*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1229913-Kings-Cross-To-Edinburgh
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Travel · #1229913
Meeting a gentlemen on a train, her life takes an unexpected twist,
She stood alone on the platform. Although the clock hadn't long rung out midday, the sky was growing dark with the promise of rain. Suitcase in hand, she timidly approached a near by guard.
"Excuse me?" She asked, barely above a whisper. The guard didn't acknowledge her question. She blushed slightly. Stepping closer to the guard, she raised her voice and repeated her question.
"Excuse me?" The guard turned, and was startled to see the small voice belonged to a young woman with mousy brown hair. She was slightly shorter than was to be expected of a woman of her age.
"Could you tell me where I might find platform twelve, please?" She clung tightly to the small suitcase beside her.
"Certainly, over the bridge and it's on the far side of the platform."  He replied pointing to a set of stairs leading to a large, iron green bridge.
"Thank you." She smiled briefly in gratitude. The guard returned the smile and left the young woman standing alone on the platform once again.
"King's cross too Edinburgh will be arriving on time at eight thirty two at platform twelve." Came the woman's voice over the station's intercom. She hastily climbed the iron steps and crossed over to the other side, dodging other passengers who hurried past her.  As she stepped off the bridge on to Platform Eleven, a man ran into her, knocking her backwards.
"I'm sorry, are you alright?" He asked her.
"Oh yes. Yes, I'm fine." She replied blushing
"I am terribly sorry." A whistle echoed through the station, announcing the arrival of a train.
"I'm terribly sorry, but that's my train." He stuck out his hand in a gentleman's fashion. Nervously, she shook it. He smiled shyly at her and hurried away into the crowd. Slightly shaken, she continued on her way to her Platform, dragging her suitcase behind her on it's worn down wheels.
Avoiding collision, she boarded the train with her small suitcase and found a seat next to a window and slid her suitcase in next to her.  She watched as the passengers boarded the train. Many carrying briefcases and adorned in black suits.  She stared down at her own clothes. They seemed some what out of place. Staring out of the window she watched as people hurried along the platform.
© Copyright 2007 A.Sirfalas (a.sirfalas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1229913-Kings-Cross-To-Edinburgh