*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1234110-Cat-Eyes
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Animal · #1234110
This story is about the dangers of being friendly. ENJOY!!
    It was a new day, new school, and a new town. My mom and dad had just gotten new jobs in Newtonia, Missouri. I was on my way to school and I saw a beautiful kitten stranded in a tree. He had the most beautiful eyes, some would say like glass. I ran home with him to see if I could keep it and my parents said yes.

    I walked to school in silence for a few blocks, with Matt following behind, then the trees started swaying, but there was no breeze. They moved as if they were people trying to say something, so I stopped to "listen." All of a sudden these branches reached out and grabbed me, but Matt didn't seem afraid. I, on the other hand, was terrified. Then the tree turned into Matt! He looked like an octopus with rabies. He seemed as though he was sucking the life out of me. I couldn't breathe! Suddenly, there was this bright light and a voice calling me.

    "Wake up, it's time for breakfast!" My mom yelled with urgency.

    I woke up abruptly covered in sweat, terrified, and out-of-breath. I just couldn't believe it all; It just seemed too real. After a bath and a clean bed, I noticed the cat was smiling; I knew it wasn't a dream. I went downstairs to eat breakfast and decided I would take the cat into town and leave it.

    After breakfast I went on as planned. I rode my bike into town and left Matt at the animal shelter, while gaining a few bucks for the donation. I was just about to drive into the driveway when I heard a "cat's meow" behind me; It was Matt. I picked him up and drove him to the nearest cemetery. I sat him down, and when I was about to turn and ride off, I saw a tombstone fall on his head and heard the most awful "splat." In a way I felt bad, but was so happy to know I was rid of him for good.

    That night I laid down to sleep with courage. Instead, I heard a voice in the corner of the room say, "I'm not going anywhere till one of us is dead, but I have eight lives left. How about you?" I sat up quickly with fright and saw something like glass flicker in the corner.
© Copyright 2007 Neena Jenkins (neenajay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1234110-Cat-Eyes