
They just don't want me to waste my life. I said.
She didn't say anything.
I shouldn't defend them. I said. She takes their opinions as a direct affront on her. What I said was a direct affront on her.
They want me to do something where I use my brain instead of my body. I said.
Jeremy, you are smarter than most anyone I've ever met. But you didn't sound happy in school or at that other job. She said.
I know. I said.
She thinks my mom called her a nigger. I said.
If you are doing legitimate work, doing it well, and accomplishing something then you are doing something honorable. She said.
She always and really knows what to say to make me happy. I said.
You're right! I said.
I still feel miserable that I didn't get the type of job I told you I was going to get. I didn't do half of the stuff I wanted to do for you. I said.
I know. She said. It's ok.
I miss you. I said.
I miss you. She said.
I love you. I said.
I know. She said. I'm married.
I know. I said.
© Copyright 2007 BuckleyRoberts (brobber at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1226338-We-Know