*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1230674-The-Twilight-Affair----Part-One
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Romance/Love · #1230674
A kidnapped princess must hide her identity and plot the return to her troubled country
                 
I.

   
        Julia lay in the grass of the orchard, looking up through the branches to the gray sky above. It was cool, almost fall, and the air was crisp. Her golden hair fell in waves over her shoulders and onto the grass. She did not stir. The only movement across the surface of her body was the occasional flutter of her eyelashes and the steady rise and fall of her breast.
         "Tell me, Daniel, how long until my father's armies reach the southern coast?"
         "I cannot say for certain-"
         "I know, but you are an excellent soldier and I know you have already an  opinion. I am asking your council."
         "Two days." he responded sharply. He shifted his weight, his eyes never leaving the edge of the grey woods.
         "What do you think of his maneuver?"
         "To put down the rebellions against your uncle in Candof?" he looked to her. She nodded. "Necessary, of course. Though..."          
         "You hesitate to say..."
         "Though the control of his territories is necessary, they must not be held at the risk of the kingdom itself." He rubbed his brow, and took a breath. He never did enjoy talking military tactics with women, though she had a keener sense than most and he enjoyed humoring her. She frowned, and taking a deep breath exhaled very slowly. Daniel spoke, trying to salvage any sense of propriety. "You do not need to worry about such matters. Two moons hence, perhaps you will find yourself further removed from the politics of Calisca." She pushed herself up abruptly.
         "I cannot help it. Two moons has yet to come and when it does I shall find it hard to forget Calisca. Do not insinuate I shan't."
         "I apologize, milady."
         "Do not be so solemn, please." she smiled, her eyes friendly again. His eyes were serious as he scanned the trees but he spoke,
         "Isabelle Julianne Rudolf. You always insist on such a keen attention to those affairs. If only you were more like Rosa." He laughed softly. Julia glared at him for using not only her true first name, but her middle and last as well. Still, she laughed because she knew he was trying to humor her demand. She slid back onto a rock, and pulled some blades of grass which she began to twist in her hands. All day they had wove through the vast vineyards, even visiting some of the closer refineries. Now, her fingertips were stained with purple from dipping her cup into various barrels to taste their yields. 
          Julia looked up again and squinted at the darkening sky. It have been overcast all day, yet now the sky looked the color of charcoal. Her mouth tasted bitter and the air seemed thicker. Daniel seemed to notice as well, he had paced twice now the length of the clearing and his eyes shifted, searching.
         "It must be later than midday, we should return to Calisca." his voice was low, and his hand had in-advertently slipped to the hilt of his sword. She followed as she began to move through the path. Their pace was hasty, and they stopped seldom, Daniel listening intently. When they reached the tree line to the fields before the city, Julia first slipped through the opening. Daniel went to follow her, but she had stopped in the path.
         Ahead of her the city was smoldering. Some of the townhouses were ablaze, a few already had fallen, shattered. The keep, defined against the grey sky, was torn open, and the stones fell in with those from the walls. She just then began to hear the sounds around them. Screams erupted, and the sound of stones being dislodged thundered, yet the sound of horses predominated. Daniel came to her side. In a second he took her arm and pulled her back into the cover of the woods. The contact jolted her and she shuddered. He put his hand over her mouth just in time to muffle a scream. Daniel unsheathed his sword. He took her hand and led her down the path, and then off of it into the trees.          
         "My God-" she said, tears welling up and slipping over her checks.
         "Shush."          
         "Where..."she stammered. He was busy looking from tree to tree. "...do we."
         "East... east."
         "....where did they..."
         "Daneg. Come on." he took her hand again and they moved. She took her skirts in her free hand as they ran through the orchards. The air smelled of apples and smoke and Julia's lungs burned. A thought suddenly occurred to her: we're not going to make it. The size of the attack, the swiftness, they must have surrounded the city, it was a logical move. She slowed down, still breathing heavy,
         "We're not going to make it." she said.
         "What?" he tried to tug her on. She looked around, trying to come up with a new plan.
         "They would have surrounded the city-" she stopped, across through the trees, stranger's eyes met hers. Daniel saw them too and took her hand again, pulling her deeper into the trees.          
         The sound of riders moved upon them with stunning speed. Daniel held her hand tightly as they raced through the orchard. A horse leapt out in front of them, the rider swinging his sword down inches from Daniel. They turned only to see more riders reaching the grove. Daniel pushed her behind him. Nearly a dozen soldiers approached them on foot.
         "This land has been seized in the name of His Royal Highness Sebastian Rosv. Caliscans have been ordered to remain within the city walls." a man growled. "Arrest them." Daniel raised his sword. Julia held his wrist but he pulled away. The man laughed, and a soldier moved forward. Daniel moved at him aggressively and within three hits the soldier was backing away, blood dripping onto the ground.          
         Daniel turned just in time to duck below a sword. He swung at the man's leg and struck. The man stumbled, but didn't relent even when another soldier joined him. Daniel held the two of them back. Julia's eyes searched the soldiers, and paused on a man on in the back. Unlike the other men he was relaxed and stolid, and his eyes flashed with certainty. Her attention went back to Daniel, he had injured the second man again, so the soldier fell back, only to be replaced by a forth. Apparently they thought it well to fight with two against one, but not with three.                             Suddenly two gloved hands grabbed her arms and yanked her towards the men. A gasp escaped her lips. One of the soldiers fighting exploited the distraction for a solid hit into Daniel's ribs. He dropped his sword, half out of shock, half out of necessity. The crack was distinct and his tunic immediately bloody. Daniel had dropped to his knees, seemingly still trying to take a breath. Julia screamed, trying to tear away. Tears flooded down her checks, and she her legs felt weak. The other took the hilt of his sword and swung against his head. It was only after one soldier retreated and the other took a step forward and adjusted the grip on his weapon did Julia realize what was happening: they were just going to kill him- to execute him.
         She searched the crowd until her eyes met the stolid man.
         "No!" she screamed. "Don't kill him! Please!" he appeared mildly interested. She struggled, some soldier still holding her back. The man let his gaze linger, unabashed  "Stop it! Leave him, Please leave him! PLEASE! DO NOT!" she cried out. The man nodded to his soldiers, and there was no mistake of his rank.                              
         "Take her, leave the spare. We will make Bellingrade before the evening." Someone tied her hands in front of her and began to pull her with the party. She turned to glance at Daniel, he looked pale, and he met her with the saddest eyes. Julia tried to force a smile. It could not be helped, she wanted to say, you fought well. Julia wanted badly to hold his hand as he slipped away, as she was nearly sure he would. One of the soldiers pulled her onto the horse and they were gone. Even though the man's arms were around her as she road, she held on.
         Her heart raced. She had never entertained the possibility of going to Daneg. The soldiers were moving quickly through the woods, farther and farther away from Calisca. She noticed the other soliders appeared to wear daggers at their waists. Julia slowly let herself relax as much as she could. She tilted her head to the man's shoulder, feigning fatigue. Julia leaned back into his chest slightly, but not enough to seem deliberate. She saw the blade just near his hip. It would be difficult to reach for, take, and get off of the horse. Julia saw little choice.
         She waited patiently. Dusk was approaching slowly, and that would work in her favor. Julia noticed the ground around them. She didn't want to be followed on horseback, so it must be nearly impassible, but not dense enough she could not move quickly through it. She saw her chance. The path was narrow, the riders rode single file, and off the path it was steep and divided with trees.
         Julia suddenly reached for the handle of the knife, throwing her weight to that side as well. It happened so quickly she was on the ground in a heap before she realized she had taken the knife too.
         "GODDAMN IT!" someone bellowed. She leapt off of the path, wedged the knife into the ropes, feeling a brief pang of satisfaction as they snapped off. She ran as quickly as she could in the dim woods.
         On the trail the commander was the first off of the horse and pursuing her. He waved his other men to stay on the trail, the commander confident. He dug his feet into the dirt, looking for where this girl had gone to. She heard the racing footsteps pounding closer. She could not outrun him. She stopped and turned suddenly, swinging with all her strength, the knife aimed at his chest. He almost ran into the blade but stopped himself abruptly, tore the knife from her hand, pushing her off balance. Julia stumbled back over the unwieldily skirts. He knelt down, straddling her waist. He pushed hands above her head. She scowled, trying to ignore the tears in her eyes, and how close his face was to hers. She could feel his breath against her neck.                    
      "Lord Rienier." one of the soldiers interrupted, hanging back on the path.
         She felt a chill run across her neck. She had heard that name before. He was a Duke in the Daneg court who became Lord when he murdered his own brother in order to gain his inheritance. He provoked subjects and collages alike, but Northern law allowed such trespasses. Further more, he proved relatively adept at  the political aspect of ruling a providence, and exercised firm control of his military. He was a ruthless soldier, ruler, and lover, rumored he would never marry, even to appease social expectations.
         "The horses are growing restless on the trail-" Rienier turned to look at the man and his weight shifted. Julia kicked up again but he held her without looking. He moved abruptly to his feet and pulled her up with him. He pushed her against a tree, the rough bark scrapping her back. Rienier pushed his lips roughly against hers, kissing her. Julia bit and he broke away. His lip was bleeding, his face enraged. Before she could react he hit her with the back of his hand so hard she almost fell down again, catching on a branch.
         "Tie her back up Lucian, AND DON"T LOSE HER THIS TIME!" he screamed, turning away. Lucian bound her wrists, and this time the rope cut down into her skin. He pulled her onto his horse. She did not try to escape this time; the ropes were too tight and this man held her, an arm wrapped around her waist and a knife in his hand. They passed through some of the Caliscan town, yet none of them were destroyed. The townspeople stood outside their homes looking timid and afraid. The Daneg had some number of a military presence in every village.
         They reached the riverbank after several hours. Her stomach churned as they road over the wooden bridge. For a moment she had the urge to escape but her body felt weak now, and the blade still lingered at her waist. Between the exhaustion and pain, she passed out. She awoke near dusk, on the ground. Julia opened her eyes and squinted in the dark. They had made camp, no, they had reached a camp. Torches flickered in the distance as far as she could see. Tents expanded out even farther. Her wrists were tied behind her, to one of the wagons, and the rope dug into her skin. Now the air was cool and she pulled her knees up to her chest. The air smelled of leaves and ale and smoke.
         She wondered if anyone suspected who she was. If they found out... she did not want to imagine what would happen. Julia thought of the southern armies, but soon dismissed them. The attack was so thoroughly executed she could not imagine they would have overlooked such a factor. In fact, the southern armies were probably taken the day or even evening before the seize at Calisca. Julia leaned against the rough wheel and tried to compose herself. Between what had happened and what now stretched out before her like a dark ocean, it was consuming. She breathed deeply, inhaling that air that smelled of leaves and smoke. It brought to mind only images of her burning city. Julia closed her eyes.

         
                     
II.


         Lord Ambrose moved through the camp slowly. The men were drunk with victory and ale, and he hesitated to admit that he too was relieved Calisca had been seized so quickly with little damage to the Daneg forces. His eyes scanned for Rienier As he moved past the campfires and men he caught sight of some peasants- a matronly woman, and three men- chained to a post. Someone taped him on the shoulder and her turned.
         "Lord Ambrose, you are looking for Lord Rienier?" a soldier asked.
         "Yes."
         "This way." Ambrose followed the solider to a pine colored tent. The soldier went inside and Ambrose waited at the entrance while he was announced. When the soldier came back out, he entered, ducking under the low entry. Rienier took Ambrose's arm in his and greeted him, still holding a mug of liqueur. Ambrose took a seat, hoping Rienier would follow his lead. He did.
         "Did you experience any resistence at the borders?"
         "None. The preliminary infiltration of the outer Caliscan areas went according to plan and there was no resistance from those people. None were about to risk their lives for a few nobles they have no investment in. I suspect you were successful in the city?"                                                     
        "Rather. At twilight we began the siege, their army was so depleted I do not understand why they bothered leaving any- the ones they left were so ineffective. We breached the city within an hour, the keep within two. It took a little more time to secure all the Caliscans, but none escaped, that's a fact. The few that managed to get passed the perimeter were all either killed or captured. Furthermore, King  Rudolf is dead. He was killed in combat in the northern towers, the queen was killed in the partial collapse of the keep. Duke Edwards was killed, also, while attempting to lead a resurgence. The King's other brother Antony Rudolf, was shot by our archers as he tried to flee the city on horseback."
         "His Highness will be very pleased with this resolution."
         "There is one thing..." Rienier began, gravely.
         "Yes?"
         "Apparently Rudolf had a daughter."
         "He had a daughter?!"
         "Yes."
         "God dammit.  To have a potential heir to the throne, let alone a figure for the people to unite with against Daneg, you put the entire country in a volatile position. "
         "I've already sent for a man in Barikal, he used to be a Daneg contact in Calisca. Her countrymen refuse to say a word about her. No one has left the city since yesterday, so if she is alive, he will be the last person to see her so."
         "You send this man as an assassin?" 
         "On the assumption that she is alive, you could say that." Rienier said darkly. Ambrose's jaw tightened, and he shifted in the chair.
         "First, you have already said she is popular among the people. If you underestimate their willingness to protect her, then you underestimate their ability to avenge her. Second, His Highness would not be especially pleased with you spilling the blood of a woman, no matter the circumstance. That is my appeal to your sense of propriety, while it is not my position to dictate action to you and I do not intend to."
         "You always are so very grave, Marcus."
         "No defense of your propriety?"
         "No denial of your austerity?" Ambrose smiled tentatively before standing, fixing his coat.
         "It will be dark soon and I assume celebrations will be in order, even if premature?"
         "Of course they will."
         "Good." he relaxed as he turned and left the tent. While Rienier's difficult manner never failed to put him on guard, his own soldiers around him made him feel like a comrade, especially after a battle, yet never unlike a commander. He joined one of his battalions and was greeted by a uproar of toasts and laughter. Death had not found them today.

         Julia had suspicions of what would happen, still when it did she felt utterly unprepared. Two men emerged from the darkness.
         "Lord Rienier has requested your company." the shorter man snarled, before laughing. The other grabbed her shoulders while he put a knife against the rope. For a split second she froze as he flicked it down, the metal blade grazing her skin. He pulled the rope from her wrists and they pulled her up. They stood on either side of her and holding her wrists, her arms, dragged her forward. She pulled furiously, trying to twist from their grip. Her right arm pulled free and the man on her left yanked her to him. Julia brought her leg up at an opportune time and managed to catch him low. He released his hold on her. She stumbled back and was caught again. The taller man held her from behind, his broad arms wrapped around her.
         "No! Put me down!" she cried. They brought her near the center of the camp, where most of the men seemed to be. She tried to pulled away, her hands digging into the man's arm. He dropped her angrily, and she fell to her knees. The tall man hit her across her jaw with the back of his hand, and Julia caught her head from hitting the ground, her hands barely stopping her. The short man suddenly kicked her just beneath her ribs and pain seared instantly across her abdomen, to her lungs. For a moment, she gasped audibly for breath, black seeped in to her vision and she thought she was passing out. She did not notice Rienier emerge from his tent and begin to watch. For the first time since Ambrose left him he paused from his cup, fascinated and admittedly drunken.
         Julia tried to move away, but one of the men was just upon her. Her hand found a rock and with every reserve of strength she had, she swung it against the side of his head. He went down swearing and holding a hand to his bleeding forehead. The camp around them had become quieter, as the soldiers watched the events unfold. She was distracted and breathless when the other man grabbed her shoulder, and hit her with his fist. Julia lay on her side, her back to most of the men. She felt the bitter taste of blood in her mouth and her eyes stung as tears rolled silently over her checks. Julia tensed, unable to resist any more as one of them grabbed her shoulder. He pulled her over, beginning to pull her up by her forearms, but a man had pushed his way through the men breaking into the circle.
         "Don't touch her!" he thundered. He had a powerful presence and the entire camp seemed to hang on his every word. The short man let her slip from his hands, stepping back into the crowd. Men began to disperse quickly, a soft murmuring. Rienier found his way to Ambrose.
         "Exxcellent. Can you carry her into the tent for me? I don't know how they can take a city but they can't bring a girl into my bed."
         "I don't care if your drunk now, I'm telling you this is a direct violation of Sebastian's orders and you know it. He did not want Caliscans brought to Daneg." Ambrose's stare was burning with anger, and his face was stolid and unforgiving.
         "Well then you'll be disappointed to hear that there's several more at the other camp!" Rienier said sleepily, but Ambrose did not hear because he had turned his back on the commander.
         Julia was on the ground, not daring to move because even the shallowest of breaths made her lungs burn and her body ache even more. As Ambrose approached her, he clenched his jaw. It was clear she was badly hurt. She was slender and so small compared to the soldiers he wondered how she even stayed conscious. The girl leaned on her arm tentatively, and wrapped her other arm around her waist. She heard him approach and looked up slowly. Even in the dark he could tell she had a fair complection but a bruise had begun to form on her check and her lip was cut. He bent down and took her wrist softly. She immediately tried to pull away.
         "Don't. No." she said softly. He picked her up in his arms easily, and for a minute she protested, but he held her securely and when her head rested against his chest all he could hear was her troubled breaths. Rienier's mouth had parted ever so slightly.
         Ambrose spoke as he passed, "You are intolerable."

         Lord Ambrose took her in his arms and ducking through the entrance, brought her into his tent. He set her gently on some of the blankets that were taken out of a trunk, and took several pillows out as well, putting them behind her back. She pushed herself up, leaning against the pillows. It was dark in the tent except for a small lantern at her feet. She pushed a strand of hair out of her face and pulled her sleeve back over her bare shoulder. Ambrose came back with a small bowl of water and cloth. He knelt and brought it to her face, but she turned away. He set it aside her instead.
         "What is your name?"
         She picked the cloth up, and wrung it over the bowl. "Julia." she said softly.
         "My name is Marcus Ambrose." she watched him tentatively. He was dressed in a heavy dark jacket, military issue pants, and tall leather boots. He had a strong jaw, dark chocolate colored hair, and eyes so intense that she soon found herself almost incapable of looking away from. He moved near her, but seemed to hesitate.
         "You fought very capably, considering." he offered.
         "Not capably enough." She said softly, mostly to herself.
         "Does you chest hurt?" She was silent. "If you have broken a rib you will need a physician." She wrapped her arm around her waist and pulled her legs slightly closer. He sighed softly. "You should sleep. I will see you reach Daneg." He turned from her and took the lantern with him. For a moment it occurred to him that she was not tied up, and would escape and... but then he recalled the way she moved so carefully, and the tiredness behind her eyes. He turned back to look at her, moving the lantern in her direction. She was already asleep- her eyes were closed and her chest rose and fell steadily, softly. He took a blanket and laid it over her legs.
         Ambrose paced for a moment, before taking a long swig from his wine bottle, and laying down to sleep.          

   
III.


         Julia awoke with a shudder a blanket falling off of her lap. She only moved a little to sit up, but ache washed over her body. Lord Ambrose was gone and now Lucian sat over in the corner, his arms resting on his knees.
         "Ambrose has arranged for me to take you to Daneg." He said plainly. She stood up, her hand trailing on one of the tent's posts for balance, but she was determined to feign health and soon let go. Lucian lead her out and mounted a horse waiting just outside the tent. He held out a hand for her and pulled her up in front of him. They left hastily. Julia was terribly hungry, having not eaten for more than a day. Still, they did not stop for longer than a moment.
         Lucian tied the reigns to tree near the brook. The horse drank slowly, while Lucian walked off for a moment. Julia pulled water from the stream, letting it roll over her face, and neck, and hands. Lucian came back and they were off again, neither of them speaking a word. Lucian road hard, and though Julia was exhausted, she could not fall asleep. Even after darkness, they carefully navigated the paths. After several hours he stopped, quickly started a small fire, and set up two hammocks between the close trees. He gave her a blanket and a small satchel with bread and grapes. Julia sat on the cloth hammock, gripping on to the blanket, gazing inadvertently at the fire as she was lost in her thoughts. As Lucian carefully balanced himself in the quivering hammock he looked cautiously to Julia.
         "There is no where to run. We are at least twenty miles from any person, and the woods are filled with wolves. You'd have nowhere to go."
         "I know." she said, the words seizing in her throat as she spoke them. She wanted to try badly to get away, especially because the moment was deceivingly opportune. There was only one soldier, it was night, she could get possibly several hours head start, she was not even tied. Still, it was dark, she did not know where they were in the least, other than from where that had already come. He was right, there was no where to go, no one that would help her. The person whom she could have trusted was last seen dying in the west orchards. How futile and foolish it would be to try to run. This thought was so bitter she could taste it on her lips.
         She ate a few grapes, not looking away from the fire. Her stomach felt knotted and she pushed the rest aside. The orange flames lapped around the logs, now giving rise to gray spoke that was potent to her senses. They reminded her of the flames that rolled across the small village roofs in Calisca. Julia was not naive enough to believe her family was still alive. The past several days were a blatant attack on the crown, an usurpation. In that case no intelligent conquest-minded man would wish to leave heirs wandering around. She bit her lip, and felt two tears fall down her face. No, her family was dead. Her uncles were kind, though there were few occasions that she saw them, especially with the expeditions in the past several years.
         Her mother was a strict woman, Julia recalled vividly. Julianne Rudolf was the picture of matriarchal austerity. Her earliest memory of the woman was her standing in the doorway, lips pursed, watching as someone tied up her daughter's dress. Julia thought perhaps she was three, but as with those most early memories, one is difficult to judge. Julianne Rudolf began making arrangements for her daughter's marriage not a minute after she turned twelve, all the while managing the keep it very mysterious. It would not be proper to disclose serious suitors. As a result, of the potential suitors Julia was introduced to, only her mother knew which ones were drawing up a contract. If the problem were not already solved, it would have been within the next two months. Now Julia doubted she would ever know what the outcome was to have been.
         Julia thought of her father. He had been a regrettably distant man. Devoted to being a man worthy of his title, his flaw lay in his inability to judge others. King Matthew Rudolf turned to imperialism with the intention of improving the position of his country. Unfortunately, the expeditions undoubtably destroyed countless lives, and Calisca made many enemies as a result.
         Still, if Julia could not escape to freedom, she wished for an hour she could speak with someone she knew, any familiar face. Julia knew nothing of what specifically had transpired and speculating was difficult. She almost longed that someone would say to her "you parents are dead, you are alone." Instead, she was left with no choice but to tell herself what she already knew to be true.

         Before the sun had even skirted the horizon Lucian was awake, hastily packing up the tiny camp. Julia, who could hardly sleep, had suspected he would do just that and was lying awake waiting for him to roll clumsily out of the hammock. He did not disappoint, and nearly overturned, his foot catching in the rope near the end, as he tried to free himself. She pretended not to notice. She slipped off of her own hammock and with more difficulty than she anticipated, untied the tight knots and handed the makeshift bed back.
         They left again, following the same schedule, if someone dared call it that, as the day before. This time they stopped long enough to break bread, though having hardly finished chewing it, were quickly off again. The landscape changed slowly, shifting from the rolling pastures, rich orchards, and distant oceans so characteristic of Calisca, to a landscape Julia saw only as forbidding. The ocean was nothing more than a memory. The open and well traveled roads narrowed into paths that winded through dense dark forests. The terrain also seemed much steeper, with rock cliffs and sudden precipices that made the route nearly impassible in some directions.
         Julia felt anxious the more she looked around so she shut her eyes often as they road, imagining the rocking motion of riding in one of the boats. The summers spent going to the coast to spend a couple weeks. There were hardly any villages along the far east shores because of the winds, but Julia loved them. She would wear her hair down, letting the wind course through it powerfully, walking alongside the waves- letting them wash up to her knees, reading for hours in the sand, or riding along the coast. For a few weeks she could be out of the watchful eye of her mother, and enjoy those few unimaginable pleasures. Being reminded of the ocean soothed her, if only for a moment, and then would open her eyes again.          
         As she listened to the sound of riding, she remembered the man from the evening before. And as Lucian now held her loosely in his arms as he road, she remembered how the man had so gently picked her up into his. Marcus Ambrose, he had said. There was something very calm and warm about his demeanor she could not place. She tried to push him out of her mind altogether, but Lucian's arms remained a constant reminder of Ambrose's touch.
         They did not stop so soon this evening. It was not until straining her eyes in the darkness had almost become unbearable she saw the light. At first there was only a single flicker partially obscured by the trees, then she realized it was just the first of dozens that marked the looming walls of an enormous castle.  She shifted anxiously, talking in the new world around her as they passed through the first guarded gate. 
         It had to be the Castle at Daneg. It was impeccably laid, the massive stones rose up several levels. The interior seemed complex and vast, demanding the wall around it be extensive in length.  The windows where narrow slits along the walls, but gave an ominous appearance because it was impossible to see what lay on the other side. She looked down the steep hill and could see the lights of the town, flickering far in the distance.          
         They moved through the second wall, in to the interior of the castle and road back to the stables. They stopped near a man under a torch. Lucian dismounted, helping Julia off after. The man immediately embraced him warmly, 
         "We've won, eh! I could not imagine better news. They've been pouring the wine for three days straight. Praise, you're back safe to share a glass."
         "Thank you." Lucian said. "Have you seen Annabelle?"
         "No, not today. Hannah said she was nearly out of her mind worried though, I expect she's still awake having heard you were sent off back." Lucian seemed pleased with that answer, and more hurried than before. Julia felt self conscious as the man eyed her suspiciously, just seeming to notice her.
         "Why were you sent back-"
         "-I have to be turning in."Lucian cut the man off. Motioning for Julia to walk in front of him. She did for several paces then when they were out of the man's earshot, she fell back, next to him.
         "I don't know where I'm supposed to be leading."she confided.
         "I know." She walked aside him until they reached the side door, maned by a guard whose nod substituted as a greeting. Inside the castle was even darker, candles on the walls just close enough so you could see the next, though little of what was in between. He took her down a curving metal stairwell, she felt a chill against her back.
         At the bottom there was no doubt it was the prison. There were two guards at the bottom, one of which stood up, groping for his sword that lent against the wall behind him.
         "Where are the Caliscans?" was all Lucian said. The man picked up a ring of dozens of keys and trudged ahead of them. Julia took a deep breath, hesitating. Julia's mind was racing, there'd be no escape from the dungeon. Isolated from the rest of the castle, she imagined being quickly forgotten with the numerous other who were already, or soon would be. In the cold and damp prison, entrapped with someone who hated her family's reign and potentially worse, recognized her. Her blood ran cold and she was petrified. She could not be buried underground, she could not be locked up.
         Lucian hurried her along, still he spoke lowly,
         "All captives are imprisoned immediately, especially while the areas are still in unrest. Shortly their nerves will begin to rest and you'll be sorted out for work details." She swallowed, nodding and passing him walked into the cell that the guard had opened, while her legs still held her. Her eyes still shut, she did not turn around even after the door rung noisily as shut. Only after she had listened to their footsteps padding away did she open her eyes and begin to take in the cell, no larger than a small stable room. There were only half a dozen people in the small room, two women, and four men, each laying against another, the wall, or across the single stone ‘bench' in the cell. All were asleep except man, whose eyes had opened and now looked directly into Julia's. She looked down quickly and backed against the wall.
         "Milady." he was whispering, but it was still matter-a-factly.
         "Sir." she returned, bowing her head politely. It was too dark, she thought, he could not mean it as...
         "They do not know, do they?" he had risen and walked to her side. He was an older man, mid-forties, maybe older. His accent was thick and eastern, though undoubtably Caliscan. He leaned into the wall next to her and she knew the blood had drained from her face. "Foolish Danegans, they wouldn't know something so undeniably Caliscan if it knocked them off her horses."
         "I would deny it, but I presume it would be in vain." she whispered to him, still unable to look. "Though you know who I am, I unfortunately do not know you." She looked up.
         "I am Frederick Delagel, I worked as a liaison for your uncle and the smaller hamlets of his territory." Frederick moved to give a lower bow but Julia grabbed his arm, meeting his eyes and he paused, straightening.
         "They really don't know who you are."  He said slowly. She shock her head.
         "My God."
         "What news have you...of what transpired? I have been told nothing. I was not in the city when..."
         "Nor was I mi- Isabelle-"
         "Julia, please." It took him a moment before he understood.
         "Julia. I was in Norfolk, a small village east of Calisca. There were soldiers all over the town before midday Saturday. It was not violent, there were few who could resist and fewer who did. It quickly became an occupation. When I realized what was happening I tried to ride to the next town east, to warn them perhaps find others who could resist, even if we could maintain a small area... But I was stopped, an arrow to my horse and another to my leg. They only let me stop the bleeding once they found out who I was. They separated me from the rest and when a Daneg massager came through they sent me off with him, to come here, for interrogation, I presume.
         "I'm sorry milady, your parents are dead. I heard it from a captain himself." The reality hit her much heavier, now spoken and she forced her eyes not to well up with tears.
         "I had assumed as much." she said, and he continued.
         "All I have heard was that they took Calisca the next day. Drove straight through unoccupied towns, seized Calisca, and then worked back out to the borders, strangling the middle sized towns. A novel tactic, but it worked. I've never witnessed nor heard of such a hasty usurpation...Another account said that the castle was taken within three hours, the keep collapsing with much of the city in flames. All of the citizens were contained until further orders. They don't want any threats running free until they get everything under control. What do you..." he hesitated. "Plan to do, milady."
         "You must call me Julia." she whispered hastily, before losing her train of thought. It was just this moment she realized he was actually looking to her for instruction. Under Caliscan law normally any male heir of a King would take the crown, since her father had no heir, the obligation would fall to his brothers. If a male heir could not be found under said conditions, the daughter of the King received the throne.
         Her family was dead, and Caliscan law would recognize her as heir. Would the people? She did not feel comfortable taking the law as a mandate to assume so. There was so little resistence to the attacks, perhaps it was already clear. The last reign was not a popular one, it was no secret. Still, she was the daughter of King Matthew Rudolf, Daughter of Queen Julianne Rudolf, and Princess, presumably heir, to Calisca and she loved her country. There was not one duty to her people she had -would- ever take lightly.
          "As of now, few Caliscans are in any position to take action and many have said, there is great upheaval in both countries. Let both settle, let the people consider the implications of their future, and more courses of action will become clear. Once thing is certain, my identity must remain a secret." she paused.
         "I will say nothing. I believe the others will not recognize you, we are all from the outer villages, and I doubt the others would have seen you."
         "Thank you, sir." she said, the new-found authoritative voice leaving her tone for a moment. She began whispering as softly as she could again. "Tell no one. They may believe I am dead, though unavoidably natural doubt will slowly incur further problems. But most importantly, they must think I am still in Calisca. There is little anyone here can do, but do as has been done."
         "You do well....Julia. There is very little in our control now. There is very little in your control now. Have faith." he said sincerely. She smiled genuinely and leaned back against the wall, sinking to her feet, as he returned to his position on the bench. She shut her eyes and fell asleep quickly. For the first time in three days, amidst all the pain, and fear, and loss, and uncertainty she at last understood all was not lost. The prospect of hope that had just began to warm she buried deep below the surface, until it would be of use once again.

         Marcus Ambrose had not slept in twenty six hours. The evening before several of his men managed to overturn a wagon on a narrow ridge, sending a wagon rolling down to the bottom. Since it was the wagon that held most of their food supply, he sent several riders to a nearby town to retrieve what they could. Unfortunately the village nearly revolted at the idea of being near plundered by less than a dozen soliders. He went back with three dozen and himself. After a near riot concerning the twenty or so men of the village plus some adversarial women, they were persuaded to relinquish some of their foodstuffs. Of course, by the time he returned to his camp, the majority of men who stayed had drank the better part of the night, and then still had time to sleep until roused by their insatiable hunger.
         This evening, he sat in his tent in the darkness alone. Outside the evening was black against his tent walls with the hue of campfires, always present, just outside. His boots were kicked up onto a trunk, and against his leg was a bottle of wine though he hardly had the appetite. He found himself so distracted by his thoughts he could barely lay down let alone shut his eyes for more than the time it took to blink.
         It didn't help he hated leaving Montange if only for two days. Sebastian had given him the courtesy of maintaining their own fronts during the initial seize, as opposed to being actually stationed outside of Daneg, but protocol practically spelled out that he bring a smaller number of soliders with him across the border for both back up, should it be needed by the invading commander. It also did not hurt that he spoke with the other commander to better assess the situation. Daneg had remained peaceful, with no real incidents, and Ambrose was content that his county was safe.
          It was by no means his preference to stay because he feared battle, he had seen so many during the years of his life, it was nearly second nature. He did well in battle, and took pride in doing so, though war, the military never became a passion for him as it did for other men. It was one aspect of his title, and he excelled as he believe a ruler should try to do. It was as simple as that. No, he did not feel the same compulsion to fight on the front lines for this battle because it was less out of necessity or urgency and more of political ambition, specifically Nicolas'. 
         Though few viewed it as that, it was clear to Ambrose. Nicolas knew he had exceptional chances at being Sebastian's successor, so he took advantage of the unified Daneg while Sebastian was still King and manipulated the King's ear. Though Ambrose was held well in the King's favor, Sebastian saw something almost of ruthlessness that reminded Sebastian of his younger self. Though the difference was while Sebastian's ambition as born out of the desire to unite the Danegan states, quickly and efficiently restoring the country, Nicolas craved power and that worried Ambrose more than anything.
         He respected Sebastian's decision though, but remained deeply torn as to whether or not he should withdraw the territory he ruled from Daneg, if it meant he aided Nicolas to stay. The man was poison. Of course, he feared his country would not be strong enough to withstand the remainder of Daneg if Nicolas lead it against him.
         Ambrose shut his eyes as if begging himself for it be done with and for his body to fall asleep. It did not comply. He reached for the bottle and took a long drink.  The beautiful warmth that only wine brought spread through his chest like breath and he exhaled slowed.
         For a moment the Caliscan girl at the camp came to his mind. There was something so completely and utterly different about her than anything he had seen in a woman before. Absolutely unyielding, yet in a sense it seemed conflict with a certain passive aspect of her character, he could not pinpoint it. Her eyes burned with intensity when he first saw her in the camp, and later though guarded she was never vindictive or crass. Strength and vulnerability, beauty and passion. Though for now she was away from Nicolas, and closer to Sebastian where at least laws of conduct still governed. Knowing that, if he could have sleep he would have slept well.

   
IV.


         Julia awoke softly the next morning to the murmuring of voices. She pushed her self up, brushing the hair out of her eyes before tentatively looking around. Several eyes were on her and she felt extremely self conscious before them. Some of them looked away, some did not.
         She hastily introduced herself as Julia deLiselle, from Calisca where her family worked in the orchards. (No, she was not married, her elder sister was betrothed first.) She was captured outside of the city, by a group already en route to Daneg. It was a sad and sympathetic, though not uncommon, story. They listened carefully, the skeptics becoming increasingly appeased believing her less of a spy thrust among them, and more of a true Caliscan. She listened to similar stories of why they have been taken to Daneg. One man was a physician, another a scholar. The other man was seized purely to help lighten the burden of their journey. One of the woman was actually an expatriate fled to southern Calisca, and the other was taken to guide a battalion through the territory.
         Frederick was careful not to make any extra glances or movements that would imply knowledge the rest lacked. Julia did the same, acting her best to ignore the fact that the man actually knew the truth. They were given two small loaves of bread in the middle of the day. For the remainder of the day they spoke of their families and former lives. Julia was mostly silent, listening. When not to speak would have been suspicions she spoke of the orchards and vineyards where she spent so many long hours. And even though Julia only meant to pass the time, to say something- anything- to appease their curiosity, she felt a pang in her chest as it occurred to her that she may never again lay in those woods.
         Just as it began to feel like night, though they could not be sure because there were no windows, there was commotion from the stairwell. Flanked by three guards, several people filed into a cell only a few down from where Julia was locked. The people in her cell went to the door, wrapping their hands around the doors, it was all they could do not to speak. They watched as the others were locked in. The silence was less from the fact that there were more people just like themselves, sentenced to spend an undetermined amount of time in the cellar, but more of the fact that the second group appeared in such worse shape than themselves. The group looked bloodied and down trought. One man went to the corner of the cell,
         "What has happened? Where are you from?" he called, his voice hushed. Only one person replied.
         "We were enforcement ‘called' back to Calisca, but it was an ambush and a massacre... They had coerced some of our own men to draw us in. Some of us managed to break away, but we were found. I don't know how they learned the area so quickly, so extensively, and..." his voice broke away, unable to continue. All was silent for a long while after.

"The Twilight Affair (Part Two)"   by petra constans
© Copyright 2007 petra constans (reinefaye at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1230674-The-Twilight-Affair----Part-One