*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1230114-Mind-Over-MatterChapter-Four-pt2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1230114
This was so much fun to write! :-D
(chapter four contin...)
         “Don’t drink anything,” he warned.
         “I’ve got you covered,” Callie laughed.
         She pulled two small bottles of water from her jack pockets and tossed one to William.
         “Smart thinking,” William chuckled.
         “I have my moments.”
         William watched Callie walk off until he was suddenly surrounded by several boys.  They started bombarding him with different statements and questions.
         “Dude!  You brought Callie Rivers to the party!”
         “Um, yeah,” William nodded, confused.
         “How did you get her here?”
         “I, asked her.”
         “Did you have to fight Alexander to bring her?”
         “No, why would I have?”
         “Dude, he doesn’t let any guy take his girl anywhere.”
         “Callie is a free person and she can do what she wants.  Alexander can’t stop her.”
         “Man you obviously haven’t been around here very long.”
         “I guess not.”
         Three girls pushed their way through the crowd of boys until they reached William.  The boys looked at them with interest and dispersed but stayed around close enough to listen in.  William looked at the girls and frowned.  He could tell exactly what these girls were at the party for as he took in the tight, revealing clothing and pretty features enhanced with make up.  William looked for an escape but he was boxed in by boys that wanted to see what was going on.
         “Hey William,” one of the girls said, sweetly.
         “Hello,” William returned, stiffly.
         “Enjoying the party,” another girl asked.
         “I don’t know, I just got here.”
         “Did you come with anyone or did you come alone?” the last girl asked hopefully.
         “Actually I—,”
         “He came with me.”                                        
         Callie walked up to the group.  She had been watching what had been going on from the refreshment table and angrily set down her water bottle and excused herself to join William.  Carefully, she slipped her arm through his and grabbed his hand with both of hers.  William looked at her startled and she winked so that only he could see.  William relaxed slightly.
         “Rivers?  What are you doing here?” the first girl said, dropping her sweet manner.
         “I just told you Parker.  William came with me,” Callie said with a smile.
         “What happened to Alexander?” the second girl asked.
         “He’s around,” Callie shrugged.
         “Here?” the girl asked, hopefully.
         Callie snorted.
         “You wish.  And trust me, you could have him if he could be let go of.”
         The girls looked at each other confused.
         “Well then you obviously don’t need an escort or a dance partner tonight,” the first girl said, smugly.
         “I don’t dance,” William said quickly, watching a possible argument brewing.
         “Oh I’m sure you are just fine,” the third girl said alluring.
         William looked at her, slightly disgusted.
         “He asked me to go.  Therefore, he is my escort,” Callie replied, trying to keep her annoyance to a minimum and stay polite.
         “You must have not told him you had a boyfriend.  Shame on you Callie.  How low could you go for a good time?” the first girl said, pretending to look disapproving.
         Callie’s politeness dropped as her temper edged the line.
         “Listen you little vixen,” she growled, “I know for a fact you have had three boyfriends at one time, so don’t you tell me how low could I go for a good time.  And you three can keep your filthy little slut paws off of William.  He’s a good kid and he doesn’t need to be corrupted by your crap.  So I suggest you step off and find boys like you before I take that punch bowl and dye your shirt an new color.”
         Two of the girls gasped and looked at the girl Callie had called Parker.  The girl narrowed her eyes angrily as she leaned towards Callie.
         “I’d like to see you try it Rivers,” she hissed, “You’ve never done something that daring in your life.”
         “Don’t tempt me Parker.”
         “You’d never do it.  You play by the rules too much.”
         Callie’s face darkened furiously.
         “That’s enough!”
         The girls all looked at William.  His hand that was being held by Callie’s had balled into a fist and his face looked furious.
         “That’s enough,” he repeated, trying to stay calm, “Thank you for the invitation but I suggest you stay away from us tonight.  I did ask Callie to come to the party, not that it’s any of your business.  And I do know she is with Alexander.  Friends can go to parties as well.  Have a nice evening.”
         William spun on his heel and pulled a shocked Callie with him.  The three girls looked after them shocked before stomping off defeated into the next room.  William didn’t stop until he was near the refreshment table where he quickly drank his bottle of water and tossed it in the trash can.
         “Thanks,” Callie said, finally relaxing.
         “For what?” he asked, still heated.
         “For stepping in and just walking away.  I was really on the verge of breaking that little—well, her nose.”
         “Would you have really done it?”
         Callie glared at him for a moment before dropping her eyes.
         “No, I suppose not.  I thought about it though.  The punch bowl was just a nicer thing to threaten.  She’s got four other shirts just like that one at home I’m sure.”
         William laughed, amused.
         “Hey you two!”
         William and Callie turned to see Tommy walking towards them.
         “Hey Tommy,” the two chorused.
         “How’s the party going for you two?”he asked.
         Callie opened her mouth to reply but quickly closed it and looked at William, hoping that he would have a tactful yet truthful thing to say.  William glanced at her for a split second.
         “It is definitely not dull,” he said with a grin.
         “Good!  That’s what I wanted to hear!” Tommy laughed.
         Callie sniffed the air and wrinkled her nose as Tommy was crowded by two girls and shoved to the dance floor.
         “Alcohol,” she muttered.
         “Yeah I smelled it too,” William nodded, “It’s time to go.  Let me just go to the bathroom and wash my hands.  I just put my hand on the table and touched something sticky.  I really don’t want to know what it was.”
         Callie laughed and nodded.  William made his way further into the house and down a hall.  He saw a lot of closed doors and he was wondering which one might be the bathroom.  He finally decided on the last door on the right and opened it.  It was the bathroom, but it wasn’t empty.  William turned red as he walked in on a boy and a girl talking.  She was laughing flirtatiously as the boy was pouring on his charm.  The couple looked at William as he stopped dead in the doorway.
         “Oh, s–sorry,” he stuttered.
         Suddenly he took a good look at the boy and fought to keep his face unchanged.  It was one of the boys that Alexander told to watch him and get under his skin.  The boy stared at William, acknowledgment filled his eyes.  William quickly turned and hurried out of the room.
         “Hey, wait!” the boy called, standing up.
         William ran down the hall but slowed as he entered one of the party rooms.  He zig zagged through the people, trying to make himself harder to spot.  Finally, he reached back to the refreshment table and gently grabbed Callie by the arm.
         “We have to go.  Now,” he whispered in her ear.
         “Alright,” she said, saving her questions until they were outside.
         William and Callie quickly found Tommy and said goodbye before hurrying outside and down the sidewalk.
         “What’s going on?” Callie asked as she hopped into William’s truck.
         “Him,” William said, pointing to a figure standing on the front porch.
         Callie looked at the boy and gasped, quickly diving out of sight.
         “Good idea,” William said as he started the truck and pulled away from the curb.
         “What does he want?  That’s Paul by the way.  One of Alexander’s two best friends,” Callie informed William as she laid across the seat, her head near his lap.
         “Oh probably to ask why I walked in on him talking to this girl in the bathroom.  And to question me about my life like Alexander told him to.  Well, sort of.”
         “He’s one of the two that was with Alexander?” she asked, looking up at him.
         “Yes.”
         “Then Alexander is dead serious about this.”
         “Alexander doesn’t strike me as one to joke around.”
         “He must be really worried to be sending Paul.  And so early to,” Callie continued, more to herself than William.
         William looked down at Callie, not responding.
         “I am definitely into something dangerous,” William thought, looking back at the road.
         He quickly scolded himself.  He gave his word that he would help and Callie desperately needed someone’s help.  He wasn’t planning on backing down and letting Alexander make her unhappy, which she clearly was.
         “So you like her then?”
         William’s mother’s words echoed in his head.
         “No,” he said aloud.
         “I’m sorry?” Callie asked.
         “Oh, sorry.  I was talking to my self,” William apologized.
         “Oh.”
         “She is just a friend,” William thought furiously, “That’s all.  Just a friend in need.  I don’t even know her well enough to like her.”
         “Are you ok?” Callie asked, sitting up on her elbow.
         “Yeah, I’m alright.”
         William looked into the rearview mirror and narrowed his eyes.
         “Callie.”
         “Yes?”
         “What does Paul’s vehicle look like?”
         Callie moved to sit up and look out the back window but William put a hand on her shoulder and gently pushed her down.
         “No, stay down.  Just tell me what it looks like.”
         “It would be a black Lexus GT.  Last years model with four doors and silver rims.  It has a sunroof as well.”
         “Very observant,” William complimented as he tensed.
         “I’ve had to ride in it several times,” Callie replied, tonelessly.
         William didn’t answer but pressed his foot further down on the gas as they headed out of town.  Callie sat up a little.
         “What are you doing?” she asked, nervously.
         “Putting a little distance between Paul and us.”
         “So it is him then?”
         “The car is exactly as you described from what I saw as he passed under a street light.”
         “Then I wouldn’t try to lose him.  He’s one of the best at the high school when it comes to driving skills.”
         “We’ll see about that.”
         Callie sat up but kept low of the window so she could grab the panic handles if she needed to.
         “William don’t do this.  You’re new to this place and you can’t possibly know where you are going!”
         “Do you trust me?” William asked, ignoring her statement.
         “What?”
         “Do you trust me.”
         “Not when your trying to outdistance a really good driver!  Especially when I’m in the vehicle!”
         William’s truck passed a farm and his headlights high beam picked up on a rough dirt road on the left of the road he was traveling on.  William’s eyes lit up.  Callie also saw the road.  Her eyes widened and she shook her head furiously.
         “No.  William no!” she demanded.
         William grinned daringly as he looked in the rearview mirror.  Paul was keeping up easily.
         “Let’s go off road shall we?” William asked, humor thick in his voice.
         “William don’t you even!” Callie exclaimed, terrified.
         “Just trust me,” was all William said.
         William drove closer towards the dirt road and for a moment Callie thought he had changed his mind.  Suddenly, William slammed on the brakes and turned the wheel sharply to the left.  Callie screamed as she put her hands out in front of her to stop from getting flung into the glove compartment.  William’s tires squealed on the pavement as he accelerated and tore down the dirt road.  Paul skidded to a stop and jumped out of his car.  He watched angrily as the tail lights of William’s truck shrank away.
         “You’re hiding something kid,” he muttered, getting back into his car and driving off.
         Callie was trying hard not to hit her head on the ceiling as she bounced up and down with the truck as it tore down the rough potholed road.
         “Will you slow down already?” she shrieked.
         “Callie relax.  I’m a really good driver.  I have yet to get pulled over or get into a wreck.”
         “That’s because they gave up chasing your suicidal self!”
         William chuckled but slowed down to a steadier speed.  Finally he stopped the truck and put it into park.
         “See how easy that was?  You have to love trucks.”
         “Love trucks, yes.  Love the way their drivers drive? No,” Callie growled, finally letting go of the panic handles.
         William laughed and looked out the windshield.  His eyes lit up as his headlights picked up on a giant mud field straight ahead.
         “We still have some time before I should take you home.  Do you want to?” he asked, pointing ahead.
         Callie looked out, confused.
         “And do what?”
         William stared at her in disbelief.
         “You mean to tell me that you own a truck and you have never driven through the mud with it?”
         “Um, on the road,” Callie replied uncertainly.
         “That’s not mud,” William chuckled putting his truck into drive.
         “Oh no,” Callie moaned as he accelerated and the headlights showed a bigger patch of the field.
         “Oh yes,” William said enthusiastically.
         William hit the mud with enough force to kick it up onto his windshield.  He turned on the windshield wipers as Callie screamed.  He spun the tires as he turned the wheel sharply to the left, causing the truck to slide across the mud.  William let out a whoop in excitement.  Callie giggled slightly as she looked at his face.  William was definitely enjoying this.
         “He wouldn’t have done this with me in the vehicle if he hadn’t done it before,” she concluded.
         As William sprayed mud everywhere while achieving a figure eight, Callie could start to see what was fun about it.  It was not only a test of maintaining control of your vehicle, it was an awesome way to show off your truck’s skills.
         “This isn’t so bad,” Callie said, relaxing a little.
         She gasped as William grinned and spun the truck around, slamming on the brakes to the it stopped, facing the dirt road.
         “See?  Complete control,” he grinned.
         “Just don’t do any of this on a real road.”
         William laughed.  Callie unbuckled her seat belt and put her hand on the door handle.
         “Where are you going?” William asked.
         “I want to see how covered in mud your truck is,” she replied, opening the door.
         “Callie I wouldn’t do that!” William warned.
         “Relax William, I’ll be fine.  It’s just a little mud.”
         “No Callie, wait!”
         Callie stepped one step away from the truck and squealed as she slipped and fell down.  William’s eyes went wide and quickly unbuckled himself, scooting across the seat to Callie’s open door.  He looked down at Callie who had burst out laughing.  She was covered in liquid mud as she sat in a puddle of it.  William took in her blonde hair that was now splattered with brown mud and tried not to laugh.
         “Are you okay?” he asked, trying to keep a straight face.
         Callie looked up at him and William couldn’t keep from laughing any longer.  Her face had mud spots all over it.
         “Yeah!” she laughed, “But I could use a hand up.”
         William leaned down and held out a hand to her.  Callie took it and started to pull herself up.  Suddenly, she gave a hard yank.  William flew out of the truck and landed face first into the big mud puddle.  Callie doubled over with laughter as William crouched on all fours, shaking his head and sputtering.
         “I’m sorry, did you slip or something?” she asked, innocently.
         William looked up at her with an playful evil glint in his eye.  He jumped up and grabbed Callie by the shoulders.
         “Not as much as you’re going to!” he laughed, trying to throw her down into the mud.
         “I don’t think so!” she giggled.
         Callie quickly stuck out her foot and tripped William up.  William let go as he splashed into the mud.  Callie laughed as she took off running, slipping as she went.  William quickly got up and gave chase.  It wasn’t long until William easily caught up with her.
         “Gotcha!” he exclaimed, grabbing her around the waist and lifting her up.
         Callie squealed and squirmed to get free.
         “Wait, Callie, easy!” William warned, trying to find a sure footing as she wiggled.
         William slipped and they went down into a pile of mud together.  William and Callie sat there for several minutes laughing.  They were both covered from head to toe in mud.  Finally they stood up and helped each other walk back to the truck, slipping and falling occasionally.  As they reached William’s truck, William stopped and groaned.
         “What is it?” Callie looked at him.
         “My seats are upholstered and we are covered in mud,” he moaned.
         “Oh no,” Callie giggled apologetically, “so what do we do?”
         “Well,” William hesitated, opening the driver’s side door and looking behind the seat, “I have a black garbage bag and a large beach towel.  You can have the beach towel and wrap up in it.”
         “Alright.”
         William pulled out the towel as Callie carefully walked around to the passenger side and tossed it across the seat.  As Callie shook out the towel as William stuck his head behind the seat to reach for the garbage bag.  Something fell out of the towel and Callie bent to pick it up.
         “Um, William?” she giggled, straightening.
         “Ya?” William’s muffled voice replied.
         “South Carolina called, a surfer wants his shorts back.”
         “What?”
         William pulled his head out from behind the seat, bringing the bag with him.  Callie held up a pair of blue flamed swim trunks and raised an eyebrow, smiling.  William felt himself turn red and Callie laughed as his whole face turned red.
         “Oh, sorry about that.  I must have forgotten to pack those in a box from the last time I went to the beach.”
         “You mean they are dirty?” Callie exclaimed horrified, tossing them across the seat quickly and wiping her already muddy hand on her muddy jacket.
         William laughed and shoved the shorts behind the seat.
         “No, they’re clean.  Don’t worry.”
         William looked into the garbage bag to see what was in it.
         “Huh,” he said thoughtfully.
         “What’s in there?” Callie asked as she hopped into the truck, towel wrapped securely around her.
         “I was wondering where I put that cat that kept sleeping on the hood of my car back in South Carolina,” William said, pretending to talk to himself.
         “What!” Callie shrieked.
         “I’m kidding,” William laughed, reaching his hand into the bag, “It’s just a beach blanket.  See?”
         William pulled out a dark green blanket and showed it to Callie.
         “I see.  Well in that case, you can use that blanket to save your upholstery.”
         “Funny how simple things can help a big situation,” William replied, draping the blanket over his side of the seat.
         “Very.”
         William had a little trouble getting his truck to start rolling through the mud, but after a little maneuvering he was able to get the front tires to grab the dirt road and pull the truck the rest of the way out.  The trip home started in silence and William tried to think of a way to break the silence.
         “So, earlier you said I didn’t know you,” he said, thoughtfully.
         “That’s right,” Callie nodded, looking at him.
         “Care to play twenty questions until we get to your house then?”
         “Sure,” Callie laughed.
         “Alright.  Let’s see.”
         William didn’t have a question ready so Callie jumped in.
         “How about I go first?  What’s your favorite color?”
         “Green.  Yours?”
         “Blue.”
         “Not a bad color.  At least it wasn’t pink.”
         “Yeah, I’m not so fond of pink.  It’s overrated,” Callie rolled her eyes.
         “And yet I saw you wearing a pink shirt on Friday,” William said, raising an eyebrow.
         “I said I wasn’t fond of the color.  Not that I wouldn’t wear it.”
         “I see.  Alright, my turn.  What is your favorite animal?”
         “Oh wow,” Callie laughed, “That’s an unfair question.  I have a bunch of animals that I love.  But, I would have to say horses for the fact that I am around them a lot.  But I also admire the eagle for its free spirit.  What’s yours?”
         “I won’t be so technical, but mine are the eagle and the lion.  The eagle, for pretty much the same reason as you.  The lion for the strength and majesty that they show.”
         Callie nodded, understanding.
         “Okay, my turn.  What sports do you like?”
         “Football, baseball, soccer, boxing—,”
         “Boxing?”
         “Yeah, why?”
         “That’s a new one I haven’t heard.  A lot of people here think that it’s overrated and pointless.”
         “It’s your view,” William shrugged, “It’s a lot more than just hitting the opponent though.”
         “I see.”
         “What about you?”
         “Me?  Football, baseball, equestrian, archery–,”
         “Archery?  That’s a new one I haven’t heard,” William teased.
         “It’s your view.  It’s more than just hitting the target though,” Callie retorted, trying to keep a straight face.
         “That is not exactly a sport you know,” William laughed.
         “Some people wouldn’t consider boxing a sport you know,” she responded casually.
         “Touche.”
         “Whose turn is it?”
         “I believe it’s mine.  Do you like to cook?”
         “Cook?  That’s a question I’ve never had anyone ask me.  Actually I do like to cook.  Well, more bake than cook.  I’m better at making desserts than the main course.  Can you cook?”
         “I can,” William nodded, turning into Callie’s long driveway, “My favorite thing to make is chili.  I will admit that I fail at desserts.”
         “That’s great!  Next time our parents want a special meal we can—,”
         Callie stopped and gasped in despair.
         “What?”
         Callie nodded ahead and William looked just as the headlights of his truck drew up on a vehicle and silhouette.
         “What is he doing here?” William growled.
         “Paul must have called him,” Callie moaned, quickly unbuckling her seatbelt, “This is not good.  I should have thought of that.”
         “Don’t worry about it.  I can handle it,” William replied, unbuckling his own seatbelt.
         “No, don’t William.  I can go myself.  I don’t want anything started in my driveway.”
         William frowned but remained in the truck as Callie stepped out.  Alexander watched the scene as he leaned against the truck of his car, arms crossed against his chest.  William could see the anger and annoyance in Alexander’s eyes as the two boys nodded to each other in acknowledgment.
         “Sorry about your towel,” Callie apologized, unwrapping from around her shoulders.
         “Hang on to it,” William said, still watching Alexander, “It’s a long walk to your front door.  Tell your parents I am sorry that I didn’t bring you home in the condition you left in.”
         Callie couldn’t help herself and laughed.  William looked at her and smiled.
         “I will do that.  I’ll call you tomorrow night.  Er, if that’s alright,” Callie shifted, uncomfortably.
         “I’ll be around,” William shrugged, “So go ahead.  You can get my number from Tommy.”
         “Yeah, I can.”
         “You’d better go.  I think Alexander is about ready to shoot lasers from his eyes with the look he’s giving me.”
         “Alright.  Thanks for tonight.  It was really awesome.  I loved it.”
         “You’re welcome.”
         Callie wrapped the towel around her shoulders again and shut the passenger door.  She walked in front of the truck and William watched as Alexander finally moved from his position.  He quickly moved to her side and started speaking.  Callie glanced over her shoulder at William before replying.  William nodded a goodbye to her then watched as Alexander put his jacket around Callie’s shoulders.
         “The towel was sufficient, it’s not that cold out,” William muttered, his fingers tightening on the steering wheel.
         William watched until Callie was in the house before setting his truck in reverse.  He did not want to leave when he knew that Alexander was still there but he also knew that Callie had dealt with him before William’s family had even given thought to move to the town.  As he drove home he thought about the past couple hours of events.
         “So much for Mom’s peaceful town wish,” he thought, pulling into his driveway.
         William shut the front door quietly and turned around to see his father sneaking out of the kitchen with a large cookie in his hand.  Father and son looked at each other, amused.
         “Healthy night snack?” William smiled accusingly, pointing to the cookie.
         Mr. Baker looked at the cookie in his hand and then to his son’s muddy, dishevel appearance.
         “You better not let your mother see you or the mud you just tracked in.  She will absolutely flip out,” he challenged casually.
         William looked down at his clothes, then glanced at the foot prints behind him.
         “I have seen no cookie, sir,” he replied in mock seriousness.
         “And I have seen no boy covered head to toe in mud.  I don’t think I even want to know.”
         “Muddin.  Callie had never done it before.”
         “In that case, you are pretty much busted if you haven’t taken your truck to the car wash yet.  And a word of advice.  Next time roll your windows up.”
         William laughed quietly and shook his head as his father retreated to the family room.  William took off his shoes and hid them in the entryway closet before hurrying to the kitchen for a wet paper towel to mop up the mud prints he had left on the floor.  He then silently made his way up the stairs and into his bedroom to grab his pajamas; then slipped into the bathroom to take a shower.  When he snuck back down stairs to the family room, Mr. Baker looked up from the television at him as he sat down on the couch.
         “What did you do with your mud suit?” he chuckled.
         “I hid it in a paper bag in my closet until I can wash them without Mom seeing,” William replied.
         “Smart kid.  You are from my side for sure.”
         “That’s what I keep getting told,” William laughed.
         The two males watched the television for a while before Mr. Baker spoke up again.
         “So your night with Callie went well?”
         “Yeah it went alright.  She’s pretty cool.  It really surprises me how many kids at school do not have high regard for her.  She’s really different.”
         “That’s the thing son.  Being different is something that singles you out.  Especially in the high school world.  If you are not like everyone else, you don’t fit it.  If you don’t fit in, you don’t get respect.  Even if you deserve it.”
         William looked at his dad.
         “How did you get so smart in high school philosophy?” he questioned.
         “Things haven’t changed in the high school world,” Mr. Baker winked.
         “That’s sad.”
         “It is.  But now, back to you.  Are you two getting to be pretty good friends?  Despite her boyfriend?”
         “How did you know about Alexander?” William asked, shocked.
         “The girl at the snack counter at the movie theater is Callie’s cousin apparently.  Your mother mistook her for Callie.  She was using your description that you gave at dinner.  She wasn’t far off apparently, the girl did look similar.  But you know how your mom can get sometimes.  She talks.”
         William winced.
         “So much for trying to be invisible around here,” he muttered.
         “Don’t worry about it too much William.  Your mom likes to chat but she knows when to stop.”
         “She does?”
         “Sure.  The minute she has nothing else to say.”
         “Dad!  That’s mean!” William laughed.
         “You know I’m kidding.”
         William and his father spent another hour talking and watching the television before Mr. Baker decided to go upstairs.  William remained downstairs and stretched out on the couch.  After another hour of watching the sports channel and then the weather channel, William drifted off to sleep.
© Copyright 2007 Bethany K. Brown (pencil2paper at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1230114-Mind-Over-MatterChapter-Four-pt2