*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1232896-Down-by-the-River-I-Learned-a-New-Tune
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1232896
I lovely reminiscence of the dear old Grandpa.
Down by the river I learned a new tune from grandpa.

At first, one wouldn't think much o' ol' Grandpa, besides he's reserved, shy, or just a stuck-up old guy.  Though he isn't very talkative and, if so, speaks roughly, I know he has a soft side.  I've caught a glimpse of it here and there.  When he picks up our kitty and gently sweet talks to him or when he smiles through his deep wrinkles and leathery skin at us kids or when he and grandma link arms as they walk. Yes, I know he has that sweetness in him somewhere.  Also, around Grandpa you better watch how you word things.  He'll always find something you miss-worded and take it literally, though not seriously, which can get frustrating sometimes.  However, he seems to be an intelligent, wise, experienced man of whom I learn more of everyday.  I don't think it can be possible, but he must know everything.  Not ever, in all the years I've questioned him, has he ever been wrong or not known the answer.  If you ever got a question, you betcha Grandpa will know, or, if you're ever bored, waitin' on water to boil, I betcha Grandpa be'd willin' to tell ya a great story.  He's must've experienced everythin' in his long years that I don't know he'd ever run out of a good story.  Yes, ol' Grandpa's done it all.  I hear, may not be true but, he's been to every continent. 
"I's sailed all the seven seas!" he would say. And if you asked exactly what he meant, he'd give you such an answer you'd be chewin' for a good long while (as with most his answers).  And, oh, how he could whistle.  He could whistle so beautifully I was jealous.  Just about everyday you'd here him whistling some sweet melody that you'd never heard before that mornin'.  I never could whistle as good as he could.  Just the other day, we were all fishin' down by the river, and Grandpa started his whistlin'.  I was hopin' for a good story, but this time his tune was differrent then any other tune.  It was so calming and peaceful that no body fidgetted impatiently waitin' for a bite or got bored and twiddled with the grass but just sat in lull listening to the sweetest tune that ever did caress their ear.
© Copyright 2007 Paige Longship (litchic07 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1232896-Down-by-the-River-I-Learned-a-New-Tune