*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231792-Written-in-the-Stars-Chapter-Four
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · LGBTQ+ · #1231792
The next chapter in story, warning some sexual content

Chapter Four

    From a time before memory the people of the tribe had practiced the rite of the coming of age ceremony. It was a time of great joy for the people when a girl child would become a woman of the tribe. Every year before the fall gathering the new women of the tribe would be initiated by a ritual piercing. This piercing was done to open the passage so that she may receive a child from the gods. The piercing ceremony was a sacred ritual that no man save the Spirit Master may attend. It was believed that like the time of a child's birth the woman's spiritual powers were made stronger during the piercing. The people feared that the woman might steal a man's strength for herself leaving him unable to hunt and provide for his family. Because of this, when a woman's time of bleeding came she was sent to dwell in one of the special huts set aside for this purpose on the outskirts of the village. The newly initiated women of the tribe would be sent there after the festival of the ritual piercing for three days and three nights. Only after that time had passed could any man dare to approach them without fear of loosing his own strength.

    Normally it was the Spirit Master, Black Hawk, who would be performing the ritual piercing of the maidens but this year it had been decided that the Starchild would be the one to do it. Summer would be the one to bless the new women so that babies could enter their wombs and bring new life to the tribe. Because of her position as the Starchild and next Spirit Master of the people Summer would not have to undergo the ritual piercing. She had been initiated as a hunter of the people and therefore had special privileges not allowed to the other women of the tribe.

    Growing up, Summer Rain had seen the ceremony of the piercing many times. This was the first time that she would be performing it herself though. To prepare for the ritual Summer had to send a party hunting to bring back a great stag from the forest. She needed the antlers of a stag in the prime of his life to perform the ritual. Black Hawk and Summer went to the Chief Howling Moon to ask for a special hunting party to be sent out. The beast they choose had to be strong and swift of foot or it would bring ill luck to the women whose wombs were opened by his antlers. Howling Moon readily agreed to send out a party in search of the great stag. His daughter Luna was among the maidens to be blessed at that fall piercing ceremony. He wanted to be sure that the animal the hunters killed would be one worthy of such a sacred ceremony so he said he would lead the men himself.

    It would take two days for the hunters to be purified before they could leave on such a hunt. If they were simply hunting for meat or hides they would not have to be purified first but because it was the stag’s antlers that they sough for a sacred ritual, the hunters must first be cleansed. While the chosen hunters purged their systems of all evil in the sweat lodge, the Spirit Master and his apprentice would be making the proper prayers and offerings to the gods. Black Hawk and Summer Rain would fast and burn the herbs that would send their plea to the heavens for a worthy beast to present himself to the hunters.

    For two days they would not come out of Black Hawks spirit hut. They would not eat, nor would they sleep during that time. At the end of the two days, when they emerged from the hut, the strain of their work showed heavily upon their faces. Black Hawk blessed the hunters and bid them safe journey. The next morning they would leave with the sunrise to search out their prey.

    Luna was in the village circle along with the rest of the people waiting when Black Hawk and Summer emerged from the spirit hut. Her eyes moved instantly to the young woman beside the Spirit Master. A faint smile toughed her lips at the joy of seeing Summer again. The smile quickly faded away as she noticed how weak and tired her beloved had become during her time communing with the gods. Luna longed to run to Summer, to take her in her arms and care for her. She knew that she could not do so though. Summer was the Starchild, the savior of their people. She must not loose face before the tribe by allowing them to see her weakness. Luna knew this but it did not stop the aching in her heart.

    Once the hunting party had received it's blessing and returned to their huts for the evening, Summer bid her grandfather good night and began to slowly make her way back to the hut of her father Stone. Luna watched from the shadows, her friend Sparrow by her side.  "You can not go to her now. Wait until tomorrow when she has had a chance to rest. Then you will see her," Sparrow whispered softly.

    "I just wish I could be the one to care for her. She looks so tired," Luna said.

    "I guess speaking with the gods and spirits must be very hard work. Maybe that is why only a master like Black Hawk can do it," Sparrow said. Seeing her friend was not reassured Sparrow added, "The Starchild is strong, stronger even than Black Hawk. She will be fine come morning. You will see. Come, we must get back before your mother notices we are gone," Sparrow said as she gently pulled on Luna's arm.

    Looking back over her shoulder one last time Luna saw Summer standing at the entrance to her father's hut. Summer smiled and gave Luna a slight nod of her head before turning to enter. ‘Yes she will be okay but I still wish it was I who would care for her,’ Luna thought to herself as she followed Sparrow back to her father's hut.

    It was nearly mid-day when Summer Rain arose from her bed furs. Stretching lazily she got to her feet to greet the day. During her time in the spirit hut, Summer had tried not to think about the actual ceremony to come. She could not bring herself to tell even Black Hawk how nervous she felt about it. She was to be Spirit Master after him and she did not think he would understand her discomfort. To him it was a sacred ceremony, one that had been observed by the people throughout the ages. To Summer it was much more than that. Although she spent most of her time hunting with the men of her tribe or studying with Black Hawk she was still a young woman. All the other girls her age were going to be initiated as women of the tribe at the full of the moon. Had she not been the Starchild, Summer would have been among them. Instead, she was now to perform the ritual. She was to be the one to take the virginity of the other girls, including Luna's. It was Luna that kept Summer constantly questioning if she could do it. For as long as she could remember Summer had been in love with Luna. Had she been born a man she would be preparing to make an offer to the Chief to marry his daughter. Instead she would be the one to open Luna so that another man could plant his seed in her womb. The thought of Luna marrying someone else was almost more than Summer could bear. What right did she have though to stand in the way of Luna's happiness? She could not give her a child to care for. What woman did not want to marry a strong hunter who would give her many children? Sure Summer could hunt and provide meat for her fire. She could give Luna the finest furs and stone beads but she could not give her a baby. That was one thing that Summer could never change. With a heavy sigh Summer pulled on her buckskins and headed out of the hut. ‘It is best not to think of such things,’ she told herself as she headed towards the river to bathe.

    When Summer reached the river there were already a group of women there washing clothes and gossiping along the riverbank. Summer turned to head up river but was stopped short by the old root woman Spotted Fawn calling out to her. "Starchild I would speak with you," Spotted Fawn called as she pulled herself to her feet. Summer was in no mood for the woman but as an elder she deserved Summer's respect. Summer Rain waited patiently for the old woman to make her way up to the path.

    "Howling Moon has taken the men to hunt the great stag for the piercing ceremony," Spotted Fawn said.

    "Yes, they were to leave this morning," Summer said knowingly.

    "We must gather the berries to make the wine for the celebration. It is not safe for the women to travel that far from camp without hunters to protect them," Spotted Fawn said.

    “Have you spoken to Black Hawk about this?" Summer asked.

    "He still sleeps. We must go if we are to have enough time to make the wine before the ceremony," Spotted Fawn insisted.

    Summer ran a hand back through her bangs and frowned. "Very well. Gather the women together while I go to bathe. When I return I will ask Turtle and Squirrel to come with us to help protect the women," Summer said. Turtle and Squirrel were both young hunters who had been disappointed at not having been chosen to go on the stag hunt. Summer was sure that they would agree to escort the women out to the fields so they could collect their berries. Spotted Fawn had not been pleased with the choice of the two young men named.

    "Two boys can not possibly watch so many women safely," she said.

    "Do not worry. Wolf and I shall come as well. Besides it's the best that we can do right now. Either they stand guard or the women must wait for the rest of the men to return," Summer said with a shrug.

    Spotted Fawn looked from the Starchild to the large gray wolf that sat at her heels. "I will tell the women to prepare to leave," she said. Without another word the old woman turned and walked back towards the river and the women who waited there for her.

    After bathing in the cold river water Summer stopped to ask her hunt brothers to accompany her for the day. As she had suspected they were both willing to come along and stand watch. It was a chance for them to be around the young women and maidens for the day. Normally the young men and women of the tribe did not have the chance to spend much time together or really get to know one another before being wed. Summer stopped at the central hearth long enough to get something to eat then returned to the group of gathered women. With her bow slung over one shoulder and a quiver of finely crafted arrows over the other, she strolled up to the group a spear loosely griped in her right hand.

    The group of women had returned to their huts and now had their berry bags slung over their shoulders ready to leave. Turtle and Squirrel were standing by the trail talking with a couple of the younger women when Summer walked over. The wolf that had been happily trotting along at her heels left Summer to search out Luna within the group. While most of the people had come to accept the wolf as part of their village there were a few who still did not trust the animal not to turn on them. Luna's mother Soft Cloud was one of them. To see the large beast at the feet of the Starchild was one thing but to see it robustly greeting her own daughter frightened the woman. Luna laughed as Wolf stood up to put his front paws on her shoulders and lick her face. She had never feared the animal would harm her or anyone else in the village. She knew that Summer would not have brought him back with her if he were dangerous.

    As the gathered group began to make their way out of the village Summer noticed that none of the smaller children accompanied their mother's. Glancing around she saw that most of the older women had chosen to stay behind as well. It was just as well; they would only slow everyone up. Summer had to have the group safely back in the village before nightfall. Since they had gotten such a late start leaving, they would have to hurry if they were to get all the berries they needed and get back before the sun set.

    The berries would be made into a thick sweet wine that the women drank at the celebration of the piercing of the maidens. The girls being opened would be given large amounts of the wine to help them enter a euphoric state where the pain would quickly be replaced with pleasure. There would be music and dancing to awaken the spirits that brought new life to the people. It was the one ceremony that belonged strictly to the women of the tribe. To the women and the Spirit Master that is. Black Hawk would not take part in the dancing or drinking of the sweet heady wine. In the past when he was the one to perform the piercing, he would eat the sacred mushrooms and drink deeply of a special brew of herbs. Once the maidens had been blessed he would leave the women to celebrate throughout the night alone. The newly blessed women would then spend the next three days in the special huts the men had constructed on the outskirts of the village. Once they returned they would be women of the tribe in every way. They could then take a mate of their own.

    As the group walked towards the fields where they knew the berries they sought had always grown, Luna separated from the other girls to walk along side of Summer Rain. The ease with which the two young women walked together was not lost on Soft Cloud. The Chief's wife did not feel at all comfortable with how close the girls had become. She was worried that if Howling Moon did not find a mate for Luna soon that it would become impossible to separate her from the young mystic. She feared that her daughter would never know the joys of being a wife and mother. More than anything, Soft Cloud feared Summer Rain and her powers. Summer's mother Spring Flower had concerns of her own for her daughter's future. Summer was the Starchild, the savior of the people. She had learned to hunt and track along with the boys her age. She had never shown even the slightest interest in the traditional duties the women of the tribe performed. She spoke with spirits and animals. Spring Flower wondered if her daughter would even be free to live a normal life, to have a home and family of her own. As she watched Summer Rain and Luna laughing together at some secret joke, she knew that her daughter would never be truly happy without the young woman at her side.

    Summer, Squirrel and Turtle sat together talking about past and future hunts as they kept a watchful eye on the women gathering their berries in the field. Squirrel looked out across the field to where Luna and Sparrow were working. "I have not told this to anyone else yet but I have decided to ask for Sparrow as my mate at the gathering," Squirrel admitted.

    Summer looked at her friend in surprise. "I didn't even know that you liked her. Why did you never say anything before?" Summer asked.

    Squirrel blushed slightly and shrugged his shoulders. "It is forbidden for any man to be with a maiden not yet a woman of the tribe. She has come of age and at the full of the moon will be made a woman of the people," Squirrel said.

    "Does she feel the same way about you?" Summer asked.

    "I think so," he answered. Summer silently nodded her head but said no more about it.

    "I am thinking that I shall search for a mate at the gathering. There are bound to be lots of pretty young women there who need a husband," Turtle said with a rueful grin.

    "What of you Summer? Will you be searching for a mate?" Squirrel asked.

    "Is that even allowed? I mean you're the Starchild and our people's next Spirit Master," Turtle asked.

    "Black Hawk had a mate," Squirrel pointed out.

    "That's true," Turtle said thoughtfully.

    Summer looked across the field to where Luna was gathering berries. "I don't know yet. I haven't given it much thought," Summer lied. In truth she had been giving it a great deal of thought lately. She knew that she would not mate with a man. It was not in her to be like other women that way. She had the appetite of a man in more than just hunting. She also knew that the only woman she had ever wanted was the Chief's oldest daughter. She wanted Luna but she didn't know if they could be wed. She didn't know if they should be married even if it was allowed. It wouldn't be fair to condemn Luna to a life without the hope of ever having a child of her own. Summer loved Luna too much to limit her that way and yet she couldn't bear the thought of loosing Luna to another hunter.

    Summer was quite, lost in these thoughts for the rest of the day. The women didn't give her mood much thought. She was after all, the chosen one. They assumed that she had more important things on her mind like rituals and sacred potions. Turtle and Squirrel too were use to Summer's apparent preoccupation with her own thoughts. They had been hunt brothers for almost ten years. They knew Summer Rain better perhaps than most people in the tribe did. Only Black Hawk and Luna knew her better than her hunt brothers. It was getting dark by the time the women and their guards returned to camp. Black Hawk had been pleased when he had heard that Summer had taking a couple of the young hunters along to watch over the women. He had been thinking about what he should do about gathering the berries in time himself. Now that it was done he was free from the question of how to protect the women with so few hunters left in the village.

    Once the group had all safely returned Summer and her wolf headed down to the river to be alone. She had so many questions and she had gone to search for the answers in the swiftly running waters of the river. It was here that Black Hawk found his granddaughter lost deep in thought. Slowly the old Spirit Master lowered himself to the ground, his joints creaking in the effort. "What troubles you daughter?" he asked.

    "I have questions that I wish to ask," Summer answered.

    "Ask them and if I can I will answer," Black Hawk said.

    "Squirrel asked if I would be searching for a mate at the gathering," Summer began.

    "What did you answer him?" Black Hawk asked with great interest.

    "I lied and said that I had not given it much thought," Summer admitted with a sly smile.

    "But you have thought about it," Black Hawk said knowingly.

    "Yes I have," Summer said.

    "And what have you decided?" Black Hawk had tried to sound unconcerned but Summer sensed his uneasiness.

    "Nothing…yet. I am not like the other women Black Hawk. I will never take a man into my bed furs and there has never been a joining between two women before. I do not know if such a thing has ever been considered," Summer said.

    Black Hawk looked thoughtfully at the water passing by. "I am afraid that I do not know if such a union would be allowed. There would be no hope of a child in such a marriage," Black Hawk said, his words mirroring Summer's own thoughts. "Is there a woman that you wish to be joined to?" he asked carefully.

    "Perhaps," Summer answered and would offer no more information.

    "Summer, if you are thinking of joining with Luna I would suggest you look elsewhere for a mate. She is the Chief's eldest daughter and he has no sons to follow him. Her mate would one day be leader of the tribe. You are destined to be Spirit Master. No one person could hold both positions and give each the attention that they deserve," Black Hawk said. Tenderly he laid a hand on Summer's knee. "I know how you feel about her. I am sorry but you must follow your destiny," he said. Summer nodded her head solemnly in understanding.

    "Master would you still ask the spirits if I may take a woman to be my mate?" Summer asked.

    "Yes I will ask. Perhaps the other Spirit Masters will have an answer for us when we reach the gathering," Black Hawk said.

    "Perhaps." Summer agreed.

    It was another four days until the hunting party returned to the village carrying the antlers of the great stag. The women rejoiced at the sight of the large strong antlers that would be used to pierce the maidens and bring new life to the tribe. Howling Moon presented the rack to Black Hawk but the old man shook his head. "It is the Starchild who will be Spirit Master over the ceremony. She should be the one to accept the offering for the tribe," Black Hawk told his son. Howling Moon was Chief but even he could not dare to question the orders of the Spirit Master. Turning from his father Howling Moon bowed and presented the rack of antlers to Summer Rain. There was a collective murmur from the tribe as Summer accepted the gift. This was the first time anyone had heard that Summer would be the one to perform the ritual piercing of the maidens. Soft Cloud looked at her eldest daughter and sighed. There was now nothing she could do to prevent Luna from being with Summer. She would know the young mystic's touch and it would bind them together too tightly for any man to come between them. Of this, Soft Cloud had no doubt. As Summer finished repeating the words of thanks to the hunters, as custom demanded, her eyes scanned the faces of the gathered group searching for Luna. Luna's face was unreadable. Summer swallowed over the lump that had risen in her throat. She wondered if she should have told Luna herself when they were alone. It was too late now.

    Summer took the antlers into Black Hawk's spirit hut to examine them more closely. She needed to find the best antlers on the rack so she could collect them and begin preparing them for the ceremony. "Let's see…there's Sparrow, Little Fawn, Willow, Jade and Luna. That makes five maidens who are to be blessed at this years ceremony," Summer said aloud to herself. Summer looked at the antlers thoughtfully. There were several possible good choices. She needed to make sure that the antlers she chose were the proper length and thickness. They had to be perfect, without any chips or marks on them. Once Summer made her choices she began to carefully cut the antlers off of the rack. She cut them as close to the rack as she could, making sure not to diminish the length of each antler in the process. Since she would need five for the ceremony Summer cut off seven so she would have a couple extra in case she made a mistake in working them.

    It was late when Summer emerged from the spirit hut. Most of the tribe was already inside their huts for the night. Summer was startled to find Luna waiting for her in front of Stone's hut. "It is late. You should not be out here alone," Summer said.

    "I am not alone. Wolf is with me," Luna countered. Summer looked at the animal but said nothing. "Why did you not tell me?" Luna asked.

    "I don't know," Summer said.

    "Was it a secret, something that you had to wait for the Spirit Master to announce?" she asked.

    "No it was not that," Summer said as she sat down on the log beside Luna.

    "Then why?" Luna asked again.

    "I should have told you myself. I'm sorry. I just wasn't sure how to say it. I didn't know how you would feel about it," Summer admitted.

    Luna looked at Summer with a mixture of surprise and bewilderment. ‘Is it ready possible that she doesn't know how I feel about her?’ Luna wondered. "You were afraid to tell me then?" Luna asked. Summer shrugged and kicked at a pebble with the toe of her moccasins. "I did not think that you were afraid of anything," Luna said softly. Summer was grateful for the darkness that hid the blush that rose to her cheeks. Luna gently put her hand on Summer's knee and said, "I am glad that you will be the one to perform the ceremony,” their eyes met and Luna felt her heart pounding wildly in her chest. She loved Summer more than she had thought it possible to love another person. She would gladly follow Summer Rain to the very ends of the world and beyond. Feeling a bit overwhelmed Luna used the excuse of having to get back before her father noticed she was gone to leave. Without another word she turned and quickly left.

    Summer looked at the wolf at her heels. "Go with her boy. Make sure she gets home safely,” Summer said. The large wolf got to his feet and trotted after Luna.

    For the next few days Summer didn't see much of Luna. They both had preparations that they had to make before the ceremony at the full moon. Summer spent most of her time carving and sanding the ritual antlers. She burned the proper herbs over the antlers and beseeched the gods to bless them to their purpose. When she was finally done the antlers had been highly polished and carved with intricate symbols. Summer had rubbed oil into each antler until it was slick and shining.

    On the day before the ceremony Summer went alone into the forest to pray for strength and guidance. The spirits sent her a vision. In the vision Summer saw herself, her face painted in black and red. On her arms and legs there were other symbols painted, symbols of life and power. The vision told her to paint the tribal symbols of fire and water on each of the maiden's before opening them up to the spirits to enter and bring new life. This had never been done before. Summer wondered if she should be the one to try to change the old ways. A ghostly voice answered her in the wind. "You are the Starchild. You will lead the people into a new life. It is your destiny," the voice whispered.

    Once again Summer found herself wishing that she were not the chosen one. She had so many self-doubts. She wished that just once she could be like everyone else but she could not. Summer knew she could not escape her fate so she set about collecting the things she would need to mix the paints. Change did not come easy for the people. They would not like it if Summer deviated from the traditional ceremony but she had to obey the voice of the spirits.

    The day of the ceremony the village was a buzz of activity. The men were busy building the platform and setting up the ritual alter for the ceremony. The ceremony would take place in a clearing in the forest a short distance away from the village. The torches were set and the giant fire laid. The women busied themselves with arranging the feast and the numerous skins of heady sweet wine. The drums were in place; the musicians knew their parts. They would celebrate until the morning light. Then once the newly blessed women were escorted to the huts of blood the others would return to the village. The celebration began with a great feast. The women ate hungrily breaking their fast for the first time since the previous day. Summer was not among them. As the Spirit Master for the ceremony she would not arrive until after the moon had risen high in the evening sky.

    As the women feasted and drank deeply of the sweet wine Summer Rain was a short distance away in the woods preparing for her role. She began by eating four of the vision producing mushrooms. When she could begin to feel the spirits overtake her mind she lifted the flask of specially brewed herbal tea to her lips. Spirit Masters had used this tea for as far back as memory could recall producing a euphoric state of heightened passion. Since the Spirit Master traditionally mated with several of the young women during the ceremony the herbal mix was helpful in keeping him aroused for long periods of time. The potion brought about a fire in the loins and in the mind when drank in large quantities. It was only used for fertility rituals such as the piercing of the maidens.

    Among the people it had always been considered good luck if a maiden became pregnant at the ceremony of her opening. It was seen as a sign that prosperous times lay ahead for the tribe. Although no such signs of fortune could come of the mating between the young mystic and the maidens the people still expected that they would mate after the piercing. It was part of the traditional blessing.

    Many people had mixed feelings about this. Some said that since no new life could come of the mating between the Starchild and the maidens that it was wrong. Some were simply disturbed by the thought of their daughters, sisters or girlfriends mating with another girl. Summer wasn't exactly happy about this either. She had never lain with another girl before. Summer was nervous about doing so now, especially since Luna would be there. Summer would have to mate with the woman she loved only to prepare her for her future spouse.

    After the feasting the slow steady beating of the drums began. The drums beat to the rhythm of the heart. The large central fire burned brightly in the clear spring evening. All eyes turned towards the platform awaiting the arrival of the Starchild. The gathered women were already beginning to feel the effects of the strong heady wine they had been drinking. There was great anticipation for the young mystic to appear and signal the beginning to the ceremony. The drums beat faster building the tension as the moments passed. As they reached a fevered pace the women collectively sank to their knees to pay homage to the Spirit Master. Suddenly in a puff a smoke Summer Rain appeared before them. The women gasped in awe as they saw her. Her face was painted black except for the wide bans of blood red that covered her eyes and mouth. Summer was naked and her body was covered in painted symbols of power and fertility. Draped over her shoulders was a cape made from the hide of the great spirit buffalo. Tied around her waist, standing out erectly like a man's member was the horn of life. The horn was carved from the tusk of a giant mammoth to look like a phallus but it was larger than that of most men. Her body shone in the firelight from the oil that had been rubbed into her skin.  In her left hand she held the staff of the Spirit Master.

    Behind her there was a small stool set beside the altar. On the stool were the sacred antlers that Summer would use to open each of the maidens. Each antler had been carved and blessed for a particular young woman. When the ceremony was completed the new women would be given the antler as a symbol of fertility. The altar was a large flat stone that stood about waist high. There were leather straps at each of the four corners used to tie the young maidens down while they were being opened. A short distance away from the platform there was a curtain hung around a pile of bed furs. It was tradition for the maidens to be pierced on the altar before all the gathered women to witness. The mating would be done in relative private behind the curtains afterwards.

    Spring Flower was greatly surprised by how different her daughter looked. Most of the gathered women had seen Summer wearing body paint at the buffalo hunt but this was different. She was different. It was clear to all who saw her that the spirits were strongly with her. It didn't even look like Summer Rain standing before them. She was now the Starchild and none doubted her power. Luna's heart beat fiercely in her chest as she gazed up at the young mystic. There was no fear, only a yearning in her soul to be possessed completely by the powerful Spirit Master before her. Luna had never known such desire before.  She had never longed for the touch of any man the way she wanted the Starchild now. Silently she whispered a prayer of thanks to the gods for sending Summer Rain into her life. For even now she knew it was Summer that she ached for and not merely the Starchild.

    Summer motioned and women rose from their knees to face her. She spoke the traditional words of the piercing ceremony just as her grandfather and his father before him had done back throughout the ages. The drums began to beat again. The flutes made of the leg bones of birds joined in. As the music grew louder the women began to dance around the huge fire. Spotted Fawn, as the oldest woman in the village did not dance. Instead she remained by Summer's side to assist her in the ceremony. She would bring the maidens to the altar when it was their turn to be blessed. The women continued to dance, the tempo growing faster and more urgent as they went. Summer stood unmoving on the platform watching as the young maidens swirled by leaping into the air as they went. The mother's of the maidens to be blessed gave their daughters more of the wine to drink as they passed by. The heat of the fire mixed with the warm spring night and the exertion of the dance made the sweet wine work it's heady magic quickly. The girls were becoming drunk with passion and anticipation of what was to come.

    Spotted Fawn stepped down from the platform and moved towards the fire. Taking Jade by the arm she gently led the intoxicated girl to the platform. Spotted Fawn guided Jade to lye on the altar then proceeded to tie the girl's arms over her head. Spreading the girl's legs wide she then ties the leather straps about her thighs so that she was ready to be opened by the Starchild. Summer picked up her bowl of black paint and moved to stand before the altar. With her back turned to the onlookers Summer quickly painted the tribal symbol of fire on Jade's right thigh. Next she painted the symbol of water on her left thigh. "Fire brings warmth to our shelters. It cooks the meat that we eat. It brings strength and protection to the people. Water is the source of all life. It makes the plants grow. It quenches our thirst. Water makes all things clean and new again. Without fire and water there would be no life," Summer said.

    The dancing had stopped as the gathered women turned to watch the young mystic perform the ritual piercing. "Jade, you have come of age and must take your place as a woman of the people. I ask you now what do you offer for the life of the tribe?" Summer asked.

    "I offer my heart to the people, my soul to the gods, my blood for the life of the tribe," Jade answered the age-old question.

    Summer picked up the antler she had made from the stag's rack for Jade. Moving purposely to the end of the altar she stood between Jade's outstretched thighs. "Then accept this blessing on behalf of the people," Summer said. With careful procession Summer slowly inserted the antler between the maiden's legs. She paused as she felt the barrier within. Pulling back slightly Summer then quickly thrust the antler deep within the girl opening her womb so new life may begin there. Summer laid a steadying hand gently on the newly blessed woman's stomach until the pain of the moment passed. Then moving in slow steady strokes she moved the antler back and forth inside of her as she said the ritual prayer to the gods to grant this new woman a long life and many healthy babies.

    When Summer removed the antler there was blood staining the tip that now began to mark the woman's thighs. The gathered women cried and cheered as Jade was untied from the altar. She was now a woman of the people and could take a mate for herself. The music and dancing began once again. One by one Spotted Fawn would come forth and guide each of the maidens to take her place on the altar. Each time it was the same. The music stopped until the newly opened woman was released from the alter, then it would begin again until the next was chosen. In between the women would dance and drink as they celebrated the blessing of the maidens.

    As the Chief's daughter Luna was the last maiden to receive her blessing from the Spirit Master. She trembled with anticipation as Spotted Fawn led her to the altar stone. The sweet heady wine mudded her thoughts but her senses seemed more alive than ever as she allowed herself to be strapped down to the altar. Her glazed eyes fixed on the image of the Starchild standing before her. A faint smile tugged at her lips. She had wanted this all of her life and never knew it until this moment. She wanted to feel the hands of the Starchild on her naked quivering body. She wanted…Summer.

    Summer drank deeply of the herbal tea mixture draining the skin. She took a deep steadying breath and turned to face the altar. Picking up the bowl of paint she moved to stand between Luna's outstretched legs. She dared not look into Luna's eyes for fear it would weaken her resolve. ‘I must do this,’ Summer told herself silently. Placing her left hand on the inside of Luna's right thigh she bent down to paint the symbol of fire upon it. Luna could not control the trembling in her legs at the touch of Summer's strong but gentle hand. She closed her eyes and prayed for the strength to be patient. Summer quickly finished painting the symbol for fire then taking Luna's left thigh in her hand she
began to draw the symbol for water. When she had done this for the other maiden's it had been quick unsteady strokes of her fingers that made the symbols. Now with Luna she took her time making sure the symbols were strong and clear.

    Placing the bowl of paint aside she moved to stand beside the altar. Looking down into the eyes of her one true love Summer began to repeat the statement of ritual. "Luna, you have come of age and must take your place as a woman of the people. I ask you now what you offer for the life of the tribe?" Summer said, her voice thick with emotion.

    Luna gazed up into Summer's eyes as tears of joy spilled down her cheeks. "I offer my heart to the people, my soul to the gods, my blood for the life of the tribe," Luna said softly. Summer Rain nodded her head briefly then moved to pick up the sacred antler.

    The antler she had made for Luna was more intricately carved than the ones she had made for the other maidens. Slowly she stepped to the end of the altar stone between Luna's legs. "Then accept this blessing on behalf of the people," Summer said. Laying her left hand on the girl's thigh Summer moved to enter her. Luna bit her lip to keep from crying out but not from pain. Summer could feel the tip of the antler pressing against the barrier within and she paused. She did not want to hurt Luna.

    Once again a voice inside her head whispered, "You must do this. You are the chosen one." Summer hated to admit it but she knew the voice was right. Pushing her feelings aside Summer drew back the antler and thrust it through the barrier. Luna's breath drew in sharply as her back arched off the altar to meet the onward thrust. Summer's hand tightened slightly about the girl's thigh to steady her then slowly glided up to rest on her stomach. Once the initial wave of pain had begun to pass Summer moved the antler in long, slow, deep strokes inside of Luna as she repeated the ritual prayer to the gods to grant her long life and many children.

    Summer carefully withdrew the antler and held it up for all to see the bloodstained tip. Placing it aside she began to untie Luna's legs while Spotted Fawn removed the leather bindings from the new woman's wrists. The Starchild would not meet the Chief's daughter's eyes as she let her up. She had done her duty to her people and the spirits but she hated herself for it. She was sure that Luna would hate her too for hurting her.

    As Luna stepped off the platform her mother came forth to embrace her. Her daughter was now a woman! Soft Cloud knew she must have Howling Moon find a suitable mate for Luna as soon as possible. ‘Once she takes a husband she will forget all about this childish crush she has on the Starchild,’ Soft cloud told herself. Even as her mind formed the thought she knew it was a lie.

    Feeling drained and disheartened Summer sat down on the edge of the platform to watch as the celebration continued through the night. The women drank, danced, ate and laughed with abandon. There were no men to see and for that one night they were all free to simply enjoy themselves. They laughed like children with heady delight. They danced and they drank heavily of the sweet wine. By midnight many of the women were deeply intoxicated. They would remember little of that night's events come morning. Summer too was feeling the effects of the mushrooms and herbal mix. The pounding of the drums and the trilling of the flutes brought about a fire in her blood as she watched the naked women dance. One by one she had the newly blessed women brought to her bed behind the curtains. She had taught them the pain of mating. Now she must teach them the pleasures of it.

    Summer stood waiting with baited breath behind the curtain for Spotted Fawn to bring Luna to her. She had lain with the other newly blessed women because she was expected to. Now she would lye with Luna because she wanted to. She wanted to feel Luna's body moving beneath her, to feel the softness of her skin. She wanted to taste her lips and feed her soul with the sight of her beloved's body. Summer wanted to know every curve, every inch of her. All night she had devoured the sight of Luna with her eyes. Now she would finally be able to do so with her hands and mouth. A shiver of anticipation ran up her spine as she waited for Luna to come to her. The Starchild took a long deep breath to steady herself. She wanted Luna but she also wanted to take things slow and gently. She wanted to please Luna as much as she sought to ease her own need for the young woman.

    Slowly the curtain opened and Luna stepped inside. Summer was struck mute by the sheer beauty of her love. Their eyes met in a long silent moment. Neither girl spoke a word but instead melted into a passionate embrace as they kissed. Gently Summer eased Luna down on the bed furs and moved to cover her body with her own. Their need for one another was too great to delay. Luna's hands encircled Summer's waist pulling her forward as the kiss deepened. Summer reached down to guide the horn of life into the young woman's waiting opening. Luna moaned as the horn slide deeply into her. She arched up against Summer's body wanting to be possessed completely by her love. She gave herself over to the passion as Summer moved against her in slow rhythmic strokes. Her cries of ecstasy echoed across the clearing as the drums played on and the women danced.

    After the moment of release had passed Summer laid beside Luna on the furs softly kissing her lips and face. Luna turned and laid her head on the Starchild’s shoulder as she wrapped a possessive arm about her waist. "I wish we could stay like this forever," Luna admitted.

    "Really?" Summer asked in surprise. Luna rose up so she could look down at Summer's face.

    Tenderly she reached out to caress her cheek. "Really. Don't you know by now that I love you Summer?" Luna said.

    "I…I love you too Luna. I always have," Summer admitted. Before long the two lovers were deep in the throws of passion once again. There they remained until exhaustion lulled them to sleep in one another's arms.

    As the sun began to make it's way over the top of the mountains turning the sky from darkness to light Spotted Fawn called out for the Summer to arise. "It is morn. The new day is upon us. It is time for the new women to go to the huts of blood and for us to return to the village," Spotted Fawn said. Unwillingly Summer and Luna arose and went to join the others. It would be three days and three nights before they would see each other again.

    For Luna the time passed happily as she thought of the life she would share with Summer once that they were wed. For Summer the time did not pass so pleasantly. She found herself preoccupied with thoughts of the night she had spent with Luna. She longed to be with her again but she also knew that she could not be. Black Hawk was right when he had said that no one person could be both Chief and Spirit Master to the people. Summer must become the next Spirit Master just as Luna must marry the next Chief of the tribe. There was no escaping their destinies. Howling Moon would find a mate for Luna at the gathering and Summer would not lye with her again. It was a bitter truth to face for Summer. Still it was one she had to accept. One night was all they could ever share together. Luna would take a mate and have children. In time she would forget but the Starchild would not. She would carry the memory of her love with her for the rest of her days.

© Copyright 2007 lezfiction (lezfiction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231792-Written-in-the-Stars-Chapter-Four