*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233352-Bottels-of-Life
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by JMB
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1233352
A strange store containing ever stranger items appears over night.
The jars, bottles, toys, pranks, magic and other things smothered his walls. It was almost impossible to see anything behind those strange, oddly shaped objects. This one was from Argentina, over there is one all the way from Japan and right next to it was from Toronto. He had at least one item from any place you could imagine, at least that is what he led most of his customers to believe. The most recent addition was placed on to one of the shelves only a couple of short hours ago.

Joseph walked among his shop getting ready for his lunch brake. He strolled over to the rest room to wash up a bit. After tiding up he went back to his desk.

A small chain of bells chimed as the front door swung open. Joseph quickly grabbed his crutches and slipped on his false cast, which were basically two halves that
usually snapped together. He looked at his visitor. It was a new face. The man was breathtakingly tall with bright colored clothing, sunglasses that slowly became transparent, short; brown hair, heavy tan and pleasant smile. “Hello,” said Joseph.

“Hey,” replied his guest.

“Can I help you with anything?”

“Yeah ya can.”

“What do you need?”

“I need you ta sit there until I need ya.”

Joseph laughed like a yawning lion. “Let me show you around a bit,” he said after a short while.

“OK.”

The storeowner hopped down his ramp, pumped the beat up crutches with his arms and swung his body over to the newcomer. “What kind of things are ya interested in?”

“Whatever strikes my eye.”

“You’re witty, I like that,” Joseph replied with another laugh.

“Thanks,” his guest replied with the same big, old, happy grin.

They made their way to the back of the shop. “Pretty nice collection ya got here,” Joseph’s newest victim of his game commented.

“Thanks. Most of ‘em I got when I used to travel. That was before the accident. I’m practically getting rid of all of my treasures now, it’s all I can afford”

“Really? What happened?”

“Car crash. It was hard on the entire family. We can’t even pay all the medical bills. If we don’t make any money soon, we’ll be evicted from our house,” he said as he began to work up some tears.

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Every one the comes through that door is.”

“At least they have a heart, right.”


There was brief silence. They stared at all of the merchandise. “Find anything of interest?” Joseph asked shattering the noiseless peace.

“How ‘bout this?” his friend asked as he picked up a hand blown bottle.

“That’s one of my most valuable pieces.”

“Is it?”

“You have no idea. I got it from Germany. I’ll tell you what; I’ll give you a deal. A hundred bucks.”

“A hundred?”

“Yep”

“That seems like quite a bit.”

“It’s a good deal, trust me. I won’t go any lower.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t exactly have that kind of money,”

“I’m sure you have more than I do. I’m just trying to support my family!” he sobbed

“I know.” his friend sighed.

“Do you want it?”

“Yeah.”

“Then give me the money.”

“But.”

“Take it or leave it.”

There was no reply from the other person. Joseph continued his speech, “For my family, please.”

The visitor grabbed a little black wallet from his back pocket. He tossed the money at Joseph’s feet and stormed off with the bottle. “Thank you!” the store manager cried after him.

The door slammed shut, the bells played a tune behind it. Joseph set the crutches on the shelf and removed his cast. He bent over and picked up the cash.

Lunchtime.

He gathered two hundred dollars and tucked it in his pocket. Then he walked over to the front door changed his sign so it said “out to lunch,” and made sure no one saw him without his cast. After that he gathered his crutches, put on the cast and walked out the door.

Lunchtime, according to Joseph, was to find the quickest meal and then search for something to buy and resell at ridiculously high prices. He knew right where to go. There was a small place that was right next to a fast food restaurant. He had bought quite bit of items from there including the last thing he had sold, in fact, he got it yesterday.

However, today things would be different. While he was on his way something caught his attention. It was a store. It was across the street from where his shop was. He had never seen it before. It was just there. There was no warning of its arrival. It had just appeared, as if overnight.

He stared at it. He figured he would check it out after he ate. He began to walk down the street. Something caused him to change his mind about food. It was the display window. The items held within it beckoned him, hypnotized him. He could make a fortune with some of them. It was a miraculous showcase. Hunger was no longer on his mind. He needed to go inside.


The interior of the building was very inviting. Soft, dim light illuminated each row with a warm, playful glow. A fireplace in the middle of building gave off soothing heat while the flames waved as each guest entered. It was set up like a simple maze making it impossible to over look anything. The shelves were all of shiny oak as were the walls. One would almost think that they were gazing at someone’s own personal collection in his or her own little cabin. The aroma of pine and oak fluttered in every direction. It was set up so effectively it was impossible to come out empty handed. One needed to come out with something. The entire store was a sly salesman.

As Joseph walked through the store he noticed one thing in particular. It was the prices. They were ridiculously low. Every thing was at wholesale prices. It was impossible to make a living like this. The whole ordeal was absurd. One would lose money faster than they could make it, always.

He slowly continued to make his way through. His eyes scanned back and forth, eager to spot merchandise. He gradually made it to the back.

It was hard to pick out what he wanted to buy. He could make easy money with any thing here, especially when he combined stress with pity, like he always did. He laughed at how easily he could manipulate people in to giving him more cash than necessary. He was a healthy bachelor and one of the wealthiest people in town, which not a single soul was aware of. No one really knew who or what he was, beside himself.

He looked up toward the back. One small area was amplified to a much greater brightness using the lights. It created an angelic halo. He approached it. A sign hung above the shelves. Large friendly letters were printed on it stating “bottles of Life.” the showcase did contain bottles. The most beautiful ones ever created. He picked one up. It was in the shape of a fairy with a hole in its head used for a small cork. It was more realistic than life its self. Each strand of shiny, transparent hair that was on her head looked as if the smallest gust of wind would have blown them away. Her eyes looked at him no matter where he held it. Joseph knew it was nothing but glass but he still waited for it to fly away. “I could make a killing with these,” he said to himself.

“Find anythin’ of interest?” A familiar voice asked from behind him.

Joseph changed his line of vision from the bottle to the source of the voice. Right in front of him was the last person to visit his shop. “Oh, hello.”

“Long time no see, huh?”

“Yeah, very long indeed,” he replied with nervous laugh

The other guy repeated, “find anythin’ of interest?” as he placed a familiar object on the shelf. It was the bottle he had just bought. It did not belong with the rest of them. It was too ordinary.

Joe noticed him place it among the other bottles. He wanted to say something, but he figured it would be best not to. They were both playing the same game.
“I’d like this,” he said as he held up the glass fairy.

“That’s one of my most valuable pieces,” his friend said in a sarcastic tone of voice.

“What do you want for it?”

“Do ya really want to know?”

“Yes.”

He chuckled a bit before stating, “your life.”

“What?” Joe asked with a quivering voice.

“I want you’re life.”

“No, no, no,” he said as he began inching backwards.

“Yes, yes, yes.”

“I’ll give you all of my money.”

“All of the items that are labeled ‘Jars of Life’ sell for something that is actually valuable. Little pieces of paper mean nothing to me, apparently you must feel the same way since you’re so willing to give it away,” the man said as he followed Joseph, “do you want it?”

“Yes,” Joseph replied as he backed into one of the shelves causing some items to crash to the floor.

“Then give me what I asked for.”

“I can’t,” Joseph said as he put down the bottle.

“Suite yourself.”

Joseph began to make his way back, forgetting his crutches, to the front of the shop to leave this terrible place.

He stopped. He looked back at the bottle. It beckoned him. He slowly headed back towards it. He wanted to run but he could not. Its beauty was seducing him. He was being called to grope every inch of her glass body. “I’ll take it,” he said.
The man looked up at Joseph as he placed the last object that fell back into its proper position. “Ah, I knew you couldn’t resist,” he replied, “Follow me,” he said as he gave a polite bow.

Joseph listened to him because he needed the fairy. The very thing in his hands was going to his. She was more precious to him the than all the rubies, gold and silver combined. It was more attractive than any woman he had ever laid eyes on was. He had never been this happy since he had been born. It was the most incredible artifact known to man and it was going to be his. He would make sure it would always be safe and that no one would touch it. He would protect it with his life. It was his.

“Would you please come down here,” the other person commanded courteously while he bent over and lifted an elegant rug off the floor, reviling a small trapdoor. He reached for the latch and began pulling it up to unveil the dark, seemingly endless abyss. A peculiar sent oozed from the newly formed cracks. Joseph could not determine what it was, but he did not care as long as he got what he came for.
“Pardon the smell, that has a tendency to happen when it sits for awhile,” the leader apologized.

Joseph made no reply. His friend flicked on a light causing him to squint in immense pain. However he continued to observe his new treasure.

In the middle of the room there was a small, hard, wooden chair. Thin, hollow tubes wrapped around it like a snake strangling its prey. Needles dangled at the ends of each one. Leather straps on the legs and armrests waited for him. Joseph was too blind with his materialistic lust to notice the shelves lining the walls; each filed with the same fantastic bottles that he had seen earlier. He did not see that each one was filled with blood. Even if he had he would not care.

The bottle was his.
© Copyright 2007 JMB (pickacard at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233352-Bottels-of-Life