*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233754-Nuclear-Family---Chapter-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Action/Adventure · #1233754
What becomes of a boy who is trapped in a fallout shelter.
Chapter 2
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World


We pulled up to school at the same time Marc and his mother did.
“Nice morning, isn’t it?” Marc yelled from his car.

“Yeah,” I said, “If you’re not getting smacked in the back of the head with a water balloon. I guess it is.” Marc walked over to the back of my car.

“What? Someone hit you with a water balloon? Who would do such a thing?” he had a look of shock on his face. He started pulling out the plywood and slung a tool belt over his shoulder.

I looked at him, “Some immature person is my best guess. No brains. Pudgy belly. Probably has wide sloping shoulders. Vacant stare behind the eyes, a real stupid guy. Yep, a real winner.”

“Hey!” Marc yelped, “My shoulders do not slope!” I lifted up the back of the plywood while Marc held the front.
“Watch your back man, that’s all I’m saying. Watch your back! Revenge is sweet.” We laughed and started setting up the booth.

A half hour later, we were finished setting up and I was taking a well deserved rest, leaning on the back of the station wagon. I looked down the hill at my mom and Celeste loading up the booth with plastic fish tanks and small bottles of fish flakes, and it was then that I saw her. Kelly Morgan. She was holding a small box that had blue fish flake bottles in it. She was walking straight toward me wearing the brightest smile I ‘d ever seen. I rested my drink on the roof of the station wagon.

Kelly looked exceptionally pretty today. Her long brown hair was pulled back into a pony tail and she had little flowers in it. My heart stopped beating, and then in a quick, hot rush of anxiety it started up again, pounding strong against my eardrums. My legs felt weak. All I wanted in the whole world at that very moment was to run up to her and tell her that I wish she’d spend the whole day riding the rides with me and eating popcorn.

But, at the same time, I also couldn’t help but feel like I should run away and hide.
I felt this strange conflict rising inside me. With every step she took, I knew she was that much closer. Five steps more, four steps more. What would I say?
I felt very self conscious and couldn’t decide what to do with my arms. Should I look casual, or busy? I decided to go with casual and crossed my arms over my chest, and then I thought it made me look angry, so I put them down. Then I thought my arms looked weak and skinny, so I folded them across my chest again. God I must look like an idiot.

Kelly smiled a wide, perfect smile. I pushed down the feeling of nervousness and I managed to crack my lips and give her more of a spastic grimace than a smile.
Her green eyes are, by far, the most beautiful thing I have ever known. Her sun dress fluttered in the warm breeze. And suddenly, I was frozen.
“Hi-ya Ed! Your booth sure looks great this year.” She said extending her hands holding out the blue box.

In my head there is this other person yelling, “Say something you idiot! Speak to her!” But as I stand here and stare at her, wide mouthed and clueless, the only thought that runs through my head is, “What do I say? What do I say?”

“Eddie? Hel-lo? Anyone in there?” she said with a soft giggle, pulling the box back toward her and tilting her head.
“Uh. Yeah, thanks.” I eeked out, wiping my sweaty hands slowly, discretely down the leg of my shorts.
“Me and my dad, and Marc we, uh, built it in my garage. I even got to use some power tools to cut the holes out with.” I said, trying to sound impressive.

“Well, it looks really great Ed. My dad said that you could have these.” She again handed me the box. This time I took it. “They weren’t selling in his pet store, so you could use it for the Fish Booth if you run out I guess.”

“Uh. Yeah. Thanks. Thanks a lot.” I said and she smiled at me again.
Behind us, out by the fence and down the hill, I heard Lisa, her best friend, giggling and then shouting, “Oh Kel-ly! Coming down here any time soon? Hurry up. Derek is waiting for us!”

“Well, I gotta run Ed. Are you going to be here later on?” Kelly said as she started to side step her way down the hill toward Lisa and Lisa’s ninth grade brother Derek. I inched my way toward her, as if to say, “Wait. Please don’t go. Stay.” I answered, “Yeah, yeah definitely. I gotta ride the Tilt-a-Whirl ya’ know!” trying to hide the longing in my voice.

“Great. I love the Tilt-A –Whirl.” She leaned in and gave me a kiss on my cheek. “See you later?” she asked brightly.
I could smell her beautiful hair and I saw her beautiful eyes dance when she looked at me. I was mesmerized.

“Ab-ab-Absolutely! I’ll be right here. Well not right here, but I’ll be around – by the tilt-a-whirl- later on.” I tripped over my tongue, but she didn’t seem to notice.
“Save me a ride Ed! I’ll be there!” She smiled and waved. I watched her turn and jog slowly down the hill, her pony tail swinging playfully from side to side. I wanted to run down after her, hold her hand and tell her that I liked her, maybe even kiss her back.
But my legs wouldn’t have it.
So, I stood on that hill and watched her disappear around the fence. I would ride that Tilt-A-Whirl with her by the end of the day. “So help me God.” I whispered. I whispered it so softly that it was more of a prayer than a promise. And I touched the drying kiss that was left on my cheek by the prettiest girl in the whole world.




****Let me know what you think**** If you like this - read on with the next chapter.
© Copyright 2007 Andolina (memo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233754-Nuclear-Family---Chapter-2