*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1234231-Daisys-Freedom
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1234231
young divorced woman dates loser after loser.
'Once upon a time', Daisy Martin said aloud to herself, as she drove the ancient Dodge rapidly down the highway, 'a princess escaped from a mean dragon who had held her captive for five long years with a band of gold.  Then the princess told the mean dragon to get stuffed and she left him never to return.'  Daisy smiled.  Life had been rather dreary for some time, five years to be exact.  But she had a feeling it was about to get better. 

Her friend Gwen couldn’t have been more supportive.  “Girl, it’s about time you left that fat hairy ogre” Gwen grinned upon hearing the news that Daisy had finally left her controlling husband.  There had been no love in that marriage since the honeymoon.  Of course when the bride starts the wedding off with a black eye which she procured on the honeymoon, the marriage is only bound to go downhill from there. 

“I’m just worried about you.  You don’t know a soul there anymore.  You’ll be all alone.” Gwen lamented. 

Daisy laughed.  “People move back to their hometowns all the time and lead perfectly acceptable and happy lives.”

Gwen looked at her with worried eyes.  “Yeah, but those people have family there when they move back.”

“I have family there” Daisy countered.  “They’re just in rectangular boxes under six feet of dirt.”  Besides, I’ll only be three hours away.  You can visit anytime you like.” 'But wait until after I buy some furniture' Daisy thought.  Her husband, ahem… ex-husband, felt that he should be the one to retain all of the furniture, even though it was all given to them by Daisy’s grandmother.  Daisy didn’t care if she had to sleep in a cardboard box, she was just happy to get out of the marriage. 

Finally she pulled up in front of her new apartment.  She sighed with contentment.  The mall was only 2 blocks that way and the bay was 2 blocks in the other direction.  And if the traffic lights were with you the ocean was a mere 7 minutes away.  Life is about to get real good Daisy thought to herself. 

She opened the trunk and looked at her worldly possessions – two beat up suitcases which she had bought from Goodwill only a week ago, which were filled to the brim with the few clothes she had managed to grab before Billy came home from work and a coffee maker she had picked up from a Walmart she had passed about two hours ago. 

“You gonna stand there looking in your trunk all day or would you like some help with those suitcases?” A voice appeared from no where.  Daisy looked around in confusion trying to determine where the voice had come from.

“Down here” the voice spoke again. 

Daisy walked around to the passenger side of the car and saw a man, a handsome man, sitting on the ground putting dirt in large baggies. And did I mention he was handsome?  “Is that a bag of dirt in your hand, or are you just happy to see me?”  Daisy laughed at her bad joke.

Strong white teeth gleamed in the sunlight as the handsome male threw back his head a gave a deep laugh.  “I teach 2nd grade.  We’re planting seeds for a class project.” 

I looked confused.  “You’re planting seeds in a parking lot? 

Mr. Hot stuff looked a bit sheepish.  “No, we’re planting the seeds in Dixie cups in class.” He explained. “I just didn’t see the point in paying for dirt to go in the Dixie cups when the entire outdoors is filled with dirt that you can have for free.”  He looked up at me with gorgeous questioning brown eyes, to see if I was buying his story.  Well, unless he was a vampire looking to fill his coffin with hometown dirt I guess I would pretty much have to believe his story.  Besides, at 4 in the afternoon it was far too bright for a vampire to be outdoors.

I thrust my willing hand in his face.  “Hi, I’m Daisy.  I’m moving into 3C”. 

“I know” he smiled widely showing those incredible teeth again.  “I asked who you were after Lucy showed you the apartment last week. “  He grinned sheepishly. 

“Oh did you now.”  I easily flirted back with him.  For someone who hadn’t flirted with the opposite sex for five years I was getting back into the swing of it very easily. 

He grabbed my hand and I shivered as flesh met flesh.  “I’m Jake in 1A” he spoke as he shook my hand.  He seemed reluctant to give it back, but I was in no hurry.

“I’d be happy to help you carry your things up to the homestead if you’d like” Jake said all the while still holding my hand.

I looked down at my hand regretting what I was about to say.  “Thanks for offering.  I can manage it myself but you’ll have to give me my hand back first.”  I sighed with regret as he quickly left go of my hand.  I may never wash my hand again. 

“If you need anything just pound on 1A” Jake hollered at my retreating figure.  Oh how I’d love to pound on 1A I thought, and I wasn’t talking about the door. 

I walked into the empty apartment and fought the urge to cry.  “Welcome home” I said aloud to myself as I dropped the heavy suitcases at my feet.  For the first 30 minutes I just walked around touching things.  I touched the stove.  “Hello Mr. Stove” I said seductively.  “You and I are really going to heat things up around here.”  I laughed at my silliness. “Why Ms. Fridge, aren’t you the cool one.  Nice to meet you.”  I laughed as I ran my hands along the door of the fridge.  How fitting that today would be such a beautiful sunny day when I was feeling so happy and sunny. 


© Copyright 2007 daisymae (daisymae at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1234231-Daisys-Freedom