*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231746-Hidden-Angel
by akeem
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Religious · #1231746
this story is about how a boy finds out about his parents had a secret
Hidden                  Angel






                                                 

                                            Intro


Noting ever happens in this town its like, I’m in this programmed world .I live by myself because my parents died a mysterious death, I was only 12. I wish I could have found out how they died. When I was 17½ the state let me have a house of my own but I couldn’t move to  far away from my relatives . Now that am 18, I have my own job and I moved to a little town Salem, they (the state) finally decided that I was old and mature enough to live where I wanted to. My boss said that I was a workaholic so he gave me a vacation, the whole summer off. So this is where my story begins and where everything around you ends.






                                                                                Chapter 1
                “Take A load off”
                       
Ding-dong.......ding-dong.....I woke up in a daze as usual, I looked at my clock it read 9:36 am. I was thinking who could it be at my door this early in the morning. So I put on a pair of sweat pants and went down the stairs. When I got to the door I looked out the peephole and outside having a look of concern was the little kid from next door, Matt. Then I opened the door, quickly without hesitation he blurted out.

DEVIN  you  have    to  come  quick  said  Matt

"What’s going on!" Devin said, with his voice filled with concern. 

"My dog, he got trapped in that abandoned house! I was wondering if you could get him out. After all you are the most toughest person I Know, because you never seem to be scared of anything."

"Ok I'll be out in a second. I have to finish getting dressed." Devin said anxiously.
After I got finished dressing I went to the old abandoned house, the door was already open.
"What’s your dog's name? ”I said.

"Chester,” said Matt convinced that I would find him.

So I started to call out his name, Chester...Chester........Chester.....Nothing ,nothing at all, all you could hear was the shabby wooden window hitting the walls because of the wind. I looked in the kitchen...or what was left of it. He wasn't in there so I started to go see if he was in the basement. I found a door, and when I opened it all I could see was a big void of darkness, but if
I had a lighter in my pocket I would be able to see down there, but I knew I couldn't keep the lighter on forever because I would be wasting fluid  and I could burn myself, I said to my self. What can I use to see in such a dark place?".With a questioned look on my face I looked around in that poor excuse for a house. Then I Seen a candle, I pulled out my lighter lit the candle and proceeded down the old creaky stairs.

"Can you see him?!” screamed Matt hoping to get a good answer.

"No." I said in a sad voice wishing to give him a better answer. Chester, I started to call once again. Chester...Che...there you are, you scared Matt half to deaf.” I found him Matt!"

"I knew you could do it, your the best Devin!!!"

When I turned to face the dog my face went from relief to worry. The dog looked like it had seen a ghost I hurried back upstairs, then we left that dump. I didn't want Matt to worry so I didn't tell him what I saw on his dogs face. So I told him not to go near that house ever again. After such an adventure I went home and then plopped myself on the couch, closed my eyes then finally go to slee... ding, dong. What the hell! (Why is everyone up so early in morning in summer, on a Saturday morning). Dragging my self to the door, I tiredly said” Who is it?"

"Its me." A high pinched voice answered.

I opened the door sure it was her.” Hi Rachel."

"Awe  what’s wrong with my favorite boyfriend?!"

"Favorite boyfriend?"

"You know that I’m just teasing you, your the only one for me. What’s wrong with you? You look so exhausted .

(You don‘t say)thinking to my self .“I had a very active morning."

"Well maybe instead of looking so depressed all the time and vegetating in this house you should have a morning routine. You know like jog, walk, run, exercise , you know stuff like that.

" I'll think about it."(she's making it sound like I’m fat!).                   
                                                                       
                                         
                Chapter 2
           
            “Breath Taker”

So I set a time to go have a nice jog around the block a  couple of times. For some reason when I came to that abounded house. I stared at it and wondered what scared that dog. My cell phone went off, waking me up from the deep daze.” Hello" I said.

"I see your awake” said Rachel ,in a half sleep voice herself.

"Yea I took your advice, and started a morning routine."

"Well that’s a change!"

"Do things really change, or are they just the same with a little twist. Because I’m steal working aren’t I ?”

"There you go with over analyzing things again.

“I am not over analyzing things I’m serious because this is not much of a change if I’m working on my break, my boss told me that I work my ass off every day that I come to work so its doing something different but I’m steal working. He said that I needed to relax on my break not find another obsession to work myself to death.”

“Why can't you be the way you were when you were ten years younger , we use to have so much fun together.” She said softly.

"Because I have more responsibility, and my parents were alive then.” He said as if he had to punch out the words.

"Everyone dies, my parents died.” Rachel said trying to sound convincing.

  "YEA BUT DID THEY DIE WHEN YOU WERE A CHILD,WHO THOUGHT THAT EVERYONE WOULD LIVE FOREVER, AND THEN LOST THE PEOPLE WHO ARE THE CLOSEST TO YOUR HEART.” He said interrupting her sentence in the loudest voice he had.” Well were you! He continued. "There was a great silence, and then....click. She hung up the phone in upsetting tears.(What did I do now, I think I went a little to far)I thought to my self.
 
I really need to learn how to be a little more calm. When I was little my father told me, to be a man,” you have to learn how to control your temper", so I guess what he was trying to say was that you can't get ahead by losing yours.

I put some thought into it as I was returning home. I took a nap woke up and getting ready to go over Rachel's house. I knew that it would take a lot of apology to make it up to her. So when I got to her house it looked like the door had been kicked down. I rushed in that house like a bull that had seen red. I hear a scream that kept  getting louder. Next thing I know someone runs me over and I’m on the ground. It was Rachel she looked so shaken. Then she looked at me like she barely knew me. “she told me to get into the car”, and told me to drive to the police station.


                  Chapter 3
                     
                      “It Starts” 
         
  Sitting there trying to confer her when I’m a nerves rack myself, I asked her "What happened?
“Someon..…” she stopped in the middle of her sentence once she looked at me, and then Pulled away from me. I figured that she was still mad at me from that fight that we had earlier.
“I'm sorry, I was coming to apologize, and now this happened. What happened Rachel?’’ I said hoping she would respond.
  She started to talk
“ Five hours after our argument I heard glass break, and then I went down stairs to see what it was. It was a guy in a mask, once I saw him I turned around and started to run up the stairs, but then he grabbed my leg so I kicked him in the face. I ran into my room locking the door behind me, and took out my switchblade and the next thing I know, Bang...I turned around he had blown the lock off the door so ran to him and stuck him in the stomach with the blade. That’s when I ran down the steps opened the door, and crashed into you.
“Wow, you had a exiting morning.” Devin said Sitting there shockingly. 

" This is no time for sarcasm.” She said pale as a dead person.

"Ok I'm sorry." I said regretting, to say that in the first place.

"Excuse me mam We couldn’t find a anything wrong with the house it seemed clean as whistle. " The policeman said.

"What!" she said in a shocking voice." You can’t be serious there were things knocked on the floor glass broken everywhere. “Yea the front door was off its hinged, I saw it. Devin said. I mean he couldn't of and wouldn’t clean the whole house and gotten far I stabbed him in the heart or close to it(Rachel’s voice was getting louder). What kind of person could have gotten up and clean the whole house in five minutes and ran off before you got there. I am not going back there especially if you say there was nothing wrong with that house." She said in an upsetting voice.

“Mam are you sure your ok, you taking drugs?” The police man said in concern.

“Is your mother taking drugs, do you think that I gave these cuts and bursas to my self you ignorant bastard? “She said going off on a rampage.”   

"Calm down. You can stay with me." I said. She started to simmer down.

"That sounds like a plan”.(A really good one, Rachel said in her mind.)

"Of course . Where were you thinking of going?"

" I don't know, any where...anywhere but there or anywhere near there."

"(Who and why would anyone want to attack her she is the most friendly person know, and not just because she’s my girlfriend. Even if she didn't like someone she wouldn't say or do anything to make someone else want them to kill her. This has been a weird summer so far.) I was thinking to my self, while I was looking at her mystified face....as if she was trying to figure out the same thing I was.


                      Chapter 4
         
        “Pieces of The Puzzle” 

                  “(part 1)”

Ah, home at last, me and Rachel started to clean out the because she wanted to get some cleaning done because she has a little obsession. So we go through stuff that belonged to my parents, and I didn’t believe what I found. A journal it had my moms & dads hand writing on the front of it saying “Property of Jordon & Karen”, so I tried to open it up but it had a lock, but that didn’t stop me I was thinking that the lock would be weak after all these years. I was wrong it’s still strong as ever, but I was determined to get that lock open I was searching for the key in the box. Nothing I had found nothing but I wasn’t even emanating of giving up. It was late so I went down stairs then and then I smelled something amazing so I went into the kitchen, and Rachel had made us dinner she made Lausanne, chicken, and macaroni it was all so tasty it was like all of our worries and problems never excised. I guess she  was still a little shaken up because she didn’t make a pep at dinner. After that great meal Rachel went up stairs I put the dishes away because I did not feel like washing dishes any time soon. When I went to go lock the front door I heard a creaking noise I looked down and I seen that the light from the hall was reflecting off of something shiny so I pulled the floorboard up and I found a key.
“A key? What is a key doing under the floorboard uh, I’ll investigate more tomorrow I‘m to tired.” I put the board back in place and turned out the hall light then I went off to bed. In the morning when was not in any mood to get up but as you know I haven’t been as lucky getting any decent sleep since the incident with Matt’s dog, that’s kinda weird.

“WAKE UP YOU LAZY COUCH POTATO!”

“Oh god please help me.”

“COME ON DO YOU THINK THE HOUES IS GOING TO CLEAN  IT’SELF!”

“ I wanted to say something like well maybe if you shut-up I could ask it for you, then would you be happy.”

But I knew if I didn’t want to get slapped retarded then I would just get out of bed and help clean. She seemed to be very enteric today than usual. Once I forced myself out of bed I looked at the key real hard then it came to me that the key was for the journal that I had found yesterday,(sniff sniff  but first I really need to take a shower. So once I got out of the shower I head back to the room  and then I was looking on my stand for the key so I asked Rachel if she knew where the key was She said “Oh you mean that piece of junk I took it out to the garbage”. I raced down the steps went outside “THE GARBAGE MAN”! I had forgotten that it was garbage day, the man had already put all the garbage in his truck and drove off. “And the hits just keep on coming.” I said in a low voice. So then I thought to myself is there really something in that book that was important or was it a dairy packed with loads of heart breaks, lies, and other emotions of my mother or father or was it something was a secret. Come to think of it when I was little my parents always seemed a little secretive ,but I was only 10 maybe I was thinking of a time when my mom &dad were playing hide and seek with me. Still it doesn’t hurt to see if anything valuable is in book…… so now the key is gone …. Well I have one of two options I can earthier go to the dumpster and search through tons of garbage to one little key that has maybe been crushed with other things, or find an alternate way of getting the lock to open. So as Rachel went around the house cleaning like a maniac, I sat down and brainstormed on a way to get the book to reveal its anonyms pages to me. I think I was on the verge of a breakthrouhg but miss cleans-alot made me get of my butt and finish cleaning the attic, haaa will I ever get a break?                               

                       


                                                                              Chapter 5
               
              “SLEEP AT LAST”
         
          “You should get some shut eye and rest any way isn’t that why you got the summer off.” said Rachel. “Yes but you and everyone else is either trapped in a broken down house or getting chased by a killer”. I said sarcastically. “Your right I‘m sorry, go get some rest baby”. Rachel said sympathetically. “So I went in my room and started to go to sleep, at last”. I said.(Rachel starts to tell the story) I closed the door making sure that I didn’t slam it, he seemed so peaceful I know that he had a hard summer so far but I don’t get why he is so obsessed with that book could it be something from his parents or some sort of novel. I went down stairs and found the book so I was going to go and put it in his room. When I going up the stairs and then it fell out of my hand and fell down the flight of stairs when I went to go pick it up but then I had realized something the lock on the book had been broken. I looked at the book in amazement I had done something in 10 seconds that Devin couldn’t open in two days and I did on accident wow. I looked on the first page and there was a picture of Mrs. And Mr. Lyate(pronounced light) Devin’s parents.(It was a beautiful sight)I thought to myself. I bet that Devin will be overwhelmed with  excitement. I continued through the anonymous pages of the book. Then I saw a picture of the whole Lyate family; Mr. Jordon, Mrs. Karen, and Devin. They were all looking so happy in this picture Devin was in his mothers arms and she was standing right next to Mr. Jordon, but then I looked again and saw something in the background but it was kind of blurry. I kept looking through it and I ran into some  journal entries, so it had seem that half of the book contained pictures and the other half journal entries, but there was also a letter in side with the address of that abandoned house down the street. I read one and it read:
February 5, 2007
Dear Jordon,

I have found out some terrible news it appears that you were right all along we are being followed and targeted .


I dropped that letter as soon as I was done with that sentence I couldn’t bare to read any more I don’t know if I should let Devin he will be devastated. I don’t think that Devin should see this letter. Still one thing taunted mine, why where they living apart anyway did it have something to do with the person that was coming after them, or were they just having issues with there relationship? The question floated in my head all day. Then I heard something it was coming from upstairs, so I slowly went up the stairs, they’re the kind of stairs when you walk up them slowly the creak so I going up the stairs bracing myself for anything that might come my way and then I seen Devin fall down the attic stairs and a cloud of dust trying to beat him down the stairs. I was relived that it wasn’t something that could kill us both. I was walking fast toward  him. He yelled stay back witch started to worry me again. Then emerging  from the attic walking down the old wooden steps of the attic was a person….. THE SAME PERSON WHO TRIED TO KILL ME !


                       


               

                      Chapter 6

        “SO WE MEET AGAIN?”


              “Devin come on we have to get out of here”! she said in her loudest voice. Devin got up and started to run alongside Rachel they ran down the steps raced to the door then when they opened it there he was right before there very eyes, they saw… him. So we meet again? His eyes where so….so evil and filled with hate , he went for Rachel, he had grabbed her wrist then without hesitation I grabbed his wrist and then his wrist started to burn it was smoking! He retracted his arm as fast as he could we ran without looking back.(Devin tells the story)We got into the car then backed up whipped the car around then floored it. I drove to the park, one of the places where I thought we would be safe, because there were alot of people around. We sat down, on a bench a kid came along and started to make faces and we  were so shaken up that we  yelled : “GET THE HELL AWAY FROM US !” then the boy stormed away in tears. When we realized that we just scared a little boy we didn’t really feel anything that’s how shaken up we were. We just sat there looking at each other speechlessly then she finally broke the ice and said.

“There are a thousand things running through my mind.”

“What’s one?” I said

“Well how did this whole thing get started?”

Then she looked at me waiting patiently for an answer.

“Well (I started) I was up in my room sleeping and then I heard whispering it sounded like someone was saying that we are being targeted and followed then Rachel’s eyes widened because she read that same thing in the letter. “Then what else?” she said with much enthusiasm. Then I turned to see what the noise was I thought it was you but then I seen some person going through the box where I had found that book. Speaking of the book where is it?! I busted out realizing that I had left the book in the now in that not so safe house. “We have to go back and get it”. I said in concern.

“I think that it’s best that we should just go on with out them”. She said trying to hide the fact that there was more to this situation then she was letting on.
“What are you talking about! First of all go on to where, second of all it’s from my parents it’s the only thing that I have of them and you after six years who knows maybe it has some clues to there mysteries death.(Rachel’s thoughts) If I don’t tell him he be devastated and may go crazy, bit if I tell him he might just stop and go somewhere far away from here or might peruse it more.

“Ok I can’t let you do this to your self!” She blurted out.

“ What are you talking about? Do you know something?!”

“ Yes I do, I opened the book and found a letter inside from your mother to your father it seems that they were living apart.

“What? This is no time for jokes.”

“It’s no joke.”

“ So you really opened the book and fond a letter from my mother to my father in it?”

“Yes and I think someone was after them both.”

“Then that settles it we will go back and get that book and anything else in the box upstairs”.
In his mind:“(I think that there were more letters and other things from my parents that are in that box maybe that’s why he was going through it earlier, what if he took everything that was in that box we have to go and salvage anything that is left the smallest thing would probably help us at this point. So we drove to the house that we thought that we would never go to again at least not in the same day it was 7:23 am I got out of the car and told Rachel to go to the Resort Hotel and check us in and tell them that Devin Lyate has requested a room.

“Requested? What are you talking about?” You can’t just walk in a hotel and ask for a room you have to reserve one. She said baffled about what was going on.

“Just do it ok” he said intensely.   

“What about you ?”
“If I don’t call come back as soon as your done checking in ok but if I call I will need you A.S.A.P. Ok?”

“Fine.”

She drove off in a hurry, I turned to face the house it had a somber look to it, it kind of started to resemble that old abandoned house. Then I remembered Chester, I remembered the gruesome expression on his face. My heart was racing 1000 miles a hour, I made one step toward the house fear hit me like a truck. My legs and knees were shaking valiantly I fell to my knees, I was trembling….. How could I be so afraid I have never felt like this before in my whole entire life. (“If I don’t get to those letters I can be killed by that crazy man, but if I go in that house then that guy might kill me”), I thought to myself. (“I have to go in there”) So I picked myself up and approached the house with caution. I made it to the door and then pushed it open a little at a time then finally the door was fully open.









                                        Chapter7

          “Pieces of the puzzle”
                    “(part 2)”


I started to walk into the house slowly…… creeeeek I looked around quickly then I realized that the mysterious creek came from the floor with from where I was standing. I was showered with relieve, I continued to head toward  the steps taking deep concerned breaths wandering if the breath I just took is going to be my last one. Then I went up the steps with full of worry once I went to the top of the steps I looked around and no one was there the cost was clear so I darted to the attic steps. I looked around frantically for the box of secreats that my mother and father left this world without telling me. I found it  and grabbed the box and then all of a sudden I hear this maniacal laughter I turn to my right and seen him again.I ask him frantically “Who are you and what do you want from me and my girlfriend?” “OH nothing much just your soul that’s all”. His eyes where full of serious, he seemed to be demented, twisted it was nerve reaking.I turned to the steps then flew down, then raced to the door I was now outside the door no one was in site so I just started runing as fast as I could. I was not thinking of where to go just that I needed to get away as fast as I could.       




















© Copyright 2007 akeem (dizzy72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231746-Hidden-Angel