*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1227810-HIVAIDS-Homophobia-and-The-Down-Low
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Editorial · Health · #1227810
HIV/AIDS, Homophobia and "The Down Low"
by Alexis Bacon

One major step towards HIV/AIDS prevention within a community, more specifically the African American community, is decreasing homophobia. Due to homophobia, many homosexual men feel that they have to take part in activities in, what is now a newly discussed issue coined, "The Down Low". Due to fear of ridicule and isolation, homosexual men are desperately trying to hide their sexual orientation by portraying the heterosexual image through marriage. By these men marrying heterosexual women they are maintaining their heterosexual image, however, denying their homosexual needs. In order to fulfill their homosexual desires they secretly take part in "Down Low" behaviors, putting themselves at risk of HIV/AIDS and their trusting, unknowing wife as well.
I suggest that one of the leading causes of HIV/AIDS amongst African American women, is due to "Down Low" behaviors committed by their partners or spouses. I would also suggest that the amount of African American men being involved in homosexual behaviors within the penitentiary prior to returning home is another major factor.
Detection, Awareness, Acceptance and Knowledge are all vital parts of the fight against AIDS.
© Copyright 2007 Alexis Bacon (avbacon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1227810-HIVAIDS-Homophobia-and-The-Down-Low