*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1230029-The-bar-angel-incomplete
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1230029
A regular visitor to the local bar finds herself down and out needing a helping hand.
  She walked into the bar slowly , not real sure she should bother today.  One more night to get royally drunk.  She knows her time is limited.  Time has run out.  What happened? Where did the time go? she asks herself. What will I do now? She says aloud as she takes a seat at the bar.

  Here she is thirty years old, not a thing left to show for all her hard work over the years. What happened to her dreams?  Where did all the years dissappear to?

  She orders a draft beer, the bar tender, Mr. B knows her pretty well these days. She chuckles when she realizes he was way ahead of her, her beer sat there in front of her already.

  She placed her dollar on the counter as she took the open seat.She looked around, "Hey Mr. B , where is everyone?"she asked.

  "It's still early! " he replies not even looking up.

  Not yet four o'clock, she digs for another quarter out of her pocket. Drinks don't go to a dollar until four. She tapped the bar with the quarter and reached for a cigarette. She checked each pocket looking for that dang lighter, Mr.B , always the gentleman reaches across the bar with his lighter.  Suddenly, a black and gold fancy lighter with a silver edged white angel engraved on it, pushed Mr.B's lighter away. This gets her attention away from the quarter she is staring at as she taps the counter.

  She looks up at Mr. B staring blankly, uncomprehending.  A smile slowly crosses his face as he pockets his lighter and turns walking to the other end of the bar leaving her to face the stranger holding the beautiful lighter. She watches as Mr. B leans over to say something to Slim, the bouncer, sitting at the other end of the bar.  Slim looks up smiles at her and goes back to the computer game he is playing.

  She looks back at the quarter she still holds in her hand. She hesitates, she knows she is being rude, she should turn to see who owns the lighter that has lit her cigarette. She is not here today to socialize. She just wants to fortify her mind for the long weekend ahead.

  A male voice right beside her says, "How come you haven't been around all week?"  She again hesitates biting her lower lip, obviously he is a regular but she doesn't recognize the voice.

  The door swings open, sunlight shining in just for a moment. The light from outside flashes across the bar and back again. So nice outside, she begins to wonder if she shouldn't have just stayed at the park. Sitting above the waterfall.  She had watched the cars, car after car drive by while she sat there listening to the peaceful music of the water falling over the edge.

  If the two bail bondsmen hadn't shown up she would probably still be sitting there.  The sun was shining on the rock she had been perched on.  She had sat there for hours with her mind going a hundred miles an hour.

  She had been praying for the nerve to just step over the edge and fall with the water to the rocks below.  How she just wanted to end it all. If those two hadn't shown up when they did she probably would have. She really didn't think they had believed her the night before when they had approached her the first time.

    She had been diligently working on the figures for the night when there had been a tap on the bullet proof glass. She looked up too see two men with guns strapped to their chests. The one standing closest was waving a picture, a large 8x10 of a womans face . The woman looked a whole lot like she had a few years back, a big black and blue bruise spread across her face. One eye swollen shut, her hair pulled back in a pony tail. She jolted to a standing position ready to take flight. Those old memories flying through her brain.

  She  had realized where she was, and everything was fine their was no way they could get through that glass or the steel door that stood between her and the hotel lobby."What can I do for you gentleman?" she asked trying to keep her fear under control.

  The man holding the photograph asked" Have you seen, or do you know this gal?"

  "I am sorry, I don't have a great memory it doesn't ring a bell!" she answered , hoping he would just leave.

  "Someone in the bar said she worked here!" the second man spoke up from behind the first.

  Her hands began to shake as the second man stepped into view. No way could that be him, not unless, well she supposed it was possable, but she hadn't really changed that much he would have recognized her. "Sorry sir, I don't think I know her!" she tried to imply she needed to get back to work by hitting the calculater equals button a couple times so it would make a bit of noise.

  Her tactics didn't work the first man, short and stalky, his hair pulled back slick with oil . Blond as it seemed to be it looked dark with all that hair gel in his hair. He laid his forarms on the counter. Gave her a flirtatious look, " Now the shocked look on your face when you first saw that picture tells me you do know her, any idea where I can find her." he winked a sparkling blue eye at her.

  "Well I shouldn't say but she did look familiar but its been years since I saw the gal I am thinking of. Is her name Diane by any chance?" she asked thinking about the gal she had been confused with more than once when she was a teen.

  "Possable, can't say for sure." the first guy commented.

He must have realized he wasn't getting anywhere. He stepped back and the second man stepped forward. His light green eyes looked at her intently. "We have been looking for her for sometime if you can help, you will be rewarded in time." he pointedly  looked at her , making her self concious about the cheap one piece dress she wore to work every other day. She just couldn't afford to buy more clothes right now. She was lucky to still have the two dresses she had deemed her funeral clothes after the third family funeral, that year so long ago.

  " Look it isn't me, your going to get me fired waving that picture around here. If that is the girl I think it is I have been confused with her before, even jailed for two days until I could prove who I was. Please , I have enough problems in life right now go away!" she turned back to her paperwork with a tear sliding down her face. She really didn't need this right now.

  They didn't leave , instead the second man, the dark haired one went out to a van parked in front of the entrance. The first, the blond man with the deep blue eyes continued to stand there watching her intently she could feel his eyes on her even as she tried to ignore the self concious feeling she had.

  "Hey, We aren't here to cause you trouble ,"Cass, is it?" obviously he finally decided to read the tag pinned at the top of her shoulder.

  "Yes, but your going to and not even know it, Please just leave!" she pleaded.
He continued to stand there.She checked in an older couple that came up to the counter needing a room. They looked at the man , eyed the gun, and headed to their room as fast as their older legs would take them.

  Looking over at the man still standing there staring intently, " Look if it is Diane Tribolti, you most likely will find her either living in Belton, the Gold Dust Apartments, or out hiding out at Blue River Park. I can't tell you if she even lives in this area anymore all I can say is where she use to live and hangout fifteen or so years ago."

"Thanks we will check it out, by the way Cass?" he waited for her to look up.

"You are prettier than she is would be hard to mistake the two of you!" he said, tipped his hat and walked out the entrance door.

  Cass sat and shook her head. Somehow she knew that conversation would lead to rough roads ahead. She could only wait and see what the new day had in store for her. It was almost four in the morning the end of her shift would be there soon. She had gone back to work making the deposit for the day.The job just bored her, she was lucky to stay awake while there.

  Nick came himself to relieve her at four in the morning. He hadn't been happy at all. He looked at her, " Cass , do you realize you rented a room that was already booked last night? I already took care of it, but you don't need to return, your fired!"

  " How can that be, I can't rent a room already booked the computer won't let me?" she had stomped into the back office collecting her book and notebook. "You and I both know that's not the reason your firing me, but I won't bother to argue, not over a lousy six dollars an hour. Audioce!" she slammed the steel door as she had left the office. Not even a total of three months. Now, she figured the x live in managed to get her fired, or the men with that picture. Then again maybe it was both!

  She had left work and immediatly gone to Blue River Park. How in the world was she going to make the dammed old car payment now? Damn him for doing this again!

  She had sat there on the rocks until those two bounty hunters ,as she discovered they were, showed up.  She had literally gone on a rage, "Why won't you leave me alone?" "He set you up to do this to drive me insane didn't he, didn't he?" She sat looking down at them as they stood just to the other side of the pool the waterfall made.

  The blueeyed man from the night before slowly approached the path coming up the hillside to where she sat, " Now we aren't out to hurt you, come on down from there, it can't be as bad as you think?"

  " Oh no, you got me fired this morning? You and questioning everyone at the bar and hotel! I am not stupid , now, did Rick put you up to this or is it just another of those famous coincidences in my life?" she yelled

  "Must be a coincidence, I will go talk to your boss for you!" the blueeyed man was slowly making his way across the creek to where she sat on the edge watching him closely.

  " It's ok mam!" The blond said from below trying to distract her.

"Bullshit, leave me be!" she stood up and quickly headed down the opposite path to the bottom where her car was parked. She pulled out spewing gravel all over their expensive looking cadillac. She didn't care, they were helping him to drive her crazy.

  She had gone back toward work, wanting badly to confront Nick over what she figured he really fired her over. Him being a foriegner it just wasn't worth it. He believed a woman should always wear dresses, and abide by her husbands every wish. It wasn't worth the argument. She hadn't worked there long enough to even fight it in unemployment. She went into the bar instead. Maybe a drink or two would calm her.

  Several of the regulars had now walked in.  She waves and says her hellos.  Steve , Rick, Mike and Donald all sit down at the bar.  Mr. B walks over and sets their Beers in front of them.  She realizes she still has not turned to her left to see who the stranger with the beautiful lighter is.  She knows he is watching her, can feel his eyes following her every move.

  She gets distracted as Steve starts talking to the unidentified stranger over her shoulder. The stranger picks his beer up and drains the last of it. She listens silently ,as Steve and him begin discussing the events of the night before.  Solemly looking into her drink, tapping the quarter up and down on the bar.  He got up and walked toward the restrooms.  Now she couldn't not look as he passed to the other end where the restrooms are.  She saw a tall, dark, handsome figure turn the corner. She hoped she hadn't made it obvious she was watching from the corner of her eye. Steve would no doubt tease her mercifully if he saw.

  Steve leaned toward her, he placed his hand on her shoulder.  "Whats up babe, how come your so quite, your never this quite?"

  She didn't answer, just picked her beer up swallowed the last of it and squashed the cigarette she was holding out in the ashtray. She stood up to leave , Steve grabs her arm, " You can't leave yet, talk to me. He been bothering you?" He nodded his head toward the bathrooms.

  "No' he just wanted to talk, I am not really in the mood to talk today." she replied as she just raised her green eyes to look Steve in the eyes.

  She was still pretty embarassed about her stupidity last week, which Steve had witnessed.  Steve immediatly sees in her face how scared and drawn she seems to be. He is worried and asks her to sit back down to talk to him.  She hesitates but is unwilling to be alone too. She perches on the edge of the seat once again ,not looking at anyone just staring at the counter.

  She pulls another cigarette from her case. The gentleman with the pretty lighter is suddenly leaning over from behind her to light the cigarette. Three lighters appeared instantly in front of her. Mr. B was leaning on the bar looking at her, she looked up at Mr. B questionally! 

  "Want another draw, sweetheart?"

  " Probably shouldn't, can't afford it. Think I'll save my dollar for tommorrow!" she replies sheepishly.  A beer is set before her on the counter.  She looks up again at Mr. B . Mr. B just gives her that slight grin of his, flips his had to the left signaling the gentleman to her left paid for it.

  Slowly she turns her head, looking over her left shoulder, as she did her tube top slipped down just a quarter of an inch, she reaches up firmly pulling it back into place as she turns sideways on the bar stool allowing one leg to fall from the step and hang loosly.  She first sees his hand resting on the bar in front of his beer.  Her eyes travel up from there after noticing there is no wedding band.  Her eyes travel slowly first to his perfect chest, even under the silk blue shirt he wore she could see the muscles tighten as he realizes she is finally looking at him. Slowly her eyes rake up to the hollow in his neck.  He has a dark golden tan.

  The thought crosses her mind, he must work outdoors or he works out and attends a tanning booth one.  No, those muscles look like the ones that only occur from hard work. Traveling on up , he has a nice thin chin, full lips, his tongue comes out just a little licking his lips nervously, leaving his lips moist.

  She had trouble moving her eyes on up his face.  It was hard breaking away from those full rich red lips.  She longed to reach out and trace them with her index finger.  As her eyes focused on his eyes she took in the deep dark blue, and saw ocean waves crashing into the dark black pupils. His eyes were mezmerizing.  She couldn't look away, all thought left her mind.  No words were exchanged , it seemed unneccesary.  His hair was coal black.  One little wave fell over his left eye.  She felt like reaching out and flipping that wave from his eyes , those tantalizing eyes. Her gaze fell back down to those full lips, she didnt know why she hadn't noticed before the full mustache above the upper lip, just made the red of his lips look even darker.

  Her mind was spinning out of control again. She knew she had to get away.  She shouldn't be here, she had enough problems right now.  She spun her bar stool the rest of the way around. She had finished her beer maybe it was her third she wasn't sure anymore she knew she had to go.

  She put her full weight, 120 pounds, on to her left ankle.  She realized what she had done too late.  Her whole body pitched sideways as she stood up.  She lost her hold on the bar.  Her right foot slid off the bottom of the stool.  She was going down .

  Suddenly everything near by was in movement. Steve jumped up, Donald grabbed for the beer mug in her hand, and the dark stranger had slid the bar stool out of his way.  She just saw shadows moving in all directions as she felt the floor coming at her.  She was suddenly staring into those deep ocean blue eyes and safely held in his strong arms.

  Silence filled the room, you could have heard a pin drop it was so quite for several seconds. Everyone started talking at once. She still stared into those dark eyes as he began to sway with her in his arms. She realized there was strains of music coming softly across the room.  Suddenly she realized it was her song, "Twenty six cents" Her eyes got moist, she was afraid she would start crying and make a fool of herself once again.

  She whispers, " Let me go please, I have to go, Please!" The dark haired stranger places her lightly on her feet making sure she is steady before releasing his hold on her. She hung her head low hoping no one would notice the tears that silently slid down her face. She pulled away and walked to the rest room the tears now streaming down her face. She was crying outright by the time she reached the restroom.

  She knew she should just go home, she could pick up a six pack on her way.  She should probably just buy a case or two to last her awhile The past kept coming back to slap her in the face over and over it seemed. The present wasn't good at all.  The future well, the only future she could see at this point was a prison.  One more week is all she has to come up with way too much money.

  A lost cause and she knew it, they were coming to reposses the car any day now. The medical bills have gone way too long,  Robbing Peter to pay Paul has only made the situation worse and now its all down to the wire.

  Mom is gone, she tells herself over and over, learn to live without her. Only she can help herself, but first she has to deal with the depression that has encased her.  What she wouldn't do to have one more conversation with her mother.  She stands and stares in the mirror at herself, only seeing her mother staring back at her.  Anger rises in her throat, she wants to scream and yell let loose the torrent of pain tearing her apart. Instead she wipes away her tears, puts on a false smile leans against the wall.  With her forehead on the cold brick wall she begins to pull herself back together.

  What a mess I have made of my life! That simple thought was all she could think over and over again. She knew she had to get out of here but she was afraid, she couldn't face the stranger or anybody for that matter.

  She felt a strong firm hand grasp her shoulder and felt him lean into her.  He whispered " You all right sweetheart?"  She knew that voice, she turned around to see Steve.Both hands on the wall one on each side of her face.  All she could do was shudder and sob.  Steve pulled her into his shoulder.  The sensation of having someone care enough to hug her caused her to start crying even harder. Steve just stood and held her, he knew her story. They had been friends for sometime now.  He had heard every detail.  He was present when the last family straw was burned right here in this very bar just the friday before last.

  She knew Steve still felt guilty over that.  It was Steve that had convinced her she was too drunk to drive that night.  Which was good, but the actions she took to get home rather than take his offered ride home, that had been her undoing.  She should've just let him take her home and to hell with the consequences.

  Here Steve held her tight again. This man cared, she wondered if he cared as much or showed he cared as much to his wife. Yeah, she'd heard all about his wife and their four kids.  She had even met his oldest son. Not a bad looker himself.  Too young though, only twenty one, and still immature as they come.  Steve on the other hand , sexy still in his own right, in his early forties . She had wondered more than once what was under those tight fitting jeans but would never think of interefering with a marriage she knew about.

  Steve raised an arm, she could only guess someone had come back to see what was going on.  She knew she had to stop crying.  She was thirsty.  She peered up at Steve, put a small smile on her face.  He looked at her worriedly and ran his hands up and down her arms.  "You alright now?" he asked.

"Yeah, thank you! Just a little emotional today, it hit all at once there.Now I am just embarraced!" she replied.

  Steve leaned back and laughed "Honey, we've all been there.  Everyone of us sitting here right now.  We've probably been lower than you are right now.  Come on let's go have another beer, Crazy Cass." " Hey, I like that !" He chuckled as he grabbed her by the waist and spun her around, kissed her on the forehead and led her back to the bar counter.

  She looked around, Mr. B had put another beer on the bar for her.  Slim was still holding up the other end of the bar.  Donald and the others had made their way to the pool tables. She kept looking around as she pulled another cigarette from her case.  Mr. B reached over and lit it before Steve could even react.  He just slipped his lighter back in his shirt pocket. " He left, said he had upset you enough." Mr. B stated matter of factly.

  She looked up at Mr. B, "Who was he? I don't remember seeing him before but he had obviously seen me before!"
  "Yeah you have, he was the one that stood up to your defense when your dad smacked you friday before last."
  "The one that was ready to take him on until I let him know it was your dad, not your husband." Steve put in.

    Her mouth opened but the words wouldn't come out.  She was so damn drunk that night she barely remembers what all happened.  She did end up with a black eye but she's pretty sure she gave that to herself falling on the picnic table.  Doesn't much matter now.  Dad no longer cared, the husband (well live in) he left her as soon as she didnt have her half of the rent.

  She had already put her belongings in storage the month before, his were the only things in the house. Her belongings were going to be up for auction next saturday.  She couldn't pay the storage fee.  The only thing she really cared about was her mothers cherry wood desk, she hated to lose it. It was all she had of her mothers.  Steve had said he'd be there and would buy what he could, she could buy it back from him later.  She had her clothes and camera anything irreplaceable in her car. Thank God Steve had cleaned a room in his basement for all of that so Ford wouldn't get all when they came and found the car eventually.  Hopefully after they auctioned her car off there would be a little returned to her and she could find a place to live for awhile.     

    Steve interupted her thoughts, " You better drink up babe you've got three more to go there."
"What?" she said.
"Well look in front of you!"
  There in front of the ashtray stood three plastic cups representing drinks already bought for her.  She stared at Steve, he just shrugged and went back to the conversation with Donald.

  She waved Mr. B over, "Ok who bought all these?" she asks as she seperates the plastic cups.
  " Can't say but I was informed to give ya whatever you want to drink and put it on his tab. If your still here later he'd like to get together, said if he missed you he would see you tommorrow." Mr. B winked as he walked down to where slim was still holding the bar down.

    She looked around, everyone was conversing with someone.  She stood up made sure she gained her balance and headed for the door.  She just needed to get out of there. She had made it out the first set of doors.  Suddenly she was pulled back into the bar, which threw her off balance again.  She fell into Steve as he pulled the door shut behind her.

  "You are not going anywhere!" he plopped her back down on her bar stool .

  " What the hell do you think your doing!" she stearnly stated to him. 

  " You are in no condition to be driving. I don't want you to be alone right now.  You're not going home until after your curfew , if you still have one that is!" Steve laughed as he sat back down.

  "You know I cant stay here, and how you expect to get my car home, without it at the house you know I will be looking at big trouble!" she laughed and picked up the double sassy shot Mr. B had sat on the bar in front of her.  Downed it in one swallow and stood up , walked over to Steve.  She wrapped an arm around his shoulders and whispered playfully in his ear, " Come dance with me you big hunk!"

  Steve only hesitated a minute.  He knew she must be drunk, she doesn't dance she had turned him down over and over for a dance. Steve held her close, knowing she trips over her own feet it will just embarrace her and then she will sit down again.  She loves country music but knows she can't keep a beat.

  Mr. B saw them dancing , understanding Steve would have to keep dancing closly to hold her up.  She danced with her head layed on Steve's chest, her eyes closed.  Mr. B knew she was in her fantasy world again.  So many thoughts went through her head.  So many fantasies she wished she could fulfill. Mr. B silently added quarters to the jukebox. Long as the music continued Steve could keep her here til Jon got back.

  Jon had told them his plan before Steve had gone back to the restroom to comfort and check on her.  Jon barely knew her, but he knew he loved her.  It had not taken but two nights of talking with her for him to know she was the one he could love for the rest of his life.  He was willing to rescue her from the fate she had sat her path on.

  All of the regulars knew where she was headed.  They had all been there at some point.  One whole evening had been spent discussing her around the bar.  She was the person who would go out of her way to help a stranger.  Many times she had helped those who sat around the bar all day.  More than once she had driven someone home that was too drunk to be driving. Even picking them up the next day and taking them back after their vehicle. She had bought drinks for many when they were down and out.  Even took care of Donalds mother when he was in the hospital and worried his mother couldn't care for herself.  She watched over everyone like a mother hen.  Many strangers passing through had mentioned the angel whom provided then only asked they pass it on when they could.

  Never had she dreamed in all these years , she would be the one needing the angels to help her.  If Steve, Mr. B, Donald, and Jon had their way she would be cared for somehow.

  Jon had gone to see about saving her car.  Once word was out that she was endanger of losing it a collection can behind the bar went up. They thought they had enough if the right person went to Ford credit they were hoping they could just pay the car off. She had said their was only three payments left. It Seemed a shame for anyone to lose a vehicle they had paid on for five years over three lousy payments.

  Steve had already made it clear she could move into his basement.  She was reluctant to take any help . Everyone figured it had to do with the no good, idiot she had been living with for way too long. Not to mention that dad ,that seemed to think she was still a little girl.

  Mr. B glanced nervously at the clock. The last song was winding down. He was getting worried Steve wouldn't be able to keep her here much longer. To close to the curfew time she would start looking at the clock and sitting on the edge of her seat.  Just after four she would get edgy. Like a colt ready to bolt at the first loud sound.  She had always been that way around four, always fearing he would come in and make a scene about her being at the bar.

  The first time Mr. B had met her husband was last week. He had come in only minutes after her. At that time she was staying with a friend of hers. The husband had thrown her out and moved a young blond in. He had brought that blond in here to show her off at the bar. Not once could he come to the bar with Cass, yet this little skinny blond just twenty one had gotten him to the bar several times in just a short while.

  That first time Mr. B had watched while Cass ran to him thinking he'd come to take her home. Throwing herself into his arms. She really had thought he had come for her. Only after he introdeced the blond did she turn and stalk out of the bar.  She walked out and threw a beer bottle through his windshield of his precious van.  Turned around and told the young men coming out.

  " Help yourself to his damn four thousand dollars worth of tools and make my night."  They all looked at her like she was stupid, as he came raging out of the bar.  Steve had just pulled up , saw what she had done and got her out of there.  She came back to find four flat tires on her car.  Steve had tires at his house to fit her car or she would have had to have the car towed off then.

  She continued to leave at the same time . Where she went noone knew.  Everyone of the regulars had attempted to follow her to find out.  No one could follow very long.  She was good at losing a tailer.  She had very good instincts and always seemed to manage to lose any vehicle that tried to follow her. If she got too drunk she would sleep in the parking lot. She would never accept a ride from anyone and seemed unwilling for anyone to know too much about where she was at or where she spent her nights.

  Mr. B had a good idea only because she had slipped one day when he was the only one at the bar.  She had started talking about her mother, as though she had just held a conversation with her.  Mr. B knew cancer had taken her mother a few years back . He had gotten confused but didn't question her. She realized what she had done and quickly changed the conversation.

  Now here she was in a hurry to leave the bar when the best thing that could happen to her should walk through that door any minute. Steve had run out of ways to distract her. Donald tried to get her to play pool, that hadn't worked.

  Mr. B poured her another shot, sat it on the bar while giving Steve a knowing look.  She would just have to get the news tommorrow, he figured.  She had downed her shot in one swallow again.  Suprising him by asking for another.  Mr B obliged immediatly.  Steve walked over and started the juke box up again.  Before he could get back over to her Donald asked her if he could have a dance. She obliged him with a shake of her head and handing him her hand.

  She knew she must be drunk or she wouldn't be on the dance floor.  The bar was beginning to fill up which told her it was getting after four thirty, probably close to five.  Mr. B had seemed sure the dark stranger would be back.  She really wanted to apologize for running from him.  Hopefully he'd talk to her still.  Time had slowed for her.  She didn't understand why she couldn't just leave.  Everytime she tried somebody took her arm and pulled her back on to the dance floor.  She gave up and made her way back to the bar.  Several more of the men were now trying to get their turn on the dance floor.  She was tired, she felt drugged.  Another night sleeping in the car in the parking lot.  What was she going to do when Ford finally located the car?

  Steve put his arm across her shoulders.  He pulled her close.  He could see she was wore out , ready to drop off to sleep.  He thought he should just take her to his house.  To hell with what everyone thought he didn't see anyone of these drunks offering her a roof over her head.  Steve didn't figure she had anything to eat all day.  She had been here since a little after noon.  Did she even have any money left?  She had closed her eyes and laid her head on his shoulder.

  Mr. B leaned over with a yellow napkin wiped a tear that had rolled down her cheek away.  She didn't even stir.  Mr. B looked at Steve and shook his head.  Nobody knew what had happened to Jon, still no word from him.

  Steve remembered at just that moment,Jon had left his cell number on a scrap piece paper on the bar for her. She had stuck it in her pocket when they had come back from the restroom .  Steve didn't want to wake her but knew that number was in her shirt pocket.  No way was he reaching there no matter how bad they needed that number.

Steve waved at Mr. B, when Mr B reached them Steve conveyed to him what he wanted to do. Mr B couldn't do it either.
  "Wait a minute!" exclaimed Mr B , "Kathy, wouldn't have a problem with it, and could even have the cover story of wanting the number herself if she wakes up!"
  Mr B went to grab Kathy quietly explaining what needed to be done.  Kathy shook her head and tisked , at Steve, " Hell you've been wanting in those jeans for weeks now but your scared you will touch her chest!" She laughed as she plucked the small folded square of paper from Cass's shirt pocket. Turned and walked away with it. Mr. B looked shocked, took off down the bar, "Whoa wait a minute where are you going with that?"

  " I risked her waking up and getting mad at me.  I atleast get to be the one to play the game and find out what Jon did with our money." Kathy said as she picked up the phone.

  Mr. B layed his hand on her arm, "Your thinking he took off with the money?"

  " You're damn right.  Did you ever see him donate into the can? Thats what I thought, neither did any of us!" She swept an arm out indicating the circle of long time patrons sitting there listening to every word.

  Mr. B stood stalk still as the implications of the statement hit him full force.  None of them knew Jon that well.  Actually he had only been around a few weeks now. He slapped his forhead as he slammed his other fist onto the bar.  Everyone jumped back.  Steve looked over at him as she stirred in her sleep on his shoulder.  Mr. B began to pace behind the bar.  Steve wanted to know what was up but Mr B wouldn't stop long enough to talk to him.  Kathy was on the phone.  A great deal of the regulars were circled around her. Mr. B had turned the volume down on the jukebox. Noone really cared,they were all trying to hear this one sided conversation.
  Kathy pretended to have picked his number up from one of her friends and would really like to meet him.  Unconcerned, Jon agreed to pick her up at highlanders in an hour.  Half the patrons in the bar had dissappeared in less than five minutes after Kathy hung up and explained what she had just arranged.

  Steve couldn't hear what was going on but Mr. B was making him nervous pacing back and forth like a lion trapped in a cage.  Steve noticed when Kathy hung up the crowd seemed to evaporate.  Where had Donald gone?  Steve had to go to the bathroom , he didnt want to wake Cass still sleeping on his shoulder.  He looked around for help.  Everyone he knew was gone.  The teens, or what he thought of as teens were still there they had even switched the music to more upbeat fast dancing music.

  Mr. B stopped pacing and was serving drinks again.  A small hard smile plastered on his face.  Steve waved him down.  "I need to get up, and I want to know what the hell is going on , where did everyone go?"

  "You and I are are missing the best part of this, hold on a second let me find someone to hold her up for a bit." Mr B stated.

  Mr. B walked down asking a young man at the end of the bar if he wanted drinks on the house until close. "What for man, what do you get out of it?" he jumped back scared he had done something wrong .

  " Calm down, see that gal asleep there, she has had a long day and it's just getting longer.  Steve, there he doesn't want her to wake up just yet but he needs to know whats happening!" Mr B tells him.

    " We just need you to let her lean on your shoulder while he takes a break.  Your drinks will be on the house the rest of the night for five minutes of your time!"

  The young man stuck his arm out to shake Mr. B hand , "Names Tom, I'd be happy to help. I would like to know the story myself.  I've heard bits and pieces sitting here tonight.  " Tom said.

  "Not a problem, just give Steve a break then I will fill you in. By the way no touch man, she's off limits got it! What ya drinking?" Mr. B states matter of factly.

  " Busch draw , and no problem here man.  I've had my fill of women lately.  Don't need no more problems to deal with right now." Tom tipped his hat and purposly strode to the left side of her and Steve. Taking the stool on the other side of her.  Introduced himself to Steve as Steve gently pushed her toward Tom.  Tom sat stone still as she sleepily tucked her head into his shoulder.  She cuddled up to his side and laid her right hand upside down on his right thigh.  Her touch felt like scalding hot water right there.  It took everything in Tom not to jerk away.  What  he really needed now was that cold beer.  Perfect timing, Mr. B sat the beer down on the bar.  Tom looked up as a grin spread across his face.  He picked the beer up, saluted Steve, then Mr. B .  He downed the beer in seconds.

  Mr. B chuckled as she cuddled deeper into Tom's big shoulder.  Her left arm draped across his shoulders.  He looked like someone about to explode. Mr. B set another beer down for him. Went down to hurry and fill Steve in.  A man is a man, this guy looked like he wouldn't mind enjoying taking advantage of her at the moment.

  Mr. B eyes never left the two figures at the other end of the bar the whole time he filled Steve in on what everyone was doing.  Steve stretched his legs and arms. "Damn , now I really want to go and get in on this but I think I will just take her to my house . Do you know where she parked? I'll have to drive her car, I walked down tonight! " Steve said hollowly

  "Where's your truck?" Mr B asked

  " The ex has it, seems to think it's hers. Oh well I wanted a new one anyway, now I have a reason to get one.  I got the house atleast! " Steve exclaimed as he walked back to the bathrooms.

  When he came back he thanked Tom again. Leaned down and picked her up. She wrapped her arms around his neck barely stirring.  Steve whispered as they walked out the doors.  "Where's your keys hon?" She gave Steve a half a  wake look "Where are we going?" She pulled the keys from her pocket and dropped them on the pavement.  Steve began to curse under his breath.  He knew he couldn't balance her and bend down to pick those keys up.  Maybe she had left the door unlocked!

  Suddenly Tom was there with the backdoor of her escort unlocked.  He went around to the other side to help Steve get her in to the back seat. Tom threw Steve the keys over the top of the car.  Steve caught em , " Thanks for the help. Hope to see you again soon!"

  " Hope so, take care her!" Tom nodded.

  "Mr. B told me whats up , hopefully this man still has the money.  I am going to join the party, I'v probably missed all the fun by now ."  Tom laughed as he got in his truck.

  Steve turned to look at her in the backseat.  Curled into a ball, she was so small and fragile looking.  Her face looked like china ready to break any minute.  A fresh tear showed in the corner of her eye, not yet ready to roll down her cheek.  Steve reached out and wiped it away.  he hated to see her cry.  Her mouth was made to laugh, her laugh was infectious and she was strong.  Lord, only knew how this young woman had survived this long in this cruel world.

  Steve turned back around, famelurized his self with the controls.  Atleast it was standard, he was use to standard transmission.  Steve drove slowly , he really wanted to go to Highlanders and see what was going on but he had been put in charge of making sure she made it through the night. He best just take her home and purt her into the extra bed.  He really wanted to put her in his bed but knew he shouldn't do that, not yet not until she was ready to move on.

  He pulled in his driveway put the emergency break on.  How was he going to get her to come into the house ?He wondered aloud.  He sat there turned to the backseat wondering what to do next.  There she was curled up in the backseat, she had pulled an old quilt around her. The thing looked like it had seen better days.  She seemed so at peace and filled with comfort, he hated to wake her. Should he just leave her? She would probably be safe but not safe enough for his comfort.  Obviously she was use to sleeping in the seat of the car. She seemed very prepared to do this. Her pillow, two quilts and a sleeping bag were all handy to the backseat.

  Suddenly it hit him, Where else would she have been sleeping these last few nights.  Did noone really care? By God, he had just assumed she was sleeping somewhere with a family member.  He thought the things in his house were just extras that she couldn't take with her to relatives.  It hit him now, all the times he'd tried to follow her. She never went the same direction. He'd thought she just knew the backroads, figured she was doubling back somewhere.

  She had been sleeping in her car.  The longer he sat there the more enraged he got.  How could her family let her get this desperate?  He got out, walked around and popped the trunk open.

  Sure enough, a change of clothes, another blanket, a small plastic container.  He opened the container.  Shampoo, hairbrush, toothbrush, medication: he lifted the dark bottle to read what was on it (Morphine). What the hell would she need that for? The car shook. She was getting restless. 

  He picked up the clothes, pillow, and container.  Unlocked his front door, placing all on the couch . He turned the porch light on , and went back to the car, " Come on honey, reach up and grab hold of my neck I'll do the rest." he coaxed her to grab as he reached in and lifted her around the knees.

  She mumbled something into his shoulder.  Then nodded back off to sleep.  He made his way carefully up the stairs. Opened the door to the spare room.  He just hadn't realized until now how much of her belongings were right there in that room.  He had managed to save most of her things from the storage unit. Her mothers desk, along with her collection of teddy bears and dolls.  The owner of the storage unit had bought the five large dolls from him for the remaining balance.  He figured she wouldn't mind loosing them to save the rest. 

    He laid her on the bed.  He hesitated wether to undress her or not.  He knew how uncomfortable she had to be in those tight jeans.  They had to be too small for her.  He tried to tell her she could get comfortable now.  She was completly asleep. Steve didnt have the heart to wake her.  He began to unbutton her loose fitting shirt.  He figured he could handle it.  She would have a bra on.  Oh but he didn't expect to see what he saw when that green shirt parted.  His mouth dropped in shock.  No bra, and those breasts were with pert little nipples staring at him.  He couldn't pull his eyes away from her chest.  He litterally thought he saw her staring back at him through those pert nipples.  He gasped for air, not realizing he had stopped breathing until he was fighting for air.

    Steve turned red and tried hard not to get a hard on.  Well things don't always go the way you plan, he thought.  He slowly pulled her left arm through the sleeve of the shiny green material.  He still could not get enough of looking at her chest.  She obviously hid her endowments well.  He had never thought of her as bodily attractive yet here thats all his mind could think.  He wanted to bend down and take her nipple between his teeth and tease it with his tongue and nurse her like a baby.
    He chastized himself for thinking that way.  Calmly reached over her and pulled her other arm from the shirt.  When he finally had the material tugged out from under her body, with the final tug her body fell onto her back.  Her right arm went above her head, her left arm seemed to be trapped under her.  Steve leaned over her to tug her arm out from under her.  He gazed down into her sleeping face and held for just a moment to long as he watched that single teardrop roll down her cheek and land with no sound on the sheet of the bed.

  Steve couldn't help himself as he pulled her jeans off by the hems.  He did it slowly seductively, so his minds eye had already formed a picture of what he would see.  She had spoke of broken bones and horrable scars.  He was afraid of what he would see.

  He inched her jeans off inch by inch.  Cringing every few seconds just knowing he would see cruel evidence of her hard life.  Only a couple of small scars were really apparant in the dark shadowed light.  On her lower left calf there was a small white hole in the skin, this made him wonder.  Several inches up was a white line running jaggedly up the side of her thigh.  On the right leg it was peppered in one area with dark scattered marks in the skin, and above the knee about three inches long a wide cut.  Above both ankles seemed fresh scars, what looked like a sharp wire cut went evenly across both her ankles. Steve lightly traced these lines as he noticed each one. Careful not to wake her as he was entranced with wonder over every imperfection to her perfect skin.  On the hallow of her stomach was a cross, upside down, the scar traveled from her deep naval to the top of the hair between her thighs.  Another three inches down right at the point  hair begins to cut across it bluntly stops. 

  He stood at her feet staring at this beautiful woman laying on his bed , in his home.  He could not help but wander. Why him?  What had he done to be torchered like this?  Set this angel in front of him in her weakest moment and expect him to be a gentleman and walk away from her? That's exactly what he intended to do.  Steve turned and walked to the bedroom door.  He had to turn around to see one last time.

  Steve would never know wether the vision he saw that night was real or not.  When Steve awoke from sleep he was sitting in the living room on his lounge chair. The dark green one his daughter had bought him, just before she was murdered.  He had landed sideways and had slept all morning with his feet still hanging over the arm of the chair.  In his left hand he held a large empty bottle of Jack Daniels.

  He propped himself up, looked around.  Stood up! Stretched his arms and ran to the spare bedroom.  Did he dream it? Was his very first thought! He opened the door slowly his right arm shaking with the effort it took him from charging through that door.  There layed his mothers quilts on the bed folded just as they always have been.  Her stuff still stacked in the corner.  Where was she? He did bring her home last night he was sure of that!

  It was seven thirty in the morning and either way he had to be at work in an hour.  He went to take  a shower.  He'd have to figure out what happened later.  Right now he has to keep this job.

  He spent his day half sleep walking wondering where she went, what she thought happened.  Wondering how she felt about those thoughts.  He swore to himself.  He should never have undressed her.  What was she thinking right now?
   

chapter 2


  The bar was a busy place that night. Mr. B wasn't attending the bar but he couldn't stay away either.  The drama that had started months ago had intensified dramatically. The whole scenario had become one big dramatic soap opera lately.  This writer she was one hot babe.  All she would ever tell him about her personal life was she was a writer, of fantasy.  Now what she meant by this he didn't know. Her life seemed to be one big fantasy.

  Mr. B walked into the bar.  Well, well Kathy is tending bar tonight.  The place should be rocking.  The younger crowd really semed to like Kathy.  Mr. B hadn't yet really made friends with anyone. He had just moved here from California.  Only moved here because his grandmother got sick. He moved in to help her out and had found a job almost immediatly.

  Where would the drama be, last he knew Steve had taken the writer back to his home in her car. John had taken the money and either ran or just didn't feel the need to come back and inform them of what all had transpired. 

  Then Kathy had gotten John's cell number and set a date up an hour later.  Half the patrons at the bar had gone to meet up at Highlanders to watch what happened from there.  Mr. B didn't get to join the fun.  He closed the bar up at one a.m. not knowing anymore than that.  It appears tonight, hes not sure but he wants to know more.

"Then he wakes up in the morning and she is gone.  Can you believe it!  She doesn't even know yet! " Kathy was exclaiming to Donald when Mr. B reached the bar stool next to Donald.

  " Doesn't know what? Who?"  Mr. B asked.

  At this point Slim puts in a quick overview to Mr. B and a couple others who had just walked in to bring them up to speed.

  " Seems last night, John took the money went to Ford Credit. They had already sent orders to Georgia to have the car repossessed.  Georgia had already sent orders  to Texas. Texas could not be reached . If John took a flight to Dallas he could be at headquarters and stop the last few steps in time , if he wanted.  John used his plane miles on his credit card, thinking fast.  He arranged to take a flight to Dallas . When Kathy had called him it was one in the morning.  He had thought the regulars were telling him to meet them at highlanders. He had heard the regular bar noises in the background not hearing all she said due to phone interuption . He just assumed. " Slim stopped to catch his breath before starting back up.

  "Then more confusion set in when he couldn't prove he was related to her so they didn't want to sign the car over.  He told them repeatedly to leave it in her name just give her the title. John had given them cash. They had thrown a big fuss.  Until finally John had thrown another two hundred in just to push them along.  They finally signed the car over to her.  Well on his way back the small plane had to land early on at an airport just south of here.  Instead of calling the bar, believing we had already closed John had hitchhiked back to town. Remembering  after several questions to total strangers. John eventually found Highlanders."

  Slim again stopped , to take a long drink and grab another breath. Kinda looking around in hopes someone else would pick the story up.  He wasn't really into explaining anymore.

  With a sigh he continued, " When he walked in and everyone was cussing and swearing his name he was confused. Then Kathy saw his bewildered look. Took him aside, explained the conclusion they had all come to."

  Jon hid a smile.  He reached in his back pocket and pulled the papers out. The crowd immediatly seemed to pick up on what Jon held above his head. Donald walked up, slapped him on the back.  " What took ya so long!"
 
Jon answered "Well we will just keep that story between me and the angels!"

  Jon  had just taken a seat put one foot on the foot rest under the bar, took a cigerette out and leaned against the bar turning to the crowd. His dark lighter with the silver hued angel appeared. Flickered its flame brightly. Then went out! Every set of eyes in the room had followed that lighter waiting for more. Slim stopped stammering.

  Kathy had told him more but he looked up as the bar door opened again. He nodded toward the door as Steve walked through. Stopping in the shadow searching the room. Steve approached the group. Slim spoke up, " Nice timing your turn!" Slim snickered as he walked off to go grab another from behind the bar.

  Steve figured that was his cue to inform them of where things had gone with the writer.  He really wished he knew where she had dissappeared to.

    Steve rambled on and on about how he and Mr. B, Donald, Tom, and others had done their very best to keep her occupied.  Finally she had fallen asleep.  How Kathy did her part.  Everyone mumbled get on with it, finally Donald spoke up, " Get on with it, Where is she?"

  " Well guys, I got up this morning.  Thinking she was safely tucked in my spare bedroom. Yes, I was a perfect gentleman." snickers passed all around the room. " This morning I woke up in my living room.  I went to check on her.  I actually thought I had dreamed last night until I talked to Kathy this morning."  Steve put his hand to his forehead and squeezed. "I need a drink!"

  "Alright already, what happened , where is she?" Mr. B exclaimed.  Everyone turned and looked at Mr. B, obviously he had fallen for her too.  All heads turned back toward Steve. " Well you see I don't know, I went to check on her and she was gone. The room looks the same as it always has. The cars gone and lord only knows where she is." Steve let out his breathe with that.  Plopped down on the bar stool nearest to where he stood and hollered in the general direction of Kathy " draft budlight , please "

  Another round of drinks was passed through the ranks.  Everyone knew what thoughts were going on but nobody wanted to say anything aloud.  Finally Jon walked over to talk to Mr. B. He knew she had spent a lot of time talking to Mr. B.
" Mr. B, I am tired of sitting here waiting we all know we haven't got much time. It may already be too late. Did you hear Steve told Kathy she has a full bottle of Morphine.  Kathy thinks its because of the head injuries, but I am still worried. "

  Jon spoke quietly.  " Yeah , me to, I wonder where her mom is buried?" Mr. B asked out of the blue, bringing the room to silence once again.

  Jon stared at him, " What brought that statement!"

  "A couple days ago she said some things that made me wonder. She kept talking like she had just spoke to her mother moments before speaking to me!"

  Steve raised his head shaking it slightly, "Her mom has been dead for almost five years." Steve shook his head and took a short drink of his draft. Jon joined him.  Mr. B leaned back on the bar stool and pondered the question.  Who would know the answer to that. He could swear that's where she would be talking to her mother.  If they could just find out which graveyard.  No one knew her that well?
Chapter 3:

  She sat in front of her mothers' headstone.  She had called Ford that morning before leaving Steve's house.  Funny, she still couldn't remember how she had gotten there?  Where did Steve find her at?  He couldn't have found her out here? Where did she drive last night?  She could've sworn she ran out of gas here at the graveyard the day before.  Now she had a full tank of gas.  Had slept in an actual bed last night.  What to do now?  She had told the tow truck driver her car would be at the address of the bills by two o clock.  Here it was noon, she only had two hours she had better get moving.

  She hoped today wasn't a day he would be home.  She would just wait for the tow truck.  Once she saw the car on its way she would walk to the truck stop.  Maybe she would get lucky and get a ride back to here.  Maybe she would be even luckier and the truck driver would end her life when they got back to the cemetary.  You never know maybe she could find one that would really lover her. Ha! She had had it with love, what did that word mean anyway?  Her father saying came to mind, "Blood is thicker than water, Where was blood now?"

  She left her pillow, blanket, her picture of her mother  (what a day that was!) and her little plastic box.  Left them in the little church sellar.  She got in the car and drove toward her last home.  Radio blairing, suddenly her song, "Twenty six cents" came on. She had to pull over, the pain, it hurt so bad to think of holding her mother as she took those last breaths.

  After a few minutes she caught her breath. Shook her head shaking the memmories away.  Wiped the tears away.  Turned her blinker on, and merged with traffic once again.  Thirty minutes, they would be there to take the last hope she had away.  Please , don't let him be home! , she prayed over and over.

  She pulled into the driveway.  Well atleast he is not home.  Just then the door opened, the pretty blond she had met at the bar came out.  "Well, well look who we have here.  Why are you back? He is happy leave him alone."  the blond stated as she walked up to her car door.

  " Don't worry, I will only be a few minutes then I'll be gone.  You, can have him.  Though it don't look like you will be around long either! We lived together for years but when I needed him he was never around.  Honey, get married don't let that fool do it again." she said sitting like a cherish cat. Where was she supposed to go?

  " You want to come in?" the blond asked.

  " Nope , there is my calling card now!" she replied as the silver truck pulled up to the mailbox.

  A tall gentleman got out and walked over, " This the one?"

  "Sure is, here's the key.  Take care of her!" She handed him the keys. She stood and watched this tall man as he hooked her precious car up to his truck to drive away with all her dreams.  She looked over at the white house to see the blond standing in the door a blank look on her face.  Obviously she didn't understand what was taking place.

  Cass slowly walked up the road that short gravel span before it hit pavement, getting out of sight of his home once again would be hard on her. How many times she had walked that stretch of road?  The silver truck slowed as it passed by her.  The driver rolled the window down, " Where are you going?" he asked.

  " Home where the buffalo roam!" she replied rather quickly with a cackling laugh that would haunt him for some time.

  He gave her a strange look as he rolled the window up.  She watched as her car bumped along behind his truck. She couldn't hold the tears back. She knew this day was coming.  She had thought she was prepared, she hadn't been.  She walked on.  It began to sprinkle, then the rain got harder.  She kept walking.  It seemed to take forever but she finally walked through the doors of the truckstop.  She was thouroughly soaked.  Her hair hung in her eyes , her jeans felt molded to her legs.  She knew her shirt was plastered to her, her chest more pronounced than ever with no bra under the yellow t shirt she wore. Damn the choice of clothing for this weather. Damn this weather for that matter.

  She sat  down in the diner and contemplated, what would she do now!  She fished for her lighter and cigarretes in the bag she carried.  They were soaked of course. Her money in her pocket wasn't enough to even buy anything to eat let alone cigarrettes and a lighter.

  She was staring at the floor, a wet cigarette between her dry lips. She vigently kept trying to get the soaked lighter to work. The cigarette was pulled gently from her lips. It registered in her mind a pair of cowboy boots beside her wet tennis shoes.

  She leaned her head backward as she pulled the cloud of wet dark hair from infront of her eyes. She looked up into blue eyes that stood before her looking down.
"Here sweetheart!" he said as he handed her a freshly lit, dry cigarette.

" Looks like you could do with a meal also, so order up and lets eat.  What do you recommend?"  The stranger sat down making himself comfortable across from her.

  "Well, what do you recommend ?" he asked again as he winked at her.

  She took a drag from the cigarette, and contemplated what to do now.  Here this gorgeous guy sat across from her and she had lost her tongue.  Was he offering her a meal?  What did he want in return?  Hey atleast it was food, and she could probably get a ride to the cemetary if he was headed that way.

  He tapped on the table with his fingers to get her attention.  She watched his finger, ta-tat, ta-tat, they were hypnotizing.  Long, slender, clean, no wedding band, that didn't mean nothing though.  Everyone knows those things are just appearance.

" Well, I don't recommend the buffet.  Depends on what you personally like.  The only thing I can really say is order something directly off the menu." she said holding a false smile she really didn't feel.

  " You order, I'll eat!" he closed the menu.

  " I don't have any idea what you like to eat. " she replied

" I am a meat and potatoes person just order enough for two and lets enjoy a good meal and good conversation." He got up with those words, " I'll be right back, order will you!"

  The waitress came by while he was gone.  She ordered the special ,meatloaf and potatoes for both of them.  Just after she ordered he reappeared and sat back down across from her.  " No , don't tell me, it'll be a suprise!"  He said holding his hand up.  She stopped, looked around, she began to figet.  He was staring and she could feel goosebumps beginning on her bare arms.  She shivered the air conditioning on her wet clothes was  too cold for her.

  He stood up, she looked up questionally, her tongue still wouldn't untangle when she looked at him.

" Be right back, yet again my lady!" he quipped as he strode away.
She watched him til he was out of sight. She sat aand stared at the table.  She looked up in time to see a white van pull in out front of the restaraunt area.  Hell she had to learn their were hundreds of white vans out there she needed to stop jumping every time she saw one.  The cowboy had walked back around the corner as she stood up and grabbed her bag.  "Where you off too? We haven't eaten yet?" he hollered as she approached him.

" I am sorry, I have to go, Got to get away from here!" she said as she walked on by.

  The cowboy threw some money down on the table. He exited out the same door she had.  He caught up to her. Grabbing hold of her arm, swinging her around to look at him.  She came around with her bag in her other hand.  Luckily he reacted faster than she swung.  He grabbed the bag as it swung around.

" Whoa! Tomcat, I ain't gonna hurt ya!  What you in such a hurry for?" The cowboy asked with hurt in his eyes.

" You don't understand! I got to get away from here, not you.  Where are you headed?"  She asked quickly, maybe she hadn't lost this chance.

" Well now I am headed to Joplin, right now to drop off this load, then they'll have another load ." he drawled out slowly.

" Well Joplin will do for now.  That's the direction I do need to go. " she said as she planned out how she could goody up to him long enough to make it to the right exit ramp.

  They got into his eighteen wheeler and headed out. When they left the parking lot she looked out long enough to see if anyone she knew had seen her leave with him.  No one seemed to be familiar enough that they would remember seeing her around on this specific day.

  He reached over and turned the radio on.  Country , atleast it would be a pleasant ride.  She sat back and silently the tears began.  She had just watched her heart torn from her chest and towed away.  Here she was with a stranger what would happen now?


Chapter 4:


    On the otherside of town.  Steve and John had left the bar where they would go, they had not figured out yet.  They figured they would start where she was well known.  They had both gotten from her that she had worked at the local truck stop at the cash registers for sometime. Before that had been with animals for years.  They figured they would start at the local truck stop.  Arriving they walked into the diner.  Figured they might as well have lunch atleast while they were here.
   
    John and Steve waited for the waitress to wait on them.  She was a teenager and in no hurry to do her job.  The waitress had just came out with two plates and made it half way across the room.  She turned on her heels and headed back to the kitchen.  A look of disgust on her face.  She passed by them and calmly stated, " Give me a minute be right with you, unless you want the special?"
    John looked at her quizically, "Whats wrong with the special?"
    "Nothing, meatloaf and potatoes, I just asked because these two are fresh out the kitchen.  Obviously the trucker and his gal couldn't wait!" she replied with a chuckle.
    Steve looked at John, Steve just nodded. The waitress set the plates down.  "We are kind of in a hurry, running out of time!"
    " Oh, yeah why such a hurry?" the waitress asked.
    John pulled a picture out of his pocket, "This is blurred but its all we have.  You happen to recognize her?"
    The waitress took the picture.  Looking closely at it.  An expression passed over her face of utter shock. " You cops or bountyhunters?" she asked.
    Steve laughed "neither we are just friends of hers, we want to find her before she harms herself is all.  If you have seen her or know of her where abouts , Please tell us!"

    " You two are running just a little late.  Those two plates your eating.  Well the little gal was here. Cass , I know her well!  I was a little shocked when she walked in soaking wet a while ago. Wondered about that!  Wouldn't say why she was walking either.  Not like her, she's a talker usually. " the waitress shrugged and went to take another order.  Leaving Steve and John to think on her words.

    The waitress came back around,"Everything to your liking boys?" she stopped a moment, "By the way wanted to tell ya ,I noticed Cass was with a gorgeous truck driver.I figured she didn't want any questions that might make him suspicious so I just took the order and left it be." shrugging her shoulders and moving on.

    Both John and Steve stood up, they started talking at the same time. John stopped, Steve finished. "Where did they go? Why was she walking?Where is her car? Did she say where she was going?"

    " Like I said, just took their order, came back out and they were gone,you were here instead.You might ask Jim, he may have over heard where they were headed." She flipped her hand toward the next table.  Jim turned toward them as he heard his name.

    "Yeah, they were headed to Joplin.  Cass seemed scared of something. Ran out of here and the cowboy followed. He has a load headed to the military base right now. You might catch up to them in the parking lot still if you hurry."Jim hollered out the last as Steve and John headed out the door.The heavy glass doors banged shut signalling their departure. Jim turned toward the waitress as she rushed back toward the counter.

    "Wonder what that was all about?" directing the question at the waitress Kim but she was in a hurry and didn't hear him. Jim just shrugged and went back to his newspaper. The curiosity would keep him wondering for hours to come. Cass had worked there under his supervision for around three months. Jim knew that no good for nothing live in of hers had gotten her fired a while back with all his bugging her while she was at work. Jim had done his best to head it off in the beginning but he couldn't keep the manager from being threatened. Eventually the manager just fired her under the pretense she didn't pass the drug test. She didn't have the money to fight it legally.Without the live ins support to begin with she didn't have a chance. All the employees knew she wasn't the type to do drugs, she had just been so stressed out those last two weeks. He was worried about her now. He had thought she was working at the hotel two towns north until yesterday. Kim had come back to work, informing him of why he never saw Cass anymore. Noone knew where she was living. The idiot she had lived with had thrown her out. Jim looked up thinking of something the two of them should know.

  When Steve and John stood holding their respective doors to the van open, Steve hollered over the van, "Whoa, John do you have a c.b.?"

John read his mind, "No but there is over twenty or so out here, let's find someone who does see if we can get hold of them that way!"

  Jim stepped out the door, like he'd heard what they were discussing he hollered out, "The handle your wanting is Cherokee!"

  John smiled as he approached him standing there on the sidewalk, handed him a twenty and said, "Any chance you have a c.b. we can use?"

  "Don't worry about that, that chain of contact was started soon as you boys started asking about her!" Jim stated matter of factly.

  John's eyebrows shot up in total suprise! "Don't look so suprised, Truckers look after their own. The second you handed Kim that picture she was overheard. I am sure Cherokee already knows you boys are looking for Cass. Question is Why? Depending on Cass wether she wants to be found or not, she is running for a reason I am sure!" Jim implied he wanted answers leaning on the wall not giving them any more information just yet.

  "Look we are trying to help her, she was in danger of losing her vehicle to repossesion, she no longer has to worry its paid for!" John exclaimed getting agitated with the hold up. They needed to get on the road and quick.

  Steve grunted loudly and turned the engine over, John looked over his shoulder as he headed to the van, "If they do get hold of Cherokee let him know we are friends but please don't tell her what is up, the bar patrons all involved want it to be a suprise."

  Jim laughed, "Hey, just be on the look out for a gold peterbuilt that says Cherokee real big down the side. We will see to it he is held up this side of Joplin if at all possible. Soon as the message gets to him he will simply have trouble with the load and pull to the side of the road. Don't worry it will be a coded message she won't understand. Truckers don't like the law or mad boyfriends after them you know!"

  Steve nodded and said, "Thanks again man, but really we are just friends worried about her, she could be trying to harm herself." he exclaimed as Steve hit the gas. They sped out of the parking lot leaving Jim shaking his head.

  Jim headed to the parking lot, he knew he could get White Dog to get on the mic and relay the information to Cherokee but it would all depend on what Cass had already told Cherokee wether he would pull over or not! One thing was guaranteed Cherokee sure wouldn't let that gal harm herself in his presence and no one else would touch her either. Jim knew Cherokee was about as gentelmanly as they get!

  John looked at Steve as he gunned it across the yellow lights on the bridge. "Hey man we won't do her any good if we are dead slow it down man!" he reached up clipping his seat belt in place. Steve chuckled, "Scare ya !"

  "Hell no man, just keep your mind on your driving will you." John replied.

  They rode in silence for the next 20 or so miles. How far was it going to be before the relay caught up with Cherokee? They both kept their eyes peeled keeping an eye out for that gold peterbuilt.

  Every now and then out of the blue one or the other would voice a thought or both would stare at lights ahead hoping they hadn't already passed them stopped some where on a side road.  If they had stopped for any reason off one of these exits, well it might be too late to catch her.They took a big chance they might loose track of her all together.

  John and Steve stopped for a bathroom break about ninety miles from where they had started. A green peterbuilt pulled into the rest area right behind them.  A short legged truck driver hopped down and walked toward the van as they got out. Steve noticed him first, "Hold up John, we might have trouble here!" He nodded toward the short stubby man headed their way.

  The short guy seemed to crawl up to Steve, shuffled his feet a bit,"You all the ones looking for Cherokee?"

  John and Steve each stared at the man blankly waiting to respond.
"That's ok, I don't think I would admit to just anyone myself.  She thinks her x husband has hunters out to kill her. Cherokee is not pulling over until the little lady tells him to.  That is what the relay has stated. Don't matter if your them or not they are not finding her if Cherokee can help it!" The short man stated this all the while tapping his right foot in the gravel.  John could tell this guy was just looking for a fight today.

  Steve backed up a bit, "Hey bud, we are not out to hurt anyone especially not the lady with Cherokee."  John came around the van to join Steve.

  "Why would she tell Cherokee those things if the message was supposed to be coded?" John asked this aloud to noone imparticular.  He turned around and went back to the van, got in and slammed the door.  Steve followed as if a communication had accured.

  The short man stood there tapping his toe, by the drivers door waiting to see what these two would do next. John leaned out the window looking at him intently.

  "Tell Cherokee we need him to stop, we can not prove who we are. We are her friends, we are only trying to help her and prevent her from harming herself. Tell Cherokee in her bag she carries morphine, we are afraid she will take this to harm herself. Please let him know we are only trying to help her." at that moment Steve grasped John's shoulder and shook to get his attention.  John turned toward Steve. Steve had plucked something from John's back pocket, he sat there waving it in John's face with a big smile on his face.

    Instantly John understood, grabbed the paper and showed it out the window to the stubby man still standing there. "Here this is proof we are trying hard to help her, not just the two of us but many many people whom care alot about this lady. We are trying to let her know she still owns her car. See the friends she has put a collection together we paid her car off. Yet she isn't driving it we wonder what happened. Please tell Cherokee this but we don't want her to know just yet. All of her friends were hoping to suprise her today! There is a celebration waiting for her back in her home town. Please help us!"

  Steve gulped, "I just hope she hasn't wrecked it somewhere!" he mumbled in the passenger seat.

  John got irritated by this comment. It made him hurt to even think that lovely lady Cass could be hurt and running instead of going to the hospital. He drove out the parking lot, leaving the short fellow eating the dust. He no longer cared if the man helped or not he was going to catch up to her one way or another.

  In no time it seemed that green diesel was on their tail again. He flew around them like they were sitting still. The driver blared his fog horn twice. Steve looked over seeing him holding the mic for his cb. The short dude waved and held up 4 fingers with the thumb hidden, then made a circle with his thumb and four finger.  Steve could only guess 40 something? He commented what he saw to John, "Is it possable he is telling us we are forty miles behind them?"

  "Hard telling, I wonder whats going through that chain now! God help us!" John stated shaking his head.

  " Aww shit!" John suddenly swerved over to the slow lane glancing back in the mirror. Steve grabbed the arm of the door handle, "What the hell!"

  "Damn damn damn! There is a state patrolman behind us now!" John said calmly.
  "Just keep your cool man, you were not speeding yet!" Steve said.
  "You might as well grab a nap , looks to be a long ride." John commented to Steve.
  "Is it possable that this Cherokee would have called statepatrol just to slow us down and keep us from catching up?" John questioned.

  "Hell anything is possable today it seems. I never expected it to be this hard to help Cass the way she is helping people all the time.  She makes it look so easy to be giving and caring. Why has it become such a chore to give to her is my question?" Steve replied while making himself comfortable in the passenger seat and pulling his cowboy hat down to shade his face. He was really just hiding the simple tear that was forming in his eye. He didn't know how long he could keep his emotions under wraps. He wasn't about to tell John about the night before. He knew John was falling in love with Cass. He had his chance with her long ago he blew it, he knew she would never see him as anymore than a friend. She would always hold a special place in his heart .  He figured it best to say as little as possable at this point.

  Steve turned toward John, "So which do you believe? Boyfriend kicked her out as we have all been told? x husband with dangerous friends trying to kill her? Guess she could just be calling him the x husband to make it easier to tell to Cherokee huh?" John didn't reply, it seemed Steve really didn't want a reply he was just talking aloud.

  "Hey watch your speed, we don't want to waste time with the state patrol back there!" Steve flatly stated.

  "Oops your right, just getting upset. I would like to know where her car is atleast it would make it easier if I knew she just stashed it somewhere and this is all just running in fear ya know!" John replied.

  Once again Steve  just didn't reply , he sunk lower in the seat trying hard to get comfortable. He realized he still had to use the restroom, they had forgotten their intent back there at the reststop. He didn't want to say anything though, wasn't willing to waste the time.

  "Why the hell is she with a truck driver though? She isn't that type , atleast not from what I know? Admittedly thats not much but I just don't see her with a truck driver." John was shaking his head wondering out loud again.

  Steve had known Cass alot longer, he knew she was the type that never knew a stranger so it didn't make him wonder. If the man hit her as safe on first impression and he had offered to help her in any way she would have jumped at the chance. Especially if she had been drinking already.  Cass really wasn't a good drinker, she had really never been much for alchol until recently. Actually until only a few weeks ago she had always just ordered a pepsi and sat there and watched in the bar. The first time she ordered a draft even Mr. B was shocked and had to ask her a second time unsure if he had heard correctly.

  From that time on Steve had only seen her have at the most two beers then she would stop. Well until last night that is. He figured that was only because she had lost total hope in surviving without her car. Damn, they should have gotten the money together sooner then all this wouldn't have been neccesary.

  "She is headed somewhere that's a definite. She is intentionally headed somewhere!" John said aloud, again seeming to want no reply.

  The state patrol man finally decided to pass John. Flying past him like he was sitting still. The patrolman flipped his blue lights on as he passed and hit his siren. John watched as he headed through the median , hit the other side and dissappeared over the hill they had just come down.

  John sped back up hittine the gas pedal all the way down. Old van just wouldn't get over ninty miles an hour. A vibration took over the whole van. John knew he had to slow back down or he would loose control. Steve seemed to have fallen asleep. Probably for the best John's thoughts had circled back to the conversation at the bar. It seemed Steve was the last of the bar patrons to see Cass. John of course had wondered how close Steve really was to Cass.  John shook his head trying hard to clear those thoughts.  All he wanted was the slight chance to prove to Cass he really did care.

  Cass with her dark wild hair, her hazel eyes that captured any mans heart. You just never knew what you would see when looking into those dark brooding eyes. She was his dream girl she really was. More than once John had thought she stepped right out of his dreams. He had such a hard time approaching her. His tongue got tied every time he had tried. Many a day in the last couple months he had spent hours just watching her from across the room as she sat at the bar unaware he wanted just one chance at that beautiful vision sitting there charming every man that walked into the place.  Oh, the women were jealous it was obvious to see. He had even had a couple women tell him horror stories about her in attempts to turn his head away from her.  Eventually they would give up and walk away. Every other woman in the place knew where his heart and attention was yet she still seemed unaware of him.

  Steve awoke a while later. It had begun to get dark out the sun was setting off in the distance. The blues , pinks and oranges in the sky made the country side look unreal like a painting from an artists brush.

  Steve asked, "Anything yet!"

  " No man and beginning to wonder sign back there said Joplin 126 miles!" John replied.

  "Where abouts are we anyway?" Steve questioned looking around.

  " Coming up on an exit here shortly, said Hume on the sign back there!" John replied.

  "Ok we need to take a break my leg is asleep, besides we never did hit the restroom back there and my bladder is full , don't know about you but I think we need to stop." Steve said.

  "Yeah I was thinking you better take over driving too, my eyes are getting a bit blurred." John replied.

  John headed up the ramp slowing down. He saw to the right was two different gas stations so he figured he would head over there. There was a restaraunt to the side of the first station. Figuring they might as well grab a bite he chose to pull into that one the Shell station. The parking lots joined each other so their was pleanty of open parking spaces.

  "Well all be damned, today is our lucky day afterall my friend! Look over there!" John stated as he pointed toward the far side of the parking lot. There backed up against the restaraunt sat the gold peterbuilt they had been looking for. Cherokee written in big bold blue letters down the side of the door.

  "The lady or him one must have finally gotten hungry!" Steve laughed as John pulled the van up beside the truck.

  They both jumped out of the van and ran for the restaraunt doors the second the van had been put into park. They thought for sure they had finally caught up to Cass now they could convince her to go back to the bar to get her suprise.

  Soon as they were in the door they both came to a sudden halt looking around inspecting each face. All eyes seemed to be on them. Both hesitated, Steve pointed to the first open booth. Passing a look to John they both casually walked over and sat down at the booth. Every eye in the room seemed to follow them until they sat down. Steve reached up taking his cowboy hat off his head setting it beside him on the bench, "Ok does it seem to you we are being watche?" he asked Jon.

  Jon was staring out the window toward the van where they had just came from, the waitress had just stepped over plopping two menus down on the table, "What can I get you boys?"

  Steve started to ask her about the semi out front hoping she could help, he didnt have a chance to even form the question in his mind. Jon kicked his leg as he tried to stand in a hurry. He pointed toward the window. Steve glanced out the window, seeing what Jon saw he grabbed his hat, "Excuse us mam!" He was standing and right behind Jon as he hit the door full force, swinging it wide open letting the wind blow through the room.

  Cass slipped out of the bathroom where she had been hiding. The waitress not really knowing what was up, yet knowing that look of fear. Waved her into the kitchen and out the back door. "Good luck honey!" was all she had said.  Having seen the young girl slip out of the booth leaving the Cowboy sitting there staring as she ran to the bathroom. The waitress had laughed to herself when the cowboy had seemed to realize the young girl was hiding and from what, he picked up his hat and had walked out the other side of the room. He had sauntered across the parking lot and back to his truck like he hadn't even been there just as these two had walked in the other side. She had hoped to distract these two but obviously they were intent on talking to that cowboy. She didn't know wether to call the police or not. She figured she would watch and see what happened?

  The waitress watched out the back door as the young gal headed down into the ditch behind the place. As soon as she was out of site the waitress turned her attention to the other side of the parking lot. She had to go around the corner of the building. To not look to obvious she pulled a cigeratte from her pocket and lit it. Leaned against the building. Listening intently, she was curious as to what was up that this younger gal was hiding. The wind had picked up and was making it hard to keep her eyes open with the dust blowing right at her.

  Cass ran down the ditch line not looking back. She so hoped she had not brought trouble to Cherokee he had been so nice to her.  She hoped the trees in the field on the other side of the ditch would give her cover. She scrambled her way up the muddy embankment her mind abuzz. She had seen it was the dark stranger from the bar and Steve. She wondered why they were following her, she didn't want their damn pity. That was the one thing she didn't need right now.

  It didn't matter if Cherokee told them where he had let her out, they would never find her out here. She knew she could stay off the road, it was a straight shot through woods and fields to where she was going from here.

  She had her plan and this one wasn't going to be stopped by anyone. So many times her plans had been ruined by one stupid thing after another keeping her locked in her dismal world until it was too late.

  Cherokee had said he would be back this way in a week.  If she wanted to go farther south or back north either way he would stop in all she had to do was leave a message at the restaraunt for him he would specifically ask for it. He had not wanted anything in return for his help, he only wanted company. She had offered herself to him out of guilt of not being able to pay him for his time or gas. It was all she had left to offer to anyone. He had been so kind about turning her down even, he understood her feeling of guilt but he wouldn't be the one to take advantage of a woman running from confusion and sorrow as she was. He had made it very clear he was not that kind. He slipped his phone number in her bag telling her you keep that and call if you need to, I will come back!  She hadn't told him everything, but enough to let him understand she was hurting real bad. He had picked up on her fear almost immediatly, every time it looked like it was possable a vehicle was following them she had sunk low in the seat trying to hide.  Cherokee had done his best to assure her noone would hurt her as long as he was near.

  When the messages had started on the c.b. he had thought she didn't understand the coded messages, until the third message from Stubby stalk. She had spoke up then and simply said "Tell him to tell them to forget it and leave me alone. He has his blond bimbo and I am gone!"
  That was when she had to explain to Cherokee all about the x and her fear he was so worried she would want his money she just knew he was trying to have her killed.Not that she really cared anymore, it would probably be eaiser to just let them do it for her. She had her plan though and was sticking to it. She didn't want Cherokee or anyone else involved anymore than they already were.

    The waitress watched as the tall cowboy hefted himself up and into the drivers seat of his diesel. She figured he knew the other man was running toward him, yet he acted as though nothing was any different than any other day.

    Cherokee hadn't yet turned the engine over when he was literally pulled from his seat out of the diesel door. He came down swinging but John was quicker. John had him pinned to the ground in seconds. His hat left his head and started across the parking lot in the wind. This distracted the waitress from the conversation as she leaned down to grab the hat before the wind blew it out of site. She missed the first of the argument. When she stood back up focusing on the three men by the truck she found herself staring at the cowboy as he stood up and brushed his jeans off. The two that had pulled him from his truck sat on their butts in the gravel staring at each other. The waitress thoughtGood for him, young gal should have stayed with that looker, he would have kept her safe. She walked over and handed the man his hat."Do I need to call the cops?"

    "Nope, think they are done!" He used his cowboy hat to smack the front of his legs a couple times. The rock dust bellowed out and settled down again. He reached up grabbing the door of his truck, hefted himself back into his seat, started the engine up!

  The waitress gave a polite little wave to the man and stepped back from the truck. She watched silently as he pulled straight forward and out of the parking lot not even looking back. She figured him to be looking around wondering where the dark haired gal took off too! It was none of her business and her break was probably over. She looked at the two sitting in the gravel. "Well when you get your equilebrium back come on back in and we will fix you two up with something to eat!" she grinned as she headed back to the door she had came out of.

  Steve and John eventually brushed themselves off. Feeling like fools they decided to go back in and eat. They didn't know if Cherokee still had Cass with him or not. They figured not for she would have appeared during all that ruckuss. They sat back down in the booth they'd been in, both now just a little worse for the wear. John asked the waitress for a cloth napkin and some ice. He could feel a knot forming above his right eye. Dang cowboy packed a hell of a punch. He got a lucky shot in. John had expected he would atleast get to ask a question or two before the fight started. He was wrong Cherokee had come down punching. Damn, Steve looked like he had taken a few good hits too. John couldn't help but chuckle as he sat there staring at Steve while they waited for the waitress to return. They both felt the stares of other patrons as they sat there.

  Steve looked up as the waitress approached with a ice packed cloth in both hands. Handing one to Steve and one to John she said, " You know you two would do well to leave the truck drivers alone. They know how to protect themselves, its learned habit over time!"

  Steve laughed as he took the offered ice pack and applied it to the knot forming just under his hairline on his forehead. "We just want to know where he let the young gal out he picked up a few hundred miles back?"

  "Why?" she bluntly asked.

  "We are friends of hers, we are trying to let her know her car is still hers!" Steve replied as John tossed the car paperwork on to the table in front of the waitress.

  "We are not out to hurt her. We are trying to help her. We know she is running from something. It is not us, we went through alot of trouble to make sure she atleast had her own vehicle to do this running in. Then we find out she isn't in her car but on foot. It's a mess! We do know she was last seen with that truck driver. He better not have hurt her!" John was turning beet red with frustration as he managed to get the last few words out of gritted teeth.

  The waitress stood persuing the paperwork he had thrown on the table. Most she didn't understand but she fully understood the last name on that paperwork. Now she understood why the gal had gone the direction she had gone too. That last name was well known in this area. Now she had to decide who to trust. She walked off to think before she said anymore. She returned after a few minutes with two glasses of water and the menus. "I'll give you boys a few minutes and return!"

  The waitress thought the best bet at this point was to call the one person she knew would know what was up with that girl. She picked up her phone book in back, the cook hollered something from the kitchen, "Just a damn minute!" she yelled back as she flipped through to that last name. Jotted the number down on the back of her pad and headed back to the kitchen.

  "Orders up!" the cook hollered again! "Damn it Jeanine will ya pay attention and get these orders out there before they get cold!"

  "Jesus, Jeff, you know I do a fine job now stop your belly aching!" Jeanine hollered as she retrieved the tray taking two orders out to where the patrons sat.

  Steve waved the waitress over, "Two steak and fries, coke with both please!"

  Jeanine wrote it out and put the order up on the cooks turn table. Then stepped back into the alcove off the bathrooms. She was going to make a quick call, she might should call the police. Then again she might just be able to offer these two a bit of help.First, she was calling the mines, if anyone would know what was up in that family of Hasst it would be Jack down at the mines.

  Jack would be the one to answer, " Hey, Jack its Jeanine at the Kettle, hate to bother you but want to check something out before I get involved."

  "Sure Jeanine what's up?" Jack replied

  "Well from what I am getting a Cass Hasst is having some man trouble, and some financial trouble. First does the name ring a bell?" she figured she better make sure she had the basics before involving someone else.

  "Yes, thats my brothers daughter. Is she ok? Where is she, I will call him or come get her myself?" Jack went on full alert. He knew Cass had been having problems for a few years now. Her last one really scared his brother. Jay had spent the next day out at his place not knowing how he could help Cass. He thought for sure she would never speak to him again. Jack pretty much agreed, if he knew Cass at all it would be a long long time before she would forgive her father for smacking her just because she had gotten drunk. Jack had told Jay he had royally messed up there. Cass was an adult now. He should have been grateful she called rather than driving drunk. His brother was dealing with alot of guilt himself ,lately . Jack could only be there for him as he unloaded all his concerns for the one daughter he had thought was dealing with her mothers death the best.

  Jeanine went on to explain what little she knew. Jack had said to hold these two up as long as she could. He wanted to talk to them. He was on his way, wouldn't be but twenty minutes at the most. Jeanine had her work cut out for her. Their orders were on the counter as she rounded the bend. Jeff hollered almost directly in her ear, not seeing her til it was too late, "Jeanine, orders up!" He grinned sheepishly, "Sorry, didn't see you there!" He smacked her playfully with the dishtowel he held as she picked the tray up , heading out to where the two still sat at the table holding their respective ice packs to their foreheads.

  "Ouch!" She hollered back with just a slight tone of annoyance.

  "Here you go boys!" she said as she set their plates down and collected the now filling ashtray. She put a fresh ashtray and pack of matches on the table. Noticing that that corner had become pretty thin on customers!

  "Got news for you two! Don't go running off ya hear! I made a phone call, the man I called can help you find who your looking for he will be here shortly!"Jeanine stated as she started to walk off.

  "Whoa, we don't need no trouble!" Steve reached out touching her arm.

  "It won't be if you are who you say you are, and doing as you say you won't mind her uncle helping you!" with that she walked away to leave them to think.

  "Huh, her uncle? What the hell, does everyone know everyone out here or what?" Steve exclaimed to noone imparticuler. John just stared at him and went back to eating his food. Methodically cutting the meat and chewing. His only thought, Lord, I hope it isn't too late!

Chapter 5:



  Cass had hit the creek behind the cemetary. She waded through. The water was up these days. Her jeans were soaked up to the knees by the time she made her way to the little church. She collected her things in the large duffle bag and headed across the land. Stopping only once to pick a large Red Rose from the bush that sat in front of her great grandmothers grave stone. She ran her fingers across the inscription. Only a faint memory remained of her great grandfather, she had neer met the great grandmother. She remembered her great grandfather only because he had died not two days after she met him for the first time during her seventh summer. The reunion had been large that year. Hundreds of people but her great grandfather, Leo had been so very kind to her.

  She was shy and would hang on her mothers skirt no matter where they were. Mom had been rushed off to the grocery story, with several other women. Dad was out playing horseshoes with the other men. Cass had sat down with her coloring book in a far corner behind the coat rack. She had been crying, scared and alone. None of the other cousins even came looking for her. Soon a very elderly man , almost as tall as her daddy stood watching her. He leaned on his carved wooden cane just watching and waiting for her to look up. She kept coloring even though she knew he was there. She was coloring a scene in her wildlife coloring book she loved. This one held a big grizzly bear and a large pine tree.

  She didn't know why that memory stuck so in her mind, so many other memories had dissappeared over the years, yet the picture of her great grandfather leaning over  his cane to see her coloring stuck in her mind. Maybe it was the kind way he had held that picture asking her to sign it after she had quietly handed it to him as she folded her book and stuck her crayons in her bag. He was so happy over that picture. He shared it with everyone that day, even her daddy when he came in. They had talked very little yet she had felt so right with him that day.

  Then the funeral, just two days later. Her daddy had warned her they would open the casket. She thought she was far enough away she wouldn't see. Her daddy had to take her to the car after that. She cried so much she  got sick right there. She really hadn't understood what was meant when she was told her great granddad was being buried that day.

  She moved on to the stone of her grandmother and grandfather. She only remembered her grandfather in his coveralls taking her to milk the cows. She saw her first calf born holding his hand. Her grandmother, what a special woman she was. She regretted not getting to spend more time with her. Just as she was beginning to spend time alone and getting to know her, she had passed away.

  That was another of those timing things that really disturbed her. The morning of her death was the same morning Cass and the x had taken his grandmother to Kansas for her birthday gift. They had thought about taking his grandmother to meet hers that morning for the first time. They talked about it but figured grandma was too exited and wanted to get to Kansas, then on the way back she had already been asleep in the backseat by the time they got that far. They figured their would be another time.

  Not ten minutes after getting home that evening she had recieved a call from a cousin. Grandma had passed that morning at seven . Just one hour after they had gone through discussing going over to see her. How it broke Cass heart that day. She had just begun to talk of things with her. Grandma was trying to help her understand her fathers avoidance of her since her mothers death. Now she felt she would never understand her father. It no longer mattered anyway!

  She took the few steps to her mothers grave. The stone cold and black laid before her. She had completed the rock garden she had promised her mother. Each trip south she had brought atleast one large beautiful rock from the bottom of Black River back to her mothers grave, just as she promised she would. It had taken a few years but now she felt all of her promises to her mother were fulfilled.

  All but one! The one she knew now she would never be able to fulfill. She couldn't forget her and her pain. She just couldn't move on no matter how she tried. She just wanted to be with her mother. Now she stood before her grave and knew today was the day.

  She pulled the Indian blanket from her duffel bag. Spread it before the stone. Dug out her medical kit, opened the zipper. She gently picked the brown bottle up, inspected the label once again. The morphine she had given her mother one dropper at a time. Three times a day, for over two weeks. Til that day,her mother moaned "No more! No more!" Those words rang in her ears over and over.

  She slowly ran her hand over the engraving of her mothers stone. The dates were inevitably etched in her mind she didn't need to read them. Tommorrow would be her mothers birthday ,she suddenly realized. How appropriate it would be.
Her mother had passed one day before her 26th birthday. Now she would pass one day before what would have been her mothers' 56th birthday!

  She laughed hysterically as she realized this. If anyone had seen her at that moment they would have known she had finally lost it. Like a little girl preparing for nap time she dressed in the dark green dress she had bought so many years ago , it was supposed to be her wedding dress. She never got her wedding, she might as well hope to be buried in it. The sun shown down harshly upon her little plot as she prepared herself for her death. She laid down on the blanket opened the bottle,and drank til she felt the last drops slide down her tongue. The tingle she felt as her mouth lost all feeling told her it was over she could sleep now. She closed her eyes!


Chapter 6:

  When Jack had hung up the phone, he had grabbed his jacket and headed out the door. Thinking second thoughts he turned around and picked the phone back up. Jay should know his daughter was having troubles again wether he came or not would be up to him.

  Jack just got the answering machine. He left a quick message to call him when he came in. Gave his cell number knowing he would probably be out trying to find Cass. Jack had then ran to his car and headed to the restraunt.
 


 


 




 
 
   





 
© Copyright 2007 Cemetarykat says,Bring it on! (cemetarykat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1230029-The-bar-angel-incomplete