*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231069-Heart-Full-of-Hatred
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1231069
The Sequel to the Elizabeth/Marty storys Call of Distress and Time Goes on.
                 
Heart Full of Hatred


          “I hate you, you bastard.” Kobyn yelled at his father, as he ran down the stairs. Dino Kourelis ran his fingers through his hair as his eldest son ran out of the room. His wife Miranda came up to him and put her arms around him. “Don’t worry honey.” She said “He’ll come back.” “I know Mandy. He always does. I think I’m going to call Marty and let him know Kobyn will probably show up there in 20 minutes. Liz will know what to do.” Miranda went back to bed while Dino went to go call the Casey household. Dino was the bass player for the band Lovehammers. Marty Casey sang, Billy Sawilchik played guitar, and Dino’s brother Bobby was the drummer. “Hello?” came a groggy voice from the other end of the phone. The boys had just got home last night from the end of their spring tour, and knowing Marty’s wife Elizabeth, she had kept the lead singer up all night trying to catch him up on their kids' lives. “Marty, man sorry to wake you up” Dino said “but Kobyn just stormed out of the house. I think he’s on his way over there.” “Thanks for the warning.” Marty replied. “I’ll let Liz know. She knows how to talk to him.” “What am I doing wrong with him?” Dino asked. “It’s not your fault Dino.” Marty told him. “It’s just hard on him. You know how tough it is for him to have to take care of everything while your away. Plus he wants to know about his mother. He needs to know her.” “What about Mandy?” Dino asked. “Mandy’s always been there for him.” “You and I both know it’s not the same.” Marty told him. Joan French had been Dino’s first love. She had died giving birth to Kobyn. “I know. Well, I’m going to let you get some sleep.” Dino told Marty. “Talk to you later.” Marty hung up the phone and laid back down next to his wife Elizabeth. Marty rolled over and curled his fingers in her long dark red hair. Marty scooted closer to her and gently kissed her behind the ear. Elizabeth’s green eyes popped open. “Is it morning already?” Elizabeth murmured as she snuggled up closer to Marty. “I wish it wasn’t but Dino just called and said Kobyn stormed out of the house again.” Marty told her as he wrapped her in his embrace. “He’ll be here in 10 minutes.” Elizabeth said as she sat up. Elizabeth got out of bed and Marty moved to follow her. “No you don’t.” Elizabeth told him as she pushed him back down on the bed. “You need your rest.” Marty knew better than to argue with his wife so he let sleep overcome him. Liz planted a kiss on his cheek and went to go take a quick shower. After she was finished, she took a peek into each of her kids' rooms to make sure they were all still asleep. Elizabeth glanced at the clock and headed for the door.
She opened it and there sat Kobyn with his knees up to his face. “Come on Kobyn.” Elizabeth said softly. “Get in here before you catch your death.” Elizabeth led Kobyn inside and into the kitchen. “Tea or coco?” Elizabeth asked as she reached into the cabinet and pulled down two mugs. “Coco please.” Kobyn told her. Elizabeth made the drinks and sat down at the table where she handed Kobyn his. “Not tell me what this is all about.” Elizabeth said. “It's him.” Kobyn replied. “He’s never home and when he is he thinks everything is just perfect, but it’s not. Nothing is right. I can’t concentrate in school, at home everyone ignores me, and Michael and Michelle (Mandy’s two kids who are 18) don’t care weather I live or not. Home just doesn’t seem like home. “Oh Kobyn honey. I know it’s hard,” Elizabeth said. “It’s hard on everyone. I know. I go through tough situations every day but we’ll get through it.” Tears filled the 14 year olds eyes. “I’m scared Liz.” Kobyn said. Elizabeth took Kobyn in her arms and rocked him back and forth like a baby. “Why don’t you go to sleep on the couch?” Elizabeth suggested. Kobyn wiped his eyes and nodded his head. He fell asleep on the couch while Elizabeth headed back to bed. She changed back into her pajamas and climbed back into bed next to her husband. Marty rolled over and snuggled up against her.
“Mommy wake up!” five year old Jessica yelled as she tried to shake her mother awake. “Mommy! Please wake up! Tyler and Ron are torturing Rosie!” Little Jessica cried as she climbed onto the bed. “Tell your father.” Elizabeth said as she rolled over. “Daddy” Jessica said as she sat on Marty’s stomach. “Daddy please!” “All right baby girl.” Marty said as he picked up his small daughter and the two walked into her room. “Tyler David Casey, Ronnie Julius Casey, you give that doll back to your sister right now!” Marty yelled at the 8 year old twins. “But dad” blue eyed Ronnie began “Rosie wanted us to give her a makeover.” green eyed Tyler finished. “Give your sister back her doll right now and say you're sorry.” “But” the two began. “No buts. Do it now.” Marty told them. The twins handed the doll back to their sister and ran off to cause some other mischief. Marty walked back to his bedroom while Jessica went right on playing with her dolls. “Lizzy wake up.” Marty whispered into Elizabeth’s ear. Elizabeth swatted him away with her hand. “Get out of the bathroom Megan!” A voice yelled. “What’s a matter?” Liz asked as she woke up from her slumber. “I’ll take care of it.” Marty said as he slid back out of bed. He walked toward the bathroom the oldest kids shared. There stood 16 year old Fulton, banging on the bathroom door, his blond hair falling into his eyes. “Damit Megan open the f**kin door!” Fulton yelled. “What’s going on?” Marty asked as he placed a hand on his son’s shoulder. “Megan has been in the damn bathroom for a freaking hour.” Fulton yelled throwing up his hands. “Why don’t you just go use Tyler and Ron’s bathroom?” Marty said. “Ok dad.” Fulton said as he walked past his father. “Megan hurry up.” Marty yelled as he banged a few times on the door. “Other people have to take a shower too.” Marty walked into the kitchen where Kobyn sat drinking a glass of orange juice.
         “Morning Kobyn” Marty said. “Morning uncle Marty.” Kobyn replied with a wave. “Want a doughnut?” Marty asked as he reached into the cupboard and pulled down a bog of the frosted goodness. “Yeah” Kobyn replied as he took a few out from the bag. “Thanks.” Elizabeth then came in and put her arms around her husband. “What was all the commotion about this morning?” she asked. “Just the usual argument between Fulton and Megan.” Marty replied as he picked up his wife and sat her on the counter top. “Where are Ron and Tyler?” Elizabeth asked. “I’ll go find them.” Kobyn volunteered. “Thanks sweetie.” Elizabeth told him. Elizabeth hopped off the cabinet and got a bagel out from a bag and spread cream cheese over it. “After the kids are gone, what do you say you and me go take a long shower?” Marty asked with a sly smile. “Can’t” Elizabeth said as she bit into her bagel. “I’ve go to get to the club this morning its up to you to get that bunch off to school.” The smile from Marty’s face faded. “Mom I can’t find my math homework.” 11 year old Jordan said as she ran into the room pulling her long red hair into a ponytail. “Top of the TV.” Elizabeth replied with a laugh. “Is Alan up yet?” Elizabeth asked as she glanced at the clock. “I’ll go check.” Marty said as he untangled himself from his wife’s arms.
“Alan get your butt out of bed.” Marty yelled as he walked into his 12 year old son’s room. “Yeah dad.” Alan said lifting his head from his pillow. “No Alan. Now.” Marty said as he walked out of the room. He walked back into the kitchen only to discover his wife not where he left her. He walked back into their bedroom and found her changing. Marty laid down on the bed and watched his wife. “Martin Casey what are you looking at?” Elizabeth said as she pulled a shirt and walked over to the bed. “Only my beautiful wife.” Marty said as he pulled her into his lap, his blue eyes sparkling. “I would love to stay” Elizabeth said giving Marty a kiss, “But I gotta get to work and you have to get those hooligans to school.” Marty let go of her as she pulled some flip flops from out of the closet. “You have 5 minutes.” Elizabeth yelled down the hall at her kids. “I’ll be back this afternoon.” Liz said as she gave her husband one last kiss before heading for the door. The kids rushed down the stairs still pulling on clothes trying to collect their homework along the way. “Bye kids” Marty said as he held open the door for the children. “Bye dad.” The kids yelled as they made their way to school. Marty closed the door and sat down on the couch and turned the TV on.
At 1:00 the phone rang. Marty rolled off the couch to answer it. “Hello.” He said. “This is the Apple View high school principle, is Mr. or Mrs. Casey there?” the principle asked. “This is Mr. Casey. What did the kids do now?” “Mr. Kobyn Kourelis got into a fight and he asked if we could call you rather than his father. He’ll be in detention for the next week, and he’ll be suspended for three days starting tomorrow.” the principle said. “Thanks for letting me know.” Marty said. He hung up the phone just as Elizabeth walked into the house. “Hey babe.” She said as she hung up her coat and put her keys down. “Kobyn got into a fight at school.” Marty told her as he grabbed the Taco Bell bags she was carrying. “He’ll be suspended for three days and then he’ll have detention all next week.” Elizabeth shook her head and sighed. “He needs to get a hold of his temper.” Elizabeth told him. The two ate their Taco Bell talking about this and that. At 3:00 Megan and Fulton came home, arguing as usual, followed by Alan, Jordan, Ron, Tyler, and finally Jessica. Alan and Jordan took Jessica over to the neighbors while they headed for the mall. Fulton got his guitar ready so his band, Heartfull Hatred, could practice in the garage. Megan had a date that night with Gerry Conway, the captain of the football team, so she was up in her room getting ready. Ron and Tyler went down the street to their friend Matt Kourelis, Bobby Kourelis, Dino’s older brother, son’s house to cause mischief more than likely. Marty was sitting on the window with his Gipson Guitar working on his new song while Elizabeth was in the kitchen making chocolate chip cookies for the boys. “How do you think this sounds Liz?” Marty asked as he played the song. “Wonderful honey.” Liz said as she put the cookies in the oven. “Were you even listening honey?” Marty asked. “Of course dear.” Elizabeth replied. “Honey, I’m going out with one of my fan girls and we have three kids.” Marty said as he put down his guitar. “That’s nice dear.” Elizabeth said not paying attention. “Wait a second. What?” Elizabeth said turning around. Marty just laughed and went over to kiss his wife. “Mmmm I smell cookies.” A boy with brown eyes and black hair said as he walked into the room sticking his drum sticks into his back pocket. “Hello Randy.” Elizabeth said turning around to give the 15 year old a smile. “How’s your momma?” “Working as usual.” Randy said as he dropped his bag down on the counter. “Fulton’s already in the garage if you want to head out there.” Liz told Randy. Randy headed off to the garage while Elizabeth went to go fold clothes and Marty went out to the garage.
“Do you boys need any help?” Marty asked as he walked into the garage. “No I think we got it Dad.” Fulton said as he plugged an amp into his guitar. “Ok just let me know if you need anything.” Marty said. He went back inside the house to go look for his wife. “Listen baby, ain’t no mountain high, ain’t no valley low, ain’t no river wide enough baby.” Elizabeth sang as she sat in the middles of her bedroom floor surrounded by clothes. “If you need me call me no matter where you are, no matter how far.” Marty sang as he stood in the doorway. “Are you just going to stand there or are you going to come help me?” Elizabeth asked. Marty walked over and picked up a pair of his jeans and stuck them in a drawer. “There I helped.” Marty said as he sank down on their king size bed. “I think your cookies are done.” Marty said as a ding ding ding came from the kitchen. Elizabeth got up and stepped over the clothes and headed toward the kitchen. The front door banged open and in ran Ron, Tyler, and Matt. “No running” Elizabeth said as she walked through the living room to the kitchen. “Yes ma’am” The three said as the slowed down to a jog and headed toward Ron and Tyler’s room. Elizabeth grabbed a pot holder and took the cookies out of the oven and set them out on a plate to cool. Marty came into the kitchen and hopped on the counter and tried to sneak away a cookie. “Oh no you don’t.” Elizabeth said as she batted away his hand. “Those are for the boys, not you.” “But I’m one of the boys.” Marty wined playfully. Elizabeth took the plate of cookies into the garage and set them down. The boys, Fulton, Randy, and their friends Brad the bas player, and Mark the other guitarist, came over and grabbed a cookie from the plate after they finished their song. “Thanks Mom.” Fulton said as he bit into his cookie.” “Yeah thanks Mrs. C.” Brad and Mark said together. Randy just nodded his head in agreement. Elizabeth turned and walked back into the house to go finish the laundry. Marty had disappeared somewhere so she went back to their bedroom. Just as she was folding the last shirt the doorbell rang. She made her way to the door and opened it. There stood a cop with Kobyn next to him.
“Do you know this young man?” The cop asked Elizabeth. “Yes sir.” She replied “he’s my godson.” “Well we caught him destroying school property with a bunch of other boys. He’ll get off this time but if it happens again he will be sent to juvy.” “Thanks sir” Elizabeth said “I’ll take it from here.” The cop turned around and left while Elizabeth let Kobyn in and closed the door. “Go sit on the couch.” Elizabeth said to Kobyn through gritted teeth. “Don’t say one word. I have a mind to call your father right now, but I won’t bother him about it. He has enough on his mind already. Marty get in here, we have a problem.” “What is it?” Marty asked as he walked into the room. Elizabeth simply pointed her finger toward Kobyn and then went to the fridge to get a beer. “Damit Kobyn.” Marty said. “You're going to get yourself into some real trouble one day. What did you do this time?” Kobyn just shrugged his shoulders and looked past Marty at the wall. “The police caught him destroying school property.” Elizabeth said. “Kobyn, honey, you know I love you but you have got to stop this! You're giving me more gray hairs then Tyler and David. You poor mamma is turning over in her grave right about now!” Elizabeth walked out of the room with tears in her eyes. “Kobyn” Marty said “I know you don’t get along with your dad, but you have to try. Do it for me. Do it for Liz. She tried so hard to get you two to agree and look how you repay her? By getting caught by the police! She just wants the best for you and the only way you can have that is if you come to terms with your father. She has enough to deal with right now.” Marty’s voice softened. She has a lot to deal with and she needs all the help she can get.” Kobyn’s eyes filled with tears. “I’m so sorry Marty.” Kobyn said. Marty got up and went to the bedroom to where Liz was while Kobyn went out to the garage to listen to the boys play.
         “Hey honey.” Marty said as he sat on the bed next to his wife. Marty ran his fingers through his wife’s hair and sighed. Liz sat up and positioned herself in Marty’s lap and curled up against Marty’s chest. “I’ve tried so hard to help him. I just don’t know what to do anymore. He just can’t get along with Dino and I’ve tired my hardest to bring them together.” “I know sweetie.” Marty said as Liz began to cry. Marty rocked her back and forth as she fell asleep. Marty gently laid Elizabeth on the bed and covered her with a blanket. Marty glanced at the clock and ran his fingers through his hair. “Almost 6:30.” he muttered. He glanced at Liz and waked to the kitchen to order pizza. “Already taken care of.” Kobyn said as Marty was about to dial the pizza place. “And I picked up Jessica. Alan and Jordan are both in their room doing homework, and the dishes are done.” “Wow!” Marty said. “We may have to hire you as the maid.” “Just trying to help out.” Kobyn replied with a laugh. "And I really appreciate it." Marty said. "Now where are the twins?" "Basement doing God only knows what." Kobyn replied. "Matt, Brad, and Mark went home five minutes ago. Rand is with Fulton putting stuff away." "Damn I'm tired." Marty said with a yawn. "I think I'm gonna turn in as soon as the pizza comes." Marty turned on the TV till the pizza came 20 minutes later. "Pizza's here." Marty yelled. The kids came bounding into the living room from all over the house and grabbed a couple of slices. "Are you gonna want a ride home?" Marty asked Kobyn after everyone cleared from the kitchen. "No, I'll just walk home." Kobyn replied. "You sure?" Marty asked. "Yeah" Kobyn replied. Marty turned and went up the stairs and into his bedroom. He crawled into bed with his wife and drifted off to sleep.
         When Marty woke the next morning, Liz was out of bed. He took a quick shower and followed the smell of food to the kitchen where Liz was standing at the stove making pancakes. "I smell food." Fulton muttered as he stumbled into the kitchen in his shorts and shirt. "Pancakes are almost ready." Elizabeth said. "Get the butter and syrup from the fridge please. Oh and go get your brothers and sisters up." Fulton ran upstairs and soon a crash was heard. "Fulton you idiot!" Megan yelled. Marty and Elizabeth laughed as Megan came down the stairs, her hair in a mess. Marty went to the fridge and grabbed the butter and maple syrup. He set them down at the table and grabbed some glasses and orange juice. Marty's cell phone rang and he talked for several minutes. "I gotta go sweetie." He said. "The people at the local news station want an interview." "Am I not allowed one day with my husband?" Elizabeth yelled in rage. "Liz, it's not" Marty began. "Just go. Go give them your little interview." Marty's face fell as he walked out the door. Several hours later, he came home where Liz refused to talk to him .The rest of the day was pretty quiet until dinner when the doorbell rang and Marty went to answer it. "Is Elizabeth Grey there?" A boy about 18 with short, messy blonde hair and brilliant green eyes asked. "Liz" Marty called. Elizabeth walked to the door and stopped dead in her tracks. "Hi mom." The boy said.
"Oh my God." Elizabeth said. "Liz what's going on?" Marty asked. "Who is this kid and why is he calling you mom?" "Jack?" Elizabeth questioned the boy who simply nodded his head. "Um…Marty, I think you may need to sit down. Jack, why don’t' you come in." Marty sat down on the couch while Jack sat in an armchair. "I don't know how to tell you this Marty…." Elizabeth began. "This is your son Jack." "What?" Marty asked in disbelief, anger, and shock. "I'll start at the beginning." Elizabeth said. "Do you remember when I left for New York all those years ago?" Marty slowly nodded his head. "Well, I was pregnant." "What?" Marty yelled. "I don’t understand." "I knew I wouldn't be able to keep the baby, so I found a family who could care for him, and for that I am sorry. I never thought we would be back together," Elizabeth said as she turned to face Marty, "and I couldn't stand the thought of having a baby that would be just like you, plus I barely had enough money for me to survive. I'm sorry Marty. I should have told you." By this time most of the kids were in the room listening. "Yeah you should have." Marty said as he walked toward the door and then went outside. "This is all my fault." Elizabeth said. She put her head in her hands, "If I hadn't been so stupid," Elizabeth said turning towards Jack "none of this would have happened." Tears fell down her face. The children gathered around their mother. "Oh Momma," Megan said, "Everything will be ok." Megan led her mother to her bedroom where she fell asleep with a heavy heart.
I'm scared Fult." Jessica said as watched her mother being led down the hall. "It'll be ok." Fulton said putting an arm around his little sister. "Maybe we should call Alex. She'll know what to do." Jordan suggested. "Good idea." Alan said. Meagan came back just in time to see Ron and Tyler both make a dive for the phone. She reached it just before the other two. "If there's anyone who's going to do the calling its me." She said as he walked into the kitchen with the phone. For once, Fulton didn't argue with her. He was too busy looking at the new boy. There was something about his eyes. It was like he had gone through a great bit of pain. "I'd better go." Jack said standing up. "No don't." Fulton said standing up. "Mom would want you to stay, or at least till Alex can get here and sort things out." "Thanks" Jack mumbled as he sat back down and took off his leather jacket to reveal a tank top with the words 'Boys U.S Hockey' on it. "You play hockey?" Fulton asked. "Yeah, I played in Minnesota." Jack said with a slight smile as he remembered past memories. "Me and a couple of guys play too, but it's not enough to form a team or anything." Fulton said with a grin. Meanwhile, Tyler and David had been staring at Jacks upper arm. "Is that a tattoo?" Tyler asked pointing at the skull and crossbones on his right bicep. "Yeah" Jack said looking at the two boys. "Cool!" They said together. "Daddy has a tattoo behind his ear." Little Jessica said softly. "It's a circle and Mommy has one on her shoulder. It's a rose and on her ankle is a ring of thorns." "That's cool." Jack said giving the small child a smile. Jessica smiled back and went to sit on Jacks lap. "Alex is on her way and she's bringing Bobby." Megan said as she came from the kitchen. "I didn't tell her anything, only that we had an emergency. They should be here pretty soon." "I think we should introduce ourselves properly." Alan said. "That's a good idea." Megan said, "We'll start with Fult since he's the oldest." "I'm Fulton Jeremy Casey, oldest of this bunch." Fulton began. "I'm Megan Alex Casey, 16 and Fulton's twin." "I'm Alan Ray Casey, and I'm 13. "Jordan Anne 11 years old." "We're Ronnie Julius and Tyler David both 8" The twins said together. "I'm Jessica Kat and I'm 5." Jessica said hold up five fingers to show Jack. "I'm Jack Anthony Boyd and I'm 18. I come from Minnesota and I play hockey and a bit of the guitar." Just then the door opened and in walked Alex and Bobby. "Now what's this emergency?" Alex asked. "Alex, Bobby" Fulton said, "Meet our older brother Jack Boyd." "Oh my God." Alex said before fainting.
         Bobby caught Alex before she hit the floor. "I'll get some water." Alex said. He went to the kitchen and got a glass of water. He handed it to Bobby who poured it on Alex. "Can someone please tell me what's going on?" Bobby asked. Somehow the kids managed to tell the tale that they heard earlier. "I hate to say this." Alex said turning towards Jack, "but I new the entire story. I was there when you were born." "I hate to cut this short," Bobby interrupted, "but Marty is still out there and God only knows what he may be doing and Elizabeth is in no state to do anything." "Good point Bobby." Alex said, "You go call the boys and go look for Marty. Check Joes and places close by first. I'll go talk to Elizabeth. Everyone else try and make Jack feel at home. His is your brother after all. Set him up a room. Fulton, call Randy and tell him to come over here. Explain everything to him when he gets here." Bobby ran out the door, Alex went to Elizabeth's bedroom, Fulton headed for the phone, and Megan led the rest to a spare bedroom on the third floor where they set up Jack's room.
         Bobby met Dino and Billy in the parking lot of Joes Bar. Bobby quickly explained the story to the others and the three set out to find Marty. They were stopped several times for autographs and pictures. They found him in Elizabeth's club working on his fifth drink. "Marty you need to come home." Bobby said pulling up a chair next to him. "Why should I?" Marty asked while draining another drink and motioning for another one. "I think you've had enough." Billy said taking the drink away from Marty. "Hey give that back!" Marty yelled while reaching for the drink. "No Marty." Billy said who handed the drink to Dino. "Marty you have kids at home who need you. Not to mention Liz." "Yeah and I'm sure I have another 5 children somewhere that that woman didn't tell me about." Marty grumbled. "It's not her fault." Dino said. "Not her fault!" Marty yelled. "It's all her damn fault. She didn't have the nerve to even tell me about my son!" "How the hell do you think she felt?" Bobby yelled back at him. "You weren't exactly the best guy back then. She was scared to death and you ignoring her wasn't helping." Bobby turned and walked out the club with Dino and Billy following him. The three went back to Liz's to let Alex know what was going on before going home. Around two in the morning, Marty made his way home.
Marty opened the door and let himself in. Alex was asleep on the couch. He made his way across the living room till he heard "What are you doing here?" He turned to find Elizabeth in the kitchen, her eyes bloodshot and a bottle of rum in her hand. "I'm sorry Liz." Marty said. "Sorry isn't going to cut it this time." Elizabeth said putting down the bottle. "What do you want from me Liz?" Marty said angrily. "Get out." Elizabeth said with pure hate. "Get out and don't bother coming back. I'll send my lawyer to see you about a divorce." "Fine!" Marty yelled. He walked out the door and slammed it shut. Elizabeth threw the empty bottle against the wall, where it shattered, and laid her head down on the counter and cried.
"A divorce?" All 8 kids screamed at once. "Yes a divorce." Elizabeth explained to her children. "But mom" Megan began. "No buts Meg, sweetie. Your father used the last straw." "What about us?" Fulton asked. You'll stay with me, but you can see your father on the weekends." "Mom, you can't do this!" Megan screamed in rage, tears of hurt rolling down her cheeks. "The decision has been made Meg my sweet." Elizabeth said in a soft motherly voice. Megan leapt from the couch and stormed to her room tears dripping down her face. Fulton went to the garage and plugged in his guitar and sat there in silence. Alan went to his room and turned on the stereo, lost in thought. Ronnie and Tyler took Jessica's hand and led her to the back yard where she sat on the swing holding her doll. "This is all my fault." Jack said with a sigh. "If I wouldn't have come, then none of this would have happened." "No jack." Elizabeth said, "It's not your fault. Its mine." "I'd better go." Jack said getting up from his chair. "No Jack." Please stay. I can't bear to loose you again." :later on that day, when Elizabeth and Jack were out shopping, Marty came to pick up his things. He first found Fulton tuning his guitar in the garage. "Wanna talk?" He asked his son. "Not really." Mumbled Fulton. "I'm sorry Fult." Marty said. "Well sorry isn't going to change anything now is it?" Fulton yelled standing up and laying his guitar down before walking out the garage and down the sidewalk. Marty picked up the guitar and laid it in its case before going into the house. He walked into what use to be his and Elizabeth's room and started packing his things.
         Half an hour later, Elizabeth and Jack returned home, loaded with groceries. Elizabeth set her keys down on the table and walked to the bedroom where Marty stood with a pair of pants in his hands packing them into his bag. "Get your stuff and get out." Elizabeth said. "I was just leaving." Marty replied. He stuffed his clothes in his bag and walked out the door. Jessica stood on the stairs leading down the living room. As Marty passed her, he ruffled her hair and reached down to give her a hug. He kissed her forehead and whispered I love you in her ear.
         Later that night, the nine children met in Fulton's room. "We have to do something about Mom and Dad." Megan said. "Anyone got any ideas?" Fulton asked. "We could get them to go on some cruise ship where they meet and fall back in love." Jordan dreamily suggested while her brothers and sisters gave her strange looks. "Well, no more romance movies for you Jordan." Alan said with a smirk which Jessica responded to by sticking out her tongue. "Come on guys!" Megan said. "Be serious. Mom and Dad's relationship is at stake not to mention our lives." The kids sat in silence for a moment before Jack spoke up. "Maybe…..just maybe I can talk to Marty. Maybe I can get him to see reason and get him to apologize." "Well," said Fulton, "It's the best we've got." Jack nodded his head. "It's almost 10." Megan said glancing at the clock. "Jess and the twins should have been in bed." Everyone got up and left except for Megan, Fulton, and Jessica. "Jess" Megan questioned, "Are you ok sweetie?" "I'm fine Meggy. My head just hurts." Jessica replied in a small little voice. "Come on," Megan said. "I'll tuck you in." Jessica got up and went down the hall to her room. Megan exchanged a worried glace with Fulton before following her.
"Dino, honey" Mandy said to Dino who was hitting his head on the table, "are you ok?" "God I'm gonna kill Marty." Dino said as he stopped hitting his head and looked at her. Mandy sighed. "There is nothing that we can do about it. We just have to wait and see if everything turns out ok." Kobyn walked through the door and sat down at the table across from Dino. "Dad can I talk to you?" Kobyn asked. "I'll leave you two alone." Mandy said and walked out of the kitchen. "I’m sorry Dad." Kobyn said. "I've been a jerk and I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused you" "I'm sorry too Kobyn." Dino said. "I should have spent more time with you. Why don't we go to the White Sox game tomorrow. Just you and me." "Ok Dad." Kobyn said giving him a smile. Kobyn got up and went to his room and turned on the TV. "Well, I'm glad you two worked that out." Mandy said coming back into the kitchen. "You were listening at the door weren't you." Dino said with a grin. "Oh you know it." Mandy replied giving him a kiss on the cheek.
The next Friday morning, Elizabeth rushed the kids off to school telling them she would see them on Monday. With the kids gone, the house was too quiet for comfort, so she put on an old mixed cd while she cleaned. Jacks left after everyone was gone saying he had a job appointment to get to. After the cleaning was done, Elizabeth turned off the cd and settled down with a cup of hot coco, as it was getting close to Christmas, and watched a movie.
Jack had lied to his mother. That was all part of his plan. He headed over to Billy's house where Marty was currently living. Billy answered the door and let him in. When Marty saw him, he looked at him and turned back to the book he was reading. "I'll leave you two alone." Billy said before turning and leaving the room. "Listen Marty," Jack said, "we need to talk." "If it's about your mother." Marty said, "Then there's nothing to talk about." "Yes there is." Jack replied. "You love her and you know it. So she didn't tell you one thing. What if she would have? Would things be any different? Would you have not gotten pissed and stormed off?" "There's nothing left." Marty said. "Don't give me that bullshit." Jack yelled at him causing Marty to drop the book he was holding. "God, your just as hard headed as she is." Jack turned and left the building, slamming the door behind him. Marty moved to grab his book but he hesitated. He grabbed his jacket from off the chair back and went out the door to find Jack. Billy came back into the room with a smile on his face. He picked up the book and put it back one the table. He got out his cell phone and dialed Bobby's number. "Hey Billy." Bobby answered. "Have I got news for you." Billy replied. He told Bobby everything that had happened in the last five minutes. "Well, it's about time one of those kids yelled at him." Bobby said. "Maybe, just maybe things will get knocked back into the way it use to be." Billy said. "Only time will tell." Bobby replied. Billy stayed on the phone with Bobby for a while longer, talking about the band, Marty, Liz, and the kids.
"Jack, Jack wait up." Marty yelled running to catch up with his son. Jack turned around and stopped, waiting for Marty to catch up. "Listen Jack," Marty said, "things may never be the same with me and your mother, but I want to be your father. I want to be there for you." Jack looked at him with tears in his eyes. "Thanks Dad." He said giving Marty a hug. "Now tell me Jack," Marty said, "what brought you here?" Jack paused a while "My adoptive parents both died in a car crash a year ago. My mom kept a journal and in it she wrote all about the adoption. It took me a while, but I found the both of you." "I'm glad you're with us now." Marty said.
Four days later, the kids were at school, Jack was with Marty shopping for Christmas presents for the kids, and Liz was at her club with Alex booking bands, when her cell phone went off. "Hello" She answered. "Mrs. Casey, this is the head nurse from Apple View elementary. I'm calling to say that Jessica passed out on the playground and is currently being taken to Scott and White hospital with her siblings Megan and Fulton accompanying her." "Thank you." Elizabeth stuttered. "I'll be right there." Elizabeth hung up here cell phone and rushed behind the bar to get her keys and wallet. "What's going on Liz?" Alex asked. "Jess is in the hospital." Elizabeth yelled running towards the door. She stopped and threw a pair of keys to her. "Close up the club, call Marty, and pick up the kids at school and take them home." "Give her my love." Alex yelled to her as she caught the keys. Elizabeth got into her car and sped to the hospital while Alex called Marty and told him. At the hospital, Elizabeth found Jessica's room and rushed there. Jessica was lying on a bed connected to a heart monitor and many other machines, deep in sleep white as a sheet. "Mrs. Casey." Asked a voice from behind her. Elizabeth turned around to ace a young man, roughly 27 with shaggy brown hair and stormy gray eyes. "I'm Dr. Henry Blake, Jessica's doctor and I would like to fill you in on her condition and ask you a few questions. "What's wrong with her?" Elizabeth asked. "Well Mrs. Casey," Dr Blake Began, "Call me Elizabeth." Liz interrupted. "Well, Elizabeth, we're not sure exactly of your daughters condition, but I have my best people on the case. We're going to run several tests and narrow down the diagnosis." "Is there anything that I can do to help?" Elizabeth asked. "I need you to answer some quick questions." Dr. Blake said. Elizabeth nodded her head and Dr. Blake continued. "Does anyone in your family or your husbands' family have any heart problems, or any other life threatening diseases?" Elizabeth shook her head. "That's all for now. I'll keep you updated." Dr. Blake said. He walked to the door but turned around. "Elizabeth," he began "pray for her. Pray for your daughter." Elizabeth nodded and looked at her young daughter. Dr. Blake turned to leave, but Elizabeth quickly asked, "Do you know where my other two children are?" "They're in the lobby waiting for you." Dr. Blake said, "I'll send them up here." "Thank you." She said. She walked over to her small daughter and took her hand. Tears poured down her face blinding her to all things around her. "It's ok Liz." A voice from behind her said. She turned around and crumpled into Marty's arms. "Momma" a misty eyed Megan said as she ran into her room and straight into her mother's arms. Fulton followed with a somber look and stood next to his father. "Hush baby." Elizabeth said while rocking her eldest daughter. "It'll be alright baby." "What did the doctor say?" Fulton asked. "They aren't sure what's wrong with her yet, but they have their best men on it." Elizabeth said causing Megan to sob harder. "Where's Jack?" Elizabeth asked Marty. "I sent him home so someone would be there when the kids got home." He replied. "You two need to get home." She said to Megan and Fulton. "You're no use sitting here." "I'll drive them." Marty said. Elizabeth nodded and pulled Megan from her the embrace she had her in. "Honey" she said, "Megan my angel, I need you to stop crying. You have to be strong for me and your brothers and sisters. Go home with your father, make a hot cup of coco for everyone and put on a funny movie. I'll call you if anything happens." "Ok Momma." Megan said wiping away her tears. Megan walked out the door followed by Fulton and with a quick glance at Elizabeth's tear-strained face, Marty. For the first time since she arrived, Elizabeth looked around the dull hospital room and at the many wires attached to her small daughter. She thought about the many times that it had been her lying in that bed, and at that moment, she wished it was her instead of her little Angel.
         The days went on and no cure was found and the youngest of the Casey children remained as ill as ever. Christmas loomed closer and closer, but there was no normal holiday spirit at the children's household. Yes, they decorated a tree and hung up Christmas lights, but there was no spirit. The usual ceremonial angel was left off the top of the tree in hopes that the true angel of the household would be there soon to put it there. Elizabeth and Marty spent many days and nights in the hospital with their baby. The children were allowed to visit for a while after school each day. Many of their friends also came to check on the young one. Alex and Randy stayed at the house to try and keep things running as smoothly as possible. Stuffed animals and flowers filled the young patents room and seemed to only just brighten up the place. Two days before Christmas, a miracle happened. Elizabeth was asleep with her head on Jessica's bed when she heard a soft "mommy" issue from the small child's mouth. She immediately sat up and pressed the nurses call button. "Mommy is that you?" Jessica asked softly opening her blue eyes. "Oh baby!" Elizabeth yelled throwing her arms around her daughter, "oh my angel." Marty walked in at this time and ran to his baby girl and threw his arms around her. Elizabeth looked at him as tears of joy ran down her face. "I got you some tea on my way here." He said with tears in his eyes as he handed her the cup. "Thanks." Elizabeth said grinning while reaching down and giving her daughters hand a squeeze. Dr. Blake came in at that moment with a nurse and rushed the parents out of the room so he could conduct tests. Elizabeth ran to the phone and called Jack who relayed the good news to all the others who rejoiced with dancing around and hugging one another. An hour later, Dr. Blake came out of Jessica's room and announced that the little girl would be fine with plenty of rest. "It's a medical miracle." He said. "Whatever was wrong with her fixed by itself. I want to keep her here till Christmas Eve day and then she can go home for Christmas. On Christmas Eve Elizabeth and Marty took Jessica home. Her brothers and sisters greeted her with many hugs and kisses while Billy, Bobby, Alex, Dino and their families smiled and cheered. After the tiny child was tucked into a blanket in front of the fireplace, Marty turned to leave. "Don't go." Elizabeth said. "Please, stay. We're opening presents tonight." Marty smiled and sat down in an armchair. Jack walked over to Jessica who squealed with delight as she was hoisted up on his shoulders and given the angel to place on the tree. The children unwrapped their gifts and squealed with delight as they got toys, movies, and video games galore. Finally, after all presents were unwrapped and the clock read 10 past midnight, Elizabeth announced she had one more present. She ran to her room and came back with a large bulky package in her hand. "This was your Christmas present Marty." She said handing him the package. "The divorce papers. He replied opening the package. A grim feeling set into the room and on the children's faces. "Yes, our divorce papers." Elizabeth said. She grabbed them from him and threw them into the fire with a smile on her face. "Merry Christmas honey." Marty grabbed her and pulled her into a kiss. The children jumped up and crowded around them in a hug with Bobby, Alex, Billy, Dino, Kobyn, and all their families gathered around clapping and cheering.


THE END

© Copyright 2007 grumpypirate (grumpypirate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231069-Heart-Full-of-Hatred