*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233563-Berthas-Kitchen
Rated: E · Short Story · Spiritual · #1233563
A son comes home to his mother. (Spiritual)
Bertha’s Kitchen

Bertha likes her kitchen. All of the appliances look like they were made in 1945, so she is comfortable with everything. But it is all new and nothing ever breaks, like things did in the “Other Place” in the “Time Before.” She likes that it grows when she needs it to be bigger. Most days, when she is just cooking for herself and her husband Paul, it is kind of small and they will sometimes drink their coffee at her kitchen table. Other times like today, when her house is full with family and friends, then it expands.

All she has to do is think about it and her kitchen grows to meet her needs. Earlier this morning she actually had three ovens and two full sets of stove top burners, and more warmers than she could shake a stick at, all going at the same time. She needed all of it too, just to get a full meal out for everyone. Now everything is on her side board. She knows that the pork loin, the potato pancakes, the braised cabbage, the fresh hot apple sauce, the gravy and biscuits and all of the desserts are finished and will stay warm and ready for everyone to enjoy.

Bertha is at her kitchen sink, washing, peeling and cutting apples for her Waldorf salad, something her boys always liked when she served it in the “Place of Time and Hard Work.” As she prepares her salad, she hears her girls, Jo Ann, Josie and Mary in her dining room putting her favorite china out around the table that grows to seat all of her guests. Martha, her step daughter is right in there with them, helping set the table and arrange all of the gifts.

Bertha thought that it was funny how all of the girls had chosen to be 21 years old today. They seemed to make the same choices on most things like that. She herself decided it would be more important to be 35; after all, today she would be the mother of the guest of honor, so a little more dignity would be in order.

As Bertha continued making her salad, she could hear her husband entertaining everyone in the front parlor. Her sister in law Bessie was there as were her neighbors from down the street, Carl and Mary Florrine and their son Carl. Bertha’s son Paul and his brothers-in-law Robert and Bill were keeping watch at the front window, looking for the arrival of her guest.

She heard a commotion at the front door and looked to see who was there. It was Charlie, another son-in-law. He was carrying a hot pie that looked like it just came out of the oven. In the “Before Times” he would have burned his hands carrying something like that. But here and now, there was nothing to it.

Charlie came back to her kitchen and put the pie down on the counter and said “Mom sent this for you. She said you can never have too much pie at a homecoming. ” He bent over to hug Bertha and whispered to her, “I just saw him, Bertha. He is on his way.”

Bertha could feel a tear coming on so she handed the Waldorf salad to Charlie and told him to take it out to the dining room so he wouldn’t see her cry. He did as she asked and when he saw Jo Ann, he began telling her some crazy story and soon every one in the dining room was laughing with them.

As Bertha began to wash her dishes, she sensed something going on behind her. She heard the back gate latch lift up and when she turned to the rear door, he was there. It was Michael. He looked young and strong, just like he did on his wedding day. He came across the kitchen and picked Bertha up and twirled her around, getting her to giggle as he did. Then he put her back down, kissed her and said “You look great, Mom.”

She blushed and told him he was supposed to come in the front door where everybody was waiting for him. Michael said, “I know Mom, but I wanted to see you first. After all, you’re my girl.” Bertha said, “But what about Mary Rose? What would she think to hear you say that?” Mike tapped his chest three times and said, “We all have enough love in here to share with everyone Mom. Mary Rose taught me that.”

Just then, Mary Florrine came through the dining room door and said “Well look who is here!” Then she turned back to the front of the house and shouted “Michael is here! He snuck in the back door!”

Michael’s sisters Josie and Mary rushed into the kitchen and pulled him away, eager to show him the feast and the gifts that were waiting for him. He couldn’t resist and looked back over his shoulder to wink at Bertha as they pushed him into the dining room. She waived him away and said, “Go on, I’ll be right there.”

And as everyone else gathered in her dining room, Bertha stayed in her kitchen for another moment, just to savor everything. She realized once again, that nothing makes any Mother happier than to welcome a child home.

© Copyright 2007 Mid-Century Guy (sdfkid at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233563-Berthas-Kitchen