*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231777-Helpless-Hopeless-and-Homeless
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by RMc
Rated: E · Essay · Religious · #1231777
No one’s condition, when seen through the eyes of God, is helpless or hopeless.
Helpless, Hopeless and Homeless

Whoever said that, “less is more”, certainly didn’t have these three words in mind. This unwished-for trio of ‘lesses’ is the dreaded scourge of the world. Even the affluence of America can’t insulate many from experiencing one or more of them at some period in life. Not even the young are immune.

Probably there is no more damaging word to hurl at a child than to pronounce him as helpless. Not so subtle words can stick in the psyche and frequently bear the ugly fruit of inadequacy, inferiority and lack of confidence for many years to come.

The second of the three, hopelessness, has the ability of robbing us of our self-confidence, positive outlook and joy of living. No experience can more assuredly deliver a fatal dose of hopelessness than news of a terminal illness spoken by a trusted physician. For many, hearing these discomforting words places them firmly on the road to despair. Once held optimistic thoughts are quelled and dread rushes in to take its place.

When traveling through any of our major cities, all witness the helpless and hopeless who have subsequently become homeless. Whether this resulting state was the product of bad fortune, mental illness or drug addiction, our hearts respond to those whose lot in life is more than they can bear.

But for those who have been blessed with a good start in life that has afforded an abundance unknown to most of the world, we only attribute these three dreaded words to the lives of the ‘down and outers’. Still many who are not homeless and even appear as enviable, secretly harbor the afflictions of helplessness and hopelessness. It is evident that our visual acuity is short of being perfect when perceiving the inner conditions of another’s heart.

In spite of the comfortable surroundings and pleasing personal conditions that we may enjoy, it is prudent to guard against thoughts that the three “H’s” can only afflict others. No one is immune.

God’s perspective, however, is very different from our own. From His vantage point supported by His omniscience, He sees that in reality, all three of these words universally apply to each member of the human race.  Many would dispute such a statement as their talents and education and wise choices have made them into self-reliant and successful persons in their chosen walks of life. Then how could any of these three possibly apply universally?

While man evaluates and judges from the outward appearance, God sees the very intent of the heart. God is aware that our spiritual condition is hopeless as we are totally helpless to correct our sinful condition.

The Old Testament prophet wrote, "The heart is hopelessly dark and deceitful, a puzzle that no one can figure out. But I, God, search the heart and examine the mind. I get to the heart of the human. I get to the root of things. I treat them as they really are, not as they pretend to be." (Jeremiah 17:9-10)

Jesus also fully recognized our lost human condition. Matthew recorded, “When Jesus saw the crowds, he had compassion on them because they were confused and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.” (Matthew 9:36)

It is our sin problem that creates our hopeless situation. Scripture clearly proclaims that, not only does our sin separate us from God, but that man is totally unable to atone for his own sin. For what other reason would God have sent His Son to suffer and die if it were not necessary? If we are able to effect our own salvation through our own efforts, the death of Jesus was unnecessary. (Galatians 2:21) Repeatedly we are told that we are ‘dead in our sins’ unable to save ourselves. “When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.” (Romans 5:6)

The inevitable result of this spiritual helplessness and hopelessness is eventual eternal homelessness. Once our earthly days have ended and our spirits and bodies disengage, our eternal fate will be set. At that time, only the redeemed will be able to say,
“I’ve a home beyond the river, I’ve a mansion bright and fair,
I’ve a home beyond the river, I shall dwell with Jesus there.”

John the Revelator, in the final book of the Bible, was given a glimpse of the eternal home of the redeemed and said, “I heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, Look, God’s home is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them.” (Revelation 21:3)

Being helpless, hopeless and homeless in this life are handicaps that afflict and torment many. But in comparison to spiritual helplessness, hopelessness and eventual eternal homelessness, they become insignificant. Blessed are those whose sins are forgiven and whose eternal abode is settled. In the words of Jesus, “I give unto them eternal life and they shall never perish. Neither can any man pluck them out of my hand.” (John 10:28)

No one’s condition, when seen through the eyes of God, is helpless or hopeless. But only by accepting God’s free gift of forgiveness can we be guaranteed that we will not be eternally homeless.
© Copyright 2007 RMc (roymccarty at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231777-Helpless-Hopeless-and-Homeless