*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231441-My-Juliet
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1231441
a fictional story of attachment, feeling, and death.
She was everything i'd ever wanted. Maybe her chassis was a little wider than I was used to, but she certainly wasn't overweight. Just Framed I never looked at her from behind, I always figured, if her ass wasn't golden, I'd lose interest. She meant more to me than that.

I've never believed in love at first sight. I guess I never believed that love can just appear either. I met a girl once, she always smiled at me as if it was more than politeness, but less than desire. We bonded at work, we used to do trivial tasks together, usually because I was lazy, and we could just chat. Chat about Coupland novels and life, Usually they were one and the same.

I remember the exact moment I knew there was something there that I never noticed, I'm pretty sure she never noticed it, But it was a thursday. Thursdays were pivotal for us. I'd taken two steps before her, and entered another room, she stood outside the door, talking to some guy. I suppose it was jealousy, but that was far outweighed by my own insecure feelings of the realization that I wanted her.

Later that night, we hid from our bosses, it was as if were were two kids in a Catcher in the Rye sequel. We took a labyrinth style path just to bypass the offices, and not let anyone know we weren't doing work, and we clocked out three hours after shift ended.

I taught her how to lace up a projector that night. She never could grasp touching a bolt. Her top loop was too tight. 'Give me your hand,' I told her, and I explained what to look for, she smiled, shimmied her body over and bumped me with her slightly over proportional waistline. She giggled, and I smiled. Sometimes, moments are all you have.

The advantages of cinema working, we had an empty theatre. A few hours earlier I would have just sat there, now, I was in 'date mode', luckily, it was impossible to laugh at, we talked about cliche's in movies, and she told me how the stupidest cliche was when the guy yawns in a film,then puts his arm around the girl. Kind of a strange thing to say.

Minutes later, I did that. With so much humor it wasn't just funny, it was transcending. She turned to me and kissed me. I guess my kiss wasn't as 'powerful' as i'd liked, I smiled throughout, and at the end she smiled at me, and with a slight exhale, embedded her head in my shoulder.

The rest of the film remains a mystery, to both of us. We shut down the projector afterwards, locked the building, and I walked her to her car. She told me she'd never seen me as what she saw me right then, and we kissed again. This time, the kiss didn't end, there was no smile and there was no slight exhale, only a thud. She had had a brain embolism, and died before she hit the ground.

I cradled her in my arms for eighteen minutes, before the ambulance arrived. It ran over the edge of my foot, breaking three toes, and eighteen day, I never even knew they were broken, I couldn't feel the pain. I couldn't feel anything. Eighteen days is a long time, the blood had stopped flowing there, and my foot began to rot.

I sat with a machete for hours, before recalling this tale. I swung at the foot, bone doesn't rot, apparently, I hacked again, and three toes were missing. I still couldn't feel anything, so I slashed my thigh the the cool blade didn't contrast the heat of the blood. Life would be a prescription drug from now on. I thought of Coupland, and I thought of her. I thought of Life After God, and for the first time in eighteen days, I felt something. Tears began to stream, and mixed with my crimson thigh. The tears dropped to the floor, as I realized, It was too late me for now.
© Copyright 2007 Fearless (fearlessrees at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231441-My-Juliet