*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233963-Soldiers-Funeral
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1233963
American soldier laid to rest in his hometown
A few days ago there was an article in the local newspaper about an American soldier who's funeral would be taking place on March 15. The article was mostly a warning to the public that they were expecting one hundred fifty or so people to attend his funeral, and that the public should expect some unusual traffic tie ups during the procession.

It just so happens, I live right close to the cemetery where the burial took place. As I was walking by the cemetery this afternoon, I noticed a rather large crowd off to the west. A crowd of several hundred people near the burial site, and about fifty cars working their way out of the cemetery. I noticed a few people in uniform, and then it dawned on me, who's funeral it was.

The young man was a lifelong resident of this small city. He went to high school less than a mile from his final resting place. I don't think I ever met the young man, and as far as I know I don't know anyone who knew him.

Over the course of the day I'd mentioned to several of my friends that I'd seen the crowd at the cemetery. My best friend, who lives near the funeral home, said there was no parking for nearly a quarter-mile round. Other people told me there were nearly four hundred cars in the procession. Todays newspaper estimates the crowd at six hundred fifty, and that doesn't count the five hundred or so who lined the seven mile route to the cemetery.

I'm in tears as I write this. I'm so proud of my fellow countrymen who came out in droves to honor their fallen soldier.
© Copyright 2007 BikeGuy rode 675km in July (rj1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233963-Soldiers-Funeral