*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1234049-The-Key
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Short Story · Emotional · #1234049
Based on a painting.
The Key

She was the woman that men lusted after. They did not understand why she was time and time again unresponsive to their advances. In her mind, men no longer had anything for her. Anything they thought they could do for her, she would do herself. Never again would she depend on the likes of men. To the world she closed off her heart. She experienced heartache time and time again and she had had enough. All the things life and the likes of men had taken her through calloused her once loving and forgiving heart. She made a decision never to let someone hurt in the way she had been before. A man’s kind of love, she could do without.
He was the man that women wanted because of the promise he held financially. He wasn’t the kind of man that would take care of the woman he cared for. Gold diggers and women who saw the monetary gain in every man they met he despised. His looks were a plus and sometimes his curse. He was a gentle soul that had been somewhat scarred by a woman that he thought he loved. He never gave up hope that he would love again and not in vain. Somehow he knew the love of his life would come to him.
Coming out of his house, he proceeded to head into town. It was a beautiful day and he preferred to walk rather than drive. Nature always seemed to appeal to him. The sun’s brilliant rays soothed his soul. The smells of grass and life calmed every inch of him. He walked slowly just to take in every minute.
She walked down the sidewalk carrying an armload of bags. It was evident the heat and strain of the load was a lot for her small frame. Something in her eyes hinted the fire of determination she had inside of her. As she came closer into his proximity, he saw something else in his eyes that broke his heart. He saw pain, and anger, and heartbreak. He could tell that life had beaten her down and any man with a heart and conscious could see it. Beyond all of that, when they caught eyes for a moment, he saw hope.
Seeing that she was in total distress, he offered to carry her bags. She at first gave him the look that she gave every man that day that offered. Something in his eyes told her that he was genuine in his intention. He wouldn’t ask for anything inappropriate. She agreed and a look of relief came across her face as the muscles she used relaxed. She gave the handsome gentleman an appreciative smile.
They walked for four blocks until they reached her apartment. He couldn’t believe that she did this every time she needed groceries and necessities. He knew the city well and the nearest store from her apartment was eight blocks away. He was amazed that she had made it to the point where they had met. Obviously she empowered a lot of strength that one wouldn’t see at first glance.
She let him into her place not expecting him to leave right away. Usually there would be some kind of conversation that she would not initiate or continue. He placed the bags on the table, gave her a smile and proceeded to go. When the door closed, something in her told her to go after him. She did and when she opened the door, she was shocked to see him standing there preparing to knock.
Inviting him in for dinner, a friendship began quickly between the two. It was apparent that for a long time, they craved pure, unadulterated companionship. And that evening, after exchanging names and basic information, that’s what they had.
Weeks passed and feelings grew. Though they still remained friends, something more was developing that neither could control. They valued greatly what they had and didn’t want to complicate things.
Her birthday came and he bought a special gift. They had known each other six months and he could not hold in what he felt any longer. He could not go on just being her friend. Tonight she would be his. With this gift, he would promise so much. He knew everything that she went through as did she. Their hearts wanted to love but their minds were afraid.
After the short celebration shared only between them because she rarely kept company, he presented her with a box. She gasped because she told him not to get her anything, though in the back of her mind she knew he would. The box was small, and shaped in that of a heart. Her hand shook nervously as she took the box. He laughed at the anticipation he saw in her eyes.
When she opened the box, a single tear fell from her eye. She looked up at him and it melted his heart. She held a long chain with a silver key on the end. He proceeded to explain the gift but she pressed her finger to his lips. She turned her back to him, and moved her hair away from her neck. She asked him to put it on.
When she turned back around, the tears flowed freely. Then she leaned over to him and kissed him. When she backed away, he fell in love with the shyness he saw. He had found the key to her heart. He had taken his time and let her see that he was what she needed.
Taking her in his arms, he pulled her into him. He kissed her hard and slow. The longing he felt for her inside of him almost made moan. When they pulled apart, she signaled to him silently that she felt what he wanted and she couldn’t give that part of herself yet. Hope nearly left her heart when he lifted her downcast head with his hand. He assured her that he didn’t want that. He wanted her not her body. He loved her and when she told him the same. They shared a passionate kiss that unlocked both of their hearts. Love was what they both needed. Love was the key.


© Copyright 2007 Poetess of Life (chelsea180 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1234049-The-Key