*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1234026-The-Seven-Skeletons-and-a-Corpse
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by buffy
Rated: E · Short Story · Ghost · #1234026
Is a scary/funny story
        It has been 3 decades since anyone has been inside the house on Thorn St.

        It's appearance alone was an eyesore. The outside look like it was about to cave in and over run with vines, the inside...no one really knows anymore. The townspeople are afraid even to walk past the house, because of the story. The story goes:

        It was 30 years ago when a newly wed couple, Amy and Chris Spencer moved  into the house. As the years went by they had 5 kids. Emily, Michael, Christina, Sara and Adam. On the day of Adam's 8th birthday, the Spencer's went out to dinner and a movie. When they returned home, they all went to bed. The next day, when a friend of the family stops by to visit with Amy, she knocks on the door but when no one answered, she got worried and went down to the police station. The police chief said they couldn't do anything until they have been missing for 24 hours. Even after 24 hours the police didn't do anything until 3 weeks later.

      A police officer goes over to the house to check on the family. He goes inside to search for the family, while the townspeople wait outside. After 6 hours of waiting, they decided that something happened to him and not to risk sending anybody else in. So they locked the gate to the house. And everybody stays away from the house so that no one else vanishes. Now 30 years later, the gate to the house is still locked and no one ever goes beyond the gate. But for Andrew Rivers, he has been trying every year since he was 10 to get past the gate and into the house to see if it is haunted.

      Now Andrew is sixteen and this year he is going to get in the house. So one night in July, Andrew, his girlfriend Jewel, and two of his best friends Blaine and Tommy go to the house on Thorn St. When they get to the house, Jewel sees that the lock is missing,

"Umm...Andrew."
"What is it Jewel?"
"The lock is gone."
"How can the lock be gone, nobody lives here."
"Well it is, just look." Andrew looks at the gate and sure enough the lock was gone.
Andrew smiles "Well at least now we don't have to climb the fence."
Andrew pushes the gate open and they start up the walkway that leads up to the house.

        When they reach the steps, Tommy and Blaine stop in their tracks.
Andrew turns around "Come on guys; don't tell me you're scared already?"
Tommy and Blaine look at each other then back at Andrew.
Tommy "Yah man."
"You guys told me that you wanted to come."
Blaine "We didn't think you were serious."
"You've got to be kidding me, so are you coming or not?"
"Not, come on Blaine let's go."
Blaine and Tommy turn and run home.
 
Jewel giggles "That's pretty sad and I thought that I was going to be running home first." Andrew laughs.
They go inside and turn on their flashlights.
"Andrew, what are we looking for?"
"I want to see if the skeletons of the Spencer family and the police officer are still here."
"Don't you think the skeletons would be gone after 30 years?"
"Not really, I read somewhere that skeletons can be around forever."
"I don't even want to know why you would know something as strange as that."
"Aw...why not?"
"I put up with you, isn't that good enough?"
Andrew smiles and kisses her.

          They make their way to the kitchen, but the only thing they find is 30 years of dust and spider webs. The next room they go to is the living room, they don't find anything in this room either. Jewel grabs Andrew's arm;
"Don't tell me your scared now?"
"No, I'm not scared."
"Then why are you trying to cut off the blood flow to my arm?"
"Sorry, I just don't want to get lost or fall over something."
They leave the living room and start up the steps that lead up to the second floor. The first room they go into is the bathroom. Finding nothing, they go into one of the kid's bedrooms; they look around the room with their flashlights.

        When Jewel shines her flashlight on the bed, she freezes up and grabs Andrew's arm tighter.
"Jewel, I asked you not to hold my arm so tight."
When Jewel doesn't let go of his arm, Andrew turns to look at her,
"Jewel will you please let go of...what's wrong with you?"
Andrew drops his flashlight and shakes her, jsut as Andrew stops shaking her Jewel screams.
"Jewel what is wrong, calm down."
Jewel stops screaming.
"Andrew look."  She points to the bed.
Andrew looks at the bed, "Oh my god a skeleton."
"Ok, you've seen a skeleton. Can we go now?"
"No, I want to see if there are anymore skeletons, come on."
Andrew grabs Jewel's arm and pulls her to the next room. When they get to the next room there's a skeleton in there too. After they go to all the rooms, they find seven skeletons in all.

"Andrew, come on let's go. We found all the skeletons."
"No we didn't, there's still one more."
So they walk down to the end of the hall and open the door. Jewel shines her flashlight at the opening, and then she drops her flashlight and runs out of the house. Andrew picks up the flashlight and shines it into the room. At first he doesn't see why Jewel ran, but when he shines the light towards the left side of the room, he then knows why Jewel ran.

      There standing in the corner of the room is the body of the police officer, but instead of it being a skeleton it was a corpse that looked like it had only been there for a couple of months and not thirty years. Andrew drops the flashlight and runs out of the house, where he sees Jewel standing on the porch. He grabs her arm and they run all the way home. That is the last time anybody has ever seen the inside of the house on Thorn St.

          I guess we will never know what happened to the Spencer family and why the police officer's body looked like he had only died a couple of months ago. Andrew and Jewel are the only ones that know what the inside of the house looks like, but they won't talk about it and probably never will.
© Copyright 2007 buffy (dream_writer25 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1234026-The-Seven-Skeletons-and-a-Corpse